ADVERTISEMENT

Most disappointing Purdue team I can remember....

87/88 team won the B1G. Though the tourney was a disappointment, they lived up to season expectations
lol. So would you be more upset if your team disappointed in the B1G season or the Dance........especially when the the B1G title was a pretty good bet and we had FF talent.

Last edited:
Vince Edwards is a playmaker (the best one on this team, IMO) but he hasn't been making shots the last few games. He can shoot his way out of it and it will help down the road if he continues to get quicker while also embracing and getting stronger at finishing through contact.
Vince is the best playmaker on the team, that doesn't mean he is a good one. Maybe when he's a senior but certainly not now.
A playmaker would help when the clock is winding down.......would be a huge help when we hit our dead spots offensively. He could drive and kick out, like what so many teams do against us.
It is the major flaw in this team. Just the way it is.

So the coaches are the ones running the plays right? Don't comment on things that you have zero clue about.
There the ones calling them and putting the players who they think will win on the floor
Vince is the best playmaker on the team, that doesn't mean he is a good one. Maybe when he's a senior but certainly not now.
A playmaker would help when the clock is winding down.......would be a huge help when we hit our dead spots offensively. He could drive and kick out, like what so many teams do against us.
It is the major flaw in this team. Just the way it is.
Vince is a playmaker. I think Swanigan is sitting a little more recently to open the lane for Vince and get him out of his slump. If we make a deep run in March it will because Vince gets going

He's not worth 2+ million that we are paying him. He better enjoy that contract, hopefully the next AD is smarter than that.
Do you realize his salary is about average in the BIG? Not sure why this is an issue, especially if he is about average in the BIG with his record. This year we are an upper half BIG team, so I figure he is earning about what we are paying him.

This loss had nothing to do with a PG, Purdue's best players didn't play well and no one else stepped up. AJ had an off game and Vince was almost invisible.

Wasn't Vince 1 for 9? AJ and Haas missed a couple of close shots. We did take a couple of ill-advised shots (one was when RayDay took a 3 pointer when AJ was still coming down the floor). Of course Matt didn't miss any shots, but the way the above people talk about the game, he alone was responsible for the loss. As a bball coach of over 15 years, the losses really stick in your claw, and you replay the game and knock yourself in the head at times. Learn from your mistakes and move on!

lol. So would you be more upset if your team disappointed in the B1G season or the Dance........especially when the the B1G title was a pretty good bet and we had FF talent.
The 88 teams performance in the tourney was very disappointing & yes, I'd rather win the tournament than the B1G. My point is, this team has underachieved IMO. There is much more talent on this team than a 5th or 6th place team. For Greg Guard to come in mid season and have a better record than us with a team that has 1/2 the talent is underachieving. The only thing CMP has won in 10 years is a B1G tourney. We've only been to the S16 2 or 3 times under him. So I'm not expecting this group to do any better with the way this season has gone. If you think this has been a good year, then we will have to agree to disagree.

Wasn't Vince 1 for 9? AJ and Haas missed a couple of close shots. We did take a couple of ill-advised shots (one was when RayDay took a 3 pointer when AJ was still coming down the floor). Of course Matt didn't miss any shots, but the way the above people talk about the game, he alone was responsible for the loss. As a bball coach of over 15 years, the losses really stick in your claw, and you replay the game and knock yourself in the head at times. Learn from your mistakes and move on!
If CMP would learn from his mistakes then I could live with that. Repeating the same mistake game after game is not learning. I wish someone would add up the total points of the leads we have blown this year.... Has to be close to a record.

If CMP would learn from his mistakes then I could live with that. Repeating the same mistake game after game is not learning. I wish someone would add up the total points of the leads we have blown this year.... Has to be close to a record.
And just what is your pea brain basing what CMP learns and doesn't learn off of? You're meager expert opinion based off of what you watch in your mom's basement on the tv? Like I told you before you clueless no-nut wonder, just shut up. You're nothing but a flaming embarrassment and aren't a Purdue fan. That is the only fact pertaining to you.

The 88 teams performance in the tourney was very disappointing & yes, I'd rather win the tournament than the B1G. My point is, this team has underachieved IMO. There is much more talent on this team than a 5th or 6th place team. For Greg Guard to come in mid season and have a better record than us with a team that has 1/2 the talent is underachieving. The only thing CMP has won in 10 years is a B1G tourney. We've only been to the S16 2 or 3 times under him. So I'm not expecting this group to do any better with the way this season has gone. If you think this has been a good year, then we will have to agree to disagree.

To be accurate, CMP has 2 sweet 16's and a co-B1G championship as well in 10 years. Will very likely be the same stats in 11 years in about 5 weeks. How are so many satisfied with 1 co-championship and 2 sweet 16's in 11 years?!? I know I'm not.

Reactions: *4purdue*
To be accurate, CMP has 2 sweet 16's and a co-B1G championship as well in 10 years. Will very likely be the same stats in 11 years in about 5 weeks. How are so many satisfied with 1 co-championship and 2 sweet 16's in 11 years?!? I know I'm not.
Well we probably won't win the B1G but if we start playing like we did at the start of the season again we could go deep in the NCAAs

Reactions: mathboy
There the ones calling them and putting the players who they think will win on the floor

Vince is a playmaker. I think Swanigan is sitting a little more recently to open the lane for Vince and get him out of his slump. If we make a deep run in March it will because Vince gets going
Apparently we have different views of a playmaker. This is a player who can create his own shot or can penetrate anytime and create for a teammate. Yogi, Melo, Valentine, those are playmakers. E'Twaun was too. Vince is not that yet. If he was, he would have the ball in his hands at crunch time.

Love the replaying of the game. Sometimes that ball consumes you. ;)

Reactions: mathboy
Well we probably won't win the B1G but if we start playing like we did at the start of the season again we could go deep in the NCAAs

Only if we play really average teams the whole way, like we did early on. I can't stand Izzo and MSU but it's brilliant how they play really good teams early on... seems to always help them get tougher, improve SOS, and sometimes get a marquee win. If Painter thinks we are ready to be a contender, the non-conference schedule would be a good place to start.

Reactions: BoilerFan#35

CMP is more responsible than anyone else by a long shot. He had some poor moments as others have called out yesterday. More than anything, the program has his hand picked assistants, his hand picked players and they run his hand picked plays. Every game, W or L is on CMP, just as it is on the Head Coach at every program.

Only if we play really average teams the whole way, like we did early on. I can't stand Izzo and MSU but it's brilliant how they play really good teams early on... seems to always help them get tougher, improve SOS, and sometimes get a marquee win. If Painter thinks we are ready to be a contender, the non-conference schedule would be a good place to start.
I'm surprised how Pitt, Florida and Vanderbilt turned out to be just average teams in their conferences

Reactions: RegionWarrior101
I can recall the 1978 team with four year starters Jordan,Walls,and Parker,plus Junior Jerry Sichting and Soph Joe Barry Carroll that finished only 11 and 7 in the Big Ten.This team isn't that talented or experienced ,but they are puzzling and disappointing.
In my 45 years of following Purdue basketball there is no doubt the 1978 team is the most disappointing. The 1988 team's loss in the tournament is the most disappointing single game, but that '78 team really crapped the bed. Coach Schaus let many big leads evaporate without calling timeouts to stop the bleeding.

CMP is more responsible than anyone else by a long shot. He had some poor moments as others have called out yesterday. More than anything, the program has his hand picked assistants, his hand picked players and they run his hand picked plays. Every game, W or L is on CMP, just as it is on the Head Coach at every program.
Reason number 5 million as to you why you are not qualified to judge coaches and try and pass off as being some expert. The players have to execute the plays and that is on them doofuss.

Reason number 5 million as to you why you are not qualified to judge coaches and try and pass off as being some expert. The players have to execute the plays and that is on them doofuss.

Yep, when players don't execute year in and year out, that is definitely on all of those different players, not on the Head Coach. Good post magi.

So in thr first Iowa game when you watched a PJ dribble down into a sideline trap multiple times and CMP kept him out there until momentum switched and used up our timeouts....You don't blame that on CMP? Or in the MSU game when he continues to keep Biggie in the game when he plays slower then his opponent...you don't blame CMP?

CMP is avg to a little above but thats his peek. I think people are just frustrated at avg but should be use to it...this is Purdue!

CMP is avg to a little above but thats his peek. I think people are just frustrated at avg but should be use to it...this is Purdue!

Right, but still so frustrating. Purdue University Athletic Department, making average "cool" since 1869.

Yep, when players don't execute year in and year out, that is definitely on all of those different players, not on the Head Coach. Good post magi.
By who's standards yours? Yeah you have zero credibility to judge a coach and their abilities. That is the only fact when it comes to you.

By who's standards yours? Yeah you have zero credibility to judge a coach and their abilities. That is the only fact when it comes to you.
Really he has no credibility? What makes you credible to tell every fan on this board that they are not credible to judge Painter?

Looking back, who did we beat at the beginning of the season? Pitt, Florida, Vandy are bubble teams and we lost to Butler who may not make the tournament. That start was fools gold.

My most disappointing season was 2010-2011 when Hummel got hurt. Expectations were so high and we won 26 games and finished 2nd. With Hummel an Elite 8 Big Ten Title team. The flip side is that had Hummel not been on the team in 2011-2012 they would have been sub .500 or NIT.

Really he has no credibility? What makes you credible to tell every fan on this board that they are not credible to judge Painter?
Because so far all you no-nut negatrons have been proven wrong. That and I am not the one judging Painter based off of some emitional notion you have derived from playing too many video games. And one other thing is for certain, whatever credibility you think I do or don't have, I still have far more than you or any of the other dweebs that are emotionally ranting.

Reactions: BOILERBOY
My most disappointing season was 2010-2011 when Hummel got hurt. Expectations were so high and we won 26 games and finished 2nd. With Hummel an Elite 8 Big Ten Title team. The flip side is that had Hummel not been on the team in 2011-2012 they would have been sub .500 or NIT.
That wasn't disappointing as much as it was unlucky. That team was doing what it was suppose to. The fact that he got hurt was a valid excuse.

Reactions: LSLBoiler
That wasn't disappointing as much as it was unlucky. That team was doing what it was suppose to. The fact that he got hurt was a valid excuse.
That was a great team! I really liked how they played. Of course they slipped up on few games early in the year, but they got it going by the end of the BIG season. Man oh man, wish we had that coach! He really knew what he was doing.

:cool:

I can’t fault anyone who wants to dwell on the frustrating loses, but I wouldn’t let them totally eclipse the good the team has done. The win over MSU is one to be proud of no matter how it was achieved.

Purdue has 3 victories over RPI top 50 teams away from home (per CBS). Xavier is the only team in the AP top 25 with more. Like Purdue 8 other teams have 3 top 50 wins away from home. That means 15 of the 25 teams have 2 or fewer. Purdue has suffered 2 losses outside the RPI top 50...8 other teams in the AP top 25 have suffered 2 (or more) losses outside the RPI top 50.

Purdue ranks near the bottom of the top 25 in terms of offensive efficiency, but they are still near the top in defensive efficiency. If looking at sports-reference raw efficiency numbers, only Villanova & Louisville rank better than Purdue in both offensive & defensive efficiency. Look at KenPom’s adjusted efficiency numbers & you only add West Virginia to that group.

Sure, this Purdue team has some warts & it’s not far-fetched to see them losing in the second round of the tourney. At the same time, Purdue has the ability to go toe to toe with anyone this year. I don't know if it's going to be fun or frustrating, but this post season is at least shaping up to be exciting.

The two biggest things that are killing us this season are the inconsistent play of Davis and Stephens. Davis scores 24 against MSU and follows it up with 4 points in 34 minutes at Michigan. That cannot happen. We need 15 from him every game if we are going to win. Stephens shoots way too much and too early in the shot clock. We don't need 3 pointers from 5 feet behind the line, 6 seconds into the shot clock. He is 37-116 at 3's this season. Drive or pass once in awhile. Plus he is listed at 6'-7" and only gets 1.3 rebounds per game?? He should get more than that following his own poor shots. PJ is 5'-10" and gets 2.2 RPG. That is lack of hustle by Stephens.

Reactions: BOILERBOY
I counted at least 10 idiots on this thread alone blaming Matt for not playing Mathias more when little did they know he had been puking for 5 straight days!!!
Because so far all you no-nut negatrons have been proven wrong. That and I am not the one judging Painter based off of some emitional notion you have derived from playing too many video games. And one other thing is for certain, whatever credibility you think I do or don't have, I still have far more than you or any of the other dweebs that are emotionally ranting.
--------
Your not going to win against playstation coaches -- especially after a loss when they all come out of the woodwork

The two biggest things that are killing us this season are the inconsistent play of Davis and Stephens. Davis scores 24 against MSU and follows it up with 4 points in 34 minutes at Michigan. That cannot happen. We need 15 from him every game if we are going to win. Stephens shoots way too much and too early in the shot clock. We don't need 3 pointers from 5 feet behind the line, 6 seconds into the shot clock. He is 37-116 at 3's this season. Drive or pass once in awhile. Plus he is listed at 6'-7" and only gets 1.3 rebounds per game?? He should get more than that following his own poor shots. PJ is 5'-10" and gets 2.2 RPG. That is lack of hustle by Stephens.
How can you say Stephens when he has played like 2 min. total in the last 6 games & we are 3-3 in those games?

How can you say Stephens when he has played like 2 min. total in the last 6 games & we are 3-3 in those games?

My point was he has done nothing all season. Also averaging 1.0 assist per game. The only player on the team with worse three point percentage is Swanigan - Look it up. I used to like him, but he has been a huge detriment this season. I now cringe when he comes in because the inside game is over and we are going to bomb 3's way to deep, way too early

My point was he has done nothing all season. Also averaging 1.0 assist per game. The only player on the team with worse three point percentage is Swanigan - Look it up. I used to like him, but he has been a huge detriment this season. I now cringe when he comes in because the inside game is over and we are going to bomb 3's way to deep, way too early
He's only averaging about 5 min. per game. How much do you expect him to do when he's not in long enough to get into the flow.

He is averaging 15.2 minutes per game. When the guy is on - look out. We just have not seen that all season. His shot selection and lack of passing / rebounding does not help us.
I wish he would start lighting up, but until that happens, I think the green light to shoot has to be taken away.

He is averaging 15.2 minutes per game. When the guy is on - look out. We just have not seen that all season. His shot selection and lack of passing / rebounding does not help us.
I wish he would start lighting up, but until that happens, I think the green light to shoot has to be taken away.
Most of those minutes were in non conference games when we were 12-1. In B1G play he's averaging much less & we are 8-5... He's not the problem.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT