ADVERTISEMENT

New commit

I hope he's amazing, congrats CJ. Painter doesn't take a guys just to take them, so he sees something there. Some Smith kid didn't have much in the way of high major offers and it seems like he'll work out pretty well.

On the flip side, I hope this isn't a negative leading indicator for Harris.

Last edited:
I hope he's amazing, congrats CJ. Painter doesn't take a guys just to take him, so he sees something there. Some Smith kid didn't have much in the way of high major offers and it seems like he'll work out pretty well.

My guess is that Perry is likely going to Ole Miss and am afraid that Harris is leaning elsewhere too. Hopefully wrong on one or both but we’ll see!

From a 247 July article:
CJ Cox, Middlesex Magic - Cox came into the grassroots season known as a gritty, two-way role player. He ended it as the primary offensive option for a team that won the UAA championship a week ago. On Saturday, it was a 29-point performance. On Sunday, it was another 26. His shooting has evolved into a weapon, while he’s also rebounding the ball at a high-level from the perimeter and simultaneously showing all the toughness and intangibles that he’s been known for.

If Perry and his family want to play for Beard…we’ll than.

Harris….if he ends up at GT, I won’t be shocked.

Reactions: oldboiler52
can't believe we can't land one of them. Bad news to me. Also noticed Burns is going to Mizzou
We dropped out of the Burns recruitment some time ago. He was interested in Purdue but we cut the cord. Not sure why? It seems Perry really liked his Missouri visit and Ole Miss really pursing him. Purdue still possible. Purdue is still mentioned as front runner for Harris but still no commit , so patiently waiting and hoping the prognosticators are right and he joins the 2024 boilers class!

We dropped out of the Burns recruitment some time ago. He was interested in Purdue but we cut the cord. Not sure why? It seems Perry really liked his Missouri visit and Ole Miss really pursing him. Purdue still possible. Purdue is still mentioned as front runner for Harris but still no commit , so patiently waiting and hoping the prognosticators are right and he joins the 2024 boilers class!
got to get Harris at least. Just mentioned Burns as news, think we could do better than him.

Is he a Zero Star Recruit?

That was my ranking coming out of HS as well despite the projected Intramural dominance.

Good luck to the young man.

CJ Cox​

Player Rating​

i

247SPORTS​

N/A

247SPORTS COMPOSITE®​

N/A

That was my ranking coming out of HS as well despite the projected Intramural dominance.

CJ Cox​

Player Rating​

i

247SPORTS​

N/A

247SPORTS COMPOSITE®​

N/A
to me, this means we will not get Perry so hopefully got to land Harris

How could it not be?
Not sure I understand your question but I'll take a stab. I don't know that these are true, just possibilities.
  • MP and staff want to take two more guards, don't think they'll get Perry and like CJ enough to take him as a second guard.
  • See point one but rather than not thinking they'll get Perry, they like CJ as much or better than Perry and make it a 'first to accept' type of situation.
  • MP and staff don't have any indicators on Harris but recognize there's a chance they won't sign him and like CJ enough to think that he'll be a good player and fit regardless of whether Harris signs.

247 profile says 6'2", 175 lbs. He looks like he's got some decent length from the pics I saw of him.
Saw a write up (sorry, no link) that said 'long and athletic'. Jones might be a good comp, probably a little taller and longer.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Good write up.

Says Painter was in Vegas to watch Indy Elite (assuming Perry). Ended up seeing Cox and flew out the next week to see him at his school.

Hopefully this means we are still in on Harris?

Well that is a surprise????
Thanks for write up.....as I know next to nothing about this kid. Typically, when CMP goes in a new direction that means the old direction is over. Hope that says more about Perry, and a whole lot less about Harris.

My guess is that Perry is likely going to Ole Miss and am afraid that Harris is leaning elsewhere too. Hopefully wrong on one or both but we’ll see!

From a 247 July article:
CJ Cox, Middlesex Magic - Cox came into the grassroots season known as a gritty, two-way role player. He ended it as the primary offensive option for a team that won the UAA championship a week ago. On Saturday, it was a 29-point performance. On Sunday, it was another 26. His shooting has evolved into a weapon, while he’s also rebounding the ball at a high-level from the perimeter and simultaneously showing all the toughness and intangibles that he’s been known for.

Looks like a major difference maker on the AAU level. Hope that transpires on the college level. Like his size and the comments about his defensive ability. Looks like he was putting up the floor performance that CMP expected out of Perry.....but saw in Cox. CMP knows recruits so I trust his shift in judgement here and his quick reaction to what he saw.

Last edited:
If Painter was impressed enough to act that quickly, he obviously saw something that he loved. One thing that becomes obvious when you watch the NCAA Tournament (or take note of transfers from small schools to big schools) is that there is a lot of guard talent that goes under the radar and gets missed by the big schools. I have to assume that Cox was about to become one of those guys when he was noticed by Painter. After all, it’s still pretty early. Painter wasn’t forced into this.

This caught me off guard, I had heard nothing about this kid. A follower sent me a picture of him with Painter at the game. I assumed he was a 2026 recruit. IMO 3 guards in 2024 class is the max. In Cox he got the defensive stopper and scorer he was after. Just in case TKR leaves this year we need another big will see it playout.

If Painter was impressed enough to act that quickly, he obviously saw something that he loved. One thing that becomes obvious when you watch the NCAA Tournament (or take note of transfers from small schools to big schools) is that there is a lot of guard talent that goes under the radar and gets missed by the big schools. I have to assume that Cox was about to become one of those guys when he was noticed by Painter. After all, it’s still pretty early. Painter wasn’t forced into this.
I've said this about guards for a while. The population offers many more good guards than bigs just due to the numbers and why quality bigs are so important. It's a numbers game of opportunity.

I've not seen anyone mention this-"His mid-range pull-up has been the most reliable part of his individual offense, but he’s now shooting it more fluidly and confidently behind the arc." Those with a "game" in the mid-range have caused Purdue problems in the somewhat recent past for Purdue's D...and Purdue has not had many with a mid-range game...

??? Clarify please, TIA
If TKR only plays 10-15 min this year after Painter has said we need to get him the ball and more playing time, then I’d assume he’d get pretty frustrated by not playing much. That said, one would assume he’d be the main big guy next year and would play a ton of minutes…just would hope if he doesn’t play a ton this year (who knows what’s going to happen) it doesn’t get him thinking about other opportunities elsewhere (hopefully he won’t care if that were the scenario).

CJ Cox​

Player Rating​

i

247SPORTS​

N/A

247SPORTS COMPOSITE®​

N/A
Remind me what the 4 and 5 stars for IU have accomplished in the last 20 years? How many S16, E8, and tourney appearances have they led IU to?

This caught me off guard, I had heard nothing about this kid. A follower sent me a picture of him with Painter at the game. I assumed he was a 2026 recruit. IMO 3 guards in 2024 class is the max. In Cox he got the defensive stopper and scorer he was after. Just in case TKR leaves this year we need another big will see it playout.
IF we land Harris that would be a good complement of different styles of guard play in the 3 guards. Benter SG, Harris CG & Cox PG. I believe the class would stay at 5 with Burgess and Catchings in the front court. Do you feel the need to add to Catchings and Burgess in this class?

IF we land Harris that would be a good complement of different styles of guard play in the 3 guards. Benter SG, Harris CG & Cox PG. I believe the class would stay at 5 with Burgess and Catchings in the front court. Do you feel the need to add to Catchings and Burgess in this class?
I would say no. Add 1-2 in the next class or year after.

Will be a bummer if TKR does not get at at least 20 - 25 minutes per game. I wouldn't blame him for leaving.

Not really clear on projections but IMO TKR will jump to the NBA . I want Eric Reibe, EJ Walker and Jalen Haralson in 2025 7'1 Reibe, 6'8 Walker with Haralson 6'7. Tons of recruiting time has been invested in them.

Not really clear on projections but IMO TKR will jump to the NBA . I want Eric Reibe, EJ Walker and Jalen Haralson in 2025 7'1 Reibe, 6'8 Walker with Haralson 6'7. Tons of recruiting time has been invested in them.
TKR to the NBA after this season?? Wow, he would have to show a huge jump in ability to even sniff the league after this season. I sure hope you are right, but I really doubt that.

I hope he's amazing, congrats CJ. Painter doesn't take a guys just to take them, so he sees something there. Some Smith kid didn't have much in the way of high major offers and it seems like he'll work out pretty well.

It is not negative to Harris. Many comments support this.

TRK is going to have to make leaps & bounds improvement to make the NBA... he couldn't even make the starting lineup last year. I love the kid, but don't see that happening this year.

TRK is going to have to make leaps & bounds improvement to make the NBA... he couldn't even make the starting lineup last year. I love the kid, but don't see that happening this year.
He will benefit from having plays ran for him this year. The NBA drafts on potential and kid has more than enough of that going for him. IMO he will make the jump we all expect I am just pushing that up a year as opposed to my peers.

Painter has shown an eye for guys like this over the years. I like that recruits don't need to be 4 or 5 stars for him to offer. Very few HM coaches have the balls to do that.

At worst you're looking at a PJ Thompson 4 year type of program player. Every team needs those guys sprinkled in. Or Painter could be onto the next Braden Smith or Edey that the whole country slept on....

Like everyone else, still really hope we get Harris ....

I think Sisley and Moreno have a huge amount of potential as well. I’d like those you mentioned but getting Haralson with all of the competition will be challenging! I would take Sisley/Walker and Moreno/Reibe if the opportunity presented itself or just about any combination of the 4 lol!

Reactions: oldboiler52
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT