ADVERTISEMENT

NDs new basketball facility

I haven't looked it up myself and really don't care to, but if we do indeed have the fewest staff members out of all the b1g basketball programs, I absolutely agree that should change.

There should be more here than just "I believe."

Link?

You continue to make charges that, on the surface, are baseless. I'm open-minded. Post something of substance. Not just emotional charges.

So now you're calling me a liar? LOL Yes, my "emotional charge" that I made up out of thin air was about rental car restrictions.

Sorry, it was 10 years ago and was cited as one example where the athletic department was nickel and diming the basketball program.

You keep saying I'm wrong, but you haven't given anything of substance yourself.

Reactions: Courthouse Carp
I haven't looked it up myself and really don't care to, but if we do indeed have the fewest staff members out of all the b1g basketball programs, I absolutely agree that should change.

I believe we are tied for last. We have a budget in the bottom half of the Big Ten and not in the top 40 in the country. We have player experience facilities now significantly different from all Big Ten programs except Penn State.

They don't all need to magically fixed with a wand and a big check. But I'd like to see some measured, step by step action, particularly after the season we had. We aren't going to get ahead of our peers who do more, spend more, and build more for their programs by lucking out hiring the right guy 10+ years ago.

Reactions: Courthouse Carp
So now you're calling me a liar? LOL Yes, my "emotional charge" that I made up out of thin air was about rental car restrictions.

Sorry, it was 10 years ago and was cited as one example where the athletic department was nickel and diming the basketball program.

You keep saying I'm wrong, but you haven't given anything of substance yourself.

You post that when I've been quite civil in this thread.

I stated that I don't recall it. I searched and found nothing about it. Not a thing.

You're unable to substantiate your claim. It's absurd to insist I substantiate for you, when you're unable to do so yourself.

You can take issue with my comments all you like. So far, it appears to be nothing more than the standard thread disparaging Morgan Burke.

Be better than all that.

Good stuff, Biker. I didn't think of searching Twitter.

those twitter posts indicated a systemic problem at Purdue ... a leadership problem.

It would be interesting to have a follow up... what's been addressed, what's changed.

You were right, I distinctly remember the sub-compact rental car mandate for coaches recruiting across ALL Purdue sports and specifically how it was a point of embarrassment and humiliation for those coaches, as it made them look bad and it made Purdue look WORSE.

Morgan Burke wasn't qualified to oversee the intramural athletics program at Tri-State University, let alone a Big Ten school's athletic department, and that's on the imbeciles who hired him and the nitwits who enabled him for so long.
Joe Tiller's winning here initially masked how terrible Captain Morgan and his band of pyrite pirates were, but eventually those fourth-rate amateurs even undermined Coach Tiller his staff. "Manage expectations" is a direct quote from Burke to Tiller.

Yes, it's water over the dam, but the damage inflicted for two and a half decades is still being felt. Purdue's image is still taking a hit. And did we not struggle to get 50,000 to attend our football games only last season? I, for one, refuse to pay for all the mistakes those losers made. And I'm sure that I am not the only one.

And good for Doug Griffiths for calling out those damn morons.

It thankfully is a new day, however your concern is a valid one, so be vigilant!

Good stuff, Biker. I didn't think of searching Twitter.

those twitter posts indicated a systemic problem at Purdue ... a leadership problem.

It would be interesting to have a follow up... what's been addressed, what's changed.
FWIW, Griffiths couldn’t be more positive of the current situation at Purdue. I’d be interested to hear his take on the current BB facilities.

Interesting.

It's almost as though the change in Purdue leadership has had an effect on the current situation at Purdue.

Wait a minute.....could there be some correlation......

giphy.gif

I remember when the news came out that while football and basketball were trying to be competitive, school administration was taking Big Ten Network revenue -- at a time when tuition was increasing at an obscene rate. There was absolutely no discipline in the university spending.

It seems IU is going down the same road pilfering from the BTN income. We'll see if football and basketball can improve under those conditions.

Reactions: Purdue85
Interesting.

It's almost as though the change in Purdue leadership has had an effect on the current situation at Purdue.

Painter told admin how facilities would rank in middle of pack in Ohio Valley Conference.

And our basketball facilities have changed how since?

You're trying to make this into a "yes or no". Yes, the situation has IMPROVED overall, I'm specifically talking about basketball though, which has had little tangible change in 3 years of current administration.

I'd like to see a bit more attention on that - is that wrong?

I remember when the news came out that while football and basketball were trying to be competitive, school administration was taking Big Ten Network revenue -- at a time when tuition was increasing at an obscene rate. There was absolutely no discipline in the university spending.

It seems IU is going down the same road pilfering from the BTN income. We'll see if football and basketball can improve under those conditions.

Again, I think you can't compare different periods directly. 15 year ago, the athletic department's total revenue was similar to what the athletic department is getting paid in just the Big Ten split today. Purdue has truly been saved by the BTN.

Also, 10 years ago, there was an economic collapse that hit universities hard. Was it ideal? Certainly not. But Purdue actually was one of not many schools that came out from the 2008 collapse on pretty solid ground. The problem in 2008 was football was on the downswing and basketball had just gotten on the right track. If things had been done in 2000-2005 to keep football ticking, I don't think we would have been in a similar position.

That's what I'm worried about with basketball today. If we just keep status quo, well....our peers aren't doing that, so we'll just fall behind and have to keep playing catch up. That's one thing Griffiths routinely points out - forward thinking vision from the athletic department.

I think it's there for football, I haven't yet seen it for basketball.

Again, I think you can't compare different periods directly. 15 year ago, the athletic department's total revenue was similar to what the athletic department is getting paid in just the Big Ten split today. Purdue has truly been saved by the BTN.

Also, 10 years ago, there was an economic collapse that hit universities hard. Was it ideal? Certainly not. But Purdue actually was one of not many schools that came out from the 2008 collapse on pretty solid ground. The problem in 2008 was football was on the downswing and basketball had just gotten on the right track. If things had been done in 2000-2005 to keep football ticking, I don't think we would have been in a similar position.

That's what I'm worried about with basketball today. If we just keep status quo, well....our peers aren't doing that, so we'll just fall behind and have to keep playing catch up. That's one thing Griffiths routinely points out - forward thinking vision from the athletic department.

I think it's there for football, I haven't yet seen it for basketball.

I had a son at Purdue at the time, so I had first-hand experience with tuition increases. And I was involved as a reviewer in some of the university's academic programs. It was insane. The rest of the country was struggling with recession and low economic growth and Purdue was spending money on some really crazy crap without a conscience. All that spending and Purdue's academics were suffering. It was just as insane then as it would be today.

But I agree with you about the AD. We know Bobinski is a football guy. It's why he was brought in. What else has he got?

Painter told admin how facilities would rank in middle of pack in Ohio Valley Conference.

You're trying to make this into a "yes or no". Yes, the situation has IMPROVED overall, I'm specifically talking about basketball though, which has had little tangible change in 3 years of current administration.

I really don't know what the h*ll you're writing, or what your point is.

We had really poor leadership at the BoT and President levels. That has changed.

If you think I should be b*tching about something, say so. but include a DETAIL of what that would accomplish.

I’m pretty sure that was prior to our new practice facility.

I had a son at Purdue at the time, so I had first-hand experience with tuition increases. And I was involved as a reviewer in some of the university's academic programs. It was insane. The rest of the country was struggling with recession and low economic growth and Purdue was spending money on some really crazy crap without a conscience. All that spending and Purdue's academics were suffering. It was just as insane then as it would be today.

But I agree with you about the AD. We know Bobinski is a football guy. It's why he was brought in. What else has he got?

A football guy who spent most of his career as an AD at schools with either no football, or non Division I football. Not questioning his abilities, just stating facts.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
Bobinski is fine imo. He was at Georgia Tech for 3 years, so I think he is more than qualified. Is it just me or is anyone else annoyed by the headline of this post? Sure I want the very best facilities possible for Purdue, but I don't really like anything positive being said about Notre Dame's facilities especially on a Purdue blog. I hate Notre Dame and if you go to their campis in the middle of winter it is not a very attractive place. Very gloomy and rundown looking imo! Boiler Up!

Reactions: Schnelk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT