ADVERTISEMENT

B1G Coaches

TX4GB

All-American
May 19, 2012
I tracked down the coaches salaries. Here are my rankings based on performance and stability.

Izzo - 5.92 million (8.342 million overall?)
Painter - 3.55 million
Holtmann - 3.5 million
Howard - 6 million
McCaffery - 3 million
Underwood - 4.6 million (won a big title)
Gard - 3.55 million (won a big title)
Pikiell - 2.6 million (will bump up a million and more soon)
Willard - 3.9 million (good track record at Seton Hall)
Woodson - 3.125 million
Collins - 3.262 million
Shrewsberry - unknown (rebuilding)
Hoiberg - 3.5 million
Ben Johnson - 1.95 million (started in a bad spot)

I tracked down the coaches salaries. Here are my rankings based on performance and stability.

Painter - 3.55 million
Holtmann - 3.5 million
Howard - 6 million
McCaffery - 3 million
Woodson - 3.125 million
Collins - 3.262 million
Hoiberg - 3.5 million
Howard and Underwood overpaid.

Howard and Underwood overpaid.
Underwood has the best record in the Big Ten over the past three seasons. Not a fluke one year deal. He has since brought in the #9 recruiting class and the #2 transfer class for this season. Worth every penny. Needs to go further in the tourney but that’s coming.

They are paying Fred Hoiberg $3.5m to destroy the program with the second best home attendance in the B1G.

If we're ranking the biggest rip-off salary he is in a class by himself.

They are paying Fred Hoiberg $3.5m to destroy the program with the second best home attendance in the B1G.

If we're ranking the biggest rip-off salary he is in a class by himself.
and some of the nicest, newest facilities in the land. Only thing saving Fred is that the alums are more concerned about their football program regaining relevance.

Underwood has the best record in the Big Ten over the past three seasons. Not a fluke one year deal. He has since brought in the #9 recruiting class and the #2 transfer class for this season. Worth every penny. Needs to go further in the tourney but that’s coming.
He has had some of the most talented teams in the conference, so, hardly impressive that he has a title to show for it, and, barely at that for that matter.

I think he is better than he gets credit for from some, and, that what he has done elsewhere lends some further credence to that, and, while he is better than a lot of guys that preceded him, I don't know that I am as keen as you are with respect to his value, but, given how poorly the program had performed for some time prior to his arrival, I get that...not much different than a Purdue football fan proclaiming Brohm to be worth every penny as well.

From a value standpoint, I think Painter and Holtman are "good buys" for what they're delivering. Collins is clearly overpaid, relatively speaking. I know he hasn't done much yet but I'm a believer in Ben Johnson. I can't rationalize Underwood over Izzo, all else equal.

Strange that Penn State won’t release the salary of Shrewsberry. I could see a private school not doing it.

Reactions: DAG10

Painter - 3.55 million
Holtmann - 3.5 million
Howard - 6 million
McCaffery - 3 million
Woodson - 3.125 million
Collins - 3.262 million
Hoiberg - 3.5 million
I could be wrong, but, I think Shrewsberry will climb on this list.

Howard has as much security as anyone based on what has happened already there.

Pikiell has done more with less at Rutgers...I would probably move him ahead of Gard, who, absent COVID years, would not have a title, and, would largely have been more disappointing than not.

I am not as high on Fran...talk about someone that has not done much. I am guessing that your ranking of him is based on almost solely on security, as, I don't think he is as good of a coach as several below him on your list.

NIL is the only thing that has Woodson even where he is.

I could be wrong, but, I think Shrewsberry will climb on this list.

Howard has as much security as anyone based on what has happened already there.

Pikiell has done more with less at Rutgers...I would probably move him ahead of Gard, who, absent COVID years, would not have a title, and, would largely have been more disappointing than not.

I am not as high on Fran...talk about someone that has not done much. I am guessing that your ranking of him is based on almost solely on security, as, I don't think he is as good of a coach as several below him on your list.

NIL is the only thing that has Woodson even where he is.
Right, Fran based on longevity and he won the B1G tourney last year. I agree that Pikiell will rise and he is recruiting some big names which means they are starting to get into the NIL game. NIL is definitely helping Woodson and crew and bailed them out. This year will decide if he moves up based on the high expectations.

Painter - 3.55 million
Holtmann - 3.5 million
Howard - 6 million
McCaffery - 3 million
Woodson - 3.125 million
Collins - 3.262 million
Hoiberg - 3.5 million
Pikiell signed an extension after the 2020 season, but there are preliminary talks about voiding the current contract and offering him a new contract to reflect his true worth at Rutgers.

Reactions: BSIT
NIL era might push Holtman higher yet as he coaches well & seems to handle the talent well.

CMP is just solid, hopefully in any environment? Thankful for him and his abilities, but sadly, the NIL environment so far has chipped away at his talent pool.

He has had some of the most talented teams in the conference, so, hardly impressive that he has a title to show for it, and, barely at that for that matter.

I think he is better than he gets credit for from some, and, that what he has done elsewhere lends some further credence to that, and, while he is better than a lot of guys that preceded him, I don't know that I am as keen as you are with respect to his value, but, given how poorly the program had performed for some time prior to his arrival, I get that...not much different than a Purdue football fan proclaiming Brohm to be worth every penny as well.
Was it someone else who brought all that talent to Illinois? No, it was also Brad so not sure what to make of your first sentence.

I don't understand the disrespect (if you can call it that) for Underwood. He brought the talent in and coached it very well. I think he is going to be one of the top coaches in the BIG10. Let's not go down that path right now. Let's give him the respect he has earned, then beat the hell out of his teams in conference play.

:cool:

Underwood is darn good, IMO. Recruits well, and his teams play with intensity. They had some unique match-up advantages with Dosunmu and Cockburn.....unfortunatley, the Curbelo injury lingered most of last year.

I really thought both of the last two years, they would be the team to make a run in the NCAA tourney.........naturally, the kiss of death - sorry for that to Combes and the rest of the Fighting Illini followers. :)

Painter - 3.55 million
Holtmann - 3.5 million
Howard - 6 million
McCaffery - 3 million
Woodson - 3.125 million
Collins - 3.262 million
Hoiberg - 3.5 million
Looks like to me, Matt is very underpaid. No one other than Izzo should be paid more.

• Haha
Reactions: Russ Ford and BSIT
Yeah, both went. However, he replaced both with fantastic replacements who immediately brought in a top 10 recruiting class and a top 5 transfer class. I was pretty amazed with how he handled that situation!
shout out to former Illini bball player Chester Frazier being on them!
Underwood is darn good, IMO. Recruits well, and his teams play with intensity. They had some unique match-up advantages with Dosunmu and Cockburn.....unfortunatley, the Curbelo injury lingered most of last year.

I really thought both of the last two years, they would be the team to make a run in the NCAA tourney.........naturally, the kiss of death - sorry for that to Combes and the rest of the Fighting Illini followers. :)
lol no need to say sorry. This is a Purdue forum after all and we Fighting Illini fans are used to being kicked in the nuts every now & then. 👍

Reactions: mathboy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT