ADVERTISEMENT

ND might not be very good

Butthurt much?
You do realize that over half the students at ND are ROTC, foreign or from underprivileged families? And EVERY student, regardless if they athletic status, must be in a degree-seeking program at all times. So no general studies or taking 5 years to graduate…
But keep being bitter, the tears are delicious.
'Butthurt' is not exactly the best word choice from a fan of a school affiliated with a global pedophile syndicate.

I am sure it would be frowned upon in nd's renowned gender studies program.

Not to get in a pissing match, but I don’t think preseason rankings are why most people overrate ND.

1) They rarely show out in big time bowl games and more times than not get embarrassed. Notre Dame has been a very good football program under Kelly and are solidly in that tier 2 category. But they are a longggg way from being in that next echelon.

2) schedule. ND not being in a true conference where they play 8-9 P5 programs a year hurts their SOS perception. I disagree with that notion though. Notre Dame rarely (if ever?) plays FCS schools and the G5 schools they do play are almost always respectable. ND always has one of the toughest SOS in the country). What hurts ND’s perception the most is that ND’s two most visible rivals (Michigan and USC) either aren’t on the schedule annually and/or have just been bad programs the last 10-15 years. USC isn’t a shell of what they were under Carroll and the juggernaut program they were in the 60s, 70s, and 80s. Neither is Michigan and they don’t play Michigan regularly any more.

3. Fans. Just like any program that has a high visibility of fans, you hear all about the team and then from everybody else when they don’t reach the highest level. A 9-3 Notre Dame team is going to labeled overrated ten times over before you hear the same thing about a 9-3 Iowa or Wisconsin team.

Hit the nail on the head here.

You guys are correct, ND is not very good right now. We are down to our 3rd string LT after losing 4 starters from last year's offensive line, and it shows. This is currently the worst offensive line we've seen in probably 10 years. Frustrating because from a skill position standpoint, they are loaded, but without even an average offensive line, they aren't able to capitalize on those weapons to the extent they should. Combine that with a transitioning defense that has holes in the back 7 and it's been a struggle.

I know virtually nothing about Purdue's team this year, just thankful we don't have to face Rondale Moore. What are your strengths and weaknesses? Just reading through this thread the only thing I've gathered is that you are struggling at offensive line. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that you guys have a beast DE, which would make things very difficult for this Irish offensive line.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
You guys are correct, ND is not very good right now. We are down to our 3rd string LT after losing 4 starters from last year's offensive line, and it shows. This is currently the worst offensive line we've seen in probably 10 years. Frustrating because from a skill position standpoint, they are loaded, but without even an average offensive line, they aren't able to capitalize on those weapons to the extent they should. Combine that with a transitioning defense that has holes in the back 7 and it's been a struggle.

I know virtually nothing about Purdue's team this year, just thankful we don't have to face Rondale Moore. What are your strengths and weaknesses? Just reading through this thread the only thing I've gathered is that you are struggling at offensive line. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that you guys have a beast DE, which would make things very difficult for this Irish offensive line.
Strengths:

> one of the best players in America on both sides of the ball (karlaftis, bell)
> an athletic physical defense overall
> other good skill position players (Durham), and an offense that creates open receivers

weaknesses:

> OL, MLB
> best running back is out and the others are finding themselves
> QB can go down easily if pressure gets there really fast, but if he can see it coming he has good escapability. Still could be faster making decisions but overall a good player

Strengths:

> one of the best players in America on both sides of the ball (karlaftis, bell)
> an athletic physical defense overall
> other good skill position players (Durham), and an offense that creates open receivers

weaknesses:

> OL, MLB
> best running back is out and the others are finding themselves
> QB can go down easily if pressure gets there really fast, but if he can see it coming he has good escapability. Still could be faster making decisions but overall a good player
I would call Jack's escapability average. His decision making will be put to the test on Saturday. He has been very selective with his targets in the first two games because he could afford to be. This is a game where he is going to need to make a few plays.

Reactions: DAG10
I would call Jack's escapability average. His decision making will be put to the test on Saturday. He has been very selective with his targets in the first two games because he could afford to be. This is a game where he is going to need to make a few plays.
Yeah this is a game that Jack will probably have to extend some plays and scramble for a first down or two. Can't afford to get behind the chains with sacks.

Reactions: DAG10
I agree but I think I lean toward giving him the Benefit of the doubt because he has made pretty accurate throws to receivers on the run.

On a global note, this year has been so nice.. very few if any dropped balls, no turnovers on the offense, very few penalties. This team has played as smart as a particular team I remember fondly thus far

It is tough to know at this point I think a lot about either team. If the ND OL is as bad as suggested, it is a genuine opportunity for Purdue and its new defensive staff to follow up on the promise of being more aggressive and taking more risks...as, for them to have a chance even on Saturday, that is going to have to happen.

Not having Rondale is a blessing for ND, but, David Bell is a better true WR...the one guy for Purdue on offense that can more than hold his own against just about any team in the country. Purdue is barely more than one-dimensional though, and, to be able to have success on Saturday, it is going to have to find some creative ways to change that...they are capable from a skill position standpoint, but, the OL will have to be way better than it has been, and, Purdue will have to execute at a pretty high level. Purdue may be able to take some advantage at least of the struggles that ND is having at the LB position with a quality TE...provided the QB has time to do so.

There are 2, maybe 3 guys, that would play for ND, so, it is still a substantial advantage in favor of ND...that said, I think the same could/would be said likely about Toledo and they managed to not just be in the game, but, in a position to win it.

It is tough to know at this point I think a lot about either team. If the ND OL is as bad as suggested, it is a genuine opportunity for Purdue and its new defensive staff to follow up on the promise of being more aggressive and taking more risks...as, for them to have a chance even on Saturday, that is going to have to happen.

Not having Rondale is a blessing for ND, but, David Bell is a better true WR...the one guy for Purdue on offense that can more than hold his own against just about any team in the country. Purdue is barely more than one-dimensional though, and, to be able to have success on Saturday, it is going to have to find some creative ways to change that...they are capable from a skill position standpoint, but, the OL will have to be way better than it has been, and, Purdue will have to execute at a pretty high level. Purdue may be able to take some advantage at least of the struggles that ND is having at the LB position with a quality TE...provided the QB has time to do so.

There are 2, maybe 3 guys, that would play for ND, so, it is still a substantial advantage in favor of ND...that said, I think the same could/would be said likely about Toledo and they managed to not just be in the game, but, in a position to win it.

If we have a bad showing against ND.. I think the only way will be if they double bell, keep 7 at home and dare us to run.

UConn sucked and Oregon states biggest weakness was their DL. If they can play our run with 5 defenders and others doing cleanup, it may lead to a day where we are moving the ball but we have some drives that sputter out and we only get between 16-20 points. We need 28 to beat them.

I think we will get there, BUT IF we don’t, look for announcers talking about all kinds of extra coverage on bell and Durham .. If notre dame does that and goes basic vanilla with everything else, we will need some combination of these things to score:

> run the ball by winning physical matchups up front .. or.. winning them enough to run the ball OKAY
> yards from the slot, not just completions
> completions to the left side of the field to Wright and Thompson
> plummer to eek out some firsts when everyone is covered, not get sacked and not lose the ball.

If you see doerue able to leak out and go for 7 yards on a 3rd and 4 from our 32 or plummer hitting Wright for a run after the catch or anthrop or sheffield coming open on a drag and getting a first down up the left side, or plummer pump faking and getting out of bounds past the first down, begin to expect a very nice showing.. because that’s gonna make them play bell and Durham honest.

or they will just be incredibly dumb and not have extra attention on those two. If I were freeman, I’d make Milton Wright, TJ Sheffield/Jackson Anthrop, King Doerue/Dylan Downing and Jack plummer prove they could beat me.

here’s also hoping that brohm has held back a lot of looks where he can get a completion to bell or Durham with room to run with ND double teaming what they anticipate seeing

Last edited:
Good stuff, had no idea about Bell. Is he a big receiver, a quick receiver, or both? I would imagine Kyle Hamilton will be shading his way all day. Our corners are a definite weak spot though so he'll probably still have some openings underneath even with Hamilton over the top.

How are your linebackers in coverage? One area ND's offense has had a lot of success this year is getting matchups with linebackers with our running backs and tight ends, who are quite talented.

Good stuff, had no idea about Bell. Is he a big receiver, a quick receiver, or both? I would imagine Kyle Hamilton will be shading his way all day. Our corners are a definite weak spot though so he'll probably still have some openings underneath even with Hamilton over the top.

How are your linebackers in coverage? One area ND's offense has had a lot of success this year is getting matchups with linebackers with our running backs and tight ends, who are quite talented.
Bell has drawn comparisons to Jerry Rice. Big body, great route runner, soft hands, and faster than he appears. A consummate pro in his work ethic and how he carries himself on and off the field. You'll be hearing the name David Bell for years to come. He could start for a lot of NFL teams right now.

Linebackers haven't really been tested in coverage. OSU is a run first team and didn't have exceptional talent at TE or receiving backs. UConn is UConn. Going back to last season, there were yards to be had over the middle, but the scheme was very much bend-but-don't break. Notre Dame and Mayer will obviously be a big test in this area. I suspect Lambert will spend quite a bit of time in the Nickel.

Bell has drawn comparisons to Jerry Rice. Big body, great route runner, soft hands, and faster than he appears. A consummate pro in his work ethic and how he carries himself on and off the field. You'll be hearing the name David Bell for years to come. He could start for a lot of NFL teams right now.

Linebackers haven't really been tested in coverage. OSU is a run first team and didn't have exceptional talent at TE or receiving backs. UConn is UConn. Going back to last season, there were yards to be had over the middle, but the scheme was very much bend-but-don't break. Notre Dame and Mayer will obviously be a big test in this area. I suspect Lambert will spend quite a bit of time in the Nickel.
Really hope we do go nickel most of the time. We might be lucky enough with Notre Dame not having their typical offensive line this year And can spend more time on receivers than trying to keep from being run over

'Butthurt' is not exactly the best word choice from a fan of a school affiliated with a global pedophile syndicate.

I am sure it would be frowned upon in nd's renowned gender studies program.

A global pedophilia syndicate? Really?

The fact that three people liked this comment is depressing. You just disparaged a group of billions in an attempt to win an internet argument about sports.

It's also an incredibly ironic comment, considering that Purdue has one of the largest Catholic student bodies in the country (used to be the largest, may still be). So there are more "pedophilia syndicate" supporters here than at Notre Dame.

I don't post often, but when I do it's usually a snarky, light-hearted joke. Here concludes my first serious comment: grow up.

Bell is fantastic but let's take it down a few notches lol.

The fact that three people liked this comment is depressing. You just disparaged a group of billions in an attempt to win an internet argument about sports.

It's also an incredibly ironic comment, considering that Purdue has one of the largest Catholic student bodies in the country (used to be the largest, may still be). So there are more "pedophilia syndicate" supporters here than at Notre Dame.

I don't post often, but when I do it's usually a snarky, light-hearted joke. Here concludes my first serious comment: grow up.
Wrong, I just disparaged a church hierarchy that has covered up and enabled centuries of perversion among its vast networks of priests - including popes no less.

If that is your first 'serious' comment, it is not a very bright one. Grow up and read the news - and some history for that matter.

In critically evaluating that prior post, aside from possibly the last line ("He could start for a lot of NFL teams right now"), what exactly would you disagree with?
Isn't that enough? Also not personally going to compare a guy who is considered one of the top 5-10 WR in the current year to the greatest ever but that's just me. I'm sure someone somewhere made that comparison but repeating it without any context or qualification comes off a little cringey/desperate.

Bell is fantastic but let's take it down a few notches lol.
Isn't that enough? Also not personally going to compare a guy who is considered one of the top 5-10 WR in the current year to the greatest ever but that's just me. I'm sure someone somewhere made that comparison but repeating it without any context or qualification comes off a little cringey/desperate.

You are welcome to point out any errors. BTW the Rice comparison came from Brohm, so take it up with him. Obviously, neither he nor I were saying David is equal to Jerry. That's silly. The 'drawn comparisons' verbiage should have made that obvious.

Here is the quote:
“David reminds me of a young Jerry Rice for the fact that everything is smooth. He doesn’t look like he’s going to make the spectacular play, but he always makes the play,” Brohm said. “He’s just a steady, consistent competitor, and we’re glad he’s on our team.”

Rondale is currently starting, in the NFL, as a rookie. If a year ago somebody said (other than injury) he could start for some NFL teams would that need to be taken down a few notches?

Last edited:
He could start for the Colts right now, for one.

You are welcome to point out any errors. BTW the Rice comparison came from Brohm, so take it up with him. Obviously, neither he nor I were saying David is equal to Jerry. That's silly. The 'drawn comparisons' verbiage should have made that obvious.

Rondale is currently starting, in the NFL, as a rookie. If a year ago somebody said (other than injury) he could start for some NFL teams would that need to be taken down a few notches?
I think comparing him to Iceman in Top Gun is more appropriate - ice cold, no mistakes, he wears you down... you get bored, frustrated, do something stupid and he's got you.

It's opinion, there are no "errors". But telling someone who isn't familiar with our team that he has "drawn comparisons" to Rice is a little vague and disingenuous. Brohm's verbiage makes that obvious, yours does not. And no Rondale is not starting, at least according to the official team depth chart. And yes that would have needed to come down a few notches. Bell has better "starting NFL WR" qualities now than Moore did last year.

My original response was just a lighthearted poke, but if you want to dig in about it knock yourself out.

Reactions: Inspector100
It's opinion, there are no "errors". But telling someone who isn't familiar with our team that he has "drawn comparisons" to Rice is a little vague and disingenuous. Brohm's verbiage makes that obvious, yours does not. And no Rondale is not starting, at least according to the official team depth chart. And yes that would have needed to come down a few notches. Bell has better "starting NFL WR" qualities now than Moore did last year.

My original response was just a lighthearted poke, but if you want to dig in about it knock yourself out.
All duly noted.

With respect, I think it's all good, and I think you're objecting a bit much. He's not Jerry Rice, and I don't think people would suggest he's going to have that kind of career.

Anytime a talented athlete hits the scene there are immediate comparisons. That doesn't mean those young players are equal, just that their games draw comparison.

Doesn't ND always have a stud TE? Kyle Rudolph, Cole Kmet, Tyler Eifert, etc
It's been a pretty ridiculous run dating back to Anthony Fasano in 2005. That's one position that kind of recruits itself at this point due to the success at putting guys into the NFL.

V
It's been a pretty ridiculous run dating back to Anthony Fasano in 2005. That's one position that kind of recruits itself at this point due to the success at putting guys into the NFL.
i had serious Mark Bavaro envy back in the day… lord, the things he could have done in Purdue’s high-octane offenses…..

Reactions: Yooper Irishfan

It’s good. We can split hairs about whether Rondale is starting or David would actually start for an NFL team. Rondale is certainly in the regular rotation, catching 4 passes in his debut game, in addition to fielding punts and kickoffs. All of the first round WRs from 2021 draft are in the two deeps. I think this has played itself out.

Don't forget Mark Bavaro
Yep, him, Irv Smith, etc. There were some great tight ends in the 80s and 90s too, I just meant the streak they are on since 2005 is crazy in that I believe every starter for every year has played in at least one NFL game. Even guys like Troy Niklas, John Carlson, etc. who maybe weren't certifiable stars but were very effective. ND really misses Tommy Tremble from last year, that dude was the best run blocker I've ever seen at TE.

Yep, him, Irv Smith, etc. There were some great tight ends in the 80s and 90s too, I just meant the streak they are on since 2005 is crazy in that I believe every starter for every year has played in at least one NFL game. Even guys like Troy Niklas, John Carlson, etc. who maybe weren't certifiable stars but were very effective. ND really misses Tommy Tremble from last year, that dude was the best run blocker I've ever seen at TE.
Dave Casper and Mike Creeney too

Look at the speed and strength of NDs defensive line vs our o-line. Not a good matchup. It will be very difficult for us to run the ball and I foresee ND applying a heavy blitz. Can we win - sure. But I don't like this and a few

The key match-up that will work in NDs favor is the ND D line against our Oline. We are a little suspect there and I think as the game goes on we will have trouble sustaining drives and the game will slowly get away from us

MLB not good everyone else has been outstanding

Reactions: Yooper Irishfan

Riveting is one of the resident nutjobs. It’s fine to completely ignore anything he says.

I'm a Catholic and I'm going to defend @Riveting on this one. The Catholic Church hierarchy has covered up thousands of sexual abuse cases at every level. It's an epidemic within the church. Maybe the time and place for his comment wasn't quite appropriate. But it really shouldn't be disparaging to Catholics if they're not in denial about real issues within the church...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT