ADVERTISEMENT

Myles Colvin Offered Pro Contract

Fair question but I'm concluding they plan on hitting more than they miss. Remember, good money can be made all over the world in basketball. I'm sure some deals will be great, some good and some not so good. Every player will have to decide where they fall on that spectrum, I suppose

Yes, this is risky.....for people like us. For a Beazos and crew.....not so much. It might not work but who cares?
Do they actually make any money by hitting though or do they just get their loan back from that player? I mean, ultimately, they need people to watch this for it to make money I would think. Bezos could certainly afford to fund this for however long he wants to but I doubt he's planning on making it a personal charity. The goal probably is to develop it into something that is self-supporting or better.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
How does this not require revenue? If you're loaning money to players with the expectation that many will never pay it back, you're either going to need revenue to cover that or you're just giving away money. I doubt this is set up as a charitable endeavor. They will at least want to break even and probably seek a decent return on their investment.

And the University is not paying NIL money. They may be able to reach out and try to organize boosters to provide it to players. I'm not sure how the rules work. But while I agree that the programs that are able to organize this best will benefit from it, I don't think they are exactly negotiating on behalf of their players/recruits.
Guess it is like a forward contract where you are betting on future upside with a minimal exposure to downside - $500k. Spreading the risk across a dozen or so guys and you have one hit so that upside negates the losses elsewhere. If your worth a billion it doesn’t matter.

Do they actually make any money by hitting though or do they just get their loan back from that player? I mean, ultimately, they need people to watch this for it to make money I would think. Bezos could certainly afford to fund this for however long he wants to but I doubt he's planning on making it a personal charity. The goal probably is to develop it into something that is self-supporting or better.
I believe watching the product is just a bonus for this league. Any marketing revenue has to be looked at as minimal. They know the numbers from other leagues. To me, it's similar to flipping a house. You invest $600k in a property that has a high probability to give you a good return in 1 -2 years.

I can't believe most investments will reach $600k so the risk is minimal to an investment group like this. I think for a lot of players, the idea that they can get paid up front and, potentially, only have to pay back money made on future contracts would be very attractive. They are betting on themselves with someone else's money that has faith in their success.

I guess it's all in the contract language in how long it takes and how much to pay back in whether it's attractive.

Last edited:
Guess it is like a forward contract where you are betting on future upside with a minimal exposure to downside - $500k. Spreading the risk across a dozen or so guys and you have one hit so that upside negates the losses elsewhere. If your worth a billion it doesn’t matter.
This is how I see it as well.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
So if you make enough, they retain a claim on future earnings even past the point of repayment? Why would you sign up for that?
Some of the players they go after come from terrible situations. $500K sounds like an enormous number. These players are 16-18 years old. They may not be financially savvy at that age. The people surrounding them are not likely financially savvy either.

Rosie and his family are certainly on the opposite end of the spectrum. I think they see right through this scheme.

Some of the players they go after come from terrible situations. $500K sounds like an enormous number. These players are 16-18 years old. They may not be financially savvy at that age. The people surrounding them are not likely financially savvy either.

Rosie and his family are certainly on the opposite end of the spectrum. I think they see right through this scheme.
The only way I take that offer as a player is if I'm relatively sure I will never make the NBA either because I don't think I'm good enough or because I don't really want to. I just don't see many top twenty talents signing over 5% of all future earnings, for example, in exchange for 300-500k up front. And if this league isn't getting the cream of the crop, fewer will make the NBA which appears to be a driver of their revenue AND it's one fewer reason to watch than what they started with which is already insufficient I think. We will see. Bezos isn't dumb. I don't think I'm getting the full picture of this plan because from my understanding it seems like it would have no chance of success.

The only way I take that offer as a player is if I'm relatively sure I will never make the NBA either because I don't think I'm good enough or because I don't really want to. I just don't see many top twenty talents signing over 5% of all future earnings, for example, in exchange for 300-500k up front. And if this league isn't getting the cream of the crop, fewer will make the NBA which appears to be a driver of their revenue AND it's one fewer reason to watch than what they started with which is already insufficient I think. We will see. Bezos isn't dumb. I don't think I'm getting the full picture of this plan because from my understanding it seems like it would have no chance of success.
We don’t know the cut these “sponsors” get for sure, but I bet it’s more than 5%. It wouldn’t surprise me if it’s closer to 15-20%.

Reactions: Indy_Rider
We don’t know the cut these “sponsors” get for sure, but I bet it’s more than 5%. It wouldn’t surprise me if it’s closer to 15-20%.
It also seems odd to me that a minor could even legally make such a decision to enter into a binding contract for the rest of their lives.

This is how I see it as well.
Beware the small print, where angels & wise men fear to tread, but vultures & ambulance chasers are always lurking. If these young men are going to gamble their futures, better to go to Vegas. I doubt Myles falls for the bait. He can keep that money, if he is as good/becomes as good as they/most think he is. Patience is a virtue.

Reactions: SDBoiler1
The minor would likely have to get a parent/guardian to sign off on it.
It surprises me that it's legal for a parent/guardian to sign away a minor's entire future. Many bad parents out there that would take that 200k up front and use it for themselves and make their child pay for it for the rest of their lives.

It surprises me that it's legal for a parent/guardian to sign away a minor's entire future. Many bad parents out there that would take that 200k up front and use it for themselves and make their child pay for it for the rest of their lives.
You’re getting into legal philosophy too much. A parent/guardian is responsible for the minor. The player AND the parent/guardian both sign. The parent/guardian’s signature makes it legally binding. Parents/guardians sign documents for minors all the time.

Reactions: West James
You’re getting into legal philosophy too much. A parent/guardian is responsible for the minor. The player AND the parent/guardian both sign. The parent/guardian’s signature makes it legally binding. Parents/guardians sign documents for minors all the time.
How is it getting into too much legal philosophy to question how a parent can sell off a percentage of their child's entire adult career earnings? Where's the line? If someone offers them 750k for 50% of all future earnings, is that ok? 80% of all future earnings? I'm no lawyer but I don't think a parent can sell their minor child into indentured servitude that lasts into adulthood. Maybe I'm wrong but I'd be surprised.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
If something is signed prior to a player actually being in the NBA, that document is legally binding. What you’re talking about is for contracts signed by players for the G-League or the NBA. This isn’t that.
So this would just be a cut of their future endorsement earnings, and not their future NBA salary?

How is it getting into too much legal philosophy to question how a parent can sell off a percentage of their child's entire adult career earnings? Where's the line? If someone offers them 750k for 50% of all future earnings, is that ok? 80% of all future earnings? I'm no lawyer but I don't think a parent can sell their minor child into indentured servitude that lasts into adulthood. Maybe I'm wrong but I'd be surprised.
When the child turns 18, they are not bound to a contract that was signed by a third party, even a guardian, when they were 16 or 17. Something is missing here. But any way you look at it, it makes Bezos et al. appear to be exploiting families who are in bad situations.

Last edited:
When the child turns 18, they are not bound to a contract that was signed by a third party, even a guardian, when they were 16 or 17. Something is missing here. But any way you look at it, it makes Bezos et al. appear to be exploiting families who are in bad situations.
"... bad situations." or unaware/unprepared &/or assuming the new league has the best of intentions for/regarding them. One thing is for sure, if the offer to Myles is/was for mostly a marketing/advertising purpose, it looks to have worked pretty well about now (almost free advertising).

'There's a good reason the fine print is fine'

Just say no

Ancient One

I wonder what the dialogue is between the staff and the Colvins. Is he still “committed”?

So if you make enough, they retain a claim on future earnings even past the point of repayment? Why would you sign up for that?
I would absolutely encourage my kids to sign up for this. But their chances of making money from playing professionally is close to 0%.

if my kids were a top prospect, and money is not an issue, college is clearly the better choice. This is the position the Colvins are apparently in.

I would absolutely encourage my kids to sign up for this. But their chances of making money from playing professionally is close to 0%.

if my kids were a top prospect, and money is not an issue, college is clearly the better choice. This is the position the Colvins are apparently in.
Exactly. The type of kid that would usually sign up for this deal is the type of kid they aren't going to make any money off. Again, I think my understanding of this arrangement has to be off because Bezos is smart and this setup sounds anything but smart as I currently understand it.

Last edited:
I tried to read up on this league - seems like the people most hurt by this will be prep schools. It seems like they are going to take a risk on a number of kids and train/condition them like they are pros. They will divide them into teams and play games and make money and work to get them endorsement deals

Sounds kind of predatory.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT