ADVERTISEMENT

Myocarditis Concerns in Athletes Key Driver of Fall Sports Cancellation

SCBoiler1

Sophomore
Feb 10, 2014
I know we are all disappointed by the cancellation/postponement of the football season, but I'm not sure why there needs to be speculation as to why the B10 Presidents postponed all fall sports. It says why in the B10's statement.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...n-for-fall-2020-hopes-to-play-in-spring-2021/

When I read the article one item that struck me as new was this growing concern on the impact on the heart muscle, even in asymptomatic cases. After reading the article above, I did a quick Google search and found this article in the WP. I know some of you won't like that its from the WP but read the article. It may shed some light on the B10's decision. It references doctors from the Cleveland Clinic and Stanford among others. It readily admits doctors and scientist don't know what's going on in the hearts of athletes but there is growing concern that the heart is being impacted possibly causing myocarditis.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/08/08/athletes-coronavirus-heart-complications/

Here is a fact sheet from the Myocarditis Foundation

https://www.myocarditisfoundation.org/wp-content/uploads/MyocarditisAndSuddenDeath.pdf

I guess I'm just going to take the B10 at its word. Until reading this information this morning I really didn't believe there was much risk to the athletes themselves. Now I am not so sure. In young people the "death count" may not be telling us the whole story when it comes to the impact on their health.

If this is such a concern then get the students off campus. Every last one of them. To do otherwise would send the message that the health of athletes is more important than the health of the general student population. Also, testing for fall athletes should be stopped IMMEDIATELY unless they are practicing or playing. Or unless you are also regularly testing the entire student body, which is impractical.

You can’t have it both ways. Either young people are at high risk or they aren’t. And they are going to spread this virus around whether they are playing sports are not.

Reactions: Lifetimeboiler
If this is such a concern then get the students off campus. Every last one of them. To do otherwise would send the message that the health of athletes is more important than the health of the general student population. Also, testing for fall athletes should be stopped IMMEDIATELY unless they are practicing or playing. Or unless you are also regularly testing the entire student body, which is impractical.

You can’t have it both ways. Either young people are at high risk or they aren’t. And they are going to spread this virus around whether they are playing sports are not.

I believe the students and athletes are at equal risk of getting myocarditis if they contract Covid. My understanding is that the problem is that physical exertion when having myocarditis puts you at much greater risk of a heart related incident.

I could be wrong. Not trying to validate or invalidate the B10's decision. I just found it interesting.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
I know we are all disappointed by the cancellation/postponement of the football season, but I'm not sure why there needs to be speculation as to why the B10 Presidents postponed all fall sports. It says why in the B10's statement.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...n-for-fall-2020-hopes-to-play-in-spring-2021/

When I read the article one item that struck me as new was this growing concern on the impact on the heart muscle, even in asymptomatic cases. After reading the article above, I did a quick Google search and found this article in the WP. I know some of you won't like that its from the WP but read the article. It may shed some light on the B10's decision. It references doctors from the Cleveland Clinic and Stanford among others. It readily admits doctors and scientist don't know what's going on in the hearts of athletes but there is growing concern that the heart is being impacted possibly causing myocarditis.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/08/08/athletes-coronavirus-heart-complications/

https://www.myocarditisfoundation.org/wp-content/uploads/MyocarditisAndSuddenDeath.pdf

I guess I'm just going to take the B10 at its word. Until reading this information this morning I really didn't believe there was much risk to the athletes themselves. Now I am not so sure. In young people the "death count" may not be telling us the whole story when it comes to the impact on their health.
I'm sure the democrats will make this virus Sound as dangerous as possible

Reactions: PetesHammer
I'm sure the democrats will make this virus Sound as dangerous as possible

Yeah, I hate science too. If only previous generations had the ostrich gene adaptation so many have today, we could still have the pleasure of experiencing smallpox, polio and other super fun diseases that humanity was able to largely eradicate. Sure was inconsiderate of them.

Saw on ESPN that one medical report said "larger people with covid are at more risk for the heart condition". Most linemen I guess would be in this category.

$$$$$
I naively thought the P5 athletic departments would pull out ALL of the stops to make a season happen because of the money. I was clearly way to optimistic.

But you're 100% right that if it's too dangerous to have kids play, then it's too dangerous to have kids crammed into 150 person lecture halls, and dorms, and frat parties, and Harry's.

But that all comes down to money too. The schools are piss scared (rightly so, I believe) of tuition lawsuits if they move everything virtual again. The current lawsuit against IU is that IU sells it's online degrees to prospective students as the same as an IU degree. Same classes, same instructors, no asterisk. I'm sure Purdue situation is the same. The rub is that the online degrees are like half as expensive in tuition as the in-person degrees. So the premise of the suits is that the extra expense MUST be the value for being on-campus, so why should kids pay on-campus prices for the exact same instruction that the online kids get. And that's going to be a hard argument to make. But cutting tuition in half for 40,000 kids would be DEVASTATING financially for the schools. So they're going all in on it.

At least, in my estimation that's the reason for the contradiction.

I'm in your corner. Till 8/11/20, I didn't know that myocarditis had a higher medical priority than CTE - brain injuries, Neck injuries - paralysis and sudden death syndrome - Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy in sports athletes. We see athletes play thru all these scary issues, but not thru myocarditis.

At this rate, we may never see college sports again as there are no guarantees. I'm not trying to be funny either. This knee jerk reaction should be a slap in the face to athletes & families that have experienced any of those other conditions noted above as they are clearly not as important and NCAA athletics played on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Purdue85
Yeah, I hate science too. If only previous generations had the ostrich gene adaptation so many have today, we could still have the pleasure of experiencing smallpox, polio and other super fun diseases that humanity was able to largely eradicate. Sure was inconsiderate of them.
Love the smugness. At least your consistent.

Reactions: purduepat1969

all this is very interesting. but it still doesn’t absolve the B10 from a couple horrible decisions.

1. Canceling just a few days of releasing their schedule, after weeks of delay, smacks of rash decision based on emotion.
2. Even if this info was new in the small window between when the schedule was released and when they canceled, they should have been more prudent. Time is your friend when you don’t know everything. Delay the season, wait till you see what happens when kids are on campus and if medical advances occur. Seems really short sighted to just cancel.

Reactions: Purdue85 and DAG10

There is absolutely no way that the heart is damaged in asymptomatic cases. This is just complete BS used to continue the fear mongering of the virus. Open your eyes people.

Reactions: Roeder
2. Even if this info was new in the small window between when the schedule was released and when they canceled, they should have been more prudent. Time is your friend when you don’t know everything. Delay the season, wait till you see what happens when kids are on campus and if medical advances occur. Seems really short sighted to just cancel.
Point 2 is an excellent observation. Study the cases of athletes that have tested positive. There are staff Doctors and excellent health care facilities that collaborate with each university. Run MRI's and record the results. Do this all the while pushing the season back 4 weeks should be enough time to get a great sampling to see what is real and what is not. What a wasted opportunity to really lead with improved Qualified Data vs lead the scared crowds to cower again!

Reactions: PetesHammer
Then why is the NBA, MLB, NHL and NFL allowed to play? Can't they get myocarditis? Aren't they at risk too? Why is high school sports in most areas around the country still playing this fall?

Will intermural sports be allowed on campus this fall? What about the CoRec? Should that be closed because of the 'concern' over myocarditis?

There is A LOT of inconsistencies at play here.

I can't speak to the other organizations you mention, but the NHL does extensive testing within the Toronto and Edmonton bubbles. The following statement was released on August 10th:

"The NHL completed the second week of its Phase 4 Return to Play with no positive test results for COVID-19 among the 7,245 tests administered. Testing was administered on a daily basis to all members of the Clubs' 52-member traveling parties, including Players, during the period from August 2 through August 8. The NHL will continue to provide regular updates on COVID-19 testing results. The League will not be providing information on the identity of any individuals of Clubs."

So, that's why hockey is still being played.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Lots of thoughts on this one.

Myocarditis is, simply stated, inflammation of the myocardium.

(Whenever you see ______itis, that's referring to inflammation.) Inflammation can be bacterial or viral.

Most common cause of myocarditis? Viral. So, it's safe to assume COVID could cause myocarditis. Not exactly a stunning revelation.

When looking at the number of incidents, COVID is not a common cause.

In virtually all available literature, researchers indicate the prevalence of myocarditis in COVID cases is unclear.

Researchers are also (not surprisingly) linking COVID/myocarditis combo to comorbidity, such as cardiovascular impairments, obesity, et al.

In some reports they flat-out come right out and say there's a lot of discrepancy, and too much anecdotal information.

Lots of valid criticism in this thread.

Right now it sounds like a lot of .... "well, okay, but what else ya got?"

Not exactly earth-shattering reporting. And, most certainly, not the type of thing people should panic over with such limited data.

(Whenever you see ______itis, that's referring to inflammation.) Inflammation can be bacterial or viral.

Most common cause of myocarditis? Viral. So, it's safe to assume COVID could cause myocarditis. Not exactly a stunning revelation.

In virtually all available literature, researchers indicate the prevalence of myocarditis in COVID cases is unclear.

Researchers are also (not surprisingly) linking COVID/myocarditis combo to comorbidity, such as cardiovascular impairments, obesity, et al.

In some reports they flat-out come right out and say there's a lot of discrepancy, and too much anecdotal information.

Not exactly earth-shattering reporting. And, most certainly, not the type of thing people should panic over with such limited data.[/QUOTE]

This is great information. You may want to give The B10 a call and let them know they made a mistake. Here is the number of the BIG 10 Headquarters: 847 696-1010. Just ask for Kevin Warren

Look, I'm not a medical doctor or scientist. I'm not offering my opinion. No one cares what my opinion is on the risk involved. All I was trying to do was lay out the B10's rational for canceling/delaying the season. I could post a dozen articles that say that myocarditis was at the heart of the B10's decision. Here's three more:

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...vid-19-fuels-power-5-concern-season-viability

https://www.nbcsports.com/washingto...d-big-ten-and-pac-12-postponement-fall-sports

https://www.cardiovascularbusiness....cancel-2020-season-due-concerns-over-covid-19

Don't you want to understand why the B10 cancelled the season other than some sort of conspiracy theory?

Let me lay it out for you.

Covid 19 is a virus. Some viruses can cause myocarditis. The doctors and scientist are seeing indications that Covid may be causing myocarditis in some of the people infected with Covid 19. The first article states "At least 15 Big Ten players have been left with myocarditis after contracting COVID-19 according to a high-ranking source within the Big Ten".

If athletes get myocarditis it could be dangerous for them to participate in their sport for a period of time. According to the Myocarditis Foundation:

"Myocarditis is the reason for sudden cardiac death in 5-22% of athletes < 35 years of age. For prevention of myocarditis and sudden cardiac death it is recommended to stop elite sport for 4 weeks after an unspecific infection. Whether moderate sport can be started earlier is unclear. When myocarditis is verified, athletes have to withdraw from sport for at least 6 months"

After reading the articles I have a better understanding as to why the B10 office made the decision they did. That's it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pu71indy

Not exactly earth-shattering reporting. And, most certainly, not the type of thing people should panic over with such limited data.

This is great information. You may want to give The B10 a call and let them know they made a mistake. Here is the number of the BIG 10 Headquarters: 847 696-1010. Just ask for Kevin Warren

Look, I'm not a medical doctor or scientist. I'm not offering my opinion. No one cares what my opinion is on the risk involved. All I was trying to do was lay out the B10's rational for canceling/delaying the season. I could post a dozen articles that say that myocarditis was at the heart of the B10's decision. Here's three more:

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...vid-19-fuels-power-5-concern-season-viability

https://www.nbcsports.com/washingto...d-big-ten-and-pac-12-postponement-fall-sports

https://www.cardiovascularbusiness....cancel-2020-season-due-concerns-over-covid-19

Don't you want to understand why the B10 cancelled the season other than some sort of conspiracy theory?

Covid 19 is a virus. Some viruses can cause myocarditis. The doctors and scientist are seeing indications that Covid may be causing myocarditis in some of the people infected with Covid 19. The first article states "At least 15 Big Ten players have been left with myocarditis after contracting COVID-19 according to a high-ranking source within the Big Ten".

If athletes get myocarditis it could be dangerous for them to participate in their sport for a period of time. According to the Myocarditis Foundation:

"Myocarditis is the reason for sudden cardiac death in 5-22% of athletes < 35 years of age. For prevention of myocarditis and sudden cardiac death it is recommended to stop elite sport for 4 weeks after an unspecific infection. Whether moderate sport can be started earlier is unclear. When myocarditis is verified, athletes have to withdraw from sport for at least 6 months"

After reading the articles I have a better understanding as to why the B10 office made the decision they did. That's it.[/QUOTE]

Never said they "made a mistake". There was zero criticism of their decision in my post about myocarditis.

You seem to be itching for a fight on this, in an effort to shove 100% compliance and agreement onto the public.

I, on the other hand, would like for everyone to be informed about the science and the issues.

I wasn't criticizing what you were "trying to do". Frankly, I couldn't give a whit about what you were trying to do. What I was doing was offering scientific information completely relevant to the topic at hand. You don't like that. That's duly noted. Not a good look, but duly noted.

What's more, I never offered a "conspiracy theory", or any other such nonsense.

Not sure why you're hellbent on denying anything that could go against your narrative. There are far too many people on this forum (and in life) who are intellectually incurious.

Being intellectually curious is a good thing, and isn't some conspiracy theory.

Reactions: jindy

After reading the articles I have a better understanding as to why the B10 office made the decision they did. That's it.

Never said they "made a mistake". There was zero criticism of their decision in my post about myocarditis.

You seem to be itching for a fight on this, in an effort to shove 100% compliance and agreement onto the public.

I, on the other hand, would like for everyone to be informed about the science and the issues.

I wasn't criticizing what you were "trying to do". Frankly, I couldn't give a whit about what you were trying to do. What I was doing was offering scientific information completely relevant to the topic at hand. You don't like that. That's duly noted. Not a good look, but duly noted.

What's more, I never offered a "conspiracy theory", or any other such nonsense.

Not sure why you're hellbent on denying anything that could go against your narrative. There are far too many people on this forum (and in life) who are intellectually incurious.

Being intellectually curious is a good thing, and isn't some conspiracy theory.[/QUOTE]

Seems that people forget that the flu(a virus) also can cause myocarditis, as can use of antibiotics and drugs. The vast majority of cases are entirely treatable with many people recovering entirely on their own. I'm certainly not minimizing the seriousness of that heart issue but getting it through Covid makes it no more or less serious than if it has resulted from other causes. It's not clear that Covid results in a higher percentage of myocarditis cases than(for example) the flu - only time and ongoing research will tell. With the reported/planned testing procedures in place for Big Ten teams I feel that these kids were likely in safer places than out in the general public.

Reactions: Purdue85

Myocarditis isn’t really a rare condition. Severe Myocarditis, the kind that can cause the major damage/death is. It is important to note the only way to test for it is an MRI. The regular EKG won’t cut it. Insurance doesn’t pay for that, but athletes would get regularly tested for it. If the athlete has it, their season would be over. Thus removing the risk.

Playing football will not increase the risk of getting Covid. So far, it’s the opposite. Student athletes have been testing positive at a much smaller rate than the rest of the population because of all of the regulations. They also would be doing regular testing, so they could get an earlier diagnosis and treatment. And they are getting additional scans.

Playing football does not cause COVID. They are actually more likely to get if the athletics get canceled and they start furloughing medical staff and training staff because their won’t be the income to cover it. Testing and treatment will go down. The players are much more at risk if they don’t play.

Look, Coach Brohm has presented a plan to play spring ball and broke it all the way down. This was never done for the fall. They waited and hoped it would get better. It didn’t. They received terrible legal advice. But if you can show all of the testing and have a plan to stop playing if things get worse, and have the players sign strict medical/refusal to sue waivers you are golden. Somebody could die, but there have been student athletes that have died before and with the increase in testing and monitoring, some of the heart issues that have cause death in the past would be spotted sooner. The fact that they didn’t talk to the coaches to see if there was a plan that would work tells you everything you need to know. It’s not rocket science here. It’s incompetent leadership at the top starting with Warren.

Reactions: Purdue85 and jindy
Myocarditis isn’t really a rare condition. Severe Myocarditis, the kind that can cause the major damage/death is. It is important to note the only way to test for it is an MRI. The regular EKG won’t cut it. Insurance doesn’t pay for that, but athletes would get regularly tested for it. If the athlete has it, their season would be over. Thus removing the risk.

Playing football will not increase the risk of getting Covid. So far, it’s the opposite. Student athletes have been testing positive at a much smaller rate than the rest of the population because of all of the regulations. They also would be doing regular testing, so they could get an earlier diagnosis and treatment. And they are getting additional scans.

Playing football does not cause COVID. They are actually more likely to get if the athletics get canceled and they start furloughing medical staff and training staff because their won’t be the income to cover it. Testing and treatment will go down. The players are much more at risk if they don’t play.

Look, Coach Brohm has presented a plan to play spring ball and broke it all the way down. This was never done for the fall. They waited and hoped it would get better. It didn’t. They received terrible legal advice. But if you can show all of the testing and have a plan to stop playing if things get worse, and have the players sign strict medical/refusal to sue waivers you are golden. Somebody could die, but there have been student athletes that have died before and with the increase in testing and monitoring, some of the heart issues that have cause death in the past would be spotted sooner. The fact that they didn’t talk to the coaches to see if there was a plan that would work tells you everything you need to know. It’s not rocket science here. It’s incompetent leadership at the top starting with Warren.

Agree except for maybe one point. I'm not sure if the waiver would work out in the litigious society of today. Even if a kid and his parent(s) signed on, it would likely take just one serious issue to result in a huge lawsuit. Even with a waiver a lawsuit would result. Whether it would be successful or not who knows, but even the bad publicity alone would be monumental.

Agree except for maybe one point. I'm not sure if the waiver would work out in the litigious society of today. Even if a kid and his parent(s) signed on, it would likely take just one serious issue to result in a huge lawsuit. Even with a waiver a lawsuit would result. Whether it would be successful or not who knows, but even the bad publicity alone would be monumental.

To win a lawsuit they would have to prove that football caused the virus or that the university didn’t do enough to prevent it. If you have a plan and follow the plan on top of the waivers, you could sue but there would be nothing to stand on. There would have to be some form of negligence. Especially if they find a way to get them out of the general classes and semi-bubble them, the positive rate will be much much lower than the rest of the students. It can be done. Anybody not willing would be allowed to opt out with zero punishment. Anybody tests for the heart issue they are done. You therefore remove the liability. Run it by judges if that makes you feel better. If they see liability, address what causes it. But you have to take a plan, and the Big didn’t bother coming up with an actual plan at any point. That’s why I think folks need fired.

To win a lawsuit they would have to prove that football caused the virus or that the university didn’t do enough to prevent it. If you have a plan and follow the plan on top of the waivers, you could sue but there would be nothing to stand on. There would have to be some form of negligence. Especially if they find a way to get them out of the general classes and semi-bubble them, the positive rate will be much much lower than the rest of the students. It can be done. Anybody not willing would be allowed to opt out with zero punishment. Anybody tests for the heart issue they are done. You therefore remove the liability. Run it by judges if that makes you feel better. If they see liability, address what causes it. But you have to take a plan, and the Big didn’t bother coming up with an actual plan at any point. That’s why I think folks need fired.

I understand completely, and wasn't really disagreeing with you original points. Just saying that in today's world in general and relative to this virus specifically there would still be lawsuits even with waivers. Even if those lawsuits aren't successful the very public optics would be bad, and very detrimental to whatever programs get sued(and college football in general). We've all seen the hysteria in reporting about this virus so just imagine that media explosion if just one kid dies or suffers long term effects. Facts(e.g., a signed waiver) wouldn't matter at that point.

I understand completely, and wasn't really disagreeing with you original points. Just saying that in today's world in general and relative to this virus specifically there would still be lawsuits even with waivers. Even if those lawsuits aren't successful the very public optics would be bad, and very detrimental to whatever programs get sued(and college football in general). We've all seen the hysteria in reporting about this virus so just imagine that media explosion if just one kid dies or suffers long term effects. Facts(e.g., a signed waiver) wouldn't matter at that point.

Hot take. After the election, the hysteria goes away.

I'm trying to remember if we sat Lewis Jackson after the Wisconsin game where he played sick as a dog with the flu. He certainly needed to be cleared of myocarditis concerns, right? Because that is one of the risks associated with getting the flu.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT