ADVERTISEMENT

ND might not be very good

njm8845

Senior
Jul 1, 2008
It took an overtime to beat FSU last week, who just lost to Jacksonville State. I realize that playing the “transitive property” game is a slippery slope, but it is a little telling.

then yesterday ND needed a last minute TD to beat Toledo at home.

I’m thinking that while they will definitely be a step up in competition for us, the same can be said about us for them.

It took an overtime to beat FSU last week, who just lost to Jacksonville State. I realize that playing the “transitive property” game is a slippery slope, but it is a little telling.

I’m thinking that while they will definitely be a step up in competition for us, the same can be said about us for them.
I just want Purdue to show up and play their best game and not make stupid mistakes. Although I enjoyed ND almost getting beat two weeks in a row, I'm not yet going to interpret that as a sign that they're not a good team. Sometimes teams play to the level of their competition. That's happened to Purdue a number of times.

This game is in South Bend, which means ND has a 12th player on the field. With the exception of Horvath, I'm hoping we're coming into this game at full strength, which we're going to need to overcome officiating and the normal ND bias...

Careful, njm, you may be jinxing us by speaking the truth like that.

The cbs broadcast guys said yesterday the game is at Soldiers Field and made a big deal out of playing there and later Wrigley. But the game is actually at an overpriced, pompous private university in SB with, according to the IU Star, no soft majors (except studio art, gender studies, latino, africana, and italian studies, etc) .... right?

Purdue getting 11.5 pts from what I see in a cursory glance.

EDIT: the above info was from oddshark.com early on Sunday. I dont know where they got 11.5 from. They predicted Purdue to cover and ND to win at the time I looked. The +7 to +8 is what I'm seeing now and seems much more realistic. That being said, I'm expecting Purdue to pull out of South Bend with the W:)

Last edited:

I was going to post something similar to this. Purdue is playing well going into next week and ND is playing to the level of its opponents (who are turning out to be not too good).

I am not guaranteeing an upset next week but I do believe the stage is being set for one.

As Coach Keady has always said, "It doesn't matter who you play but when you play them."

We will see. Should be a fun week and game.

I kept having this dream all last week of plummer tossing the bell up 28-21 and then Purdue being ranked 21st in the polls the next day

For that dream to become reality Purdue has to come out hungry and play well and notre dame needs to play B- football or worse.

But to once again reiterate that I was wrong and that @SDBoiler1, @pboiler18 and others were right.. I really don’t care if bad luck happens and we go 2-10, this team had the kind of off season and has shown the kind of desire, heart and smarts that a bowl seems likely and really big things are possible .. so sneaking out of ND with a win really wouldn’t surprise me at all

Last edited:
Normal and usual overrating of Notre Dame and Texas to start the year! ND is beatable but we will need the team to step up if Horvath and other injured players cannot play! Both teams should have a good week of practice to get ready!

Normal and usual overrating of Notre Dame and Texas to start the year! ND is beatable but we will need the team to step up if Horvath and other injured players cannot play! Both teams should have a good week of practice to get ready!
I worry about doerue. He seems like once he hits that intermediate area he can do some things but that he kinda stumbles out of the gate to get through the holes.

hey what happened to freeman? I thought he was supposed to be good but ND fans hate him

I'm expecting to see a lot of their Freshman QB. I did not see game, but in box score he appears to be rushing threat and moved their offense much better. I hope Purdue staff prepares for him as much as they can, and the backup doesn't come in and light them up again.

Side note, I was surprised when I heard Coan was their starter. When you hand the ball to Jonathan Taylor 40 times a game, any competent QB will have decent numbers since the defense is always stacked against the run. I always that he was a meh running system QB. Brian Kelly's offense seems to need someone more dynamic.

Look at the speed and strength of NDs defensive line vs our o-line. Not a good matchup. It will be very difficult for us to run the ball and I foresee ND applying a heavy blitz. Can we win - sure. But I don't like this and a few other matchups.
It is a monumental mismatch...and, no running game adds pressure in turn to the passing game. To your point, there are several matchups that are not in Purdue's favor, but, none that are more of a mismatch than the OL one against ND...compounded by the absence of Horvath and just no quality depth at the RB position.

ND is just much faster, bigger and stronger...while not a fan of the non-conference schedule, at least having played Oregon St., Purdue played a team that had some of those same traits, but, still nothing like what they will see on Saturday...and, yesterday did not help.

ND may not be as good as their hype and ranking (imagine that), but, they still are good, and, have a ton of talent.

I just want Purdue to show up and play their best game and not make stupid mistakes. Although I enjoyed ND almost getting beat two weeks in a row, I'm not yet going to interpret that as a sign that they're not a good team. Sometimes teams play to the level of their competition. That's happened to Purdue a number of times.

This game is in South Bend, which means ND has a 12th player on the field. With the exception of Horvath, I'm hoping we're coming into this game at full strength, which we're going to need to overcome officiating and the normal ND bias...
The away team brings the officials to ND. I always laugh when opponent complain about officiating because it’s their conference officials reffing the game.

Yeah, that’s not even true…
The late, great, football historian Lou S. write about this misconception. ND is actually underrated historically in the polls overall. They will be ranked 10 & finish 12, a negative 2, but then be unranked & finish top 5, so a huge positive. Overall, they were in the top 20 of underrated teams. They were ranked outside the top 10 the last two times they made the CFP & were unranked when they made the BCS title game.
But yeah, it’s fun to yell out cliches like ND is always overrated.

I worry about doerue. He seems like once he hits that intermediate area he can do some things but that he kinda stumbles out of the gate to get through the holes.

hey what happened to freeman? I thought he was supposed to be good but ND fans hate him
Freeman is overthinking everything.

In the FSU game he went to a basic 4-3 and FSU couldn’t move the ball & ND got a three score lead. Then he goes to the 3-3-5 with crazy blitzes & blows the lead.

Against Toledo the entire third Q he ran a basic 4-3 & said my 11 is better than your 11 and Toledo didn’t get a 1st down. Then in the 4th when ND got a lead & pinned Toledo, he went with crazy blitzes again & gave up huge plays.

ND’s D-Line is great two deep. They have a solid secondary. Their LBs aren’t athletic blitzers, but Freeman keeps sending them and leaving gaping holes.
He doesn’t need to out-scheme everybody with his personnel at ND.

Careful, njm, you may be jinxing us by speaking the truth like that.

The cbs broadcast guys said yesterday the game is at Soldiers Field and made a big deal out of playing there and later Wrigley. But the game is actually at an overpriced, pompous private university in SB with, according to the IU Star, no soft majors (except studio art, gender studies, latino, africana, and italian studies, etc) .... right?
Butthurt much?
You do realize that over half the students at ND are ROTC, foreign or from underprivileged families? And EVERY student, regardless if they athletic status, must be in a degree-seeking program at all times. So no general studies or taking 5 years to graduate…
But keep being bitter, the tears are delicious.

The away team brings the officials to ND. I always laugh when opponent complain about officiating because it’s their conference officials reffing the game.
Really.

The ND/Toledo officials were not MAC officials. A quick check of the first 2 appears to indicate they were ACC.

ND has a long history of earning their reputation. Your comical indignation on the Purdue football forum has very little (zero?) influence on that detail.

Butthurt much?
You do realize that over half the students at ND are ROTC, foreign or from underprivileged families? And EVERY student, regardless if they athletic status, must be in a degree-seeking program at all times. So no general studies or taking 5 years to graduate…
My goodness, you're obsessed.

The late, great, football historian Lou S. write about this misconception. ND is actually underrated historically in the polls overall. They will be ranked 10 & finish 12, a negative 2, but then be unranked & finish top 5, so a huge positive. Overall, they were in the top 20 of underrated teams. They were ranked outside the top 10 the last two times they made the CFP & were unranked when they made the BCS title game.
I beg to differ, they win a first game against a name team like FSU this year or Texas a few years back who turns out to be a very poor team but shoots up the polls like a rocket! They get too much credit early in the season compared to most teams!

Reactions: TMA62 and Riveting
And that they have no soft majors.

Butthurt much?
No general studies, but yet gender studies. How long could that possibly take to graduate?

As an nd fan, I would think you would recognize derision, and not pretend it is bitterness to console yourself.

Freeman is overthinking everything.

In the FSU game he went to a basic 4-3 and FSU couldn’t move the ball & ND got a three score lead. Then he goes to the 3-3-5 with crazy blitzes & blows the lead.

Against Toledo the entire third Q he ran a basic 4-3 & said my 11 is better than your 11 and Toledo didn’t get a 1st down. Then in the 4th when ND got a lead & pinned Toledo, he went with crazy blitzes again & gave up huge plays.

ND’s D-Line is great two deep. They have a solid secondary. Their LBs aren’t athletic blitzers, but Freeman keeps sending them and leaving gaping holes.
He doesn’t need to out-scheme everybody with his personnel at ND.
Great.. our luck he will throw all the unnecessary stuff out the window against us

No general studies, but yet gender studies. How long could that possibly take to graduate?

As an nd fan, I would think you would recognize derision, and not pretend it is bitterness to console yourself.
LOL!

Reminds me of the movie, Mr and Mrs Smith, in which he tries to convince her of his education at "Notre Dame".

"Art History... it's reputable"

🤣

LOL!

Reminds me of the movie, Mr and Mrs Smith, in which he tries to convince her of his education at "Notre Dame".

"Art History... it's reputable"

🤣
Before season kicked off, I and we Purdue fans wrote the ND game off as a “L”. With the way ND is playing it becomes closer to a toss up. +3 IMHO to ND for home field, but we might surprise them with good planning and execution. Play a good clean game and see where it finishes.

Reactions: TMA62 and Purdue85
Butthurt much?
I don't want to get into the argument about which schools and majors are hard or easy, but just a point of clarity: all students at all colleges and universities must be in degree programs and making progress toward a degree in order to receive federal financial aid such as pell grants and subsidized loans. ND is not unusual in that regard. The federal govt has recently tightened enforcement. I know. I do academic advising at my university and have been dealing with this issue a lot. It's a good rule.

Butthurt much?
It appears to me that you are suffering here. Does your ego need a boost? This worse than the typical IU fan.

Reactions: TMA62

26a0cb3b-3807-404c-8ef5-1fd169cd56c1_text.gif

Butthurt much?
What constitutes "underprivileged" at ND is VERY subjective...more so if your point is accurate (although I don't believe that it is).

As mentioned in the thread in another post...EVERY student at EVERY school that receives any financial aid has the same requirement...it is nothing unique or special to/about ND (despite the belief that EVERYTHING is unique or special about ND).

Yeah, and, Rudy was not a douche according to some dumba$$ that FINALLY bought into the story that the dude pedaled for years...

ND is often overrated, and, generally overranked as well...regardless, watching them get their a$$ kicked to begin each New Year is enjoyable as a result of it.

Reactions: SIBoiler2
Yeah, and, Rudy was not a douche according to some dumba$$ that FINALLY bought into the story that the dude pedaled for years...

ND is often overrated, and, generally overranked as well...regardless, watching them get their a$$ kicked to begin each New Year is enjoyable as a result of it.
I hate that flipping movie. Nothing "inspirational" about it. Some little dipshit has an unhealthy and unrealistic obsession with playing for ND that we want it to "inspire" others? The movie isn't even remotely true. He didn't work odd jobs and live in the groundskeeper's room to pay for his room and board. The GI bill paid for all of it. Even Montana said the story was bullsh$t.

Then on top of it, he commits fraud. What an "inspiring" person...

Reactions: DAG10 and TMA62
I hate that flipping movie. Nothing "inspirational" about it. Some little dipshit has an unhealthy and unrealistic obsession with playing for ND that we want it to "inspire" others? The movie isn't even remotely true. He didn't work odd jobs and live in the groundskeeper's room to pay for his room and board. The GI bill paid for all of it. Even Montana said the story was bullsh$t.

Its the most overated sports movie ever.And who are you going to believe,Montana or some dopey hollywood scriptwriter?

I know/have met the guy several times...it is beyond fitting that he was indicted for fraud, as, he is the living definition of fraud.

The dude tried to sell that story for years...it was all that he did...nobody was/is more obsessed with Rudy than Rudy.

He was anything but an inspiring person...before he played, and after.

I know/have met the guy several times...it is beyond fitting that he was indicted for fraud, as, he is the living definition of fraud.

The dude tried to sell that story for years...it was all that he did...nobody was/is more obsessed with Rudy than Rudy.

He was anything but an inspiring person...before he played, and after.
Lol at least he’s not frank dux I’ll say that for him 😂😂..

My goodness, you're obsessed.
This is the absolute worst thing about the resumption of the Shillelagh game — dealing with pompous subway alums like this goofball.

domers are better across the board than Purdue this year, and as was mentioned here, I’m hoping we can keep it competitive, and not wilt from the opportunity, as we’ve done so often at that place….
Unfortunately, Toledo gave them a serious wake-up call last week and I expect “funnyman” Kelly to run up the score if we give him the chance.

Reactions: DAG10 and Level 42
Not to get in a pissing match, but I don’t think preseason rankings are why most people overrate ND.

1) They rarely show out in big time bowl games and more times than not get embarrassed. Notre Dame has been a very good football program under Kelly and are solidly in that tier 2 category. But they are a longggg way from being in that next echelon.

2) schedule. ND not being in a true conference where they play 8-9 P5 programs a year hurts their SOS perception. I disagree with that notion though. Notre Dame rarely (if ever?) plays FCS schools and the G5 schools they do play are almost always respectable. ND always has one of the toughest SOS in the country). What hurts ND’s perception the most is that ND’s two most visible rivals (Michigan and USC) either aren’t on the schedule annually and/or have just been bad programs the last 10-15 years. USC is a shell of what they were under Carroll and the juggernaut program they were in the 60s, 70s, and 80s. Neither is Michigan and they don’t play Michigan regularly any more.

3. Fans. Just like any program that has a high visibility of fans, you hear all about the team and then from everybody else when they don’t reach the highest level. A 9-3 Notre Dame team is going to labeled overrated ten times over before you hear the same thing about a 9-3 Iowa or Wisconsin team.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT