ADVERTISEMENT

No X-Ray Facility?

Quite possible the most Purdue post ever....

Complain about not having lights and new facilities...

Gets both...

Complains within four weeks of having said lights and facilities.

Well, we have very little to b*tch about with football so far this season so our negative nellies have to make things up.
The Michigan Quarterback was take down the street to the Purdue Medical Clinic...thus the TV comment about being taken a couple of blocks away. Per the Radiology Department whom I spoke with (because I couldn't believe some of the really dumb comments that obviously that were being made up) not only did they provide services for the Michigan player but the very nice woman I spoke with in radiology explained they are ALWAYS manned in radiology when there is a Purdue Football game...even when the Students are not on Campus. So "And that's the way it is"-----realize most of youngsters won't recognize that quote...lol

Last edited:
Reactions: dbartn
1). The Purdue University Student Health Center staffed by MD's, which is about 200 yards away from Ross-Ade field, has the X-Ray equipment used by the Athletic Department you are desiring so to duplicate that at the field would be a waste of money! The time to transport any athlete to the new football facilities or to the SHC would be a difference of seconds not even 1 minute!

2). Hayden Fry brought to light that the home team can do or not do what they wish with opponents locker rooms and on the field the Visitor's Sideline. Unless the rules have recently changed, and they could have, air-conditioning, foggers, misters, cool benches, shade canopies, etc are the responsibility of each team and are not provided by the Home Team! Water, ice and communication lines to the Press Box are required but most bring and use their own communication devices.

3) IMO, the lights are fine when I witnessed them when I was there for one of their night tests and again IMO look good.

My question to you might just be "Who the hell is in charge of your complaining about nothing"?

Beat me to it about the Purdue Clinic facilities...lol. Amazed at what some folks pull out of some orifice or another of their anatomy to try to stir up trouble....

Back to the question from the original poster, how many FBS teams have X-ray facilities in stadium? Is it standard. One issue I see is that you I think you would have to have a certified radiologist on hand to read the scan. Not sure if a trainer qualifies. Don't want to mess with the FDA on this one, trust me. They are pretty picky about diagnosis. If a non qualified person reads the scan and gives the green light for the athlete to play, and something happens, it could get ugly.

Some one mentioned an MRI machine. Now you are talking big bucks. One that can create decent scans will be closer to $1M, not the $150K cited. $150K would get you an okay X-ray system.

The NFL is different, they have lots of cash and many have X-ray machines and a handful MRIs. But they also probably have doctors on staff. Not many college teams can afford that. Maybe Michigan is one, but the vast majority no.

This is just my opinion based on 16 years designing hardware in X-ray, CT, and MRI scanners for GE Healthcare, I could be wrong.

Reactions: 70boiler
Typical Michigan crybabies. If Harbaugh doesn't have something to complain about, he will fabricate it. Just like in 1976 when PU upset Michigan at Ross-Ade. Schembechler blamed the field conditions. He said it was like playing in a "sand box". Late November game after 2 earlier games were played in driving rainstorms had left field in poor condition. But BO believed it was a deliberate Purdue attempt to slow down his high powered offense? Not only is Mich sore losers but now they show they are arrogant contemptable winners as well. The x-ray equipment is only a half block away and is the same facility provided for the home team. Bring some window fans next time, if you see the forecast is for 93*

I've been taken aback by a lot of things at other schools' facilities, fans and coaches but don't think that I have ever gone to their sites to complain. If I did I would expect to be called out for being the dumb s.o.b. that I was in fact acting like.
Grow up and stop being douches.

Your visiting locker room doesn't have AC while the home locker room does. Michigan sat on their bus pregame and halftime, you know like high school teams playing in the middle of nowhere.
Real embarrassing for Purdue Football... Don't forget Purdue goes to Ann Arbor. If I where the Michigan athletic director I would say sorry guys our visitors locker room is going through renovation you will have to sit outside, but knowing The Michigan program they wouldn't stoop to that Level. Nice job Bobo on your classless act. Thanks Mr. Harbaugh for calling them out. Also I have heard if an employee gets hurt very bad they have to go clear across town to the nearest hospital? That's somewhere I would want to work yikes. So much for recruiting... Purdue continues year after year to ruin their recruiting...GO Blue

Paint it pink or do whatever you want from a mentality advantage but to not have AC in a locker room when you have it the other is indeed bush league and quite frankly a health risk. As if there's not at least 1 hot home game a year and that the players aren't already hot on typical days anyway.

Really surprised to read the replies to this thread and really surprised to learn of the lack of these things at a Big Ten school, especially a founding member. You guys get too much money from the Big Ten alone to have football facilities on par with a Texas high school team. I'd be willing to guess even Rutgers has a decent medical set-up on site and AC in their locker rooms.

Beat me to it about the Purdue Clinic facilities...lol. Amazed at what some folks pull out of some orifice or another of their anatomy to try to stir up trouble....
Know people who have been there said it was a joke and they didn't know how to even put a band-aid on.

Boo Hoo....Wa Wa Wa.....grow a pair you pampered, elitest, self entitled crybabies. If you really think that Bobinski and the university conspired to make it so uncomfortably hot in the visitors locker room for Harbaugh and your team, then your fans are more delusional than you seem to be from all the previous postings here. One day many yrs ago, while exiting my un-airconditioned Cary Quad East dorm rm, I slipped on icy steps and fractured my radial arm bone. Not only was I thankful that I could walk myself less than a block to the health center. I was also grateful that I was able to get x-rayed, treated and have the arm set all at the same time without even missing any class time.

I never blamed the AD nor threatened to sue the university nor seek revenge on the president. Get over it---life is never fair nor everything the same or equal at any venues.

Of course, I was pissed the janitor failed to salt the steps, though....................

Last edited:
This is about the dumbest argument I have seen on this post. Who gives a shit about an x-ray machine at the stadium? I agree the lack of AC in the visiting locker room is Busch-League, but to complain about medical facilities, hardware, care, etc. is even more outrageous than no AC in the locker room. Is Harbaugh going to cancel road games at Iowa because their locker room is pink?.... I bet those bastards don't have an x-ray machine either. If you are hurt bad enough to need an x-ray, your day is likely over. I read on-line that most NFL teams keep an x-ray tech on call. So - not even at the game.

Remember when talking about whining from Harbaugh that he and Crean are family....Don't raise your expectations too high...lol!

Interesting quotes from the Athletic Department:

Purdue spokesman Tom Schott said Monday that opposing teams are notified in advance about the lack of air conditioning and can ask for “preferred temporary accommodations.” Michigan did not make such a request, Schott said, and he called the “after-the-fact concerns” by the Wolverines “somewhat surprising” since a member of its football staff conducted a walk-through of the facilities in July.

Schott also said an x-ray for Speight was available “within our athletic footprint and more-sophisticated capabilities are located two blocks away, similar to the arrangements at many other schools.”

I would say if Harbough and Meyer think the visiting locker rooms in the Big Ten aren't up to their standards then two things:

1. That's how it is at non football factory colleges.
2. Perhaps OSU and MU can put their money where their coaches mouths are and help rectify the situation.

From official Purdue release concerning AC:

"Furthermore, to help teams prepare in advance, our visiting team manual highlights in bold type "there is no air conditioning in the (visiting) locker room," with accompanying Purdue Athletics staff contact information about how to request preferred temporary accommodations. We did not receive any such request."

Pretty much sums up what I initially said. UM staffer screwed the pooch and forgot to put a request in. Probably tells Harbuagh they didn't know and Harbaugh makes himself look like an ass. Guessing that guy will be doing some OPI's in the near future!

Interesting quotes from the Athletic Department:

Purdue spokesman Tom Schott said Monday that opposing teams are notified in advance about the lack of air conditioning and can ask for “preferred temporary accommodations.” Michigan did not make such a request, Schott said, and he called the “after-the-fact concerns” by the Wolverines “somewhat surprising” since a member of its football staff conducted a walk-through of the facilities in July.

Schott also said an x-ray for Speight was available “within our athletic footprint and more-sophisticated capabilities are located two blocks away, similar to the arrangements at many other schools.”

I would say if Harbough and Meyer think the visiting locker rooms in the Big Ten aren't up to their standards then two things:

1. That's how it is at non football factory colleges.
2. Perhaps OSU and MU can put their money where their coaches mouths are and help rectify the situation.

.....Oh my! More facts getting in the way of the whiners....Imagine!

Reactions: Indy_Rider
Umm.. just read back through this thread. It was Purdue fans discussing a couple of facilities items, then you jump in as an outsider calling Purdue busch league. Yeah, you're a regular diplomat there bud.

Uh to be fair, I asked a question with this thread title and was immediately attacked for even wondering. I'm not a Michigan fan.

I can't imagine why people think we have crappy facilities. It's funny that people on here for years have been talking about how Purdue's facilities are not good and that's why our recruiting has been bad....now you bring it up and get blown to pieces.

And what's now in the news? How bad our facilities are. It's certainly not helpful, right or wrong.

Brohm will be gone before Harbaugh!!!!! You don't coach at Purdont for ever..... He will get tired of being the third best team in the state soon enough.

Brohm is going to own the B1G West and build a solid program here. Nice try.

Uh to be fair, I asked a question with this thread title and was immediately attacked for even wondering. I'm not a Michigan fan.

I can't imagine why people think we have crappy facilities. It's funny that people on here for years have been talking about how Purdue's facilities are not good and that's why our recruiting has been bad....now you bring it up and get blown to pieces.

And what's now in the news? How bad our facilities are. It's certainly not helpful, right or wrong.

I'll apologize if you took my comment out of context. It was in jest and nothing more.

1). The Purdue University Student Health Center staffed by MD's, which is about 200 yards away from Ross-Ade field, has the X-Ray equipment used by the Athletic Department you are desiring so to duplicate that at the field would be a waste of money! The time to transport any athlete to the new football facilities or to the SHC would be a difference of seconds not even 1 minute!

2). Hayden Fry brought to light that the home team can do or not do what they wish with opponents locker rooms and on the field the Visitor's Sideline. Unless the rules have recently changed, and they could have, air-conditioning, foggers, misters, cool benches, shade canopies, etc are the responsibility of each team and are not provided by the Home Team! Water, ice and communication lines to the Press Box are required but most bring and use their own communication devices.

3) IMO, the lights are fine when I witnessed them when I was there for one of their night tests and again IMO look good.

My question to you might just be "Who the hell is in charge of your complaining about nothing"?

Yes, PUSH was certainly well-regarded for its medical care when I was a student (that's sarcasm, in case you're wondering who's in charge of that). Again, MAC and Conference USA teams have x-rays on site that their athletic staff control. It's not life and death, I'm simply surprised that we just built a brand new training center and it wasn't included - that's all. Pretty logical thing to include when building something brand new. There's a weight room a few hundred yards away from Ross-Ade at the co-rec, should we not have two weight rooms at Mackey/Mollenkopf either?

Yes, PUSH was certainly well-regarded for its medical care when I was a student (that's sarcasm, in case you're wondering who's in charge of that). Again, MAC and Conference USA teams have x-rays on site that their athletic staff control. It's not life and death, I'm simply surprised that we just built a brand new training center and it wasn't included - that's all. Pretty logical thing to include when building something brand new. There's a weight room a few hundred yards away from Ross-Ade at the co-rec, should we not have two weight rooms at Mackey/Mollenkopf either?

A waste of good money to save a two block ride, imo!

Reactions: pboiler18

In the wise words of Boon from Animal House, only we can do that to our pledges!

This additional information only reinforces the lack of class UM Football has traditionally exhibited over the years.Over the course of their association in The Big Ten, Fielding Yost (MICH AD) was responsible for blackballing ND from admission to the Big 10 because of anti Catholic views he personally held.

Then the yearly whinning by Schembechler re; so called prejudicial officiating, perceived slights, inferior field conditions, supposed piped in crowd noise?? etc. 2009-2015 years (Hoke, Rodriquez) player arrests (15) most in Big Ten (in that period) and culminating in the Gibbons sexual assault and rape coverup by the university.

Harbaugh's complaints should have been handled internally with Purdue and the commissioners office. To call a public press conference and shame Purdue Unversity is the height of hypocracy from this coach and institution. But....does not surprise me given the total lack of class and ethics displayed by Michigan over the years...

Last edited:
At first I thought it was a bad reflection on us...

After hearing that Michigan had the option for us or them to put AC in the locker rooms and said no...that's really the end of the conversation.

On the X-Ray stuff.... I don't get why it's an issue. If it's only a few blocks away shit up and suck it up.

If a guy needs even an X-Ray...highly unlikely he's coming back. If a 2 minute van ride upsets you, get over yourself.

Reactions: Indy_Rider
Should we also purchase an MRI machine?

This forum is unreal. I came here pretty nice and get shit. I guess that happens when you have 3 conference wins in 5 years. Just get mad the second anyone associated with a competent program posts anything. I apologized for that PharmBlue guy and called him a loser (which he still is) but I don't even blame him anymore.

Unlike him, I'm just outta here and not engaging anymore. Use to like Purdue too. Oh well. Good luck. You guys should make the Quick Lane Bowl barring a choke job. Got a pretty good team. But your facilities are bottom of the league. Sorry if it hurts to hear.
why would you come to a purdue site in the first place? stay on your own if you dont want to hear anything negative about your post

Again, it is the job of the visiting program to determine where the facilities are and what those facilities provide. It isn't Purdue's fault your own program forgot to do so and ensure they had everything they needed. Had UM forgotten to pack their fans and cooling machines, would you have complained that Purdue should have provided those? I believe Ohio played in 80 degree weather and we didn't hear Frank Solich or Ohio fans bitch and moan about it. That's probably because their team came ready with the equipment necessary. I am sure a simple phone call to the other equipment guy or operations guy would have yielded a quick...'hey, there is no AC in that locker room area so you'll need to bring something for that in the event it is warm out.' That's literally a 5 minute conversation and probably an extra 10 minutes of work to grab the cooling machines needed that UM probably already has in stock....or could easily rent for a one time use.

Seems to me a lot of the issues many are taking with the locker room are simply because they expect to be treated holier than thou because they are Michigan. I'll give the program all the credit in the world for the on field performance and Harbaugh bringing them back from their worst time in program history...but don't bitch and moan about something that could have been taken care of with 15 minutes of work.
Urban Meyer agreed with Harbaugh's comments on visitor facilities at B1G stadiums, so it's not just Harbaugh.

Yes, force every visitor to bring AC units and other equipment. Brilliant solution. How many Purdue grads came up with that logic?

After hearing that Michigan had the option for us or them to put AC in the locker rooms and said no...that's really the end of the conversation.

On the X-Ray stuff.... I don't get why it's an issue. If it's only a few blocks away shit up and suck it up.

If a guy needs even an X-Ray...highly unlikely he's coming back. If a 2 minute van ride upsets you, get over yourself.
No, Purdue's statement did not say that they would provide AC units if a visiting team requests it. Nowhere is that stated.

No, Purdue's statement did not say that they would provide AC units if a visiting team requests it. Nowhere is that stated.

It states that Purdue would provide accommodations for the visiting team to arrange AC, I.e. Contact information to local providers so Bitchigan can make the arrangements, MICHIGAN DECLINED!

It's stated in the manual given to the UM rep that was onsite July 28th. In big bold ass font no less.

Do I need to rehash what the official statement says along with the three other posters that referenced it for you...or does that allow you to understand it?

Do I need to rehash what the official statement says along with the three other posters that referenced it for you...or does that allow you to understand it?

I can read pretty well, Chief. Here is the pertinent part of the statement:

"Furthermore, to help teams prepare in advance, our visiting team manual highlights in bold type "there is no air conditioning in the (visiting) locker room," with accompanying Purdue Athletics staff contact information about how to request preferred temporary accommodations. We did not receive any such request."

Nowhere does it say that PU provides AC units upon visitor request, that PU has provided AC units in the past upon request, or that PU would have provided AC units had UM made such a request. Stating that would have clearly shown that UM would have avoided the heat issue in the locker room had it made a request for AC units, but PU didn't state that. Perhaps the reason is that though PU addresses "preferred temporary accommodations" to some extent (or possibly the best it can), it does not provide AC units.

Sometimes what a statement doesn't say is as telling as what the statement actually says.

So PU's defense is that PU needs to be told of player safety issue without figuring it out itself?

PU is a Power 5 conference school. This ain't high school.

I can read pretty well, Chief. Here is the pertinent part of the statement:

Nowhere does it say that PU provides AC units upon visitor request, that PU has provided AC units in the past upon request, or that PU would have provided AC units had UM made such a request. Stating that would have clearly shown that UM would have avoided the heat issue in the locker room had it made a request for AC units, but PU didn't state that. Perhaps the reason is that though PU addresses "preferred temporary accommodations" to some extent (or possibly the best it can), it does not provide AC units.

Sometimes what a statement doesn't say is as telling as what the statement actually says.

So PU's defense is that PU needs to be told of player safety issue without figuring it out itself?

PU is a Power 5 conference school. This ain't high school.

So youre saying Michigan cant be asked to think for itself. Good to know.

Your ops people dropped the ball.

So youre saying Michigan cant be asked to think for itself. Good to know.

Your ops people dropped the ball.

Hardly. Again, there is nothing in the PU official statement that says that it would have provided AC units had UM (or any visiting team) asked. If UM knew PU doesn't provide AC units for its cramped, two toilet, visitor's locker room, why bother asking?

PU is the host school, it is responsible for the conditions of its facilities. A visiting team shouldn't have to ask for (or bring its own) AC units or any other basic necessity (e.g., running water, hot water in the showers, a clean locker room, ...)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT