ADVERTISEMENT

Note on recruiting Class of 2022- 5 stars

parkerman

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2004
As is my retentive habit, recent recruiting news got me looking at the 2022 Rivals recruiting. Of all the class of 2022, there are 19 5 star recruits. As always, Duke and Kentucky lead the pack (4 (21%) and 3 (16%) respectively. 2 others had 2, Oregon and undecided. None in the Big, 3 were on the West Coast, the rest fought for the Confederacy (though I think Kentucky was officially neutral).

To me, a few thoughts.

#1- During March Madness, a lot of "upsets" aren't necessarily games with great talent disparities.
#2- Duke and Kentucky are vacuum cleaners sucking up most of the top rated talent. 6 of the top 10 are going there.
#3- If you see one of your recruits is a 4 star, don't panic. Most talent is going into just a few teams. It's evaluation/signing of the 4 stars which probably matters more (and that seems to be a Painter strength).

This somewhat mirrors football, where a few teams seem to devour the highest rated recruits. We're feeling good about 2 4 star guys, Alabama and Ohio State have 4 star guys that are viewed as weaknesses.

As is my retentive habit, recent recruiting news got me looking at the 2022 Rivals recruiting. Of all the class of 2022, there are 19 5 star recruits. As always, Duke and Kentucky lead the pack (4 (21%) and 3 (16%) respectively. 2 others had 2, Oregon and undecided. None in the Big, 3 were on the West Coast, the rest fought for the Confederacy (though I think Kentucky was officially neutral).

To me, a few thoughts.

#1- During March Madness, a lot of "upsets" aren't necessarily games with great talent disparities.
#2- Duke and Kentucky are vacuum cleaners sucking up most of the top rated talent. 6 of the top 10 are going there.
#3- If you see one of your recruits is a 4 star, don't panic. Most talent is going into just a few teams. It's evaluation/signing of the 4 stars which probably matters more (and that seems to be a Painter strength).

This somewhat mirrors football, where a few teams seem to devour the highest rated recruits. We're feeling good about 2 4 star guys, Alabama and Ohio State have 4 star guys that are viewed as weaknesses.
I did a similar analysis a couple of years ago, with similar results. Duke and Kentucky get the most 5-stars and then UNC, Arizona, Kansas, Oregon(!) are regulars on the list, followed by a few others, like IU, Memphis, UCLA.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT