ADVERTISEMENT

Non-conference schedule

Chi-Boiler

All-American
May 8, 2010
Our non-conference schedule seems to be a case of the haves and have-nots. Or the penthouse vs the outhouse. Whatever cliche you want to use. Great teams and garbage teams. NC State might be the middle ground.

Past:
Bellarmine - playing a ridiculous schedule has started them 0-5
Indiana St - knew they would be bad after pretty much starting over with coaches and roster outside of Cooper Neese. They've started 2-3 in D1 games
Wright St - usually decent, fighting for the Horizon. Started 0-4 in D1 games.
North Carolina - getting ripped on for their defense, but you have to figure they'll have a decent-to-good year. 3-2 after losing bad to Tennessee Sunday in the consolation game.
Villanova - will be good-to-great all year like usual. Big East is better, but they should still be the class. 3-2 with an OT loss at UCLA.

Upcoming:
Nebraska-Omaha 11/26 - good hockey school surprisingly. 0-3 in D1 games
Florida St 11/30 - as BoilerGal I think said, they have 4 7-footers on the roster. Hamilton has built his roster similar to Painter over the years. Solid defensively and big. They got beat bad by Florida but sit at 4-1.
NC State 12/12 in Brooklyn - Started 4-1 but lost their only test.
Butler - Not a great start to their season. 3-2 with 3 cupcake wins. Currently down big to Texas A&M in Maui in Las Vegas.
Incarnate Word - Dr. Cunningham's team has gotten blown out by 3 D1 teams, and also lost to a non-D1 team.
Nicholls St - Started 2-2 against D1 opposition, losses to Baylor and TCU.

Overall, it's 4 good-to-great games, 1 decent (Butler), and a bunch of crap.

I would have liked to seen one more marquee match-up. We didn’t play in the Gavitt games and may have picked one up there but we will be in conference play soon and I am sure the competition should ramp up by mid January.

Our non-conference schedule seems to be a case of the haves and have-nots. Or the penthouse vs the outhouse. Whatever cliche you want to use. Great teams and garbage teams. NC State might be the middle ground.

Past:
Indiana St - knew they would be bad after pretty much starting over with coaches and roster outside of Cooper Neese. They've started 2-3 in D1 games
North Carolina - getting ripped on for their defense, but you have to figure they'll have a decent-to-good year. 3-2 after losing bad to Tennessee Sunday in the consolation game.
Villanova - will be good-to-great all year like usual. Big East is better, but they should still be the class. 3-2 with an OT loss at UCLA.

Upcoming:
Florida St 11/30 - as BoilerGal I think said, they have 4 7-footers on the roster. Hamilton has built his roster similar to Painter over the years. Solid defensively and big. They got beat bad by Florida but sit at 4-1.
Butler - Not a great start to their season. 3-2 with 3 cupcake wins. Currently down big to Texas A&M in Maui in Las Vegas.
Incarnate Word - Dr. Cunningham's team has gotten blown out by 3 D1 teams, and also lost to a non-D1 team.

I'll look closer later, but two of the 7 footers for Florida barely get minutes. The other two play.

I say this multiple times every year. There is nothing to be gained by scheduling teams that are typically ranked in the 250+ range. You actually get punished by the metrics for beating them.

Indiana St, Wright St could be good or at least decent any given year.

Bellarmine, Incarnate Word, Omaha, etc. should be scheduled very sparingly as a last resort to fill out a schedule.

Think of it from a metrics / SOS point of view. If you play the #5 team and the #305 team that is the same as playing the #154 and #156 team. But which one is actually more of an accomplishment?

I say this multiple times every year. There is nothing to be gained by scheduling teams that are typically ranked in the 250+ range. You actually get punished by the metrics for beating them.

Indiana St, Wright St could be good or at least decent any given year.

Bellarmine, Incarnate Word, Omaha, etc. should be scheduled very sparingly as a last resort to fill out a schedule.

Think of it from a metrics / SOS point of view. If you play the #5 team and the #305 team that is the same as playing the #154 and #156 team. But which one is actually more of an accomplishment?
Agree with you 100%. Obviously the Incarnate Word game is because of Cunningham. I seem to remember some tie that CMP had with Bellarmine's coach as well?

Painter needs to step and take Izzo's spot so to speak. Schedule a tough non conference and get some of those high profile games early in the year. Keep building.

Reactions: RossMackey

Past:

Upcoming:

It's a tough call, other teams (and especially coaches wanting to hold onto their jobs), have to want to play us also. I'd love to play UK and KU every year, but looking at who Calipari and Self schedule, I doubt they share the same thought.

Reactions: Schnelk
I think Painter does a pretty good job with the non-conference, scheduling some solid teams, some that play styles we don’t get to see in the big ten, and some that are confidence boosters. I don’t think he goes the route of just trying to make sure we get to the B1G undefeated, as we see some schools tend to do.

It's a tough call, other teams (and especially coaches wanting to hold onto their jobs), have to want to play us also. I'd love to play UK and KU every year, but looking at who Calipari and Self schedule, I doubt they share the same thought.
No doubt. And sometimes it just sucks that a team is worse than you thought they'd be, which could be the case with Wright St and Butler.

I think Painter does a pretty good job with the non-conference, scheduling some solid teams, some that play styles we don’t get to see in the big ten, and some that are confidence boosters. I don’t think he goes the route of just trying to make sure we get to the B1G undefeated, as we see some schools tend to do.
Who might you be talking about? 🤨

I only see maybe 2 bottom tier teams on the Kansas schedule.

Who might you be talking about? 🤨
No one in particular, just a certain type of program. You know, the kind that would claim to have the best fans in country, then fill the hall arena two-thirds full and call it a “late-arriving crowd.”

Reactions: Schnelk
That has always been a problem. Keady said that he tried to schedule home-and-homes with the top teams, but they didn't want to play. And then you had Digger and his wussiness. But ND is a no-brainer for what should be an annual game. They aren't the caliber of some of the teams mentioned, but they are a big step up from some of the others. I also think a UCLA v. Purdue game would be a natural annual event, with history to back it.

That has always been a problem. Keady said that he tried to schedule home-and-homes with the top teams, but they didn't want to play. And then you had Digger and his wussiness. But ND is a no-brainer for what should be an annual game. They aren't the caliber of some of the teams mentioned, but they are a big step up from some of the others. I also think a UCLA v. Purdue game would be a natural annual event, with history to back it.

We should play Butler and Notre Dame every year- alternating between each home venue. Also wouldn’t mind playing Villanova, Virginia or West Virginia on an annual basis

No one in particular, just a certain type of program. You know, the kind that would claim to have the best fans in country, then fill the hall arena two-thirds full and call it a “late-arriving crowd.”
The same program where fans claim that a win over St. Johns at home is clearly a better win than another team beating a ranked NC at a neutral site?

St. John's struggled tonight against the St. Francis of Brooklyn Terriers. St. John's will not be a factor in the Big East this year and the BE is down a bit.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
Texas Tech beating Omaha 74-27. Friday game could get ugly. Might see 10 minutes of Frost and Barrett.

Omaha is baaaad. 320+ in kenpom, almost as bad as Incarnate Word. Absolutely no chance a letdown game does anything but keep Omaha within 30

Reactions: TX4GB
Omaha is baaaad. 320+ in kenpom, almost as bad as Incarnate Word. Absolutely no chance a letdown game does anything but keep Omaha within 30
Looked at their schedule so far. They lost to Ball State by 4 and Kansas State by 15. Last 2 against Montana and Texas Tech were brutal.

Looked at their schedule so far. They lost to Ball State by 4 and Kansas State by 15. Last 2 against Montana and Texas Tech were brutal.
Depends how "tuned in" we are. I think 20+ will be sufficient. Sasha seems to get hot in games like this.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT