ADVERTISEMENT

No. 1 seed in the Midwest

I just glanced at their schedule. They only played 4 games against Quads 1 and 2, with losses at Washington, Seattle, and South Dakota St and a win at Cal. They didn't have to face the 1 or 2 seeds in the Big Sky tournament because they had lost in the quarters already. MT State was the 5 seed, beat the 4, then the 10, then their rival, 3-seed Montana in the final.
Oh, MT State, if they win, have no shot against us. I just meant we like the Bobcats because we know them well and love the school. Don't want PU to pound them! But I want them to beat Grambling. Puts me in a bad spot.

• Haha
Reactions: tjreese
Meanwhile, Grambling challenged themselves outside of their crap conference by playing road games at 6 tournament teams. The best result was losing by 12 at Drake. Every single conference game, home or away, was Quad 4.

Oh, MT State, if they win, have no shot against us. I just meant we like the Bobcats because we know them well and love the school. Don't want PU to pound them! But I want them to beat Grambling. Puts me in a bad spot.
Oh I understood you. Just wanted to put out their profile.

Reactions: Dryfly88
I understand that with Butler. Lot of family went to Butler and those that did are Purdue fans!

Now if we're going by Campuses, MT State beats us all day long! Bozeman over WL by a very wide margin! Love Montana
Montana is beautiful although I've never been there. I think I could take the summers there. You have two great locations Florida and Montana. You obviously have done well. Good for you.

Montana is beautiful although I've never been there. I think I could take the summers there. You have two great locations Florida and Montana. You obviously have done well. Good for you.
Very fortunate to be able to work remotely. Consider myself very lucky to end my working career in those 2 places.

Reactions: tjreese
Agree with this. Watched TCU take a healthy Kansas to the wire earlier this year, before officials robbed them of the W. And either of those 8/9s have played great on occasion. So that level of play can beat us if we are not focused and healthy.

Got to get on a roll, and better come ready @ each step
Tcu has also beat Houston and I think Iowa st or maybe barely lost cant remember.

TCU is not at all an easy draw

I just glanced at their schedule. They only played 4 games against Quads 1 and 2, with losses at Washington, Seattle, and South Dakota St and a win at Cal. They didn't have to face the 1 or 2 seeds in the Big Sky tournament because they had lost in the quarters already. MT State was the 5 seed, beat the 4, then the 10, then their rival, 3-seed Montana in the final.
I grew up in Montana and follow the Big Sky a bit. My hometown NAIA team, Rocky Mountain College (Billings) actually managed to beat the Cats in Bozeman. I don't think they are anything to write home about.

Nah, go Griz! Was disappointed in the final result, but oh well ...

Beat Houston, TX Tech, Oklahoma, @ Baylor.....lost by 2 @ Kansas and lost by 1 to Iowa State.
I guess it depends how strong you think the Big12 is. There has been some analysis that they played with non conference to positively affect net rankings. I might eat crow but I think the league as a whole is a rad overrated and the 7th best team in the league, Purdue should handle. That being said it’s Purdue, so we can’t judge the Big12 on that game either way.

funny thing: a lot of people are picking mcneese and Samford. Let’s say we make it to the sweet 16 and play a low seed again………oh boy. We beat Samford by 50. Imagine that being the matchup……….

Tennessee and Gonzaga! I believe I said I don’t like rematches! But hey, when you play so many teams that are good, you end up having to play at lease one of them again.

I wouldn’t want to play uw, msu, northwestern or Illinois a third time either. I noticed 6 big 10 teams were in the tournament but none were placed in Purdue’s bracket. That’s probably a good thing.

When we talk about the dance, we talk about the matchups. And part of a good matchup is non-familiarity. I wouldn’t want to play Arizona, Marquette or Alabama either. And we all know Duke and UNC are always going to get all the calls by the refs. Purdue’s entire team could foul out in the first 10 minutes against Duke.
I agree regarding Tennessee, although any opponent in an elite eight game is going to be tough. I think that there are far worse matchups that we could’ve received in the sweet 16 then Gonzaga or Kansas, if they make it that far.

Get/stay healthy, survive and advance. Hopefully this team survives the first weekend and starts playing its best basketball the following weekend.

Tennessee and Gonzaga! I believe I said I don’t like rematches! But hey, when you play so many teams that are good, you end up having to play at lease one of them again.

I wouldn’t want to play uw, msu, northwestern or Illinois a third time either. I noticed 6 big 10 teams were in the tournament but none were placed in Purdue’s bracket. That’s probably a good thing.

When we talk about the dance, we talk about the matchups. And part of a good matchup is non-familiarity. I wouldn’t want to play Arizona, Marquette or Alabama either. And we all know Duke and UNC are always going to get all the calls by the refs. Purdue’s entire team could foul out in the first 10 minutes against Duke.
Why don’t you like rematches? There is no evidence we played teams worse the second time this season. I thought we played wisconsin and Illinois better the second time. Same with indiana, Iowa, and Rutgers. Wisconsin the third time we played like we didn’t give a crap because we probably didn’t care that much. 1 seeds only win the BTT less than 40% of the time, don’t read into it.

Purdue now having the best 4 year stretch in program history. Can they finally make it to the Final Four? Anything less is really failure. They won't lose 1st round and have a somewhat easier road than the other #1s. Really only thing missing on this 4 year span is an Elite 8 or further. But even an Elite 8 would feel short of expectations. Is this the year Purdue wins it all finally? Maybe. Is this Painters vest shot at it? Without any doubt.

Reactions: clankhan
Purdue now having the best 4 year stretch in program history. Can they finally make it to the Final Four? Anything less is really failure. They won't lose 1st round and have a somewhat easier road than the other #1s. Really only thing missing on this 4 year span is an Elite 8 or further. But even an Elite 8 would feel short of expectations. Is this the year Purdue wins it all finally? Maybe. Is this Painters vest shot at it? Without any doubt.
Actually not making it to the final four is not a failure. Certainly it would cap off a great year, but the year will not be a failure. Purdue has been great for 4+ months and roughly 30 games. One game will not define this team and will not be mentioned years from now, but the success will be remembered. Yes, it is a desire for the team and the team is capable, but if they don't do it, they will be remembered as a great team years from now when the dust settles. If it were not a one and done where the best team wins more often, then every good team would do better, but history shows that one team wins and the others lose and everybody takes the field for a reason

I like our chances against Utah St over TCU. TCU has 8 seniors (!!!) and a junior who play meaningful minutes. They play with pace and press on D. Not exactly the type of team we want to see in March.

I'm also shocked that no one else seems concerned about McNeese. Yet another hard-nosed, guard oriented team that forces a ton of turnovers. They could very easily be the team we face in the S16. I have them knocking off Gonzaga.

Throw in our matchup against Grambling/Montana St., and there's an outside chance we could face a team with these similar characteristics in our first three games. Sometimes I wonder if that was on purpose. 🤔

Reactions: Roeder
I like our chances against Utah St over TCU. TCU has 8 seniors (!!!) and a junior who play meaningful minutes. They play with pace and press on D. Not exactly the type of team we want to see in March.

I'm also shocked that no one else seems concerned about McNeese. Yet another hard-nosed, guard oriented team that forces a ton of turnovers. They could very easily be the team we face in the S16. I have them knocking off Gonzaga.

Throw in our matchup against Grambling/Montana St., and there's an outside chance we could face a team with these similar characteristics in our first three games. Sometimes I wonder if that was on purpose. 🤔
I'm not concrned about any of Purdue's potential opponents. My only concern is that Purdue doesn't show up sharp and focussed. Every player needs to be locked in. If Purdue is on their game, they will win every game. If they aren't, they could lose to the team that worries us least.

I'm not concrned about any of Purdue's potential opponents. My only concern is that Purdue doesn't show up sharp and focussed. Every player needs to be locked in. If Purdue is on their game, they will win every game. If they aren't, they could lose to the team that worries us least.
100%

I've watched all of our potential opponents except for Grambling and St Peters. If we play to our abilities or very close to them, we will win against any of them. If we don't, we will be in trouble.

P.S the same could be said for the other #1 seeds!

Tend to agree up until the Regional Final, if Tennessee is waiting and IF Purdue makes it that far. But then, it's 40 minutes to lay it on the line to take one next huge step - so hopefully IF a team got that far, they'd relish the opportunity and say "Bring it on!"

How it actually plays out - if I knew that, I would probably be doing something else right now.....haha.

ObPurdue now having the best 4 year stretch in program history. Can they finally make it to the Final Four? Anything less is really failure. They won't lose 1st round and have a somewhat easier road than the other #1s. Really only thing missing on this 4 year span is an Elite 8 or further. But even an Elite 8 would feel short of expectations. Is this the year Purdue wins it all finally? Maybe. Is this Painters vest shot at it? Without any doubt.
Why did you choose 4 years? Why didn’t you go back 3 more years to include 3 S16s and an E8 (2019)?

But I’d say E8 is the floor for expectations—Obviously aiming for higher.

However, anything is possible though, we could run into a 2-3 zone and not know what to do. 🤷‍♂️

Actually not making it to the final four is not a failure. Certainly it would cap off a great year, but the year will not be a failure. Purdue has been great for 4+ months and roughly 30 games. One game will not define this team and will not be mentioned years from now, but the success will be remembered. Yes, it is a desire for the team and the team is capable, but if they don't do it, they will be remembered as a great team years from now when the dust settles. If it were not a one and done where the best team wins more often, then every good team would do better, but history shows that one team wins and the others lose and everybody takes the field for a reason
Greatness is determined in March. Purdue can't go far, no one will ever care about this Purdue team. And it'll be a massive indictment on building around a big man. Edeys NPOY seasons will be looked at as failures. Whether you like it or not.

Greatness is determined in March. Purdue can't go far, no one will ever care about this Purdue team. And it'll be a massive indictment on building around a big man. Edeys NPOY seasons will be looked at as failures. Whether you like it or not.
it is your option to follow any hype created in determining for you what you should believe as told to you. I don't agree with that whether you like it or not. Your foolish games do not interest me

Why did you choose 4 years? Why didn’t you go back 3 more years to include 3 S16s and an E8 (2019)?

But I’d say E8 is the floor for expectations—Obviously aiming for higher.

However, anything is possible though, we could run into a 2-3 zone and not know what to do. 🤷‍♂️
Because I cut it off at the season after where Purdue went 16-15 in 19-20. There was about a 4 year span between where Purdue was good between not making tourneys. Maybe 6 year span. But this 4 year span has by far been the best because it's included the only 3 years in Purdues history they've been #1 and a player who will have 2 NPOYs.

Just imagine if Ivey didn't jump to the L.

There is no excuse for not reaching the FF.

if they don't make it with this bracket then they lost to an inferior opponent and deserve all of the criticism they will get.

The season will still be a huge success, just not nationally.

It still won't change the fact that Zach has entered the Pantheon at Purdue and is arguably the best that ever put on the uniform. Or the fact that this has been the best four years in program history and the future looks even brighter.

If we are going to worry about McnNeese St, what the **** are we even doing worrying about success in the fist place. TCU Kansas and all the rest included. They are mediocre this year,

Im not saying there are bad teams in our bracket. There are a lot of good teams.

Stylistically, you can't ask for a better draw.

As always, our tougher games are the first one of the weekends when the opposing team has time to prepare. Second round and elite 8 are games where we will have the advantage. You can't plan for Zach in 24 hours and nobody has a post up center in the Big 12 so TCU or is going in with their standard defense. Like Maui and all of the other tournaments we do well in.

And when we play UCONN in the finals, Hurley will make the critical mistake of thinking he can stop Edey with Clingan one on one - leading to a 15 point halftime lead. Just need to hold it in the second to win it all.

I'm a Nuggets Season ticket holder from the days when they were winning 17 games a year. I would have bet the house they would have never won it all because they were the same old Nuggets and the same Big Market teams always win.

LFG.

I don’t like seeing all the “destiny” crap. Does not exist, at least in sports. We are guaranteed nothing.

We have got to:
1. Be focused
2. Not allow the competition to dictate pace or style
3. Make in-game adjustments as appropriate (Please Jesus!)

Just imagine if Ivey didn't jump to the L.

There is no excuse for not reaching the FF.

if they don't make it with this bracket then they lost to an inferior opponent and deserve all of the criticism they will get.

The season will still be a huge success, just not nationally.

It still won't change the fact that Zach has entered the Pantheon at Purdue and is arguably the best that ever put on the uniform. Or the fact that this has been the best four years in program history and the future looks even brighter.

If we are going to worry about McnNeese St, what the **** are we even doing worrying about success in the fist place. TCU Kansas and all the rest included. They are mediocre this year,

Im not saying there are bad teams in our bracket. There are a lot of good teams.

Stylistically, you can't ask for a better draw.

As always, our tougher games are the first one of the weekends when the opposing team has time to prepare. Second round and elite 8 are games where we will have the advantage. You can't plan for Zach in 24 hours and nobody has a post up center in the Big 12 so TCU or is going in with their standard defense. Like Maui and all of the other tournaments we do well in.

And when we play UCONN in the finals, Hurley will make the critical mistake of thinking he can stop Edey with Clingan one on one - leading to a 15 point halftime lead. Just need to hold it in the second to win it all.

I'm a Nuggets Season ticket holder from the days when they were winning 17 games a year. I would have bet the house they would have never won it all because they were the same old Nuggets and the same Big Market teams always win.

LFG.
Well said Denver Boiler!

I wonder, does anyone on this board but me know that Purdue lost to lower seeds the past 3 years? It seems to be the world's best-kept secret. I would think that at least a few other people would be obsessing over it and letting it cause anxiety in every aspect of their lives. I mean, when Purdue fails, it takes away the opportunity for me to have a victory in my own life, which is unacceptable. If any of you are attending the game, please let me know. I'll give you ten bucks to knock the hat off of Braden Smith's dad's head if we fail again. That's how important this is. I'm certainly not going to enjoy the drama and competition of this tournament until I see the Boilers cut down the nets. And, dammit, they better do it. For my sake.

I'm not concerned either, but that's not the point. IMO Purdue is the best team in the tourney, and if they are locked in they should win the title. But we should have beat OSU, Nebraska, and Northwestern too, but we didn't.

So what kinds of teams might present similar problems? Discussing potential lower seed matchups is interesting, no? That's kinda the point of March Madness. The giants always overlook the underdogs. Several of this board are convinced we will face the top seed every round. To me, McNeese is worth talking about. They could very well be this year's St. Peters. That's what makes the NCAAT fun.

Last edited:
Reactions: PurdueDave
I wonder, does anyone on this board but me know that Purdue lost to lower seeds the past 3 years? It seems to be the world's best-kept secret. I would think that at least a few other people would be obsessing over it and letting it cause anxiety in every aspect of their lives. I mean, when Purdue fails, it takes away the opportunity for me to have a victory in my own life, which is unacceptable. If any of you are attending the game, please let me know. I'll give you ten bucks to knock the hat off of Braden Smith's dad's head if we fail again. That's how important this is. I'm certainly not going to enjoy the drama and competition of this tournament until I see the Boilers cut down the nets. And, dammit, they better do it. For my sake.
I understand the general point you are making in this post, and it is received.

However, college basketball is a business. This isn't like high school, when you just enjoy your classmates playing and doing well. Painter is paid millions of dollars per year. The university, whose main goal should theorectically be education, spends millions of taxpayer, donor, and tuition dollars on athletics. We are in a power 5 conference and have the resources to be more than capable of going to Final Fours and winning a National Championship. Players even have NIL now and are capable of being paid to play college basketball, beyond a free education.

To act like there should be no expectations at all from our paid players or our paid coach, because that is just selfishness is so short sighted its not even funny. The fans are what makes NCAA basketball such an insanely successful business. This is just the nature of college and professional sports. If you really don't care what happens, why are you watching? You just like seeing students at your alma mater have fun?

However, college basketball is a business. This isn't like high school, when you just enjoy your classmates playing and doing well. Painter is paid millions of dollars per year. The university, whose main goal should theorectically be education, spends millions of taxpayer, donor, and tuition dollars on athletics. We are in a power 5 conference and have the resources to be more than capable of going to Final Fours and winning a National Championship. Players even have NIL now and are capable of being paid to play college basketball, beyond a free education.

To act like there should be no expectations at all from our paid players or our paid coach, because that is just selfishness is so short sighted its not even funny. The fans are what makes NCAA basketball such an insanely successful business. This is just the nature of college and professional sports. If you really don't care what happens, why are you watching? You just like seeing students at your alma mater have fun?
He's so above it all.

I don't ever like having to play against a play in team. That means they've already won one game and have some momentum. I don't think it matters this year. I just don't like it.

Reactions: Old Gold n Black

You seem to be new to the board, so maybe you missed how much I have enjoyed, and continue to enjoy, this season. But to counter your hyperbole, if it makes you so upset (based on your posts the past few days), why are you watching? What is your stake in this "business" that entitles you to demand something from this college team and its players?

You're encompassing a whole lot of people in that sarcasm bomb. I think there's a big gap between a fan wanting their team to overcome recent issues and having expectations that the coaching staff and team find that path and a fan who is as ridiculously unbalanced as you are describing.

Certainly at the end of the day few things in life are truly important at all. I mean why are any of us posting on an Internet message board about sports when there's kids starving somewhere is the extreme take one could have.

But I don't think having expectations and some level of disappointment at not reaching them makes someone quite that bad.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT