New OL starters

StickPurdue

Junior
Sep 17, 2016
Indianapolis
Tom Dienhart posted a new depth chart for OL:

LT: Hermanns
LG: Stickford
C: Garvin (should be noted Bramel is second and Beach got moved to third on the depth chart. Apparently he has some lingering issue injuries)
RG: McCan
RT: Miller

Will be interesting to see if there is any improvement or permanent change. I am not sure it can get any worse at this point. I have no issues with getting the young guys reps if it isn’t a significant step down. I also wouldn’t be shocked if some ‘19 OL see a few reps before the end of the year.

Purdue should be very appealing to elite recruits because time is available early. I am not sure how much of this gets put on the Haze for leaving the cupboards so bare or how much it is on the OL coach. But if it is the OL coach, a change will need to be made. Go spend the money and get a great OL coach. It’s a must if you want to keep selling Purdue to elite skill position players.

Sucks to hear even some of the guys playing are injured. If I recall some of the starters in the secondary have been playing through various ailments also. Hope someone is looking into our S&C practices. Seems like more than just bad luck.

As far as the OL and recruiting, I hope the opportunity for playing time appeals to high caliber recruits. However, having a solid base of talent seems to be more appealing than for skill position players for whatever reason. Probably because they realize how hard it is to compete on the line right away. And also, a line is only as good as it’s weakest points, so some guys might be hesitant to come and start next to a less talented player and constantly be on an island. It’s hard to stand out as an offensive lineman unless you are part of a solid position group.

Reactions: doubleyous

C: Garvin (should be noted Bramel is second and Beach got moved to third on the depth chart. Apparently he has some lingering issue injuries)

Will be interesting to see if there is any improvement or permanent change. I am not sure it can get any worse at this point. I have no issues with getting the young guys reps if it isn’t a significant step down. I also wouldn’t be shocked if some ‘19 OL see a few reps before the end of the year.

Purdue should be very appealing to elite recruits because time is available early. I am not sure how much of this gets put on the Haze for leaving the cupboards so bare or how much it is on the OL coach. But if it is the OL coach, a change will need to be made. Go spend the money and get a great OL coach. It’s a must if you want to keep selling Purdue to elite skill position players.

Looking at the O line there's really only 2 guys who had any real game experience prior to this year. That pretty much rests on the former staff. Some true and redshirt freshmen do play well in other programs but they normally are mixed in with a line made up of mostly experienced teammates. The issue for Purdue right now is that you've got typically at least 3 lineman in their first year of action and that is a recipe for weakness in any program. Hopefully they can continue some improvement as the year goes on, both individually and as a unit.

what became of Kyle Jornigan? At the time of his signing and brohm could actually comment, Brohm said he was probably the most ready to contribute. if we're looking for healthy bodies he's one. and he already has the size.

I was wondering if Beach has lingering effects from the back injury too. He has the size and when we recruited him they said he has a mean streak when blocking. Haven't seen much of that, but myself having had back issues, you really have to watch w/ lifting and it's always in your mind. I wish him a complete recovery so he can perform to his upmost ability.

what became of Kyle Jornigan? At the time of his signing and brohm could actually comment, Brohm said he was probably the most ready to contribute. if we're looking for healthy bodies he's one. and he already has the size.
Coaches say a lot of things on signing day. It rare that a freshman lineman doesnt redshirt.

Something has to be done because if there is any chance of us making a bowl, we have to win the remaining home games and steal at least one on the road to get us to six wins. It's plausible, but we need some positive changes to happen right now.

I was wondering if Beach has lingering effects from the back injury too. He has the size and when we recruited him they said he has a mean streak when blocking. Haven't seen much of that, but myself having had back issues, you really have to watch w/ lifting and it's always in your mind. I wish him a complete recovery so he can perform to his upmost ability.
Beach has played hurt all season (back) and Brohm says it has impacted his play. I don’t know how good Garvin is, but at least he’s healthy.

Something has to be done because if there is any chance of us making a bowl, we have to win the remaining home games and steal at least one on the road to get us to six wins. It's plausible, but we need some positive changes to happen right now.
But it’s not worth burning redshirts to do it. The key to OL play is get old and stay old. I expect to add 1-2 grad transfers next year and to see improvement in the existing young guys. No successful OL program survives by playing Freshman.

my question is couldn't Jornigan play in 4 games t o add depth, and keep his redshirt status ? beach looks like he'll be out for awhile.

You get to play in any 4 games now and still redshirt. But you don't want to burn shirts for this season. It will be worth it when you have those 5th year seniors.

OT: The flip side of this rule is that people are redshirting themselves after 4 games in order to keep a year and transfer if they're unhappy with their playing time. So while it could help provide a team like Purdue some extra depth on the OL, some teams are losing theirs because a guy who used to start last year got beat out and is mad and wants to leave the school.

Yes, but why would he?

Ok, reasons why he would.

1. our oline is fairly thin dept h wise.
2. our oline is fairly weak and undersized.
3. our oline doesn't excite anybody.
4. he's already has the size being 6'4 and 320 in high school.
5. beach is hurt and may be out for a n extended period of time.

I'm not saying he should start. What I'm saying is he could be added to the 2 deep and spell some linemen for a couple of series in 4 games.

Justin Britt is not starting, but he is playing and is part of the two deep at Iowa as a true freshman. is Britt that much better than our man that he's not redshirting, and our guy is because that's what Purdue always does ? We have many other true freshmen playing and also starting. Why not Jornigan ? because of some stupid tradition n that al l freshmen linemen redshirt at Purdue ? and we develop them and add weight to them ? Wel marks didn't add any weight . And Jornigan doesn't need to add any more weight. I say it can't hurt to allow him to play in a couple of games.

if you’re going to play a freshman, play the one that enrolled early.

if you’re going to play a freshman, play the one that enrolled early.

I'm Ok with that as long as he's not undersized. I don't want to see a 250 pound offensive tackle. like I said, play 4 games to add some depth and give our starter a breather.

Holstege is not undersized and is getting reps.

Be patient, season is not even halfway yet. Jernigan and some of the others may be forced to play, given the mounting injuries

I kinda agree with you in theory here Bigs, but 2 side points:

1. Jornegan is an OT right? So irrelevant to Beach.

2. Just because he's 320 doesn't mean it's a good 320 that automatically puts him in shape to play college football. There could be significant injury risk by putting someone in there who isn't ready. And we don't want to necessarily start a guy on that road.

I kinda agree with you in theory here Bigs, but 2 side points:

1. Jornegan is an OT right? So irrelevant to Beach.

2. Just because he's 320 doesn't mean it's a good 320 that automatically puts him in shape to play college football. There could be significant injury risk by putting someone in there who isn't ready. And we don't want to necessarily start a guy on that road.

Jornigan is a guard, Holstege C, Craig T, Monnott T at the moment

I'm Ok with that as long as he's not undersized. I don't want to see a 250 pound offensive tackle. like I said, play 4 games to add some depth and give our starter a breather.

Brohm is big on maintaining confidence in young linemen and doesn’t like go get them out there too early for that reason.

It's his team. he's also the one who said Jornigan was possibly the closest to contributing on LOI day. I noticed the vast majority of successful colleges typically redshirt their o-linemen. Except Michigan. Michigan is very odd .

many linemen have switched from guard to tackle or right to left to find the right combination. And many o-linemen can and have played multiple positions. I'm not really thinking of Jornigan replacing beach at center. I was thinking he could back-up one of the other linemen as we appear to be very thin.

The grad transfer that came from WKU played both center and guard at WKU before coming to Purdue. .

he's big, and healthy. maybe he could spell a starter for a series or two.

like I said, I'm just throwing it out there .

It's his team. he's also the one who said Jornigan was possibly the closest to contributing on LOI day. I noticed the vast majority of successful colleges typically redshirt their o-linemen. Except Michigan. Michigan is very odd .

many linemen have switched from guard to tackle or right to left to find the right combination. And many o-linemen can and have played multiple positions. I'm not really thinking of Jornigan replacing beach at center. I was thinking he could back-up one of the other linemen as we appear to be very thin.

The grad transfer that came from WKU played both center and guard at WKU before coming to Purdue. .

he's big, and healthy. maybe he could spell a starter for a series or two.

like I said, I'm just throwing it out there .
I'll trust what the coaches who work with these players everyday think about their ability to contribute now.

Sucks to hear even some of the guys playing are injured. If I recall some of the starters in the secondary have been playing through various ailments also. Hope someone is looking into our S&C practices. Seems like more than just bad luck.

As far as the OL and recruiting, I hope the opportunity for playing time appeals to high caliber recruits. However, having a solid base of talent seems to be more appealing than for skill position players for whatever reason. Probably because they realize how hard it is to compete on the line right away. And also, a line is only as good as it’s weakest points, so some guys might be hesitant to come and start next to a less talented player and constantly be on an island. It’s hard to stand out as an offensive lineman unless you are part of a solid position group.
Excellent points.
Top-tier OL recruits know the landscape of career development, and getting beat up by opponents' bigger, stronger, more experienced front-sevens, as a 1st or 2nd yr. starter, probably ain't the type of deal most are looking for.

Excellent points.
Top-tier OL recruits know the landscape of career development, and getting beat up by opponents' bigger, stronger, more experienced front-sevens, as a 1st or 2nd yr. starter, probably ain't the type of deal most are looking for.
It’s too bad there isn’t AAU football where Brohm could offer 3/5 of a team’s line and promise they could play together for three years.

Reactions: Chi-Boiler
Danny Hope is a good O Line coach.....bring him back.

I love that guy......players coach.

Boiler Up!

Danny Hope is a good O Line coach.....bring him back.

I love that guy......players coach.

Boiler Up!

I was interested to see what Purdue is paying their OL coach compared to the top OL coaches around the league. Williams makes $250,000. The top 10 highest paid OL coaches all make over $600,000. I couldn’t easily find a list of the top 25 coaches, but there were other teams (Alabama, Georgia Tech, and OSU) thats were in the 500k range. May be time to redistribute some money or give the staff a bump to get a top OL coach. A better OL coach will help bring better OL talent. We could probably hold serve and give Williams some more time as he is adding a lot of new young talent, but if it doesn’t work that would be a huge set back. Purdue’s OL has been just awful and it’s the healthiest unit on the team. I know the team as a whole is rebuilding, but OL seems to be showing the least progress.

With all that being said, the OL should be on the rise. When you are playing that many first and second year players it means that in a few years they will have the experience they are lacking now. The downside is, if the players aren’t any good or don’t improve, that isn’t necessarily a good thing. I expect the line to improve. I like a lot of the young guys getting reps. The OL was just left so bare as Hazell did an absolutely awful job recruiting the OL at the end of his tenure.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Brohm got paid because Purdue couldn’t afford him to walk away and dismantle that ‘19 class. There just wasn’t enough of the rebuild in place to transition. The ‘19 class was going to need 2-3 years to fill out all of the positions with depth/talent/experience. The number of first and second year players on the 2-deep is shocking. This is the first year the rebuild really showed itself because of injuries. There is no doubt in my mind that if this team was fully healthy they would have made a bowl game. At this point the reps of the young guys is a good thing. We get to see the future and see what we have. A lot of the young guys have showed impressive fight and toughness. There is enough to see a solid year next year if the OL can be fixed. I don’t know if Sindelar comes back or not, but if he does and the OL can be better, there is a lot to be excited about.

Will be interesting to see if there is any improvement or permanent change. I am not sure it can get any worse at this point. I have no issues with getting the young guys reps if it isn’t a significant step down.

I know it was against a bad defense, but the OL looked night and day different. Rushed for over 100, threw for over 400. Plummer has some time to let some plays develop and throw deep. I approve. Time to do again against Iowa, a much better defense.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT