ADVERTISEMENT

Next years starting 5

I don't think your first point is true. We typically put Lance on the opposing team's best offensive threat but Fletch and Braden typically (not always) then took positional assignments. Does he lack physicality and get overpowered at times? Absolutely. None of that is even close to the same as being a 'huge liability' on defense.

I have said the exact same thing as you regarding 10 to 15 pounds of muscle doing him a world of good, I couldn't agree more. I also agree that Fletch could benefit from really taking pride in scouting and prep on defense the way that DM and Rayday did.
We can agree that adding muscle and getting mentorship from former defensive stars would greatly benefit Loyer in the off-season.

We have always had that 1 guy who was a “widow maker” who took on the other teams offensive threat and iced them. Lance filled that role. Saw glimpses and flashes from Cam. If we are going to compete for a title again and make a tourney run, we need 2-3 guys who can do that every night.

I'm less concerned about starters as I am about scoring. We have to consistently score enough points to win most games. Let's say we target 80 points in conference games. We need to give minutes to more players and this is how I see scoring averages shaking out.

Smith 12
Loyer 12
TKR 12
Colvin 10
Heide 10
Berg, Furst 12
Harris, Catchings 12

I'm less concerned about starters as I am about scoring. We have to consistently score enough points to win most games. Let's say we target 80 points in conference games. We need to give minutes to more players and this is how I see scoring averages shaking out.

Smith 12
Loyer 12
TKR 12
Colvin 10
Heide 10
Berg, Furst 12
Harris, Catchings 12

Agree with 80+ pts.
TKR, Smith, Harris & Catchings might be low. Berg, Furst might be high, especially if Berg is the departure & not Waddell?, but got to be a 40+ half team to be competitive on a B10 or national level.

It will be interesting to see what Colvin & Heide can do now that they will be counted on more.

TKR better work hard @ the FT line this off-season. If he does, he might be our leading scorer, many outings.

Brother, I will take that bet any day of the week and twice on Sundays. Loyer starts for as long as he’s at Purdue and healthy.
Just because Fletch started as a freshman and has for two years in no say means he can’t lose his starting role! We’ve witnessed starters in recent history lose their starting roles either because they were overtaken talent and effort wise or because they fit the scheme the team is adopting based on what paint feels is best Purdue as a team. He’s going to have lots of competition for playing time and yes for the starting role. I like Fletch and think he’s got high BB IQ, a sweet stroke most of the time, is good at feeding the post and understands what the team is running on both offense and defense. I also believe Painter when he says all players have the opportunity to earn their spot and playing time based on their efforts, performance and ability. He's trying to put the most competitive and cohesive lineup together and Fletch can be overtaken. If that happens it spells good things for Purdue because a good player and contributor has been beaten out or determined by the coach that someone else just so happens to offer more upside in the current mix of players. In the offensive and defensive schemes being used that best fit the players offering the best chance to win.

Seeing how some people think Fletch is a starter is hilarious and shows me that you guys are never serious about hanging banners.

This school is a joke. The world was laughing at you Monday. Haha, “we are f*****g winners”.

No that’s UConn, UCLA, Kentucky, Indiana, North Carolina, you know schools that hang banners.

Zach, you and the rest of the school, you are just losers. You proved it once again.
When was the last time IU won shit? You can't put IU in that group. It's an insult to the others that actually perform. IU is a has been. They fired Knight and that was it. IU basketball=Minnesota football. Banners and nothing else.

Hope there's just no truth to it. Even from Braden's standpoint, to be maybe best point guard in the Big is tough to beat.

Hope there's just no truth to it. Even from Braden's standpoint, to be maybe best point guard in the Big is tough to beat.

Can you imagine the NIL poachers out there.....and Braden Smith here.

Given the financial landscape of college basketball, I hope Purdue is ready to fend off the vultures. He is the key to the next two years... & any hope of another FF run.

Can you imagine the NIL poachers out there.....and Braden Smith here.

Given the financial landscape of college basketball, I hope Purdue is ready to fend off the vultures. He is the key to the next two years... & any hope of another FF run.
Ugh, so he will probably at least weigh his options. I reread his latest IG post, and it does sound like farewell.

Hope not.

Ugh, so he will probably at least weigh his options. I reread his latest IG post, and it does sound like farewell.

Hope not.
I took it more as a farewell to people like Zach, Gillis and Morton and the walk-ons moreso than him leaving.

He won't get more playing time anywhere so unless it's NIL related (which even then, he'll get paid at Purdue) the ONLY other thing that comes to mind is after the FDU loss how some "fans" said things to him AND his dad and physically knocked off his dad's hat or something like that.

But then again.. Gonzaga (allegedly) came after him last offseason and he didn't bail then. I think the bond between Paint and the players is stronger than we know and what we have seen is just a small sampling.

That is what I am telling myself anyway :)

Hope not.

It was a farewell - to the departing seniors. IMO, its no coincidence he posted it and then Mason and Ethan are announced to be in the portal.

Rumor has it that Braden made a little shy of $1m this year (have no way to corroborate that amount). I don't think he needs to leave to get paid.

And I don't think a national runner-up season hurts his NIL earnings for next season

Hmmm I guess I could see it.

I wonder if it’s more so towards Zach, Mason and Ethan.

He still has all things Purdue and think we may be reading into this too much.

Still sounds like he absolutely loves it here & his team & is leading Purdue again next year to fight for another B10 championship.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
Still sounds like he absolutely loves it here & his team & is leading Purdue again next year to fight for another B10 championship.
I’d agree. I feel like he’s loyal like Zach was to paint, since him and staff were the ones that gave them offers when no other teams did. He has a chip on his shoulder cuz of that and I think he wouldn’t leave.

Interesting the first two posters leave out 2 year starter, Loyer as a starter who started for a NCRU Purdue. I think he still starts to begin next year.

But if he doesn't, means whomever takes his spot will be in the running for B10 FoY.....as Loyer is pretty darn good.
We weren’t NCRU because of Loyer, it was Edey, and that position showed a clear gap between not just UConn and Purdue but many other teams that had aggressive and stronger guards. Until Loyer can muscle up we will be dominated by athletic, strong guards. It’s more an opportunity for us to get better there.

Interesting the first two posters leave out 2 year starter, Loyer as a starter who started for a NCRU Purdue. I think he still starts to begin next year.

But if he doesn't, means whomever takes his spot will be in the running for B10 FoY.....as Loyer is pretty darn good.
As a Junior to-be, he must hit the weight room in the off season.

Just because Fletch started as a freshman and has for two years in no say means he can’t lose his starting role! We’ve witnessed starters in recent history lose their starting roles either because they were overtaken talent and effort wise or because they fit the scheme the team is adopting based on what paint feels is best Purdue as a team. He’s going to have lots of competition for playing time and yes for the starting role. I like Fletch and think he’s got high BB IQ, a sweet stroke most of the time, is good at feeding the post and understands what the team is running on both offense and defense. I also believe Painter when he says all players have the opportunity to earn their spot and playing time based on their efforts, performance and ability. He's trying to put the most competitive and cohesive lineup together and Fletch can be overtaken. If that happens it spells good things for Purdue because a good player and contributor has been beaten out or determined by the coach that someone else just so happens to offer more upside in the current mix of players. In the offensive and defensive schemes being used that best fit the players offering the best chance to win.
Fletcher is not a liability on defense as much as others coming off the bench. He's going to be a starter as long as he's at Purdue. He's flat out earned it.

Reactions: Russ Ford
Purdue needs Colvin’s shooting, he’s got a sweet J, with more time I think he’ll be really good.
Purdue needs players who understand what defense is, and though he improved a miniscule amount, he's going to have to have a massive improvement to play. If he does that at a much better level, I can agree with your that in time....

Fletcher is not a liability on defense as much as others coming off the bench. He's going to be a starter as long as he's at Purdue. He's flat out earned it.
The great thing is everyone can have an opinion. I can see fletch maintaining his starting role as long as he continues to earn those minutes. I can also see him potentially losing the starting role if existing players or the new recruits earn the starting role. My point is he potentially could lose the starting role if he doesn’t continue to improve and someone else earns the role in painters eyes. No guarantee just because you have started in the past and there’s potentially a lot of talent on the team to compete with and put pressure on teammates for playing time. I actually think Fletch played good D in the first 5 games of the NCAA tournament!

I'm not saying that it can't happen, but it won't.

We can agree that adding muscle and getting mentorship from former defensive stars would greatly benefit Loyer in the off-season.

We have always had that 1 guy who was a “widow maker” who took on the other teams offensive threat and iced them. Lance filled that role. Saw glimpses and flashes from Cam. If we are going to compete for a title again and make a tourney run, we need 2-3 guys who can do that every night.
Why would we 'need' 2 to 3 guys who are shut down defenders? Because that's what UConn had?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT