ADVERTISEMENT

Observations now that I’ve watched

I get hammered every time I say it the honest truth is that we have not been recruiting Big Ten caliber offensive linemen for the past ten years. We're competing with the Ball States and Toledos for OLs, not the Ohio States and Wisconsins. Go look at the 'offer lists" of the ones coming in next year.
Pretty clear uptick in oline recruiting over the past few years. But we shouldn't expect to compete with osu and Wisconsin when recruiting oline.

I get hammered every time I say it the honest truth is that we have not been recruiting Big Ten caliber offensive linemen for the past ten years. We're competing with the Ball States and Toledos for OLs, not the Ohio States and Wisconsins. Go look at the 'offer lists" of the ones coming in next year.

100% agree on this. I think maybe the Purdue coaches philosophy is to recruit guys with the frame, etc, but aren't being recruited by other B10 teams and hope they can develop them into B10 OLineman through a couple years in the weight room and training table. Problem develops when you have the attrition like we had this year and suddenly, your experienced OL goes to inexperienced and under developed.
I'm surprised Brohm wasn't after more OL through the portal.

That seems like a bizarre reason to get drunk.

• Haha
Reactions: purduepat1969
100% agree on this. I think maybe the Purdue coaches philosophy is to recruit guys with the frame, etc, but aren't being recruited by other B10 teams and hope they can develop them into B10 OLineman through a couple years in the weight room and training table. Problem develops when you have the attrition like we had this year and suddenly, your experienced OL goes to inexperienced and under developed.
I'm surprised Brohm wasn't after more OL through the portal.
Two of the 5 OL starters are grad transfers...

Reactions: bonefish1
For a reality check, look at the Minnesota starting Oline. One senior and 4 fifth year seniors. Purdue starts 2 fifth year (G5 transfers), a R-Junior, a R-Soph, and a true Soph. Sixth man is a R-Soph.

The guys who would be seniors aren't with the program. 4/5 were due to injury.

Bramel
Jornigan
Stickford
Beach
McKenna

I don't care who is coaching. That is not a recipe for success at a developmental program like Purdue (or Minnesota). It is boys vs. men. The S&C staff needs to figure out how to keep guys healthy so they can make it to their 4th and 5th years in the program.
I think that there is a valid point here. Most guys can't play OL at a high level until they are 21. There is a certain level of physical maturity that a guy needs to have. Even 3* guys struggle to play as true sophomores. Most guys can't be effective until they've been in the program for 3 years. 4* guys can play right away, although we don't seem to catch many of them.

Reactions: FirstDownB
I think that there is a valid point here. Most guys can't play OL at a high level until they are 21. There is a certain level of physical maturity that a guy needs to have. Even 3* guys struggle to play as true sophomores. Most guys can't be effective until they've been in the program for 3 years. 4* guys can play right away, although we don't seem to catch many of them.
Even then, you would have rather Hartwig not played until year 3. Same with all those guys. Year 3 at minimum. I think the young guys on Oline should be pretty good. But they need not play for a few years unless they are that good.

Reactions: FirstDownB
Even then, you would have rather Hartwig not played until year 3. Same with all those guys. Year 3 at minimum. I think the young guys on Oline should be pretty good. But they need not play for a few years unless they are that good.
I say let the best guys play. I just don't think most of them are ready for a few years. Hartwig is probably an exception. He was a high 3 or 4* guy depending on the service. I'm glad he's playing and for the most part he can handle it. I think he will take a huge leap when he is 21. He will be pushing guys around. My point is that I feel like 21 is a magic number for OL. Guys just seem to be more physical at that age.

I say let the best guys play. I just don't think most of them are ready for a few years. Hartwig is probably an exception. He was a high 3 or 4* guy depending on the service. I'm glad he's playing and for the most part he can handle it. I think he will take a huge leap when he is 21. He will be pushing guys around. My point is that I feel like 21 is a magic number for OL. Guys just seem to be more physical at that age.
Not saying you are wrong. And I think Purdue has the talent on the oline. It's just in the younger classes. They have some serious athleticism in those classes.

Even for 4* it is rare that they don't get at least a year or two to develop before hitting the field.

Michigan signed 4 4* OL this year. 0 are starting.
Iowa signed 3 4* OL this year. 0 are starting.
OSU signed 2 4* OL this year. 0 are starting.
Wisconsin signed 2 4* OL this year. 0 are starting.
ND signed 2 4* OL this year. 0 are starting.
MSU signed 1 4* OL this year. 0 are starting.
Nebraska signed 1 4* OL this year. 0 are starting.
Northwestern signed 1 4* OL this year. 0 are starting.

A couple guys might get promoted before the end of the year, but yeah, this is telling.

With that said, I hope the Purdue staff is selling the hell out of the fact that Hartwig started as a freshman to any 4* OL recruit who 'thinks' they want to play early.

Last edited:
With that said, I hope the Purdue staff is selling the hell out of the fact that Hartwig started as a freshman to any 4* OL recruit who 'thinks' they want to play early.
Let's be candid here. Hartwig started as a freshman because Beach was injured and had to give up football.

Let's be candid here. Hartwig started as a freshman because Beach was injured and had to give up football.
Well ya. The fact of the matter is, Purdue might have a talent issue, but their bigger issue is an experience issue. Look at the Illinois OL. Maybe I'm wrong here, but I'm guessing it wasn't super highly rated. It is very experienced. And pretty good. Imo, rankings mean less for OL than any other position.

You still would have known pretty quickly if Hartwig was just unable to do the bare minimum at the position like a lot of freshman would be

I'm always puzzled that Coach Tiller and Coach Hope found Wrestler's and T.E.'s, converted them and made them NFL quality players. Today's coaches find only OL players and we struggle to muster a running game. WTH is going on?!

This might help explain how I feel...Enjoy.

Even for 4* it is rare that they don't get at least a year or two to develop before hitting the field.

Michigan signed 4 4* OL this year. 0 are starting.
Iowa signed 3 4* OL this year. 0 are starting.
OSU signed 2 4* OL this year. 0 are starting.
Wisconsin signed 2 4* OL this year. 0 are starting.
ND signed 2 4* OL this year. 0 are starting.
MSU signed 1 4* OL this year. 0 are starting.
Nebraska signed 1 4* OL this year. 0 are starting.
Northwestern signed 1 4* OL this year. 0 are starting.

A couple guys might get promoted before the end of the year, but yeah, this is telling.

Good stats. It seems like NW has some major ups and downs. I would make a bet that their success is strongly connected to their cycles at OL and DL.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT