ADVERTISEMENT

Minnesota- Purdue Game Discussion Thread

We have no push from the middle front. We have a middle LB that is not BT caliber. George needs help on the other end, which won't come until next year. Our secondary is still young, so they need help from the line, which is not happening. We are missing Bailey and Neal. It is the perfect storm right now.

Then why does the D coordinator continue to play his overmatched son snap after snap? It's absolutely embarrassing. Put in a freshman and get him some experience. It can't be any worse.

Reactions: Boilerscuz
We have no push from the middle front. We have a middle LB that is not BT caliber. George needs help on the other end, which won't come until next year. Our secondary is still young, so they need help from the line, which is not happening. We are missing Bailey and Neal. It is the perfect storm right now.

Not to mention the Gophers 1700 lb OL they need to “push” through...

I still don’t get people’s outsized expectations for this year. Thin at all positions, but most especially on the lines. That’s not even accounting for the continuous injury factory we seem to have on the field. Let’s just try to enjoy watching the young players get experience and have some hope for two years from now.

Injuries most certainly are impacting things because the two we have out were vital to this defense. But coaching hasn't prepared the team and we have no depth.

I agree that's it's a whole combination of a bunch of things. The one thing I do think we've learned over the last few years is Holt defenses seem to be best when they're aggressive. They might give up big plays, but they'll also make their share of plays too. The talent/scheme just doesn't seem to work when playing more "straight up." Playing "reactionary" against Minnesota (or anyone else the last couple of years) has been a recipe for getting torn apart on D.

I agree that's it's a whole combination of a bunch of things. The one thing I do think we've learned over the last few years is Holt defenses seem to be best when they're aggressive. They might give up big plays, but they'll also make their share of plays too. The talent/scheme just doesn't seem to work when playing more "straight up." Playing "reactionary" against Minnesota (or anyone else the last couple of years) has been a recipe for getting torn apart on D.
Good point. Might as well be aggressive because we're giving up the big plays right now anyway.

Reactions: Boiler8285
I still don’t get people’s outsized expectations for this year. Thin at all positions, but most especially on the lines. That’s not even accounting for the continuous injury factory we seem to have on the field. Let’s just try to enjoy watching the young players get experience and have some hope for two years from now.

If we're going to use injury as an excuse for the terrible D we're seeing, then that is pathetic. You're saying Bailey would cover Holt's man for him??

If we're going to use injury as an excuse for the terrible D we're seeing, then that is pathetic. You're saying Bailey would cover Holt's man for him??

Do you believe when a MB or LN are playing they’re only affecting the person their defending? There’s a symbiosis that happens on the field that is missing when a superior player is swapped out for an inferior one.

Reactions: bananabucket
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT