My Notes Sharon Versyp Show 11/25/19

DocRon

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 15, 2001
Sheridan , Michigan
Sharon Versyp Show 11/25/2019
(with Tim Newton at 1910 hours)

1. Tim: It was a good test Sunday against a team (NIU) that will be a threat in the MAC. They gave you all you could handle. Coach: Like anything if you can quickly knock down shots you are going from the start and if the shots aren’t falling then it is a struggle. NIU knocked down tough shots early even though we were right in their face. In the second half we said we can’t allow them to keep putting up 3PT like they did. They had 8 in the first half of the game and only 1 in the 2nd.
  2. NIU is a mid-major and everyone thinks you should be beating them by 20 or 30 but they are a good team which helps our RPI and that is the kind of team we want to play - a real aggressive team that will do really well in their own conference.
  3. It is nice to be in tight games. If we win by 20 or 30 all the time then we don’t learn how to handle things down the stretch. The last 3 mins we were able to take care of the ball better. We were able to make FT’s the last 3 mins. So overall we had a lot of growth from one game to the next.
  4. Tim: Courtney Woods is a big-time player for them. She has scored almost 1800 pts for them and is their 5th all-time leading scorer. She hit a couple of early 3PTers and then you shut her down until the last few mins. Coach: That was a big thing to contain her. If we limit her points and a few others and can reduce what they score down to 8 or so, then you have a good chance to win. They are a good team and well-coached. But our kids persevered.
  5. Tim: Coaches always talk about the first 5 mins of the 3rd Q but sometime the last 2-3 mins before the half matter a lot too. You got 5 points right before half time. Coach: Yeah, we got a 3PT shot and then Farquhar knocked down a last-second jump shot which was really needed. It was either down 10 or down by 5 - a big momentum changer.
  6. At half time we talked about how important it was to take off in the first few mins of the 3rd Q to get even and then make a run. And we talked about locking down on D.
  7. Farquhar is “our defensive player.” She “blew on somebody Sunday and got two quick fouls. That kept her from getting in rhythm. People don’t understand - she is the X-factor for our team.”
  8. Coach about Farquhar: “On the defensive end, rebounding on both ends, Farquhar can score points for us. And she was the big difference maker the entire 2nd half. She came alive and everything rose to another level. I told her ‘I’m going to put you back in but you have 2 fouls. I believe in you and trust you and we need you out there’ and she played for about 3 mins with those two fouls and then in the second half she did a phenomenal job.”
  9. Tim: Down the stretch NIU got the lead down to two points and Farquhar got fouled with about 10 or 11 seconds to go and she goes to the FT line. If she missed both FT’s and they sink a 3PT you lose. But she hit both FTs in the middle of the basket - nothing but net. Coach: Her growth has been immense in that area. She is one of our best 15 ft shooters. Looking at her stats she is one of our most efficient FG% players as well. I remember last year against Northwestern she had 18 rebounds and at the end she got fouled and had to make two FTs for us to take the lead and she did it. She has put in a lot of work and you want that to pay off and it did.
  10. Tim: Yesterday just before she hit those FTs she made a huge defensive play where she got down on the floor and caused a tie-up with the arrow in our favor. That was a big play.
  11. Coach: That’s what I said. She is our defensive leader. Harris is obviously behind everyone making the big blocks but Farquhar - when you are just playing one-on-one D and causing problems… she had deflections; she had steals. You love kids getting on the floor… that’s what it’s about… getting those 50/50 balls and that was huge.
  12. Tim: In the 3rd Q Sunday it was Oden 12 and NIU 11. She came out with something to prove and lit it up both inside and outside. Coach: Stats don’t lie and we have stats that show when she starts a game with our first six or eight pts we usually win the game. We need her to get off and do that. She did that in our closed scrimmage against Notre Dame. But the last 3 games she has not done that. We need her to start faster for us.
  13. We had a talk at halftime and whatever happened (at the start of the second half) it was beautiful to watch. She is fun to watch - so coachable. When she gets in that zone her shot looks so pretty, there is no hitch in it - no thinking about it. She plays both ends of the floor. She is one of our better defenders. She is smart - stays between the player and the basket. She is physical and boxes out. But we need her scoring.
  14. We are not shooting 3PT’s great right now. McLaughlin is feeling some pressure because she is not knocking down that shot like she has been in the past. She has to relax and have fun. We have Hardin back so hopefully that will take some pressure off her.
  15. Tim: I missed one of the baskets Sunday when McLaughlin stole the ball on an inboutnds right under their basket and put it in. Coach: I missed it too. But it shows you don’t have to contribute just through your shooting. She is a great point guard, she contributes through her passing, she gets us organized. She is playing good defense chasing after players.
  16. Coach: I was a shooter too. I played the 1 or the 2. You can’t let the pressure get to you. Then you start to aim the ball and you “wish the ball in” rather than just playing. I think McLaughlin is going to have a great tournament this weekend. Once that ball starts falling then we know what will happen. But we’ve been successful without her shooting the ball really well so that has been good for us.
  17. Tim: We had a feeling Traylor would bounce back after what, for her, was a subpar game against W. Illinois. She came out with 16 points and 9 assists and really gave you a spark on both ends. Coach: She absolutely came through. She needed it - the team needed it. When she and I are connected on the floor great things happen. She really wanted to step up and she did well. This is probably one of the most complete games she has had. If she can continue that, it will be great for us.
  18. Tim: Harris had 5 blocked shots including the clincher. It is awfully nice to have someone on that back line to erase mistakes. Coach: She Keeps telling everyone “Just trust me” and I think we have stopped fouling if we are trying to prevent a 3PT and someone gets by us. Let her take them on. My favorite was when she blocked a shot, got the ball going out of bounds and threw it to her teammate behind her back. I tell our players “When she blocks a shot you guys need to go get it.”
  19. Coach: Harris is really playing well on both ends of the court and continuing to lead. I am pushing her envelope. We need her to be very good every day. And we need her energy and her excitement and her voice. And she’s been doing that.
  20. Tim: For the first time Sunday you could look down your bench and see all 15 players suited up and able to play. Coach: Yeah. This summer when we were working out and went to Australia Grant and Hardin were integral parts of those trips. Both were playing a good 20 mins apiece - really getting in the flow and playing well. Then they were sidelined for two months.
  21. Hardin is still a little ahead of Grant. Hardin has been able to go full-on for the last week. It is so nice she got in and hit her first two shots. But she also boxed out, got some rebounds and got some assists. She has such a great BB IQ. She stretches the floor for us and is a very good passer. It was like her first game all over again - like an exhibition game - but her teammates trust and believe in her.
  22. Grant - this is the first time in a year and a half putting on a uniform in Mackey with lights on and in front of a good crowd. No question she played through some jitters. But being able to have that before we go to Florida was really, really good. She has not done as much full court as Hardin but has really played well in practice. Coach told her “You did a very good job and now that part is over and you can go in and relax. You know what it is like.”
  23. Grant & Hardin will both obviously help our depth with their experience and skill set. Grant at the 4 will really help Farquhar who can also play the 3 and Hardin will rotate for Oden. All those pieces are fitting together. But when you come off an injury everyone thinks it is easy but it is not.
  24. Coach: We have one of the best trainers - Jess Witzel (sp?) - who is one of the best in the business. She is able to get these kids in great shape without pounding their legs. When they come back they will be fatigued by the “physicality” of the game but not because of lack of cardio stamina. When you are beating on each other and stressing lateral movement and boxing each other out - that is basketball shape and you will be fatigued from that. Jess got these two back so much earlier than we anticipated. We just want to be careful not to hurt them long-term but she is one of the best at it.
  25. Coach: Diagne “got hit in the head for a second” early in Sunday’s game and could not come back in. We are hoping to have her for Friday. She was okay today and we will take it one day at a time.
  26. Playing in the Gulf Coast Showcase this Fri, Sat & Sunday. Will get there late Tues evening. On Wed in AM will go to Children’s Hospital for 1-2 hrs and give back and enjoy that experience being around kids who are struggling and trying to get healthy. Then have “Thanksgiving dinner” with family or friends, then practice 5-7PM. Then go back to hotel and eat again. And obviously get ready for Drake during that time.
  27. Then on Thursday we have an activity with the team, then practice and then a banquet with all the 8 teams. Then Thanksgiving dinner (again).
  28. Then on Friday prep and pre-game meals. Drake game is at 7:30 PM. If we win we will play at 7:30 PM again on Sat. If we lose we turn around quickly and play at 1:30 PM.
  29. Tim: All of the games will be on BOB-FM with Brian Jennings broadcasting. (Tim will stay in W. Lafayette for IU-Purdue football game.)
  30. Second opponent will be either Arizona State or Maine.
  31. Tim: Drake Bulldogs are 4-1 Jennie Baranczyk is their head coach and fans will remember she was Jennie Lillis of the Iowa Hawkeyes. She was a great outside shooter and perimeter player. She has had great success with 20 or more wins in 5 straight seasons.
  32. Coach: Drake’s style of play is extremely fast. They pass the ball like a men’s team… bam-bam-bam. They have a great post player like Harris and good shooters. They will want to get up and down and take as many shots as possible and, of course, we will want to make them do “the reverse.”
  33. Post Sara Rhine (6’1” R-Sr) is averaging more than 21 pts/game. Coach: Sara has a great turn-around, fade-away over her right shoulder. She has a great drop step. She’ll step out and shoot a 3PT although that is not her “big game.” And she runs the floor exceptionally well, as does the whole team. She will be tough.
  34. As a team Drake avgs 82 pts but give up 75. They do five out. Every single kid will post you up. They are just running and kicking. You are not going to beat them if they score 80 points. Need to keep them below 70 but 60-65 would be good.
  35. Arizona State is 3-1 losing at Minnesota 66-80. Charli Turner Thorne is head coach and she has had a great run. Their best is a post player Ja’Tavia Tapley (6’3” Sr) who avgs 17 pts., 7.5 rebounds and is over 90% at foul line. Unlike Drake and Maine (“5 guards chasing them all over the place”) their team is very like ours in terms of size, style etc. They are more of a typical Power 5 team.
  36. Coach Versyp is familiar with Maine. This is their chance for mid-major to make a name for themselves. Coach is Amy Vachon who is an alumna. One of their best players is Blanca Millan (6’1” Sr) scores 21 pts/game. She is a great rebounder. They are not scoring as much this year as last.
  37. Sunday games are against any of Auburn, Dayton, Gonzaga or Middle Tennessee and will be anywhere from 11:00AM to 7:30 PM depending on how we do. It is a great tournament - we’ve been there before and done good things. Almost all the teams were in the NCAA last year. Auburn presses you the entire time. The others are all good.
  38. Nice to spend time together. Make memories. Continuing to get to know each other. Diagne and Makolo were not with team in Australia. Will be first Thanksgiving away from home for a lot of the team members.
  39. Purdue’s Approach: Have to prep this week for first game. After that, just look at next team’s tendencies and worry about what we do well. Coaches look at scouting reports but players need to concentrate on doing well what they do.
  40. Tim: Have not talked about Whilby and Woltman. Both need to contribute.
  41. Coach: Woltman played about 5 mins on Sunday. She needs to be more physical and play defense. That is where she needs to grow. She did get up and down the floor and played defense “fine.” We need her rebounds and we need to get her touches on the block. She needs to learn to avoid the dribble - she always wants to put the ball down instead of just going up with it. “We need her to progress” as she has a big body and is athletic - so much potential. She was not asked to play D in high school. She needs to show her arm’s length. We say sometimes she has “hands in her pockets.”
  42. Lots of family are coming to the tournament and we know there will be lots of alumni there too.
  43. Beat IU on Saturday!

Wow, great report Ron. Who needs GBI, when we have you? Versyp seems really energized. Will be interesting to see how the team competes this weekend as this is an NCAA important tournament.

Reactions: DocRon and pufan73
Sharon Versyp Show 11/25/2019
(with Tim Newton at 1910 hours)

1. Tim: It was a good test Sunday against a team (NIU) that will be a threat in the MAC. They gave you all you could handle. Coach: Like anything if you can quickly knock down shots you are going from the start and if the shots aren’t falling then it is a struggle. NIU knocked down tough shots early even though we were right in their face. In the second half we said we can’t allow them to keep putting up 3PT like they did. They had 8 in the first half of the game and only 1 in the 2nd.
  2. NIU is a mid-major and everyone thinks you should be beating them by 20 or 30 but they are a good team which helps our RPI and that is the kind of team we want to play - a real aggressive team that will do really well in their own conference.
  3. It is nice to be in tight games. If we win by 20 or 30 all the time then we don’t learn how to handle things down the stretch. The last 3 mins we were able to take care of the ball better. We were able to make FT’s the last 3 mins. So overall we had a lot of growth from one game to the next.
  4. Tim: Courtney Woods is a big-time player for them. She has scored almost 1800 pts for them and is their 5th all-time leading scorer. She hit a couple of early 3PTers and then you shut her down until the last few mins. Coach: That was a big thing to contain her. If we limit her points and a few others and can reduce what they score down to 8 or so, then you have a good chance to win. They are a good team and well-coached. But our kids persevered.
  5. Tim: Coaches always talk about the first 5 mins of the 3rd Q but sometime the last 2-3 mins before the half matter a lot too. You got 5 points right before half time. Coach: Yeah, we got a 3PT shot and then Farquhar knocked down a last-second jump shot which was really needed. It was either down 10 or down by 5 - a big momentum changer.
  6. At half time we talked about how important it was to take off in the first few mins of the 3rd Q to get even and then make a run. And we talked about locking down on D.
  7. Farquhar is “our defensive player.” She “blew on somebody Sunday and got two quick fouls. That kept her from getting in rhythm. People don’t understand - she is the X-factor for our team.”
  8. Coach about Farquhar: “On the defensive end, rebounding on both ends, Farquhar can score points for us. And she was the big difference maker the entire 2nd half. She came alive and everything rose to another level. I told her ‘I’m going to put you back in but you have 2 fouls. I believe in you and trust you and we need you out there’ and she played for about 3 mins with those two fouls and then in the second half she did a phenomenal job.”
  9. Tim: Down the stretch NIU got the lead down to two points and Farquhar got fouled with about 10 or 11 seconds to go and she goes to the FT line. If she missed both FT’s and they sink a 3PT you lose. But she hit both FTs in the middle of the basket - nothing but net. Coach: Her growth has been immense in that area. She is one of our best 15 ft shooters. Looking at her stats she is one of our most efficient FG% players as well. I remember last year against Northwestern she had 18 rebounds and at the end she got fouled and had to make two FTs for us to take the lead and she did it. She has put in a lot of work and you want that to pay off and it did.
  10. Tim: Yesterday just before she hit those FTs she made a huge defensive play where she got down on the floor and caused a tie-up with the arrow in our favor. That was a big play.
  11. Coach: That’s what I said. She is our defensive leader. Harris is obviously behind everyone making the big blocks but Farquhar - when you are just playing one-on-one D and causing problems… she had deflections; she had steals. You love kids getting on the floor… that’s what it’s about… getting those 50/50 balls and that was huge.
  12. Tim: In the 3rd Q Sunday it was Oden 12 and NIU 11. She came out with something to prove and lit it up both inside and outside. Coach: Stats don’t lie and we have stats that show when she starts a game with our first six or eight pts we usually win the game. We need her to get off and do that. She did that in our closed scrimmage against Notre Dame. But the last 3 games she has not done that. We need her to start faster for us.
  13. We had a talk at halftime and whatever happened (at the start of the second half) it was beautiful to watch. She is fun to watch - so coachable. When she gets in that zone her shot looks so pretty, there is no hitch in it - no thinking about it. She plays both ends of the floor. She is one of our better defenders. She is smart - stays between the player and the basket. She is physical and boxes out. But we need her scoring.
  14. We are not shooting 3PT’s great right now. McLaughlin is feeling some pressure because she is not knocking down that shot like she has been in the past. She has to relax and have fun. We have Hardin back so hopefully that will take some pressure off her.
  15. Tim: I missed one of the baskets Sunday when McLaughlin stole the ball on an inboutnds right under their basket and put it in. Coach: I missed it too. But it shows you don’t have to contribute just through your shooting. She is a great point guard, she contributes through her passing, she gets us organized. She is playing good defense chasing after players.
  16. Coach: I was a shooter too. I played the 1 or the 2. You can’t let the pressure get to you. Then you start to aim the ball and you “wish the ball in” rather than just playing. I think McLaughlin is going to have a great tournament this weekend. Once that ball starts falling then we know what will happen. But we’ve been successful without her shooting the ball really well so that has been good for us.
  17. Tim: We had a feeling Traylor would bounce back after what, for her, was a subpar game against W. Illinois. She came out with 16 points and 9 assists and really gave you a spark on both ends. Coach: She absolutely came through. She needed it - the team needed it. When she and I are connected on the floor great things happen. She really wanted to step up and she did well. This is probably one of the most complete games she has had. If she can continue that, it will be great for us.
  18. Tim: Harris had 5 blocked shots including the clincher. It is awfully nice to have someone on that back line to erase mistakes. Coach: She Keeps telling everyone “Just trust me” and I think we have stopped fouling if we are trying to prevent a 3PT and someone gets by us. Let her take them on. My favorite was when she blocked a shot, got the ball going out of bounds and threw it to her teammate behind her back. I tell our players “When she blocks a shot you guys need to go get it.”
  19. Coach: Harris is really playing well on both ends of the court and continuing to lead. I am pushing her envelope. We need her to be very good every day. And we need her energy and her excitement and her voice. And she’s been doing that.
  20. Tim: For the first time Sunday you could look down your bench and see all 15 players suited up and able to play. Coach: Yeah. This summer when we were working out and went to Australia Grant and Hardin were integral parts of those trips. Both were playing a good 20 mins apiece - really getting in the flow and playing well. Then they were sidelined for two months.
  21. Hardin is still a little ahead of Grant. Hardin has been able to go full-on for the last week. It is so nice she got in and hit her first two shots. But she also boxed out, got some rebounds and got some assists. She has such a great BB IQ. She stretches the floor for us and is a very good passer. It was like her first game all over again - like an exhibition game - but her teammates trust and believe in her.
  22. Grant - this is the first time in a year and a half putting on a uniform in Mackey with lights on and in front of a good crowd. No question she played through some jitters. But being able to have that before we go to Florida was really, really good. She has not done as much full court as Hardin but has really played well in practice. Coach told her “You did a very good job and now that part is over and you can go in and relax. You know what it is like.”
  23. Grant & Hardin will both obviously help our depth with their experience and skill set. Grant at the 4 will really help Farquhar who can also play the 3 and Hardin will rotate for Oden. All those pieces are fitting together. But when you come off an injury everyone thinks it is easy but it is not.
  24. Coach: We have one of the best trainers - Jess Witzel (sp?) - who is one of the best in the business. She is able to get these kids in great shape without pounding their legs. When they come back they will be fatigued by the “physicality” of the game but not because of lack of cardio stamina. When you are beating on each other and stressing lateral movement and boxing each other out - that is basketball shape and you will be fatigued from that. Jess got these two back so much earlier than we anticipated. We just want to be careful not to hurt them long-term but she is one of the best at it.
  25. Coach: Diagne “got hit in the head for a second” early in Sunday’s game and could not come back in. We are hoping to have her for Friday. She was okay today and we will take it one day at a time.
  26. Playing in the Gulf Coast Showcase this Fri, Sat & Sunday. Will get there late Tues evening. On Wed in AM will go to Children’s Hospital for 1-2 hrs and give back and enjoy that experience being around kids who are struggling and trying to get healthy. Then have “Thanksgiving dinner” with family or friends, then practice 5-7PM. Then go back to hotel and eat again. And obviously get ready for Drake during that time.
  27. Then on Thursday we have an activity with the team, then practice and then a banquet with all the 8 teams. Then Thanksgiving dinner (again).
  28. Then on Friday prep and pre-game meals. Drake game is at 7:30 PM. If we win we will play at 7:30 PM again on Sat. If we lose we turn around quickly and play at 1:30 PM.
  29. Tim: All of the games will be on BOB-FM with Brian Jennings broadcasting. (Tim will stay in W. Lafayette for IU-Purdue football game.)
  30. Second opponent will be either Arizona State or Maine.
  31. Tim: Drake Bulldogs are 4-1 Jennie Baranczyk is their head coach and fans will remember she was Jennie Lillis of the Iowa Hawkeyes. She was a great outside shooter and perimeter player. She has had great success with 20 or more wins in 5 straight seasons.
  32. Coach: Drake’s style of play is extremely fast. They pass the ball like a men’s team… bam-bam-bam. They have a great post player like Harris and good shooters. They will want to get up and down and take as many shots as possible and, of course, we will want to make them do “the reverse.”
  33. Post Sara Rhine (6’1” R-Sr) is averaging more than 21 pts/game. Coach: Sara has a great turn-around, fade-away over her right shoulder. She has a great drop step. She’ll step out and shoot a 3PT although that is not her “big game.” And she runs the floor exceptionally well, as does the whole team. She will be tough.
  34. As a team Drake avgs 82 pts but give up 75. They do five out. Every single kid will post you up. They are just running and kicking. You are not going to beat them if they score 80 points. Need to keep them below 70 but 60-65 would be good.
  35. Arizona State is 3-1 losing at Minnesota 66-80. Charli Turner Thorne is head coach and she has had a great run. Their best is a post player Ja’Tavia Tapley (6’3” Sr) who avgs 17 pts., 7.5 rebounds and is over 90% at foul line. Unlike Drake and Maine (“5 guards chasing them all over the place”) their team is very like ours in terms of size, style etc. They are more of a typical Power 5 team.
  36. Coach Versyp is familiar with Maine. This is their chance for mid-major to make a name for themselves. Coach is Amy Vachon who is an alumna. One of their best players is Blanca Millan (6’1” Sr) scores 21 pts/game. She is a great rebounder. They are not scoring as much this year as last.
  37. Sunday games are against any of Auburn, Dayton, Gonzaga or Middle Tennessee and will be anywhere from 11:00AM to 7:30 PM depending on how we do. It is a great tournament - we’ve been there before and done good things. Almost all the teams were in the NCAA last year. Auburn presses you the entire time. The others are all good.
  38. Nice to spend time together. Make memories. Continuing to get to know each other. Diagne and Makolo were not with team in Australia. Will be first Thanksgiving away from home for a lot of the team members.
  39. Purdue’s Approach: Have to prep this week for first game. After that, just look at next team’s tendencies and worry about what we do well. Coaches look at scouting reports but players need to concentrate on doing well what they do.
  40. Tim: Have not talked about Whilby and Woltman. Both need to contribute.
  41. Coach: Woltman played about 5 mins on Sunday. She needs to be more physical and play defense. That is where she needs to grow. She did get up and down the floor and played defense “fine.” We need her rebounds and we need to get her touches on the block. She needs to learn to avoid the dribble - she always wants to put the ball down instead of just going up with it. “We need her to progress” as she has a big body and is athletic - so much potential. She was not asked to play D in high school. She needs to show her arm’s length. We say sometimes she has “hands in her pockets.”
  42. Lots of family are coming to the tournament and we know there will be lots of alumni there too.
  43. Beat IU on Saturday!
Thanks for this!! It's SO hard to get any news any more!

Reactions: Bigohh and DocRon
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT