ADVERTISEMENT

Need a new head coach!

No, you have read my other posts and manipulated them as you could and still lost. 1-8 is that all you got? Apparently. LOL
1-8 is all I need. You are what your record says you are, and Brohm inherited a 1-8 roster.

On a related note. Hazel was a bad coach. And put very little effort into recruiting. He expected players to just want to come to Purdue rather than aggressively going after players. He sat around his first 4 months on the job and then wondered why his first recruiting class was so bad! Successful coaches have successful first classes because they typically bring players they coached or recruited from their old school. Hazel brought nobody with him from Ohio st. On the other hand, Brohm brought a lot of players that he had recruited And several experienced players from WKU with him to Purdue The DC’s son was an awesome LB.

While Hazell was a bad recruiter and coach, there were some talented players on his teams! He just didn’t know what to do with the talent he had.

Forget about recruiting rankings and. Record and just look at the players! The players Hazell left Brohm were a lot better and also more experienced than the players Brohm left Walters. I’m not talking about recruiting. I’m talking purely about the talent levels and the performance of those players!

As for class recruiting rankings, they do not always accurately describe how great or bad a recruiting class is. I’m not sure who the coach was, But one year, Purdue had a class with 0 offensive linemen. Every recruiting class should have at least 2 offensive linemen. Yet the ranking didn’t reflect this. Recruiting class ranking also does not reflect if the class was successful at filling existing holes. Hazell loved drafting RBs. Brohm loved recruiting WRs and Walters loves recruiting DBs. Brohm drafted a lot of high ranked receivers that raised his recruiting class average. But never played a down for Purdue! So how great is a recruiting rating of three 4 star recruits never play? Walters is the same way. He has recruited a lot of DBs. He has way over recruited DBs. There will be several 3/4 star DBs that will never play! What good is signing 6 four star DBs if 3 never play?

The ranking doesn’t identify a coach overloading at a certain position. It just totals players rankings!

When Brohm left he took many players with him. Additionally several incoming recruits backed out of their commitments. Walker was able to bring with him several players he had recruited.

Where I disagree with people is when they make excuses for a coach’s first class and saying he didn’t have time to recruit! I see that as total BS. Hazell, Brohm and Walker were all recruiting players long before they signed to coach at Purdue. They didn’t really need 4 more months to get more recruits. Each coach was able to have a full recruiting class their first year! So they must have had plenty of time for recruiting! What is not being said. Is many recruits will take a wait and see approach before they sign with a new coach no matter how much time that coach has to recruit. The uw coach had about the same amount of time Walters had. But given a choice of two unknowns, a highly rated recruit is more likely to sign with a proven coach or proven program. Prime time didn’t have much time to recruit players for Colorado. But he sure got the job done! If you’re good, You really don’t need much more time than 6 weeks. And you should already have players lined up. If you’re bad , you can have 2 weeks, 2 months or 2 years and they still won’t come. A new coach at Alabama would only need 1 week to get a top 10 recruiting class.

Walters has recruited a lot of awesome dbacks. But dbacks don’t play offensive tackle. And anything more than 4 dbacks in one class is kind of overkill. I’ve made a point that your recruiting should start with your offensive line. your linemen protect your qb, give him time to throw and also create holes for your RBs. That extra time gives your qb time to review the field and complete his passes! A great offensive line will make 3 star QBs RBs and WRs all look awesome. That is UW’s path to success! That is also USC, OSU and Alabama’s path to success. A 4/5 star lineman is a lot more valuable than a 4 star Wr or QB. Unfortunately the past three Purdue coaches placed their recruiting priorities on players at other positions!

I don’t like or dislike Walters. I thought he made some good decisions in his assistant coaches. They each were pretty good at recruiting. Game day coaching, not so good.

But we are also now in a new era of recruiting with the NIL and portal movement. If a coach wants a good team, he can usually build one in 2 years. He no longer needs 4 years to evaluate the talent he recruited. And if he can’t get it done in 2 years, he probably never will.

• Haha
Reactions: GolfHacker1
On a related note. Hazel was a bad coach. And put very little effort into recruiting. He expected players to just want to come to Purdue rather than aggressively going after players. He sat around his first 4 months on the job and then wondered why his first recruiting class was so bad! Successful coaches have successful first classes because they typically bring players they coached or recruited from their old school. Hazel brought nobody with him from Ohio st. On the other hand, Brohm brought a lot of players that he had recruited And several experienced players from WKU with him to Purdue The DC’s son was an awesome LB.

While Hazell was a bad recruiter and coach, there were some talented players on his teams! He just didn’t know what to do with the talent he had.

Forget about recruiting rankings and. Record and just look at the players! The players Hazell left Brohm were a lot better and also more experienced than the players Brohm left Walters. I’m not talking about recruiting. I’m talking purely about the talent levels and the performance of those players!

As for class recruiting rankings, they do not always accurately describe how great or bad a recruiting class is. I’m not sure who the coach was, But one year, Purdue had a class with 0 offensive linemen. Every recruiting class should have at least 2 offensive linemen. Yet the ranking didn’t reflect this. Recruiting class ranking also does not reflect if the class was successful at filling existing holes. Hazell loved drafting RBs. Brohm loved recruiting WRs and Walters loves recruiting DBs. Brohm drafted a lot of high ranked receivers that raised his recruiting class average. But never played a down for Purdue! So how great is a recruiting rating of three 4 star recruits never play? Walters is the same way. He has recruited a lot of DBs. He has way over recruited DBs. There will be several 3/4 star DBs that will never play! What good is signing 6 four star DBs if 3 never play?

The ranking doesn’t identify a coach overloading at a certain position. It just totals players rankings!

When Brohm left he took many players with him. Additionally several incoming recruits backed out of their commitments. Walker was able to bring with him several players he had recruited.

Where I disagree with people is when they make excuses for a coach’s first class and saying he didn’t have time to recruit! I see that as total BS. Hazell, Brohm and Walker were all recruiting players long before they signed to coach at Purdue. They didn’t really need 4 more months to get more recruits. Each coach was able to have a full recruiting class their first year! So they must have had plenty of time for recruiting! What is not being said. Is many recruits will take a wait and see approach before they sign with a new coach no matter how much time that coach has to recruit. The uw coach had about the same amount of time Walters had. But given a choice of two unknowns, a highly rated recruit is more likely to sign with a proven coach or proven program. Prime time didn’t have much time to recruit players for Colorado. But he sure got the job done! If you’re good, You really don’t need much more time than 6 weeks. And you should already have players lined up. If you’re bad , you can have 2 weeks, 2 months or 2 years and they still won’t come. A new coach at Alabama would only need 1 week to get a top 10 recruiting class.

Walters has recruited a lot of awesome dbacks. But dbacks don’t play offensive tackle. And anything more than 4 dbacks in one class is kind of overkill. I’ve made a point that your recruiting should start with your offensive line. your linemen protect your qb, give him time to throw and also create holes for your RBs. That extra time gives your qb time to review the field and complete his passes! A great offensive line will make 3 star QBs RBs and WRs all look awesome. That is UW’s path to success! That is also USC, OSU and Alabama’s path to success. A 4/5 star lineman is a lot more valuable than a 4 star Wr or QB. Unfortunately the past three Purdue coaches placed their recruiting priorities on players at other positions!

I don’t like or dislike Walters. I thought he made some good decisions in his assistant coaches. They each were pretty good at recruiting. Game day coaching, not so good.

But we are also now in a new era of recruiting with the NIL and portal movement. If a coach wants a good team, he can usually build one in 2 years. He no longer needs 4 years to evaluate the talent he recruited. And if he can’t get it done in 2 years, he probably never will.
Enough w/ using Prime as an example, he's an outlier (celebrity) . Let's try other coaches in their 1st yr at new schools. Dillingham (ASU) is 1 - 6 , Taylor (Stanford) is 2 - 5. I do agree w/ upgrading our Lines, that's where everything starts

Enough w/ using Prime as an example, he's an outlier (celebrity) . Let's try other coaches in their 1st yr at new schools. Dillingham (ASU) is 1 - 6 , Taylor (Stanford) is 2 - 5. I do agree w/ upgrading our Lines, that's where everything starts
Brohm @ Louisville?

Reactions: BoilerAlumni12
How about the new coach at Wisconsin? He had as much time to put together a team as Hazell, Brohm and Walters did! With each new coach Purdue hires, I keep reading where bis first class shouldn’t count because he had so little time to put it together. But each time I see they signed 20+ players so he must have had plenty of time.

And what’s wrong with using Prime time as an example? It’s not like he’s a great coach! He’s charismatic and a showman. And rather than being like a politician and play off people’s fears, he lies and plays off their dreams! They all believe he will lead them to the pros!

How about the new coach at Wisconsin? He had as much time to put together a team as Hazell, Brohm and Walters did! With each new coach Purdue hires, I keep reading where bis first class shouldn’t count because he had so little time to put it together. But each time I see they signed 20+ players so he must have had plenty of time.

And what’s wrong with using Prime time as an example? It’s not like he’s a great coach! He’s charismatic and a showman. And rather than being like a politician and play off people’s fears, he lies and plays off their dreams! They all believe he will lead them to the pros!
Coach at Wisky had more time to recruit in the fall period and a better base to work from than Walters did. Just look at the hiring time frame. Everyone knows that Wisky has a better program than Purdue to work with. Prime? Little more than hype. Regardless it appears that Walters is in over his head.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: GolfHacker1
Coach at Wisky had more time to recruit in the fall period and a better base to work from than Walters did. Just look at the hiring time frame. Everyone knows that Wisky has a better program than Purdue to work with. Prime? Little more than hype.
I agree with you. I have defended the coaches all along, but watching Harrell’s coaching and the fact he never fixes or helps his team and is the highest paid assistant I think he may need to leave. I am watching the Nebraska game and want to puke. Our offense constantly squanders good field position. Harrell’s RPO takes too much time unless we run. RPOs require a better line talent than we have. The fact he can’t see that and adjust tells me he is not a good fit.

Blough and Sindelar went 1-8.

Card would be much better with Brohm running the show. This coaching is a mess.
Well I wouldn't argue that it would be better with Brohm and that never was the discussion. I still think you are discounting how good Blough and Sindelar were.

Well I wouldn't argue that it would be better with Brohm. I still think you are discounting how good Blough and Sindelar were.
They were 1-8 before Brohm showed up.

1-7 the year before, in case you think 2016 was a fluke. (It wasn’t)

Well I wouldn't argue that it would be better with Brohm and that never was the discussion. I still think you are discounting how good Blough and Sindelar were.
They were great and put up great numbers. But so has every single starting qb that Brohm has ever coached.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
So are you saying Card would have been great under Brohm?
Yes if Brohm was here he would have put up good to great numbers just like every qb brohm has coached. And we would be in a bowl game at the end of the year.

That is if he was selected and stayed the starter under Brohm.

Reactions: FiveWeight
Yes if Brohm was here he would have put up good to great numbers just like every qb brohm has coached. And we would be in a bowl game at the end of the year.

That is if he was selected and stayed the starter under Brohm.
Looking at the results it's hard to argue with that.

True. Are you saying Card would have been great under Brohm?
Card’s decision making is atrocious. At the end of the game Nebraska only rushes 4 and Card has an open field for at least a first down multiple times and insists on throwing until intercepted. He should be replaced.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
One if the things that bothered some people but I loved about Brohm was his refusal to leave in a qb who wasn’t playing well. If you played poorly someone else was gonna get a shot until someone played well.
True

Reactions: Beorik
6 games in, I knew which way it was going to go with Tiller, Brohm and da Haze…
Yeah it's not hard. Walter came out flat and just got blown out by Nebraska who couldn't move the ball at all early in the season. In sure of we played isu, it would have been close just like haze year 1.

Walter was a reach 1 really good defensive year carried by 4 nfl caliber players on that side of the ball.

He has to fire Harrell soon to even save some face.

it's hard enough to get a really good coach to come to Purdue but if you add an administration to get a rep for axing a coach after 2 yrs, you'll have a hard time landing the next one.
Old man 2 years is the new 3 years. With the portal and nil there really isn't any benefit giving coaches more time when they can't break 4 win season.

Yeah, I guess no one needs to block or catch the ball. LOL
Mrs. Walter's. I know you haven't watched a lot of good football. Obviously having to watch your kid play and coach.

But if you think new England had all star talent on their team more so than anyone else you have never watched the NFL a game in your life.

Will ignore the 12th man (Refs) they had every time the colts played them in the playoffs.

Mrs. Walter's. I know you haven't watched a lot of good football. Obviously having to watch your kid play and coach.

But if you think new England had all star talent on their team more so than anyone else you have never watched the NFL a game in your life.

Will ignore the 12th man (Refs) they had every time the colts played them in the playoffs.
So Mrs. Brohm you ascribe to the One Player Theory of New Pal? If so, then that's two DAs on this site and I don't mean district attorneys! LOL

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT