ADVERTISEMENT

Minny's win tonight all but guarantee's IU the B10 title

Not if we win Saturday!

You might be right, but congrats to Minny anyway. They reminds me of Purdue's 2005-6 team - worked hard, got better as the year progressed, but just didn't have the horses to compete every night in the B1G.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
If anything. This weeks upsets has given our squad more incentive.

We have a legit shot at wrapping up at least 3rd place if we take care of business. Five losses is about to get very crowded.

How do you figure that? We are tied with Iowa, but still have to play at Iowa. That will be a loss.
IU has the easiest schedule remaining. You destroyed Iowa at Assembly, Crean has figured it all out how to beat them, Fran is a joke....The B10 smiled on IU with it's easy schedule this year. Next year....not so much.

Play at Iowa? For a third regular season game...?

He was talking about IU.

I think the conference is IU's for the taking, but I'm not ready to just hand it to them. They still have to play Purdue and Maryland at home and Iowa on the road. They could very well lose 2 of those 3.

Let's hope it starts with a Boiler victory on Saturday.

Even when they collapse in the tourney the Clapper will get an extension from Fred after winning the B1G.

It's now the Hoosier's to screw up and lose. Congrats to the Gophers for a great win by an 0-13 team.

Can Two Tone Tommy snatch defeat from the mouth of a gift horse?
They have AT LEAST 2 more losses coming and that's being super generous. There's a good chance they drop 3 more and an outside chance they totally crash and burn and lose 4. Way too early to be crying.

This will all become much clearer tomorrow night. If IU wins (they will be the home favorite) no one in their right mind can argue we still have a chance for the title with 6 losses min. If we win its at least a glimmer of hope for the optimists.

The tan clapping laughingstock getting an extension sounds pretty good. They have generally underperformed with him as coach. Not saying I *want* IU to win conference, but that would be a satisfying side effect.

Reactions: gr8indoorsman
How do you figure that? We are tied with Iowa, but still have to play at Iowa. That will be a loss.
Agree. IU is not winning at Iowa and still has a top-3 matchup with MD (even if it's a home game). Any discussion of us winning the B1G with those games left assumes they can first get by Purdue tomorrow. Lose to Purdue, and that hope is virtually eliminated.

The tan clapping laughingstock getting an extension sounds pretty good. They have generally underperformed with him as coach. Not saying I *want* IU to win conference, but that would be a satisfying side effect.
I mean, they'd have to double down on Crean at that point, right? How awesome would that be!?

I don't like Crean as a human being. I find him petty, egotistical and hypocritical. I think he is disingenuous and cloying. All that aside, his team is playing well this year [so far]. My bet is that he has turned over some of the game planning and bench management to a knowledgeable assistant, and that is why the team is doing better this year. Knowing Crean's sad personality type, we will never know if this is the case because he will never give any credit to those who support him, because he would feel it would diminish himself.

:cool:

IU has the easiest schedule remaining. You destroyed Iowa at Assembly, Crean has figured it all out how to beat them, Fran is a joke....The B10 smiled on IU with it's easy schedule this year. Next year....not so much.

Easiest schedule remaining? If I recall Purdue is 0-4 vs that remaining schedule. Interesting stuff. Btw, good luck all on Saturday. Should be a fun game.

I don't like Crean as a human being. I find him petty, egotistical and hypocritical. I think he is disingenuous and cloying. All that aside, his team is playing well this year [so far]. My bet is that he has turned over some of the game planning and bench management to a knowledgeable assistant, and that is why the team is doing better this year. Knowing Crean's sad personality type, we will never know if this is the case because he will never give any credit to those who support him, because he would feel it would diminish himself.

I respect your opinion and I am undecided on Coach Crean. That said, do you have any anecdotal (or other) evidence to support anything you suggested above?

Specifically, what has he done that is, or might indicate traits of (and I will let you fill them in individually since you named them):

petty:
egotistical:
hypocritical:
disingenuous:
cloying:
a sad personality:

Thanks...as I would like to have all of these as ammo against my pro-CTC friends that I argue with constantly.

Thanks!

So let me see if I'm following this thread. Purdue fans would have reason to celebrate if IU wins the B1G because that would mean Crean gets an extension? So you would rejoice if the very coach who lead IU to two B1G titles in 4 years was retained at IU? Odd, I thought you fellas liked it better when IU wasn't winning titles.

So let me see if I'm following this thread. Purdue fans would have reason to celebrate if IU wins the B1G because that would mean Crean gets an extension? So you would rejoice if the very coach who lead IU to two B1G titles in 4 years was retained at IU? Odd, I thought you fellas liked it better when IU wasn't winning titles.
Well let's be clear, its just the regular season title. I mean i know you guys have cut down the nets for less, but overall Crean is still a tool.

I respect your opinion and I am undecided on Coach Crean. That said, do you have any anecdotal (or other) evidence to support anything you suggested above?

Specifically, what has he done that is, or might indicate traits of (and I will let you fill them in individually since you named them):

I make no secret that I dislike Tom Crean. I think he is a poor representative for IU. I am not an IU hater, and never have been.

petty: I would put the tantrum/confrontation at UM in this category. It was embarrassing at best, and created long term hard feeling at worst. How about running at opponents on the floor, or talking at them during play (mostly during the bad years)?
egotistical: Crean threatening the OSU guard (Aaron Craft) with voting against his all-BIG status if he didn't give Crean sufficient respect.
hypocritical & disingenuous: Got to combine these. Here I put the generally poor treatment of players who signed on to scholarships and then were let go (Creaned). Matt Roth followed this guy from Marquette, and was his first IU recruit, IIRC. Matt wanted one more year at IU, with the good team, since he had suffered through the worst. Crean did not bother calling or talking to him through the summer. After the last scholly got filled, Matt understood he didn't have a place. Not the kind of actions you would expect from someone who professes to have the kids' best interests at heart, and is a Christian leader (?)
cloying: Here is the definition: disgust or sicken (someone) with an excess of sweetness, richness, or sentiment. This is just a personal opinion, but when I listen to him speak, or hear about things he has said, this definition jumps right to mind. Also - mouth kisses to adult kid.
a sad personality: A summery of all of the above. Many of my contacts in Indiana (state of) high school basketball have no use for the man, and make no secret of it either. As long as he is at IU, the school may wonder why they have only lukewarm success recruiting the state.

You will find that there are some posters on Peegs that will tell you these things never happened. That's okay if they want to be in denial. IMHO, all you can do is to point out why you feel a certain way, and feel no obligation to correct fools.

I take nothing away from the success of IU's basketball team this year. Those kids have fought and scratched for every victory. They are skilled and work hard. They have benefitted from an easier schedule in the BIG, but that same easy schedule helped Purdue last year. I think basketball is very much a mental and emotional game, so winning helps make more wins. I look forward to a great game Saturday.

Last edited:
I make no secret that I dislike Tom Crean. I think he is a poor representative for IU. I am not an IU hater, and never have been.

petty: I would put the tantrum/confrontation at UM in this category. It was embarrassing at best, and created long term hard feeling at worst. How about running at opponents on the floor, or talking at them during play (mostly during the bad years)?
egotistical: Crean threatening the OSU guard (Aaron Craft) with voting against his all-BIG status if he didn't give Crean sufficient respect.
hypocritical & disingenuous: Got to combine these. Here I put the generally poor treatment of players who signed on to scholarships and then were let go (Creaned). Matt Roth followed this guy from Marquette, and was his first IU recruit, IIRC. Matt wanted one more year at IU, with the good team, since he had suffered through the worst. Crean did not bother calling or talking to him through the summer. After the last scholly got filled, Matt understood he didn't have a place. Not the kind of actions you would expect from someone who professes to have the kids' best interests at heart, and is a Christian leader (?)
cloying: Here is the definition: disgust or sicken (someone) with an excess of sweetness, richness, or sentiment. This is just a personal opinion, but when I listen to him speak, or hear about things he has said, this definition jumps right to mind. Also - mouth kisses to adult kid.
a sad personality: A summery of all of the above. Many of my contacts in Indiana (state of) high school basketball have no use for the man, and make no secret of it either. As long as he is at IU, the school may wonder why they have only lukewarm success recruiting the state.

You will find that there are some posters on Peegs that will tell you these things never happened. That's okay if they want to be in denial. IMHO, all you can do is to point out why you feel a certain way, and feel no obligation to correct fools.

I take nothing away from the success of IU's basketball team this year. Those kids have fought and scratched for every victory. They are skilled and work hard. They have benefitted from an easier schedule in the BIG, but that same easy schedule helped Purdue last year. I think basketball is very much a mental and emotional game, so winning helps make more wins. I look forward to a great game Saturday.

Wow...that must have taken some time to craft that voluminous response.

At any rate, I don't think "cloying" is a verb as you have defined it. Nonetheless, and I understand if you don't have time given how much of it you must have spent on your last response, if you get a chance, can you cite one of the things that Coach Crean has said that you might characterize as "cloying?" I just want to make sure I understand the definition. It's no big deal if not.

Your inside information is impressive...especially your omniscience with regard to what Matt Roth did or did not understand.

In closing, check your spelling on "summery."

At any rate, I don't think "cloying" is a verb as you have defined it. Nonetheless, and I understand if you don't have time given how much of it you must have spent on your last response, if you get a chance, can you cite one of the things that Coach Crean has said that you might characterize as "cloying?" I just want to make sure I understand the definition. It's no big deal if not.

Your inside information is impressive...especially your omniscience with regard to what Matt Roth did or did not understand.

Webster's:
Full Definition of cloying

1. : disgusting or distasteful by reason of excess <cloying sweetness>; also : excessively sweet or sentimental <a cloying romantic comedy>

...But thanks anyway for the English lesson.

Reactions: BBG and PurdueGator

Here you go:

http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/2012/08/roth-moving-on/

Crean is obviously too much of a pussy to man up and tell Roth face to face that he had given his scholarship to someone else. That is one huge difference between him and Painter. Roth may have "understood", but only because he put "one and one together", not because his coach had a pair and communicated that to him.

Reactions: PurdueGator

Math, you use the term "disingenuous" when speaking of Crean. That would describe his constant tossing of players under the bus when everyone knows it was his coaching that lost a game. I'm including the quotes in an attempt to enlighten those IU fans who defend him so they might understand a bit better. And you are correct when you point out the ill will and feelings of contempt towards Crean by the Indiana High School coaches. Having coached in this state, albeit in a different sport, for many years, I've had many conversations about the current state of basketball both at Purdue and IU. Those coaches all value Painter's approach and humility over Crean's "I'm superior to everyone".

disingenuous
[dis-in-jen-yoo-uh s]
adjective
1. lacking in frankness, candor, or sincerity; falsely or hypocriticallyingenuous; insincere:
His excuse was rather disingenuous.

You also forgot the one word that totally describes the Clapper:

narcissistic
[nahr-suh-sis-tik]
adjective
1.having an undue fascination with oneself; vain.
2.Psychoanalysis. tending to derive erotic gratification from admiration of one's own physical or mental attributes.

Actually coach Crean is very nice human being and players love him. Not to mention his coaching skill
Just see what he has done with this team!!

Trash talk is cheap!

He is no Matt Painter, that's for sure. Matt's morals and loyalty is something we should all strive for.

His victory lap after beating Illinois in 2011 is easily the most egotistical act I've ever seen from a college coach.

Easiest schedule remaining? If I recall Purdue is 0-4 vs that remaining schedule. Interesting stuff. Btw, good luck all on Saturday. Should be a fun game.
????? 0-4 against your remaining four on the schedule? first Purdue hasn't played IU or itself which would be one of the 4 it would be your final 3 not 4. If you're counting the game ahead of the Purdue game you're wrong Purdue beat Nebraska

????? 0-4 against your remaining four on the schedule? first Purdue hasn't played IU or itself which would be one of the 4 it would be your final 3 not 4. If you're counting the game ahead of the Purdue game you're wrong Purdue beat Nebraska

After pu.. IU has @IL, MD & @Iowa... Pu is 0-4 vs those teams.

The title of this is just hilarious. I mean, are you kidding a bit here. IU is going to get beat by Purdue, on the road in Illinois (no brainer), and lost to Maryland at home and Iowa on the road. This is a given, remember, this is a Tom Crean coached team, he has NO sense of adjustments and Painter (as sketchy as he is at coaching sometimes to my ire) is 800% better than Tom Crean and there is no doubt about it. They will have no answer for our bigs,,,, lock that one in and bank it because I am correct on this. I will come back and eat TONS of crow if I'm wrong, but you have to promise me that you will give me CREDIT WHERE CREDIT IS DUE when I am right about this. We will win by 23 points............BANK IT

Decked in my gear, IU fans snarling at me already. Can't believe how crowded it is out here outside assembly hall. looks like they are doing some work on this place. how about purdue does some irreparable damage to this place tonight, lmao, these fans are such a joke and their ribbing me isn't going to help them tonight when Hammons abuses them like he always does (look it up). anyway, i can't wait to shove this win down their throat on my way out of here. Traffic was a b_t_h getting in here. Ugh, :(

I find it funny to read posts from Purdue fans trying to downplay the accomplishment of winning a Big10 regular season championship like its something just handed out and not earned over an 18 game schedule. On Crean there are many IU fans like myself that are not sold on him and if you wanna talk crap about his post season success, you wont get any argument from me. But to act like 2 titles in 4 years isn't an accomplishment when you've managed 1 3 way tie in 20 years is laughable. For the record, I still think Iowa is gonna take it. 2nd laughable comment in this post was when someone said IU has the "easiest schedule remaining" when they play 3 ranked teams in 4 games including yourselves and 2 top 10 teams. I think IU wins 2 of the last 3 and finishes 1 game behind Iowa.

I find it funny to read posts from Purdue fans trying to downplay the accomplishment of winning a Big10 regular season championship like its something just handed out and not earned over an 18 game schedule. On Crean there are many IU fans like myself that are not sold on him and if you wanna talk crap about his post season success, you wont get any argument from me. But to act like 2 titles in 4 years isn't an accomplishment when you've managed 1 3 way tie in 20 years is laughable. For the record, I still think Iowa is gonna take it. 2nd laughable comment in this post was when someone said IU has the "easiest schedule remaining" when they play 3 ranked teams in 4 games including yourselves and 2 top 10 teams. I think IU wins 2 of the last 3 and finishes 1 game behind Iowa.
Robert Johnson went down with an injury (season ending in all likelihood). IU is toast. They will lost to Illinois on Thursday and lose their remaining two games vs. Iowa and Maryland......Karma just bit IU in the butt because of how they cheated down the stretch with those homer calls. Unbelievable.

The title of this is just hilarious. I mean, are you kidding a bit here. IU is going to get beat by Purdue, on the road in Illinois (no brainer), and lost to Maryland at home and Iowa on the road. This is a given, remember, this is a Tom Crean coached team, he has NO sense of adjustments and Painter (as sketchy as he is at coaching sometimes to my ire) is 800% better than Tom Crean and there is no doubt about it. They will have no answer for our bigs,,,, lock that one in and bank it because I am correct on this. I will come back and eat TONS of crow if I'm wrong, but you have to promise me that you will give me CREDIT WHERE CREDIT IS DUE when I am right about this. We will win by 23 points............BANK IT

Decked in my gear, IU fans snarling at me already. Can't believe how crowded it is out here outside assembly hall. looks like they are doing some work on this place. how about purdue does some irreparable damage to this place tonight, lmao, these fans are such a joke and their ribbing me isn't going to help them tonight when Hammons abuses them like he always does (look it up). anyway, i can't wait to shove this win down their throat on my way out of here. Traffic was a b_t_h getting in here. Ugh, :(

eating-crow.jpg

Enjoy~

The bank called....it wants its money back.

Reactions: deajoe
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT