New B10 B-Ball Coaching rankings

This is an interesting challenge. OK, I'll play:
1. Izzo
1. Painter
3. Gard
4. Turgeon
5. Hoiberg
6. Chambers

Just for fun, going off of NCAA appearances while in B1G and overall B1G finishes I've got....

1. Izzo
2. Painter
3. Holtman
4. Turgeon, McCaffery, Pitino, Gard
8. Collins
9. Archie
10. Chambers
11. Piekel, Underwood

I'll wait and see on Hoiberg, everyone always like the new guy.....

In order by the total number of Big Ten wins I expect over the next 10 years (in a hypothetical world where no coaches leave or get fired):
  1. Holtmann
  2. Izzo
  3. Painter
  4. Turgeon
  5. Hoiberg
  6. Gard
  7. Miller
  8. McCaffrey
  9. Pitino
  10. Pikiell
  11. Underwood
  12. Howard
  13. Chambers
  14. Collins

In order by the total number of Big Ten wins I expect over the next 10 years (in a hypothetical world where no coaches leave or get fired):
  1. Holtmann
  2. Izzo
  3. Painter
  4. Turgeon
  5. Hoiberg
  6. Gard
  7. Miller
  8. McCaffrey
  9. Pitino
  10. Pikiell
  11. Underwood
  12. Howard
  13. Chambers
  14. Collins

I’d slip holtmann down a couple places and move underwood and Howard up a couple places.

Other than that, I pretty much agree.

1. Holtmann
  2. Izzo
  3. Painter
  4. Turgeon
  5. Hoiberg
  6. Gard
  7. Miller
  8. McCaffrey
  9. Pitino
  10. Pikiell
  11. Underwood
  12. Howard
  13. Chambers
  14. Collins
#1 is Holtmann? Really? Holtmann?

This guy is going to have more wins than Izzo and Painter? Really? Wow, not a call I would make.

:cool:

#1 is Holtmann? Really? Holtmann?

This guy is going to have more wins than Izzo and Painter? Really? Wow, not a call I would make.

:cool:

From about 2006 to about 2012, the height of the Thad Matta era, the road to the Big Ten title ran through Columbus. When that program has a guy who can both recruit and draw up plays at an elite level, combined with the institutional advantages they have (football money and being undisputed alpha dog in a state full of talent), they've got a machine with more horsepower than anyone else can match. Holtmann has the X's and O's, and if you look at the class he's bringing in as freshmen next year, it's pretty clear he can freaking recruit, too. If Thad didn't have his health problems he'd have won at least one and probably multiple national championships. Holtmann will have them back at that level.

From about 2006 to about 2012, the height of the Thad Matta era, the road to the Big Ten title ran through Columbus. When that program has a guy who can both recruit and draw up plays at an elite level, combined with the institutional advantages they have (football money and being undisputed alpha dog in a state full of talent), they've got a machine with more horsepower than anyone else can match. Holtmann has the X's and O's, and if you look at the class he's bringing in as freshmen next year, it's pretty clear he can freaking recruit, too. If Thad didn't have his health problems he'd have won at least one and probably multiple national championships. Holtmann will have them back at that level.
I can't disagree about the OSU resource strength. I guess I am not that impressed with Holtman yet. Without KBD, last year his team was not impressive. However, the guy should have his chance to prove his capabilities, with his own recruits.

Reactions: Purdue85
Gard desperately needs to sign the Hauser brothers. If he doesn’t, then the Badger fans strap him on a rail from Madison and send him down the Monon line. Bennett then leaves VA for WI to rebuild in a couple years.

Ok, since there are no wrong answers, I'll give mine. Unproven coaches (Howard) are exactly that, so I don't feel it's fair to speculate on what they could be. Hoiberg at least has a track record in the college game. 4 through 6 were pretty tough, ended up more of a gut thing.

1. Izzo
2. Painter
3. Turgeon
4. Holtmann
5. Gard
6. Pitino
7. Fran
8. Hoiberg
9. Archie
10. Collins
11. Underwood
12. Pikiel