ADVERTISEMENT

Minnesota QB Situation

arcb102000

All-American
Aug 27, 2006
I just saw that the Minnesota starting QB will be a walk-on freshman. Further there is only one back-up QB on the roster.

That suggests strongly to me that Purdue should be a favorite when they play them. If one of them is injured (I hope not the case) then they will be in real trouble.

Last edited:
I didn’t know their QB situation before I saw what you posted. However, I would have assumed that we would have been the favorite even without this.

Reactions: pboiler18
It seems that unless they land a really good JuCo, they are in for a really long drought. It will take about 2 years before any decent QB can become consistently productive at that position at the college level.

I suspect they are looking 3 maybe 4 wins this year.

In a battle of style vs substance, I’ll take substance every time. Glad we have a coach that can recruit QBs. And by recruit QBs I mean at least have some on the team.

I have to wonder how long it will be before he jumps ship for a bigger or different offer? Starting a walk-on freshman QB is not going to win many games. and the future is not looking bright. Turning a 9-4 team into 5-7 doesn't speak much for his resume. if he tacks on another two losing seasons, his future offers will dry up quickly, and his past accomplishments will be considered an aberration and credited to his players , not him. if he doesn't start out of the gate fast with games against new Mexico St, Fresno St and Miami of Ohio, his ship is sunk.

I have to wonder how long it will be before he jumps ship for a bigger or different offer? Starting a walk-on freshman QB is not going to win many games. and the future is not looking bright. Turning a 9-4 team into 5-7 doesn't speak much for his resume. if he tacks on another two losing seasons, his future offers will dry up quickly, and his past accomplishments will be considered an aberration and credited to his players , not him. if he doesn't start out of the gate fast with games against new Mexico St, Fresno St and Miami of Ohio, his ship is sunk.

Or maybe The Oarsman is Hazell 2.0?

Reactions: SDBoiler1
I wouldnt write them off yet. They had a putrid passing game last year, I dont think you can assume they can get much worse! Don't forget Baker Mayfield was a walk-on when he came to campus and played well right away. Their backup is a redshirt freshman that was a decent 3 star recruit. The "walk-on" was a 3 star recruit and top 50 pro style QB who had offers from Illinois and Pittsburgh. His brother is on Minny and his dad was a star there and had an NFL career, maybe that is why he wanted to play there? Played at IMG in Florida, could have not needed the $ and saw an opportunity for playing time. Was also an early enrollee.

Reactions: Frankie611
I wouldnt write them off yet. They had a putrid passing game last year, I dont think you can assume they can get much worse! Don't forget Baker Mayfield was a walk-on when he came to campus and played well right away. Their backup is a redshirt freshman that was a decent 3 star recruit. The "walk-on" was a 3 star recruit and top 50 pro style QB who had offers from Illinois and Pittsburgh. His brother is on Minny and his dad was a star there and had an NFL career, maybe that is why he wanted to play there? Played at IMG in Florida, could have not needed the $ and saw an opportunity for playing time. Was also an early enrollee.

I'm writing them off. They had a solid, experienced team last year. they went 9-4 the year before to 5-7 last year. the skipper brought almost all of his recruits and several transfers to improve upon the team, and the y laid an egg.

no matter how talented a player may be, walk-on freshmen are prone to make mistakes. it will take time to develop chemistry among his team-mates. I don't agree with your analogy about Baker Mayfield. baker went to a football powerhouse where almost every Qb no matter how talented they were, looked good - much like USC. if baker had played for minn, I doubt his name would be in anyone's mind or conversation.

looking at their schedule, I see 6 potential winnable games. if they lose one of their first three, which with a freshman QB is highly probable, it will soon become a long season.

I'm writing them off. They had a solid, experienced team last year. they went 9-4 the year before to 5-7 last year. the skipper brought almost all of his recruits and several transfers to improve upon the team, and the y laid an egg.

no matter how talented a player may be, walk-on freshmen are prone to make mistakes. it will take time to develop chemistry among his team-mates. I don't agree with your analogy about Baker Mayfield. baker went to a football powerhouse where almost every Qb no matter how talented they were, looked good - much like USC. if baker had played for minn, I doubt his name would be in anyone's mind or conversation.

looking at their schedule, I see 6 potential winnable games. if they lose one of their first three, which with a freshman QB is highly probable, it will soon become a long season.

Lately, Minny has been solid at non-skill spots and pretty putrid at the skill spots.

Well unfortunately we play them late in the year and on the road. And Fleck came in very late in the process and did not have a lot of his own players to show for it. They had a pretty solid recruiting class this year. It could be a tough game for us. I also would not call Texas Tech a football powerhouse having 1 Big 12 championship in their history, and even if so that proves the point that he leapfrogged a lot of very good players to start as a true freshman walk-on.

Well unfortunately we play them late in the year and on the road. And Fleck came in very late in the process and did not have a lot of his own players to show for it. They had a pretty solid recruiting class this year. It could be a tough game for us. I also would not call Texas Tech a football powerhouse having 1 Big 12 championship in their history, and even if so that proves the point that he leapfrogged a lot of very good players to start as a true freshman walk-on.
He walked on at Oklahoma too. I assume that is who he is talking about.

I'l buy your lunch at the place of your choice when this specific walk-on wins the Heisman.

and they are recruiting as well as us too.

That is not a bowl team.

See if you can make it through this, possibly the longest 3 minutes of your life.

In addition to the antics and nonsense (with patience you have to be impatient WTF??), at +1:07 and +1:50 his choice of words are a bit.. uncomfortable.

See if you can make it through this, possibly the longest 3 minutes of your life.

In addition to the antics and nonsense (with patience you have to be impatient WTF??), at +1:07 and +1:50 his choice of words are a bit.. uncomfortable.
In all honesty, he would make an amazing associate head coach and if he fails at Minny will likely be as such at a program like OSU, Alabama, or Clemson. He would make a great associate head coach and head of recruiting.

In all honesty, he would make an amazing associate head coach and if he fails at Minny will likely be as such at a program like OSU, Alabama, or Clemson. He would make a great associate head coach and head of recruiting.
I think he would drive most HCs nuts -he’s usually like a 5 year old on a sugar high. Surprised Tressel could take him. Tressel liked Hazell though, too, so maybe he didn’t have the best judgment w.r.t. assistants.

So glad I don't have to like this guy. "Enact perfection" gag "Beekers...REMEMBER BEEKERS?!?!"

If he was PUR HC I'd be all, "he's great!! Love his enthusiasm!! He connects with the young guys! ROW THE BOAT!!!" blah blah blah.

But deep down in my black heart...I know I'd secretly hate him.

Reactions: Professor Emeritus
So glad I don't have to like this guy. "Enact perfection" gag "Beekers...REMEMBER BEEKERS?!?!"

If he was PUR HC I'd be all, "he's great!! Love his enthusiasm!! He connects with the young guys! ROW THE BOAT!!!" blah blah blah.

But deep down in my black heart...I know I'd secretly hate him.
No, man. If he was the HC at Purdue I’d be saying things like “he sucked last season- like 3-9 again or worse” and I’d be saying that Purdue had hired a more hyper version of Hazell. Lots of sloganeering and not a good coach.

I can't remember who it was (Herbstreit?) who had Minnesota as their sleeper in the West this year.

I'm just looking at their official roster. They have 4 QBs listed.

#19 Samuel Pickerign - RS Fr who threw 82 passes his Sr year of HS
#16 Jon Santaga - RS Fr whose bio is more about receiving and punting
#5 Zack Annexstad - true Fr walk-on. named starter. Good HS stats. #45 Pro-style QB
#2 Tanner Morgan - RS Fr. very good stats and was finalist for KY Mr. Football

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT