ADVERTISEMENT

A new NIL idea

Wolegib

All-American
May 23, 2013
my NIL proposal is for the NIL contracts to include the clause if they except NIL money they must play in ALL of their college’s games including playoffs and bowl games

or Return the NIL money they received.

Players like WR Harrison and QB Williams and other players should be charged with theft or fraud for taking NIL money and then deciding it’s in their personal interest to just take the money upfront and then not play!

Reactions: rwenger
my NIL proposal is for the NIL contracts to include the clause if they except NIL money they must play in ALL of their college’s games including playoffs and bowl games

Players like WR Harrison and QB Williams and other players should be charged with theft or fraud for taking NIL money and then deciding it’s in their personal interest to just take the money upfront and then not play!
Interesting. If it gets to full semi pro status for the teams participating, and I believe it will, that will be a given.

Reactions: rgarlitz and z_one

Maybe do a little more research about what NIL is and the rules surrounding it. There is basically one rule, and it’s that NIL contracts cannot be tied to a on-field performance or playing for specific teams or games.

Reactions: rgarlitz
Maybe do a little more research about what NIL is and the rules surrounding it. There is basically one rule, and it’s that NIL contracts cannot be tied to a on-field performance or playing for specific teams or games.
That's what I was thinking. NIL is not supposed to be pay for play. But who knows if the rules will change in the future.

Not how NIL works. It's about getting compensated for name image and likeness. Now obviously in practice it's used to keep or draw players to a school, but it's not pay to play and probably won't be that anytime soon.

If schools want stars to play in bowl games the year they are due to leave for the NFL, they better find a way to insulate them from an injury that might cost them millions of dollars if it keeps them out of the league.

And since I don't know how you do that, then yeah juniors and seniors who are draftable probably aren't going to play in a bowl game anymore unless it's a playoff game and maybe not even then.

Reactions: PUQBMan.
I wasn’t talking about NOW ! I was talking about the future! If you read my posts, I post ideas, hopes and dreams, not facts! I post to engage people in thoughtful discussion rather than copy and past from internet articles. People here get too bogged down in stats and present reality rather than thinking about the future and change.

I had a related thought. I have to believe a lot of the big time NIL donors have a lot riding on the game’s outcome. That is why they are willing to give certain players $millions. NIL reminds me of the movie:the Natural and sort of like Shoeless Joe accepting money.

I would “bet”. These huge NIL donors are not very happy when their player decides to take a personal day and just not play. I have to believe there was a lot of NIL money invested in Ohio St players. And suspect there was probably a lot of money wagered And lost.

This is why I believe we will see changes coming to NIL in the future. The changes won’t be coming from the schools. But rather, the changes will be coming from those donors giving big amounts of money.

A person is very naive to believe a person donates a lot of money to a player and also doesn’t have a little extra riding on the game’s outcome. People who lose $millions are not happy people.

That is why I believe you will start seeing changes in NIL contracts.

Money wagered and lost would be based on odds set by Vegas/books after NIL deals and signings/transfers. These donors aren’t receiving an advantage by convincing players to come to their team and then betting on them.
Just the suckers. That Vegas makes all of their money off of.

Surprised to hear that from you, Wole. You usually take the position of sticking it to big corporations like NCAA. Based on your previous posts, "sticking it to the players" seems contrary to your nature. Nonetheless, I endorse it.

Surprised to hear that from you, Wole. You usually take the position of sticking it to big corporations like NCAA. Based on your previous posts, "sticking it to the players" seems contrary to your nature. Nonetheless, I endorse it.
I’m beginning to believe the players are getting too greedy. I’m also starting to wonder where all this NIL money is coming from. I spent 20 years begging major corporations to donate money to Boy Scouts. I watched as many major corporations just stopped giving. And it wasn’t just to the Boy Scouts. Major corporations were significantly reducing their giving to almost everything. I was also a volunteer for concessions at several minor and major league baseball teams. And many of those luxury box suites are no longer being rented by major corporations.

This leads me s to wonder, if major corporations are not giving out money, who is giving out this money and ask, why and what’s in it for them.

I follow politics and see certain people giving to certain candidates and political action groups. It’s fairly easy to see. Their reasoning and purpose for giving and that most of them want something and expect something in return.

This makes me speculate there are similar people that give to the NIL and want something and expect something in return for their generosity. I doubt any of the mega donors really care about the player they give their money to. I once knew of a banker in Alabama. He donated money to Auburn and was more powerful than the Auburn AD when it came to the hiring and firing of Auburn football coaches. Everyone bowed down to him long before NIL was created.

Gambling is a huge part college football! I’m just thinking of the movie the Natural Where certain people had a very strong interest in how the team performed. And many of the players were receiving money. I also believe Pete Rose was being controlled by gamblers.

So I ask why are these people so willing to give so much money. And I have to wonder why and what they are expecting in return? I read one article where a player as part of his NIL deal also received a personal services deal to represent the donor’s business. I’m becoming concerned the people who are donating all the big money have a bigger interest and desire just to give College athletes money. I’m beginning to believe they will soon put demands on the athletes involved.

People know how much pressure big donors already place on athletic departments. I know a couple of athletes currently receiving sponsorships mainly from shoe companies. I am worried that the NIL is drawing. In a different type of donor. And that donor will have different intentions as part of his giving.

And that’s why I expect. Future changes to the NIL to come from the donors. And not the NCAA. I expect the donors to have lawyers and complicated contracts. I also see the players looking for lawyers and or agents to be able to interpret the future NIL contracts.

And this is where the problem lies. In the old days, Donors would just give players cash and girls. But now Donors are putting forth big bucks and contracts. And those contracts will be tough for your average 18 year old athlete and family to understand.

This is my vision of where NIL is going. After 2024, I see a lot of powerful people changing their spending habits from political parties to athletics. I also fear their motives will not be ethical.

Reactions: SKYDOG
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT