ADVERTISEMENT

Myles Colvin Offered Pro Contract

The world of sports is insane right now . But this is an extension of the one and done IMO . We no longer have to beat out MSU for recruits now we have to beat out pro's . Colvin is the best prospect we have had in a long time and a lock until today . When his dad tweets out this story I don't like our chances .

My first impression is to not be overly worried and perhaps they will use it as leverage for other NIL type deals.

Second, how many of these kids who do this random pro league have been drafted or seen their potential draft stock increase? I know this is still a new phenomenon but it can't be a lot.

Anyone know what average salaries in this league look like? I suppose Purdue could try to have someone counter with an NIL agreement for similar money.

It’s too bad Bob Rohrman passed away. He would have loved having some of these guys in his commercials.
Each athlete will receive a guaranteed minimum salary of at least $100,000 per year, plus bonuses and shares of equity in Overtime. Players will participate in revenue from use of their name, image and likeness, including through sales of custom jerseys, trading cards, video games, and NFTs. Players retain the right to sign direct sponsorships with sneaker companies.

Reactions: West James
My first impression is to not be overly worried and perhaps they will use it as leverage for other NIL type deals.

Second, how many of these kids who do this random pro league have been drafted or seen their potential draft stock increase? I know this is still a new phenomenon but it can't be a lot.
College looks like the better path for a person his age, experience & worldliness. I believe he would be wise to go with Purdue, at least until he starts to dominate the other players around him, our team & our opponents. When that happens to him, good luck where ever you go, & whatever you do. Good luck now anyway.

http://www.overtimeelite.com

Take no prisoners

No Apologies

Last edited:
Reactions: GregJM24 and DAG10
Darn, figures they go after a Purdue recruit. He has to move up to the top player in the state, right? Are they reaching out to other players like this?

Each athlete will receive a guaranteed minimum salary of at least $100,000 per year, plus bonuses and shares of equity in Overtime. Players will participate in revenue from use of their name, image and likeness, including through sales of custom jerseys, trading cards, video games, and NFTs. Players retain the right to sign direct sponsorships with sneaker companies.
Yikes, "$100,000" is a lot of money, especially for a person his age. Btw, how is this OEL guaranteed to make a profit/stay afloat? Does the NBA fund them in any way? Who does? Thanks for your informative post. I just don't see this new league competing (successfully) with the NBA in sales, marketing, profit margin & viability/sustainability. I could be wrong?

Either Way (good luck Myles)

Take No Prisoners

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER

I would've been more worried about this before NIL, but there's always a chance he decides to forego college. Hopefully he decides to stick with school
I went to the OEL website, trying to find out about them. How many teams, how many players, ect., ect... Well, if you follow Twitter, they like to link to them. Still didn't find out about the teams, only a few players they have signed. Other than the $100,000 guaranteed, I think this league is something of a risk, & could go the way of the CFL, ABA & American Football League. Hope nobody gets hurt in the process. I still don't see them cutting into the NBA dominance/$$$ much. Anybody know the different teams, when league play starts, or all the players they now have??? Looks like this league might be hooked up to/with gaming/gambling (legalized hopefully)?

Good luck

Deep Pockets

The world of sports is insane right now . But this is an extension of the one and done IMO . We no longer have to beat out MSU for recruits now we have to beat out pro's . Colvin is the best prospect we have had in a long time and a lock until today . When his dad tweets out this story I don't like our chances .
As someone who actually knows Dad a bit, and, has seen/followed son...I am surprised by the offer, and, the tweet.

Seeking attention and recognition has never seemingly been something that Rosevelt was about...himself, or, with his children.

Myles...talented for sure, but, to someone else's point below, he was earlier this year deemed like the 11th best player in his class...in the state of Indiana. Now how accurate that is is debatable certainly, but, this whole thing seems a little odd.

All of that said...while I find it difficult to believe...if the Colvin family feels like this is what is best for Myles and his future, best wishes to him and them.

I would've been more worried about this before NIL, but there's always a chance he decides to forego college. Hopefully he decides to stick with school
After looking over the OEL website, people running it & what few players they have/have signed, this league looks to be at risk of being here 4 years from now, unless many more players quickly sign onto them, they get more financing/$$$, & get sponsorship (jersey sponsorship, (more) investors & otherwise). It looks like they are trying to catch fire from here & now, & through marketing, (more) players signing on, & more investors. I just don't see it happening. How many teams do they have? Who are the teams? When does play start? Too many unanswered questions, & not enough $$$, players & interest.

Good Luck

You'll Need It

Myles is far from a guarantee to go to the nba straight out of college, and accepting this offer would prevent him from playing college ball as this is considered a pro league. While 100,000$ is a lot, he’s already from a very rich family. NIL plus the value of a degree far outweighs the money this league can offer him IMO.

Also no one except scouts and a few hardcore basketball fans are going to be watching these games. Would miss out on playing in front of packed college arenas. I would be surprised if they take this route.

I don't think I Overtime's main purpose has anything to do with creating a fan base for their league. They are a media production company first, and these kids have huge social media followings and insane view counts on their highlight videos. If Overtime can corner the highlight market and leverage the young stars social media pull, they can create a very lucrative targeted advertising platform. I don't think Jeff Bezos is a major investor because he wants to watch more basketball...

I don't think I Overtime's main purpose has anything to do with creating a fan base for their league. They are a media production company first, and these kids have huge social media followings and insane view counts on their highlight videos. If Overtime can corner the highlight market and leverage the young stars social media pull, they can create a very lucrative targeted advertising platform. I don't think Jeff Bezos is a major investor because he wants to watch more basketball...
This league sounds like a pipe dream, at best. Hope nobody gets hurt from dashed expectations, fools gold or broken promises. I doubt Myles takes the bait/$$$, & he likely makes the right choice & goes to Purdue. This league/collection of dreams, expectations & lofty possibilities, sounds like a bad gamble for most, at best. I doubt they/league organizers & employees ever get the $$$ they think they will.

Who are the teams? How many players do they now have? When does league play start? Too many unanswered questions, & not enough hard solid assets & potential. They might survive, but only if the NBA folds soon.

Not Likely

JD

Seems like something is missing. Im guessing overtime signs a contract with the player and thus can cash in if the player makes it big. Perhaps im wrong on that.

Seems like something is missing. Im guessing overtime signs a contract with the player and thus can cash in if the player makes it big. Perhaps im wrong on that.
Sounds like a real possibility you're right. Hope all the players know exactly what they're signing/getting into. Great point, it sounds like a huge risk, you lose college eligibility, & your options diminish quickly after signing. Unless you're a top, top/crem della crem player, a mighty big risk. Glad you brought that up. The entire league sounds like a huge gamble. Those little words/clauses/stipulations in the contract(s) can be mighty dangerous, & take a good ambulance chaser to clarify.

Not good

Usually Bad/Dangerous

Last edited:
Reactions: DAG10
I know nothing about this league, a few questions though.
Is there a timeline involved here for him to decide?
Is this for players of a certain age?
So CMP is kinda held hostage here with that scholarship now in no man's land. I realize he's a '23, just wonder how long will it be a unknown?

If this was any other player, I’d be concerned. But:

1. He has a dad who knows how to take the long view. The goal is the nba right? I’d rather be in a program and league that knows how to develop NBA players.

2. His family is wealthy. The 100k “guaranteed” (pretax) doesn’t mean as much. Especially when weighed against an 60k education, NIL money, nutritionists, trainers, free clothes and food, free living space, therapists, etc. Does this fledgling league offer those benefits as well?

3. he bleeds gold and black. His sister is here. College is fun. The fans will undoubtedly be better in Mackey.

If this was any other player, I’d be concerned. But:

1. He has a dad who knows how to take the long view. The goal is the nba right? I’d rather be in a program and league that knows how to develop NBA players.

2. His family is wealthy. The 100k “guaranteed” (pretax) doesn’t mean as much. Especially when weighed against an 60k education, NIL money, nutritionists, trainers, free clothes and food, free living space, therapists, etc. Does this fledgling league offer those benefits as well?

3. he bleeds gold and black. His sister is here. College is fun. The fans will undoubtedly be better in Mackey.
Could the league's offer have been (little more than) a marketing/advertising ploy? If so, it may have already worked to some degree, whether Myles signs with them or not?

Last edited:
Reactions: Indy_Rider
several players went into a developmental league instead of college and were actually drafted by the NBA this year. It's highly possible these new minor leagues will become as successful as minor league baseball is. if your dream is to play professional basketball rather than get a college degree, these minor leagues seem to be a good choice. I say it's about time athletes had a choice, and colleges stopped being a free minor league for the NBA and NFL.

several players went into a developmental league instead of college and were actually drafted by the NBA this year. It's highly possible these new minor leagues will become as successful as minor league baseball is. if your dream is to play professional basketball rather than get a college degree, these minor leagues seem to be a good choice. I say it's about time athletes had a choice, and colleges stopped being a free minor league for the NBA and NFL.

"several"

It looks like two (2) in the first round, and one (1) in the second round.

I'm all for the developmental leagues, especially for those who don't want to be (or shouldn't be) in college.

"several"

Reactions: SDBoiler1
Sounds like a colossal failure waiting to happen. I can't speak for anyone else, but I'll probably watch Colvin play a ton at Purdue. If he plays in this league, I will never see him play or care what he does. I've always been of the opinion that most people watch college sports because they cheer for the name on the front of the jersey more than the name on the back. That's why there has never been a successful minor league basketball league. Until there is, I'm skeptical one can deliver these six-figure salaries they're promising and, as far as the equity is concerned, a percentage of nothing is nothing.

If I were a player with little interest in going to college, I might try this and see how it goes and hope for the best. I just don't see it generating any significant fan interest in the long term to sustain the costs they'll incur and the salaries they're promising.

Agree. The T-League only survives because it is supported by NBA money. Hopefully the NBA continues to prop that up (along with the WNBA) and these players who just want a paycheck can go get that. It can prove one more time what these players are worth without the college brands to perform from.

if that's the route players want to go, I'm ok with it.

We talk about how we feel bad if the player goes that route and doesn't make it to the NBA, and we feel sorry for them for choosing that path. I don't feel sorry for them at all.

We all know somebody whose lifelong dream was to play in the NBA. he went to college for that sole purpose, to showcase his talents. He went to college for 4 years, and didn't get drafted or even an invite to rookie camps. Going to college sure didn't help him. if only these minor leagues had existed earlier. he might have gone that route. and he may have actually realized his dream. maybe he'll go back to college and finish his degree. or maybe he'll now try out for one of these minor league teams.

on the other side of the coin, brandon jennings decided not to go to college, played in a Euro league and was a first round draft pick. he made the right decision not to go to college.

i recall feeling bad for that center from UW (Rashard Griffith) who entered the draft early, was a second round pick by the Bucks in 1995, and elected to play in Israel, Italy and Turkey instead. I recall people saying if only he had stayed in college one more year. I felt bad for him until I learned he was making $1 million a year . he never did play a game in the NBA, but he had a nice long career. He went back to college and got a degree in 2020 at the age of 45.

College isn't for everybody. I hated Calipari's statement as coach at kentucky, when he said his players are majoring in basketball. they come to kentucky not to get a degree, but rather to get a job playing basketball. The reality is he was right. the majority of his players didn't come to kentucky to get a degree. They came to kentucky with the dream of becoming a professional basketball player.

I see nothing wrong with that. if that's your dream, and you really don't want a college degree or education, that avenue should be open.

I remember the late U.S. Senator Paul Simon (Illinois) he went to college to get a degree in journalism. he did an internship in Chicago . They offered him a job . he took it and didn't return back to school to get his degree. Getting a degree isn't the greatest thing in life. if you can get a job and live your dream without a degree, i say do it.

if Colvin would rather accept $100,000 a year and play in the minors, than go to college, I would support his decision.

How long does one stay in the developmental league? If they are playing at 16-18 and don't get a good pro contract are they basically screwed in the sense they'd have to go to college on their own dime without eligibility? Can they even get into a good college? Not sure how institutions view Overtime transcripts.

if that's the route players want to go, I'm ok with it.

We talk about how we feel bad if the player goes that route and doesn't make it to the NBA, and we feel sorry for them for choosing that path. I don't feel sorry for them at all.

We all know somebody whose lifelong dream was to play in the NBA. he went to college for that sole purpose, to showcase his talents. He went to college for 4 years, and didn't get drafted or even an invite to rookie camps. Going to college sure didn't help him. if only these minor leagues had existed earlier. he might have gone that route. and he may have actually realized his dream. maybe he'll go back to college and finish his degree. or maybe he'll now try out for one of these minor league teams.

on the other side of the coin, brandon jennings decided not to go to college, played in a Euro league and was a first round draft pick. he made the right decision not to go to college.

i recall feeling bad for that center from UW (Rashard Griffith) who entered the draft early, was a second round pick by the Bucks in 1995, and elected to play in Israel, Italy and Turkey instead. I recall people saying if only he had stayed in college one more year. I felt bad for him until I learned he was making $1 million a year . he never did play a game in the NBA, but he had a nice long career. He went back to college and got a degree in 2020 at the age of 45.

College isn't for everybody. I hated Calipari's statement as coach at kentucky, when he said his players are majoring in basketball. they come to kentucky not to get a degree, but rather to get a job playing basketball. The reality is he was right. the majority of his players didn't come to kentucky to get a degree. They came to kentucky with the dream of becoming a professional basketball player.

I see nothing wrong with that. if that's your dream, and you really don't want a college degree or education, that avenue should be open.

I remember the late U.S. Senator Paul Simon (Illinois) he went to college to get a degree in journalism. he did an internship in Chicago . They offered him a job . he took it and didn't return back to school to get his degree. Getting a degree isn't the greatest thing in life. if you can get a job and live your dream without a degree, i say do it.

if Colvin would rather accept $100,000 a year and play in the minors, than go to college, I would support his decision.
One (possibly/probably very important, especially later/a little later in life) thing about going to college, as opposed to just signing on with a league like OEL, you interact with a much wider range of individuals in college life, than you normally would by just going to a place/league with just basketball players surrounding you most of your time there.

College can make one a more rounded/versatile/worldly/experienced person, & more ready to take on the many challenges of life, be it in basketball or out of basketball. I'll take college, for the total experience it helps these young people grow, survive & flourish with. Good luck to Myles, no matter where he goes, or what he does or encounters. I think he will make the right/wise choice, & be better off for it.

One last thing, it would appear the penalty/consequences for leaving this league early, is much greater, than leaving college early?

Last edited:
Sounds like a colossal failure waiting to happen. I can't speak for anyone else, but I'll probably watch Colvin play a ton at Purdue. If he plays in this league, I will never see him play or care what he does. I've always been of the opinion that most people watch college sports because they cheer for the name on the front of the jersey more than the name on the back. That's why there has never been a successful minor league basketball league. Until there is, I'm skeptical one can deliver these six-figure salaries they're promising and, as far as the equity is concerned, a percentage of nothing is nothing.

If I were a player with little interest in going to college, I might try this and see how it goes and hope for the best. I just don't see it generating any significant fan interest in the long term to sustain the costs they'll incur and the salaries they're promising.
Yeah, for the most part, the people watching their social media videos are college hoops fans hoping he picks their school. Once he goes pro, or commits to another school, that kid is off the radar and it’s on to the next potential recruit.

There are probably a few NBA draftniks that will still follow these kids, but that’s about it.

How long does one stay in the developmental league? If they are playing at 16-18 and don't get a good pro contract are they basically screwed in the sense they'd have to go to college on their own dime without eligibility? Can they even get into a good college? Not sure how institutions view Overtime transcripts.
Think you have to be 1 year removed from your technical senior year or perhaps it is age based combo as well before you could add your name to the NBA draft.

Reactions: oldboiler52
Excellent question on the education they will be getting in this league. Will it be recognized and good enough to get into a good school? The 100K for college is great, if you can get in. Since they won't be able to play college ball, their entrance will be based on scholastic ability only. Something for them to consider for sure.

Reactions: Indy_Rider
"Player must be 19 years old during draft calender year, and at least one season has passed since graduation of high school."

Link
Right. Thats for NBA. Thats why I said "pro" contract. While I'm sure all these guys dream of the NBA, realistically only a few will make it to the NBA. However, there are lucrative contracts overseas.

My point is if a viable contract isn't made available, what do these guys do? Barring major injury, you'd at least expect these guys to go to a D1 college on a full ride. However, they wouldn't have any eligibility if they take the money. I think I did read they can get 100k in tuition, which may be enough.

I'm all for thinking outside the box and people getting theirs. Just think Overtime seems a bit risky from what little I've read thus far, and a bit shady too if they are essentially going to own these players via contracts when they go pro (*I haven't read the latter part as fact anywhere, so that could be incorrect).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT