ADVERTISEMENT

Not too surprised by the defense today

TC4THREE

All-American
Mar 20, 2002
But never thought our offense could do what it did against a very good Iowa defense with how we looked against Minnesota and how banged up we are in spots.

Very big win for Coach Brohm and the program. Doesn't fix everything but I think it shows why we don't need to project a disappointing loss like Minnesota through the rest of the season.

Hopefully we can use this as a springboard to bowl game but just as Minnesota didn't project through the rest of the schedule, neither will this. Just hoping it carries over to end our losing streak to Wisconsin next week.

But never thought our offense could do what it did against a very good Iowa defense with how we looked against Minnesota and how banged up we are in spots.

Very big win for Coach Brohm and the program. Doesn't fix everything but I think it shows why we don't need to project a disappointing loss like Minnesota through the rest of the season.

Hopefully we can use this as a springboard to bowl game but just as Minnesota didn't project through the rest of the schedule, neither will this. Just hoping it carries over to end our losing streak to Wisconsin next week.
This D is legit. The 3-QB thing may solve a lot of our red zone problems, if Burton can show a passing threat. Other than OSU, every game will be a toss-up at worst. Shore up the return games, and this team could still win 7 or 8.

Very accurate statement. I was worried after Minny and only scoring 17 ppg not counting UCONN. But the offense looked like it transformed after the bye week. Lots of credit to Brohm for a fantastic game plan.

Reactions: Purdue80 and DAG10
This D is legit. The 3-QB thing may solve a lot of our red zone problems, if Burton can show a passing threat. Other than OSU, every game will be a toss-up at worst. Shore up the return games, and this team could still win 7 or 8.
Wholeheartedly agree on the D... as well as the QB strategy. Really want to see Burton as a passing threat, and not telegraphing to the opposing D that he's going to run every time.

Not sure what we need to "shore up" on the return games.

Unless a team has a breakaway returner (very few teams do), you're not going to make much of a difference by improving 5-10 yards per return on kickoffs, or 5-6 yards per return on punts.

There are significantly diminishing marginal returns on spending substantial amounts of time trying to move from 6 yds/return to 12 yds/return with your punt teams.

If we have people fielding kicks (punts, kickoffs) who are reliable and don't fumble the ball (and, we do), that's "Job One".

Without any "special teams" improvements, it's now reasonable to think we're now tracking for 8 wins, barring any setbacks.

Wholeheartedly agree on the D... as well as the QB strategy. Really want to see Burton as a passing threat, and not telegraphing to the opposing D that he's going to run every time.

Not sure what we need to "shore up" on the return games.

Unless a team has a breakaway returner (very few teams do), you're not going to make much of a difference by improving 5-10 yards per return on kickoffs, or 5-6 yards per return on punts.

There are significantly diminishing marginal returns on spending substantial amounts of time trying to move from 6 yds/return to 12 yds/return with your punt teams.

If we have people fielding kicks (punts, kickoffs) who are reliable and don't fumble the ball (and, we do), that's "Job One".

Without any "special teams" improvements, it's now reasonable to think we're now tracking for 8 wins, barring any setbacks.
You don’t share Danny’s desire for the “National Kick Return Title”?

You don’t share Danny’s desire for the “National Kick Return Title”?
I'd love to have every "title".

From a fan's perspective, and from a coach's priorities, I don't think there's much merit to the internet forum criticism about punt/kick returns, as long as we secure the ball.

Can we continue to "coach up" kids to make good decisions? No doubt.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT