ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska

BCfanatic2020

All-American
Jan 5, 2020
What’s up?

I will start off by saying that the way that most teams have hurt our defense is not their thing. Rugby pushing us and hitting the middle hard with runs ..

A few other reasons this week MAY be different:

> Nebraska’s QBs are high school passers to difficult areas of the field. It’s no different than asking Eric crouch to do to us what tanner Morgan has ..

> They are coming off a very physical game with Iowa. They already aren’t a physical offense

> If there’s a team that plays dumber than us and craps more at the worst times, it’s them.

That said I expect a physical defense that’s hard to run on. I expect plummer to need to be on the high end of his accuracy to stay on the field and the play calling has to be good (stay with what’s working). There should be plenty of open receivers in the intermediate zone, but Plummer needs to be accurate and the receivers need to catch the ball.

Defensively I still don’t expect it to be pretty in spite of what I said. Diaco’s alignment, wandale and Martinez escaping on third down, and probably at least one big reverse to Xavier betts...

Karlaftis’ absence, Barnes absence, and the fact that we give up the only thing that Adrian Martinez and luke mccaffrey can hit.. the short passes.

If we contained Martinez and played up on the pass, those two QBs would NEVER BEAT US DEEP. But we haven’t liked to do that since about 03.

Maybe Reeves and Rodgers can come back lol

I have:

Nebraska 27
Purdue 28

In a sloppy game where we are gifted a victory and Nebraska’s fan base is enraged beyond anything we’ve seen so far

Last edited:
What’s up?

I will start off by saying that the way that most teams have hurt our defense is not their thing. Rugby pushing us and hitting the middle hard with runs ..

A few other reasons this week MAY be different:

> Nebraska’s QBs are high school passers to difficult areas of the field. It’s no different than asking Eric crouch to do to us what tanner Morgan has ..

> They are coming off a very physical game with Iowa. They already aren’t a physical offense

> If there’s a team that plays dumber than us and craps more at the worst times, it’s them.

That said I expect a physical defense that’s hard to run on. I expect plummer to need to be on the high end of his accuracy to stay on the field and the play calling has to be good (stay with what’s working). There should be plenty of open receivers in the intermediate zone, but Plummer needs to be accurate and the receivers need to catch the ball.

Defensively I still don’t expect it to be pretty in spite of what I said. Diaco’s alignment, wandale and Martinez escaping on first down, and probably at least one big reverse to Xavier betts...

Karlaftis’ absence, Barnes absence, and the fact that we give up the only thing that Adrian Martinez and luke mccaffrey can hit.. the short passes.

If we contained Martinez and played up on the pass, those two QBs would NEVER BEAT US DEEP. But we haven’t liked to do that since about 03.

Maybe Reeves and Rodgers can come back lol

I have:

Nebraska 27
Purdue 28

In a sloppy game where we are gifted a victory and Nebraska’s fan base is enraged beyond anything we’ve seen so far
Heck,right now I will take a one point win,gladly.Against anyone.Boiler up.

Bell & Moore will probably get their yards. The key will be if they can score TD's in the red zone. Nebraska D is not good, but they do stiffen up in the red zone. Bob Diaco is not very good, and I think NU will score some points and it will probably come down to a shoot out and to see how bad each others special teams are.

Reactions: BCfanatic2020
After what I've seen the last two weeks it's more likely he hits the potential game winner with 15 seconds left and Nebraska returns the ensuing kickoff for a TD and the win.
Ouch! Can't say it would surprise me though. Not from what we have seen so far.
May the least sloppiest team win!

Bell & Moore will probably get their yards. The key will be if they can score TD's in the red zone. Nebraska D is not good, but they do stiffen up in the red zone. Bob Diaco is not very good, and I think NU will score some points and it will probably come down to a shoot out and to see how bad each others special teams are.

It’s looking like a bad football game in the making

Reactions: ScarletNCream
After what I've seen the last two weeks it's more likely he hits the potential game winner with 15 seconds left and Nebraska returns the ensuing kickoff for a TD and the win.

Nah.. we will score a TD to go up 1 with 2 minutes left. Martinez will turn the ball over and we will win. It’s gonna be a sloppy ugly game.

After last week, would I be surprised if we tightened up or Nebraska blew us out? No

I’m predicting a Nebraska win! Their toughest opponent has been their own unforced errors. If they play mistake free ball, they should win. I hope I’m wrong.

Reactions: BCfanatic2020
I also hope that this isn’t the game that saves Diaco
What the hell kind of hope is this? You hope this isn’t the week the defense shows they comprehend and can execute a defense put in through video calls and personal work alone at home over the summer? Even in a normal perfect year a team doesn’t learn an entirely new defensive scheme in 6 games. Let alone in a year where just 3 months ago there was not even a thought that there was a season. Some of you on this board show zero connection with reality.

Reactions: Inspector100
What the hell kind of hope is this? You hope this isn’t the week the defense shows they comprehend and can execute a defense put in through video calls and personal work alone at home over the summer? Even in a normal perfect year a team doesn’t learn an entirely new defensive scheme in 6 games. Let alone in a year where just 3 months ago there was not even a thought that there was a season. Some of you on this board show zero connection with reality.

No I mean I hope even if the defense plays better there isn’t a lapse in judgment by Brohm and bobinski

There is really zero chance this team stops Nebraska's running game. And based on what I've seen this year, they won't outscore Nebraska. I love Purdue. But I'm predicting the next two games to be ugly...

There is really zero chance this team stops Nebraska's running game. And based on what I've seen this year, they won't outscore Nebraska. I love Purdue. But I'm predicting the next two games to be ugly...

Eh they’re gonna get yards on Martinez scrambles but they aren’t a between the tackles team. So they aren’t strong hitting what we suck at most. If wandale Robinson could stay on his feet like Mekhi Sargent and they got the push up the middle that Iowa would get without George, they would run for 400

They’re gonna run for 175-225ish, but a couple things:

1) their QBs are high school passers. You think Plummer struggles turning back to his left and hitting Wright with a strike? Or hitting a pass on a deep out on his third read? Or seeing the whole field? These guys make Plummer look like orton lol.

At least Plummer can really hit passes all over the middle of the field and to his right extending out to 15+ yards. Martinez and especially mccaffrey are stuck with short gimmes and wide open stuff where they have all day (which they will have thanks to Diaco)

2) they kill a lot of their own drives. Wouldn’t be surprised to see them get an easy 45 yards rushing on three plays only to watch their center snap it over Martinez head leading to a turnover.

Could I be wrong and they blow us out? No George, no Barnes 1/2 and last weeks game makes me say yes

Eh they’re gonna get yards on Martinez scrambles but they aren’t a between the tackles team. So they aren’t strong hitting what we suck at most. If wandale Robinson could stay on his feet like Mekhi Sargent and they got the push up the middle that Iowa would get without George, they would run for 400

They’re gonna run for 175-225ish, but a couple things:

1) their QBs are high school passers. You think Plummer struggles turning back to his left and hitting Wright with a strike? Or hitting a pass on a deep out on his third read? Or seeing the whole field? These guys make Plummer look like orton lol.

At least Plummer can really hit passes all over the middle of the field and to his right extending out to 15+ yards. Martinez and especially mccaffrey are stuck with short gimmes and wide open stuff where they have all day (which they will have thanks to Diaco)

2) they kill a lot of their own drives. Wouldn’t be surprised to see them get an easy 45 yards rushing on three plays only to watch their center snap it over Martinez head leading to a turnover.

Could I be wrong and they blow us out? No George, no Barnes 1/2 and last weeks game makes me say yes

Adrian Martinez is completing 68% of his passes, and unlike a year ago, he's healthy. Shit, he was 18 of 20 vs. Iowa. But it was for 178 yards. He is completing short to intermediate routes better than ever.

Nebraska's intermediate to vertical passing game is a mess because their receiving talent is non existent. Their most talented wideout, Zavier Betts, is a true freshman. They have zero deep threats among their experienced receivers. Milton Wright would be Nebraska's #1 receiver by a wide margin. Hell, even Jared Sparks would be a #1 at Nebraska.

McCaffery is a mess in the passing game though. The kid is a dynamic athlete, but I don't believe he will ever be a viable Big Ten QB.

Nebraska has been down to their 3rd and 4th string running backs the last 4 weeks. Dedrick Mills and Ronald Thompkins, their 1 and 2 will be back and healthy for Purdue this weekend.

The best thing that happened to Martinez was getting benched. His work ethic and attitude has been exceptional. I think Frost also realized that sitting Martinez for the Illinois game, probably cost them about 24 points on turnovers.

I expect we will see Martinez primarily at QB, McCaffery all over the offense and Mills back with Thompkins. That will allow Wandale to get back out into the slot a lot more.

WR Oliver Martin became eligible two weeks ago, and has already shot up the depth chart. The kid is a transfer from Iowa and Michigan. The fact he showed up in August, walked on, and is already starting tells you all you need to know about the mess among Nebraska's receiving corp.

Its also why WR Coach/OC Troy Walters was forced out in the offseason and Matt Lubick was brought in as his replacement. The WR recruiting under Walters had become a disaster.

Oh... Nebraska doesn't just kill a lot of their own drives. They pretty much kill all of them.

Reactions: SantaBarbaraSker
I think our defense steps up and holds them under 40 but will find more ways to lose than them and have our 4th loss in a row

As others have also alluded to, Nebraska is their own worst enemy! Can. Purdue force Nebraska to implode? We shall see!

Adrian Martinez is completing 68% of his passes, and unlike a year ago, he's healthy. Shit, he was 18 of 20 vs. Iowa. But it was for 178 yards. He is completing short to intermediate routes better than ever.

Nebraska's intermediate to vertical passing game is a mess because their receiving talent is non existent. Their most talented wideout, Zavier Betts, is a true freshman. They have zero deep threats among their experienced receivers. Milton Wright would be Nebraska's #1 receiver by a wide margin. Hell, even Jared Sparks would be a #1 at Nebraska.

McCaffery is a mess in the passing game though. The kid is a dynamic athlete, but I don't believe he will ever be a viable Big Ten QB.

Nebraska has been down to their 3rd and 4th string running backs the last 4 weeks. Dedrick Mills and Ronald Thompkins, their 1 and 2 will be back and healthy for Purdue this weekend.

The best thing that happened to Martinez was getting benched. His work ethic and attitude has been exceptional. I think Frost also realized that sitting Martinez for the Illinois game, probably cost them about 24 points on turnovers.

I expect we will see Martinez primarily at QB, McCaffery all over the offense and Mills back with Thompkins. That will allow Wandale to get back out into the slot a lot more.

WR Oliver Martin became eligible two weeks ago, and has already shot up the depth chart. The kid is a transfer from Iowa and Michigan. The fact he showed up in August, walked on, and is already starting tells you all you need to know about the mess among Nebraska's receiving corp.

Its also why WR Coach/OC Troy Walters was forced out in the offseason and Matt Lubick was brought in as his replacement. The WR recruiting under Walters had become a disaster.

Oh... Nebraska doesn't just kill a lot of their own drives. They pretty much kill all of them.

Martinez has yet to win a game this year, and the reason why Nebraska looked good against Iowa was because Petras looked even more terrible than he usually does. Purdue's offense has much greater balance, which will stretch Nebraska's defense.

Unlike Schiano, Frost is too stubborn to adjust his schemes to actually win football games by exploiting the weaknesses on other teams' rosters. The keys to the game will be Nebraska's interior offensive line against Neal, building a lead before Barnes returns, and red zone offense/defense for both teams. If Nebraska loses this game, then Nebraska fans really need to question the direction of their program.

• Haha
I would agree if Nebraska loses to an unheralded program like Purdue for three years in a row. Heads should roll at Nebraska! Frost has tried to make them an athletic and quick finesse team. And if you look at their recruiting base, they should be a power smash mouth running football team. You have to know how to make the best utilization of your realistic incoming talent rather than creating a scheme and system and then trying players to fit that system.

I would agree if Nebraska loses to an unheralded program like Purdue for three years in a row. Heads should roll at Nebraska! Frost has tried to make them an athletic and quick finesse team. And if you look at their recruiting base, they should be a power smash mouth running football team. You have to know how to make the best utilization of your realistic incoming talent rather than creating a scheme and system and then trying players to fit that system.

Nebraska is actually far more physical this season than at any time in the last 5 years.

They just really suck.

Are you fvckin serious? Purdue is the least balanced football team in the Power 5.

I was willing to talk football with you, but that take is just terrible.

We are talking about Purdue's offense with Plummer at QB, but sure, get emotional and angry. That is a great look. If you already have a set opinion, then what's the point of having a conversation? Purdue had 237 passing yards and 175 rushing yards against Rutgers and Purdue is balanced when it wants to be. This Nebraska defense gave up 285 rushing yards to Illinois just a couple of weeks ago, so I doubt they can shut down the rush like Northwestern did.

Are you fvckin serious? Purdue is the least balanced football team in the Power 5.

I was willing to talk football with you, but that take is just terrible.

Wait talk me through this? How is Purdue not more balanced ? They have run the ball well this year. Has Nebraska shown they can hit more than gimme passes underneath ? I’m seriously asking

We are talking about Purdue's offense with Plummer at QB, but sure, get emotional and angry. That is a great look. If you already have a set opinion, then what's the point of having a conversation? Purdue had 237 passing yards and 175 rushing yards against Rutgers and Purdue is balanced when it wants to be. This Nebraska defense gave up 285 rushing yards to Illinois just a couple of weeks ago, so I doubt they can shut down the rush like Northwestern did.

Wait talk me through this? How is Purdue not more balanced ? They have run the ball well this year. Has Nebraska shown they can hit more than gimme passes underneath ? I’m seriously asking

Good talk fellas.

After negative yards rushing today, Purdue officially became the least balanced team in college football today.

Good talk fellas.

After negative yards rushing today, Purdue officially became the least balanced team in college football today.

lol we both suck but you won..unlike you guys I can give you credit and won’t act like beating Nebraska is a given for next year

lol we both suck but you won..unlike you guys I can give you credit and won’t act like beating Nebraska is a given for next year

What's funny is my only contention is about the definition of a balanced offense.

I expected Nebraska to beat Purdue today because of two reasons:

1. Purdue's special teams are God Awful

And

2. Purdue's offense is one dimensional.

What's funny is my only contention is about the definition of a balanced offense.

And

You are correct on both points.

And

Yep, you were right. Congrats on the win and good luck during the rest of Nebraska's season.

Reactions: leodisflowers
It looks like Brohm liked what I wrote and decided to give Nebraska a 27 point lead to make the game interesting.

Give...

giphy.gif

Reactions: mediaexpert
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT