ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching salary

FirstDownB

All-American
Oct 12, 2015
Hypothetical question for the board.

Which is a better recipe for success for a mid-level P5 program?

Assume your AD has ~$8.5M to spend on football coaching salaries.

Option 1: Give head coach $5M , $500k to your top 3 assistants, and $200k-$300k to your position coaches
Option 2: Give head coach $3.5M, $750k to your OC and DC, and $400k-$500k to your position coaches

Personally, give me the best staff money can buy and a head coach who is really good at managing his staff and at least competent in all other areas.

Neither. We need more $$ for assistants. We paid Bob freaking Diaco 850k. Iowa pays their DC 1.2m I think and look how good they are EVERY year defensively.

Reactions: purduepat1969
Neither. We need more $$ for assistants. We paid Bob freaking Diaco 850k. Iowa pays their DC 1.2m I think and look how good they are EVERY year defensively.
I guess an option 3 would be even lower % for head coach and more % for assistants. Just not sure how much more is realistic given a 12 man staff and a bare minimum of $3M for a functional D1 head coach. If the overall salary number can go up, great, otherwise the question comes down to dividing up the pie slices. Either way, you get what you pay for with position coaches being paid the same as a random guy on the street with an MBA.

Last edited:
I guess an option 3 would be even lower % for head coach and more % for assistants. Just not sure how much more is realistic given a 12 man staff and a bare minimum of $3M for a functional D1 head coach. If the overall salary number can go up, great, otherwise the question comes down to dividing up the pie slices. Either way, you get what you pay for with position coaches being paid the same as a random guy on the street with an MBA.

Yeah but with a significant bump in TV revenue coming - we need to prioritize football since it is driving that revenue

Don't cheap out on a head coach and assistants. We saw how that worked out with Hope and Hazell. Purdue has the cash. Use it to get the best coach and staff that are willing to come to Purdue.

We're not gonna get any HC worthwhile for less than $5MM. Pay the OC and DC about $1MM or more depending on how good they are.

Don't cheap out on a head coach and assistants. We saw how that worked out with Hope and Hazell. Purdue has the cash. Use it to get the best coach and staff that are willing to come to Purdue.

We're not gonna get any HC worthwhile for less than $5MM. Pay the OC and DC about $1MM or more depending on how good they are.
Cheaping out and not being able to afford Top 10 salaries across the board are two different things. So let's assume one has the ability to bump up the overall salary budget from the original parameters, but within some reasonable constraints. So you can bump either the head coach budget or assistants budget, not both. Which one is your priority?

Cheaping out and not being able to afford Top 10 salaries across the board are two different things. So let's assume one has the ability to bump up the overall salary budget from the original parameters, but within some reasonable constraints. So you can bump either the head coach budget or assistants budget, not both. Which one is your priority?
Again, why are you putting constraints that may or may not exist on the salaries? It seems very hypothetical at this point. We're either gonna deal with substandard coaching on the cheap or we're gonna pay market value for good coaching. Budgets don't mean crap. Coaching pay has shot thru the roof. So incrementally increasing a budget probably isn't gonna pull in a top tier coach.

Not that I mean this in a derogatory manner at all, but are you an accountant or work in finance somewhere?

Last edited:
Again, why are you putting constraints that may or may not exist on the salaries? It seems very hypothetical at this point. We're either gonna deal with substandard coaching on the cheap or we're gonna pay market value for good coaching. Budgets don't mean crap. Coaching pay has shot thru the roof. So incrementally increasing a budget probably isn't gonna pull in a top tier coach.

Not that I mean this in a derogatory manner at all, but are you an accountant or work in finance somewhere?
Ok, you don't like the parameters of the hypothetical. Duly noted.

The first issue is the ability to recruit and then the ability to coach the position and development of players. It would be interesting to see some data on our coaching staff. Who recruits what regions/state/position? A nice breakdown of players recruited over the past 6 years and how long those players played in the program. At some point, you pay for production. The question is how do you define production for each position coach?

It has been said that your assistant coaches are the ones that both attract recruits and develop your players! Look at Iowa. Is their head coach that much better than Brohm? They do have a great reputation developing offensive linemen. And they have a great track record recruiting the best Indiana linemen available! It would be awesome if Purdue could develop their players. Whose job is that?

Reactions: BarringtonBoiler
Yeah but with a significant bump in TV revenue coming - we need to prioritize football since it is driving that revenue
Agree. Hopefully, our AD will have his usual end-of-year conversation with Brohm and maybe some thoughts should be directed at some additional hires to assist the OL and RB positions. I get Brohm is going to stick with his guys, but at some point, they need to produce better results in recruitment and development at those two position groups.

Hey how about we play Moneyball with our football program?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT