ADVERTISEMENT

Obviously plenty of issues, but we need to talk about QB

Plummer was 33-47 with 334 yards and 3 TD's and 0 interceptions today, not sure why he's even mentioned on a thread today. Purdue sucks because their defense is atrocious. Plummer isn't the greatest QB, however, he sure wasn't the problem today.
I couldn’t agree more with you. He wasn’t the problem, how about the fact we had negative yards rushing? About the fact our defense was always out of position and couldn’t get pressure on the quarterback? How about the fact that special-teams is a disaster? How about the fact we had more penalty yards that we’ve had since 2012? Anyone who wants to hate on the quarterback is clueless.
To be honest it’s probably time to look at an overhaul if this is where things are at if you think about what it means when all of these different areas or a complete dumpster fire. But I don’t think you can do that at this point in time except for the fact that there will be a massive amount of transfers available. Perhaps that along with finding a new defensive coordinator and special teams coach could be a ray of hope

Reactions: IUhaterade
I couldn’t agree more with you. He wasn’t the problem, how about the fact we had negative yards rushing? About the fact our defense was always out of position and couldn’t get pressure on the quarterback? How about the fact that special-teams is a disaster? How about the fact we had more penalty yards that we’ve had since 2012? Anyone who wants to hate on the quarterback is clueless.
To be honest it’s probably time to look at an overhaul if this is where things are at if you think about what it means when all of these different areas or a complete dumpster fire. But I don’t think you can do that at this point in time except for the fact that there will be a massive amount of transfers available. Perhaps that along with finding a new defensive coordinator and special teams coach could be a ray of hope

I'm kinda surprised no one is talking about Garvin still starting at center. He hasn't had a good year IMO, and he gets pulled often for poor play and mental mistakes during games. Assuming Cam Craig is healthy next year and if Long returns for another year, then the offensive line should continue to improve. Hartwig can start at center and the remaining open slots should see more competition compared to previous years.

The "knock" on Plummer is he simply hasn't won many games for us. He's piled up some very good stats, but has had ill-timed turnovers, bad passes, or sacks.
It`s not Plummers fault that we don`t have a running attack to take the pressure off Plummer. OSU ran for 215 yards against Neb,Northwestern 148,Penn S. 245, Ill. 285,Iowa129,and Our Boilermakers a minus 2.Thanks Brohm thats what we get for paying you almost 6 million a year.

It should have been obvious when O'Connell won the job that we were in big trouble. Plummer is obviously more physically talented, but he just cannot operate the offense. He doesn't know what he's looking at or what he should be doing. Add to that poor accuracy and things look bad at times. And we still score points. I believe that Brohm absolutely is a fantastic offensive coach, but the QB and line are just flat out not good enough. The line though is at least improved over last year. If we had David Blough right now we would be absolutely lighting up the scoreboard. Plummer is bad and O'Connell can't move.

The defense is bad in every way, coaching and the players. I mean there are no good players out there. It would take a brilliant defensive coordinator for that unit to be good. Special teams are terrible, but what do you expect when you have no talent on your roster outside of your WRs?

Brohm needs to tighten things up as the CEO of the program and he better hope Plummer makes a huge leap or Alaimo or Allen are good. Otherwise next year is going to be another disaster and a firing should be on the table.

Allen won’t even be a true freshman until 2 years from now. Likely 3 years before we’d see him on the field. Next year’s true freshman is Jackson

It`s not Plummers fault that we don`t have a running attack to take the pressure off Plummer. OSU ran for 215 yards against Neb,Northwestern 148,Penn S. 245, Ill. 285,Iowa129,and Our Boilermakers a minus 2.Thanks Brohm thats what we get for paying you almost 6 million a year.

I'm not convinced we don't have a running attack per se. I think Horvath was 5th in rushing coming into the game. I think we can run effectively if needed. The problem is when ur down by 2 scores to open these games and/or absolutely in dire need of a score because you know ur defense probably can't stop the opponent, ur forced to throw more than you'd want.

On another note, our offense as a whole poorly executes on a lot of plays, whether it be a missed block, not finding the man passed the sticks, etc. Frustrating to say the least.

The "knock" on Plummer is he simply hasn't won many games for us. He's piled up some very good stats, but has had ill-timed turnovers, bad passes, or sacks.

He wasn't exactly put into an ideal spot last year. Does Aidan win against TCU, Minnesota, and Penn State last year? I doubt it, but you never know. You could make the case Aidan would have won against Illinois in 2019 during the monsoon, but Plummer might have won against Indiana. So, it's hard to pin wins and losses squarely on Plummer, IMO. Yes, he makes mistakes and is streaky, but I don't think he is the main reason for Purdue's struggles. The roster is too thin and young in key spots to withstand a full Big Ten season. Plummer was nearly flawless in Minnesota, until his last pass. He did enough to win that game IMO. Schiano confused Plummer with pre-snap looks in the second half and Plummer wasn't prepared to deal with it. You could blame Brohm more for that for not preparing Plummer for that situation. Despite my defense, I can easily see Plummer getting beat out in the spring, which should be very competitive.

Also, what does the Nebraska game look like with better special teams and offensive line play with fewer penalties? The offensive line did not have a good start to that game, and Purdue's offense gets predictable when playing from behind.

He wasn't exactly put into an ideal spot last year. Does Aidan win against TCU, Minnesota, and Penn State last year? I doubt it, but you never know. You could make the case Aidan would have won against Illinois in 2019 during the monsoon, but Plummer might have won against Indiana. So, it's hard to pin wins and losses squarely on Plummer, IMO. Yes, he makes mistakes and is streaky, but I don't think he is the main reason for Purdue's struggles. The roster is too thin and young in key spots to withstand a full Big Ten season. Plummer was nearly flawless in Minnesota, until his last pass. He did enough to win that game IMO. Schiano confused Plummer with pre-snap looks in the second half and Plummer wasn't prepared to deal with it. You could blame Brohm more for that for not preparing Plummer for that situation. Despite my defense, I can easily see Plummer getting beat out in the spring, which should be very competitive.

Also, what does the Nebraska game look like with better special teams and offensive line play with fewer penalties? The offensive line did not have a good start to that game, and Purdue's offense gets predictable when playing from behind.

I'm on the same page as you Data.

I thought the offensive line, special teams, and play calling was very poor yesterday. Penalties were beyond belief. I thought the defense played good enough to barely win that game.

plummer isn’t close to the main reason.. you’re dealing with the kind of mentality that leads people to think that mike Tyson will knock an older Evander Holyfield out with one punch, when he had never fought anyone nearly as good as Holyfield ..

there are fans here who place the burden at some circus performer capable of rescuing a bad football team by doing everything. You’re either Michael Vick Or they can’t comprehend that there are a bunch of primary factors that made it so that you could be good and yet still not save the boilers

The defense and special teams place the quarterback in a bad position where top notch play is needed to win a game at the end. This is the point of the game where the quarterback then needs to excel and do all that's necessary to win the game. Some quarterbacks are capable of that, others aren't, and it would be nice to have one that can and doesn't make critical mistakes to end the game. Some QBs can inspire the rest of the team to perform better as they can deliver that win. One reason I loved Montana with the 49ers was that he could do that!

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
Plummer generated 27 points and threw for over 300 yards with 3 tds and 0 interceptions. If we had won, people would all be saying that was a great day. But because we lost, he gets more blame? I guess our running game was all pro! Horvath can do no wrong! Did he Even have over 20 yards today? Seriously, what college team doesn’t have a running back running go for over 50 yards? Does Brohm know the meaning of the phrase balanced attack?

Looking back at our past recruiting and current shortage/depth at linebacker, Horvath was actually recruited as a linebacker, not a RB! Just imagine if you will if we had recruited a LB that year instead of a RB.

our defense has never been big enough or strong enough to stop or match up against the bigger more physical BIG 10 offensive lines. Quick defensive linemen are not the answer. We need beef!
Can't blame Horvath, he only had 7 carries, got 21 yards, he's been fine this year, another guy that is ideally a really good backup RB/third down back. It's all about the trenches, Purdue needs both their O and D line to be better, also need better linebackers.

Can't blame Horvath, he only had 7 carries, got 21 yards, he's been fine this year, another guy that is ideally a really good backup RB/third down back. It's all about the trenches, Purdue needs both their O and D line to be better, also need better linebackers.

they need half of their OL to come back

plummer isn’t close to the main reason.. you’re dealing with the kind of mentality that leads people to think that mike Tyson will knock an older Evander Holyfield out with one punch, when he had never fought anyone nearly as good as Holyfield ..

there are fans here who place the burden at some circus performer capable of rescuing a bad football team by doing everything. You’re either Michael Vick Or they can’t comprehend that there are a bunch of primary factors that made it so that you could be good and yet still not save the boilers

Agree. Sorry if it came across that I was being overly critical, but I think Plummer can still improve in certain areas. Overall though, I think Plummer does a good job running the Purdue offense.

It should have been obvious when O'Connell won the job that we were in big trouble. Plummer is obviously more physically talented, but he just cannot operate the offense. He doesn't know what he's looking at or what he should be doing. Add to that poor accuracy and things look bad at times. And we still score points. I believe that Brohm absolutely is a fantastic offensive coach, but the QB and line are just flat out not good enough. The line though is at least improved over last year. If we had David Blough right now we would be absolutely lighting up the scoreboard. Plummer is bad and O'Connell can't move.

The defense is bad in every way, coaching and the players. I mean there are no good players out there. It would take a brilliant defensive coordinator for that unit to be good. Special teams are terrible, but what do you expect when you have no talent on your roster outside of your WRs?

Brohm needs to tighten things up as the CEO of the program and he better hope Plummer makes a huge leap or Alaimo or Allen are good. Otherwise next year is going to be another disaster and a firing should be on the table.
He cannot recruit an average dual threat QB. Not even close to one.

Plummer was 33-47 with 334 yards and 3 TD's and 0 interceptions today, not sure why he's even mentioned on a thread today. Purdue sucks because their defense is atrocious. Plummer isn't the greatest QB, however, he sure wasn't the problem today.

im telling you.. when people get this urge:

“I know, I’ll bypass the terrible DC and STC, the missing linemen, the fact that George is missing and I’ll be the edgy ‘hey here’s something no one is talking about,’ guy regarding plummer,”

what they are telling you is they expect Mike Vick

Yes, he’s OK, but he’s not a guy who can overcome a bunch of flaws in the roster.

Bottom line, if our defense was capable and our defensive scheme fit our personnel, Plummer and the 27-30 points that the offense is scoring would not be an issue. Our offensive line has way more potentially talented players than our DL and LB`s have currently.

Bottom line, if our defense was capable and our defensive scheme fit our personnel, Plummer and the 27-30 points that the offense is scoring would not be an issue. Our offensive line has way more potentially talented players than our DL and LB`s have currently.
Agreed. He’s definitely a guy you can win with if we are playing defense, running the ball, etc.

Reactions: Bippus33

before a bunch of players seemed to become unavailable all at once, I was of the mind that dale Williams had acquitted himself quite nicely

Reactions: Bippus33
I could`t agree more !!!! I thought that last year when his seat got hot that he made some adjustments that improved the OL and helped us win some games and play IU tough...

Reactions: BCfanatic2020
So what is Purdue is last in the Big Ten in rushing? Purdue is first in passing, and we didn’t hire a dust guru. Sacks happen, wiping out the rushing gains. Stat fact.

Plummer and O’Connell top everyone else in the Big Ten, the only two passing for over 300 yards per game. Each Purdue QB has had 88 completions in three games -- nearly 30 per game -- and both are in the Big Ten’s top four for percentage. Purdue is second in TD passes and third for fewest interceptions. That’s very good.

Yet, if Plummer were blameless against Nebraska, as some here claim, why did he nearly get the hook? Issues. Plummer doesn’t read or see the field well enough, locking in on one receiver while others come open. And his accuracy is erratic, with too many throws that challenge receivers, either behind them or leading them into coverage and hits. All-Americans shouldn’t have to be … not for every pass.

That’s why Plummer is 0-3 despite Moore tools and much lesser opponents (6-12) than O’Connell had in going 2-1 against better opponents (13-5).

Zander Horvath is sixth in the Big Ten in rushing with 73.7 yards per game and averaging 5.0 yards per carry. He averages another 50.7 yards in the passing game with 304 yards on 30 receptions. He’s one of the league’s best backs, but team rushing yards get erased by sacks. 17-0 holes don’t help running games, either.

The line could improve, but the biggest issue is a defense that fails to generate pressure or turnovers or just get off the field. Instead it pressures its own offense to score like a basketball team forced into desperation fastbreaks. But our football fouls don’t get the ball back.

Kid is in year 3. All of our QBs that had “it”, showed “it” way before this point. He’s OK, somewhere in Curtis Painter territory.

Curtis Painter territory? So you say Plummer is going to be the second-leading passer in Purdue history with 11,163 yards, just 629 yards behind Drew Brees? OK. Plummer has 2,541 yards now … only 8,622 to go.

Curtis Painter territory? So you say Plummer is going to be the second-leading passer in Purdue history with 11,163 yards, just 629 yards behind Drew Brees? OK. Plummer has 2,541 yards now … only 8,622 to go.
Painter started for 4 years in a pass happy offense, and racked up most of those yards against losing teams.

Not knocking him. I’ve met him, and he’s a super nice kid. But he’s not on the top tier of Purdue QBs.

Regardless of your "top tier," Painter's the second leading passer in our history and the owner of the single-season yardage record, too. He's No. 4 in career touchdown passes and No. 5 in career percentage.

Regardless of your "top tier," Painter's the second leading passer in our history and the owner of the single-season yardage record, too. He's No. 4 in career touchdown passes and No. 5 in career percentage.
I don’t put much stock in passing yardage. Especially when a lot of it was amassed against MAC and lower tier B1G schools.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT