ADVERTISEMENT

Next years starting 5

Purdue needs players who understand what defense is, and though he improved a miniscule amount, he's going to have to have a massive improvement to play. If he does that at a much better level, I can agree with your that in time....
😂 😂 never changing that opinion about Colvin

Reactions: Dryfly88
Well, a lot can change over the summer. Will be interesting to see who puts in the most work, to see who wants a starting spot the most. I won't even venture a guess at this point on the starting 5. I pray that Braden is staying put in West Lafayette. Losing him would be devastating to the program. I also hope Loyer stays too. Loyer hasn't reached his potential yet and I expect great things from him.

If Loyer stays consistent over the year he will have earned it and will remain the starter with almost a total certainty. I am expecting a jump from his sophomore year to his junior year.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
Well UConn won back to back titles with multiple guards who can lock down opposing guards. Seems like a winning strategy
The perimeter wins titles. More specifically, guards. Great guards win you titles. Last time you could argue that a championship teams best player was their center or a big man at all, was 2015 with Duke. Jahlil Okafor. But that team also has Tyus Jones and Quinn Cook. And Cook was arguably their best player. Before that, 2009 with UNC and Hansbrough(also has Ty Lawson).

The perimeter wins titles. More specifically, guards. Great guards win you titles. Last time you could argue that a championship teams best player was their center or a big man at all, was 2015 with Duke. Jahlil Okafor. But that team also has Tyus Jones and Quinn Cook. And Cook was arguably their best player. Before that, 2009 with UNC and Hansbrough(also has Ty Lawson).
Agree. I am thinking we might have the horses next year. Only question is their experience and defensive readiness....to go along with Smith who is a freaking stud and key to the whole deal. So might be 2 years away.

Well, a lot can change over the summer. Will be interesting to see who puts in the most work, to see who wants a starting spot the most. I won't even venture a guess at this point on the starting 5. I pray that Braden is staying put in West Lafayette. Losing him would be devastating to the program. I also hope Loyer stays too. Loyer hasn't reached his potential yet and I expect great things from him.
Here's my thought on Braden...He's helped get the Boilers to the final game. He's not big enough to go pro, so maybe he's thinking that if he transferred to the right school, he could be set for life financially. Maybe.

• Sad
😂 😂 never changing that opinion about Colvin
Sure....waiting on him to improve enough to prove that he can be a major player. Had he been a major player he would have seen a lot more time. Look at other teams who were in the tourney with fantastic freshman guards who started and played. I'll give the young man his dues when he's earned them.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
True, but those guards were great offensive players too.
Smith, Colvin, Loyer and Heide have shown ability to score. Can they create for themselves and play 40 minutes of hard defense to take us to the next level.

That is all I was getting at here.

I think the addition of Harris and Cox will only bolster our backcourt. Might not reap the rewards in 24-25, but could be epic in 25-26.

Reactions: Roeder
One could argue, based on Evan Miya’s analytical rankings, not to mention the eye test, that Clingan was UConn’s best player this season. In fact, per Miya’s analytics, the championship game featured the top 2 players in the nation at center. In a way it was reminiscent of the 80’s when Ewing prevailed over Olajuwon in a battle of dominant centers.

Of course, other positions do matter. Per Miya’s analytics, all 5 UConn starters were top 20 players nationally and it’s 6th man was #34, while Purdue featured 2 top 6 players, but nobody else in the top 50 and only 4 total players in the top 100. Regardless, take away Clingan and I like Purdue’s chances against UConn.

One could argue, based on Evan Miya’s analytical rankings, not to mention the eye test, that Clingan was UConn’s best player this season. In fact, per Miya’s analytics, the championship game featured the top 2 players in the nation at center. In a way it was reminiscent of the 80’s when Ewing prevailed over Olajuwon in a battle of dominant centers.

Of course, other positions do matter. Per Miya’s analytics, all 5 UConn starters were top 20 players nationally and it’s 6th man was #34, while Purdue featured 2 top 6 players, but nobody else in the top 50 and only 4 total players in the top 100. Regardless, take away Clingan and I like Purdue’s chances against UConn.
Clingan was arguably UConns best player. It's a close call I'd say. His impact was very different from Edey and how he impacted games for UConn.

Back to our guys next year…….thinking Furst, TKR and Loyer starting together doesn’t provide enough live ball, with Braden and Heide being only shot creators, thus Colvin, Harris, or Catchings needs to emerge to starting; need at least 3 live ball guys in the no Zach era

I can’t believe I’m agreeing with you, but I am 😂
Does Myles have the handles to start at the two? Maybe he does but I haven’t seen it. I think he can make a big jump on defense, not sure I can see him being ready to be a primary ball handler by next season. I could be wrong.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
Does Myles have the handles to start at the two? Maybe he does but I haven’t seen it. I think he can make a big jump on defense, not sure I can see him being ready to be a primary ball handler by next season. I could be wrong.
Not sure we were able to see that so far. He’s got a whole off season to get ready tho!

Not sure we were able to see that so far. He’s got a whole off season to get ready tho!
Next year's team won't have an auto double double in the center. We will need guys that can generate offense. However, matt is loyal to certain guys almost to a fault. I think he starts with Smith, loyer, heide, furst, and tkr but it will change with either the starters or minute distribution to Colvin and catchings either starting or playing starter minutes. I personally like Colvin over loyer and heide with next years team makeup because he will hunt shots and I just haven't seen that out of heide and loyer just isn't athletic enough. I hope catchings has the same offensive attitude. I thought Colvin was one of if not the worst defender on the team last year and we still need another ball handler out of the starting five so hopefully everyone grows their game next year to eliminate the holes.

Next year's team won't have an auto double double in the center. We will need guys that can generate offense. However, matt is loyal to certain guys almost to a fault. I think he starts with Smith, loyer, heide, furst, and tkr but it will change with either the starters or minute distribution to Colvin and catchings either starting or playing starter minutes. I personally like Colvin over loyer and heide with next years team makeup because he will hunt shots and I just haven't seen that out of heide and loyer just isn't athletic enough. I hope catchings has the same offensive attitude. I thought Colvin was one of if not the worst defender on the team last year and we still need another ball handler out of the starting five so hopefully everyone grows their game next year to eliminate the holes.
We may start that way, but hopefully Heide and Colvin and Catchings are in the lineup towards the middle of the year. Colvin was significantly better on defense than where he was and he gets a whole offseason to get better. Heide didn’t seek shots because that wasn’t his role this last year. I hope they tell him be more aggressive (and same with Smith) and put pressure on the defense by attacking the rim.

I don’t think Paint is loyal to “his guys”, I think he plays guys that he thinks gives the team the best chance to win, hence him playing Colvin and Heide more down the stretch as opposed to Furst and Morton. Morton got more run than Colvin early in, as Myles adjusted to the speed of the game.

At least early on I see no way that the 3 starters on a Big Ten Title team and National Runner Up don’t start. My guess is Colvin and Heide join them. It’s possible that Furst plays Center and TKR plays the 4 with 1 of Colvin or Heide being the other starter.

Back to our guys next year…….thinking Furst, TKR and Loyer starting together doesn’t provide enough live ball, with Braden and Heide being only shot creators, thus Colvin, Harris, or Catchings needs to emerge to starting; need at least 3 live ball guys in the no Zach era

Agree. Unless he ups his game, I see Furst as a nice role guy off the bench. 0-10 minutes per game depending on match ups. If he is a starter, that means talent and scoring problems for next year's team... Rebounding prob. OK. But trending toward bench for the reasons you say.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Purdues dream scenario would be Colvin making enough of a jump to start over Loyer at the 2 and Heide at the 3. IMO. Loyer would make a good 6th man.
Early on Loyer is in the starting lineup. I think all 3 start. If not I see Heide being the 6th man. Catchings and Harris are getting lots of minutes as well, that’s the 8 that I’m sure of. After that maybe Furst, Cox, Berg, one of the two bigs I’m thinking. I’m not sold on Berg, nice touch and shot, seems awfully slow though, maybe I’m wrong.

Early on Loyer is in the starting lineup. I think all 3 start. If not I see Heide being the 6th man. Catchings and Harris are getting lots of minutes as well, that’s the 8 that I’m sure of. After that maybe Furst, Cox, Berg, one of the two bigs I’m thinking. I’m not sold on Berg, nice touch and shot, seems awfully slow though, maybe I’m wrong.

Agree in general framework with most of this. But with so many frosh we know little about in terms of how quickly they acclimate. 1-2 of them might be a big surprise and take major minutes. Going to be fun as they get to campus and reports start to materialize.

At least early on I see no way that the 3 starters on a Big Ten Title team and National Runner Up don’t start. My guess is Colvin and Heide join them. It’s possible that Furst plays Center and TKR plays the 4 with 1 of Colvin or Heide being the other starter.
Same. Trey is going to start, same with Braden and I'm with you in that I don't see a world in which Loyer doesn't. Not because MP is loyal but because Fletcher is really good.

Colvin-Heide-TKR is not nearly big/physical enough to compete with most front courts. Really need Cam at the 3 and Catchings/Furst/Burgess/Jacobsen to pair w TKR.

I'm less concerned about starters as I am about scoring. We have to consistently score enough points to win most games. Let's say we target 80 points in conference games. We need to give minutes to more players and this is how I see scoring averages shaking out.

Smith 12
Loyer 12
TKR 12
Colvin 10
Heide 10
Berg, Furst 12
Harris, Catchings 12
Smith is at 12 now and I see that going down. I think fans may feel like edeys points will be spread out but I counter I think for certain players he creates more points. How many 15-18’ did smith hit this year because they left their defenders in the paint to hang over Edey? How many times did Edey kick it back to smith? I think his role will shift as more of a fascilitator and we will be counting more on guys to drive to the basket and smith doesn’t have the size and strength to be they guy (or loyer). I think we need a smooge like player or two on the perimeter and that’s going to be Harris /Heide / Colvin / Catchings. Having said that I don’t think we will score 80 ppg. I think you will see longer possessions as we move the ball around more. Our 2020 team scored 68 and 2021 71 and that seems about right.

If Loyer stays consistent over the year he will have earned it and will remain the starter with almost a total certainty. I am expecting a jump from his sophomore year to his junior year.
Loyer has been consistent but he hasn't really jumped yet. Could he? Of course. It's not a guarantee though. That consistency will guarantee him minutes but it won't guarantee him a forever starting role. If he makes a jump then of course he could start all four years.

Reactions: Heads up BOILER
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT