ADVERTISEMENT

NW Game Thread

Apparently our expectations are very different. We haven't had great great shooters. We've had some good ones. Moore and Hummel were good shooters. Moore got his shots within a system. Hummel was our only option once JJ and Moore moved on. TJ was okay. Byrd was okay. Both had their moments, but neither kept anyone up at night.
If you say so. Not sure what game you are really looking at from most of your posts. Just because Hummel was "our only option" doesn't take away from him being one of our best shooters ever. He was clutch.

All I know is that opposing coaches did stay up a bit watchin Byrd and Moore shoot. Hummel too. Remember, we play in one of the toughest leagues in the country, against some of the best coaches in the world. The reason you think these guys were "good" rather than great is because our opponents limited them, just like we do to those who play against us. (That sounded Biblical).

:cool:

Teague, Moore, Hummel, TJ, Byrd. How is that for off the top of my head? Lately Stevens, Mathias, Cline. Remember, Stevens lead the team in scoring the first half of last year. With the firepower we have inside, Purdue is a jump shooter's dream team.
Stephens, Mathias, Cline??? Those 3, COMBINED, average about 13 shots per game. I sure hope we keep "featuring" those guys. I wonder how many jump shooters are dreaming about the chance to shoot 4 times per game.

Reactions: BoilerDeac
Where Purdue players have ranked in the B1G for 3PM/game under Painter:

06-07: Teague 5th, Lutz 13th
07-08: Grant 9th, Moore 11th
08-09: Hummel 8th, Grant 10th
09-10: Hummel 12th
10-11: Moore 9th
11-12: Smith 2nd, Hummel 6th, Byrd 8th
12-13: Byrd 3rd
13-14: Stephens 5th
14-15: Stephens 9th

9 different players have been in the top 13 in the conference in 3PM/g in his 10 years coaching. If you can shoot, he lets you fire. I don’t see why a good shooter wouldn’t want that kind of opportunity.

Stephens, Mathias, Cline??? Those 3, COMBINED, average about 13 shots per game. I sure hope we keep "featuring" those guys. I wonder how many jump shooters are dreaming about the chance to shoot 4 times per game.

This. Shooters need more shots.

I really hope we see more of Kendall. I haven't lost hope in him. We've all seen what he is capable of, when confident. With that being said, I just think there are too many guys now with a leg up on KS for him to get back into the rotation.

Where Purdue players have ranked in the B1G for 3PM/game under Painter:

06-07: Teague 5th, Lutz 13th
07-08: Grant 9th, Moore 11th
08-09: Hummel 8th, Grant 10th
09-10: Hummel 12th
10-11: Moore 9th
11-12: Smith 2nd, Hummel 6th, Byrd 8th
12-13: Byrd 3rd
13-14: Stephens 5th
14-15: Stephens 9th

9 different players have been in the top 13 in the conference in 3PM/g in his 10 years coaching. If you can shoot, he lets you fire. I don’t see why a good shooter wouldn’t want that kind of opportunity.
Oh let's not confuse people with facts. It is much better to find an opinion someplace and run to the board, post it, then defend it irrationally against all comers.

If all you ever watch are the games of your team (many people do just this), you will have a skewed perspective on what the college game is really like. See what has happened to the powerhouse teams on a year over year basis. Look at the consistent (That's a joke) good programs over the years and see how they go up and down year-to-year. Kansas, Duke, MSU, UNC, etc. all experience wide variation from season to season, and game to game.

Some critics of our team expect some sort of linear improvement. They expect a mechanical progression of each kid from game to game. They treat the coach like he is a constant, never learning, never getting better. It is really weird how some of these false preconceptions form. Only a few years ago I recall people saying Painter's teams are always perimeter oriented jump shooting teams. No center would want to come to Purdue because we never get the ball inside. Yes, I remember those posts.

:cool:

Reactions: Do Dah Day
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT