ADVERTISEMENT

Most disappointing Purdue team I can remember....

*4purdue*

All-American
May 6, 2008
this team should have been a B1G contender yet they are out of the race with 5 games to go and probably looking at a 5-7 seed at best.

Reactions: Boilerboy46923
the smith allison team was more disappointing as it started out great then only made the nit

Reactions: Chet Jr.
You can't win championships without a PG. People want to point to a stat like assist to turnover ratio, but holding the ball and forcing your team to shoot 20 threes that they brick is the same as turning the ball over 20 times, it just doesn't get recorded that way. There's a lot of low basketball IQ fans left here since the Sunshine boys have driven away everyone who isn't a a koolaid drinker or maybe sees the game for what it is.

this team should have been a B1G contender yet they are out of the race with 5 games to go and probably looking at a 5-7 seed at best.

Hard to disagree. But this can't be surprising at this point, right? Unless you have a really good team (we don't), you are not winning much on the road in the B1G. I think 5-7 is spot on. Where the media and most had us pegged at the beginning of the season and we cried "we're better than that!". Well, we were wrong.

Name a game when anyone can defend Matt Painter. If it wasn't for Davis and Hammons on Tuesday night they got ran out of the gym. He gets out coached every single game and it just hurts. Why on earth was Biggie guarding Irvin and why did Painter not use the last time out when they needed a bucket?

He's been average, but we've given away to many games this year to call him that. We were lucky to win the MSU game or the season would have totally unraveled. I don't see us winning at IU next week. I think this team is much better than IU, but just not mentally tough.
IU doesn't defend the post at all. I see a Pu win

He's solid right up to crunch time and then he craps the bed....time and time again. To not call a TO at the end is unforgivable.
We've come unglued the last 20 min. pain most games this year, not just at the end. Think back tot the Pitt game, we gave up a big lead that game also and Cline bailed us out with some late 3's. MSU, same story. If we'd have lost those games, we'd be squarely on the bubble right now.

Point guard, turnovers, AJ lack of consistent focus, lack of consistent outside shooting, et al have contributed to this underwhelming season. IMHO more importantly lack of intensity and coming ready to play game in and game out are what has cost this team the chance at a great season.

He's solid right up to crunch time and then he craps the bed....time and time again. To not call a TO at the end is unforgivable.

trying to reply and soak that in without a knee-jerk reaction but i do think agree to an extent:

CMP seems to get the 'deer in the headlights' syndrome close & tight (end of halves, close games late).
Just doesn't seem to breed confidence and/or killer instinct.

Who knows tho, whatever seed we'll be could still see this team making a deep run. *maybe

Reactions: cjf04
its hard to be elite with average guard play. the pj/hill combo is average at best (probably in the lower third of the B1G) and RayDay often performs below average on the offensive end (I still love him though).

Name a game when anyone can defend Matt Painter. If it wasn't for Davis and Hammons on Tuesday night they got ran out of the gym. He gets out coached every single game and it just hurts. Why on earth was Biggie guarding Irvin and why did Painter not use the last time out when they needed a bucket?
I agree. I thought this would have been a perfect game for Stephens to play more, he's long enough to guard Irvin, but doesn't get off the bench.

The bad coaching/execution started before the last meaningful possession. Michigan has a stretch where they couldn't hit anything and we made sure they weren't the only ones. Have to close that out, especially when the other team is bad and they keep missing bad shots. Just horrible 2nd half (when has that happened before?)

Not sure this is the most disappointing ever, but it's definitely the most inconsistent.
Not sure about the Stephens situation, we sure could use him if his head is on right.

Reactions: cprh9u
Painter has kids scared to death. Nobody wants to shoot. He tears into hammons wish an would've just knocked him out. During that time Isaac could barely get up and down the court. Barely any min for Dakota. This program will always be like this as long as Matt roams around. Highly disappointing today.

Reactions: cprh9u
Not sure this is the most disappointing ever, but it's definitely the most inconsistent.
Not sure about the Stephens situation, we sure could use him if his head is on right.
The only other team that I can think of that is even close to this is the Chris Booker that beat Duke early in the season. But even that team had an excuse when we lost him. This team has no issues, just plays soft.

Dude.... I'm as big of Purdue fan as any, but your high if you think that's going to happen. We will be lucky if they don't beat us by that much.
Don't be fooled by the record of IU, they have only beat one team that was ranked, they only have 2 wins vs. top 50, and only 3 wins vs. top 100. They are awful defensivly, Bryant is way overrated as their short center (6'10"). They are also a turn-over machine ranking as the worst team in the nation turning the ball over, it is unbelievable how much they turn it over, they are terrible protecting the ball. They don't have their best shooter due to season-ending injury (James Blackmon Jr.). They are toast vs. Purdue, like I said, put it in the books.. I'll eat TONS of crow in here if IU beats us. It just won't happen.

Painter only made 4 mistakes in the Michigan game (2 of which were substitution errors), but the one tactical blunder happened to be at the end of the game where you don't go for the tie (inexplicable)--- 2nd to last possession, just atrocious. He won't make these mistakes in Bloomington. Hey, by the way, why in the heck doesn't IU have to play at our house? That is total BS.

Don't be fooled by the record of IU, they have only beat one team that was ranked, they only have 2 wins vs. top 50, and only 3 wins vs. top 100. They are awful defensivly, Bryant is way overrated as their short center (6'10"). They are also a turn-over machine ranking as the worst team in the nation turning the ball over, it is unbelievable how much they turn it over, they are terrible protecting the ball. They don't have their best shooter due to season-ending injury (James Blackmon Jr.). They are toast vs. Purdue, like I said, put it in the books.. I'll eat TONS of crow in here if IU beats us. It just won't happen.
Okay, I know your a troll and IU fan, but you will not be found anywhere but curled up in a corner of your parents basement if Purdue beats you.

Who has Purdue beaten besides msu

They beat Michigan by 30.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT