ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan v. Purdue (Game Thread)

Purdue Grad in Texas

All-American
Mar 22, 2010
Good Saturday afternoon, Ladies and Gentlemen. Today, the Michigan Wolverines come into Mackey Arena as the visitors to take on the 4th-ranked Purdue Boilermakers in what shapes up to be a really good conference battle. Tip-off is scheduled for around 2:30 pm (Eastern) with television coverage on FOX. This will be the first of two games against each other in five days as a result of some schedule reshuffling for Michigan's postponed game with Purdue earlier in the season. They'll meet up in Ann Arbor next TH, with Purdue hosting Illinois on Tuesday and Michigan travelling to Penn State.

Fair to say it's been a disappointing season overall for Michigan. Pre-season, they were the highest rated conference team, but they have struggled with team chemistry, on defense, and have had a pause from COVID protocols. However, the Wolverines come in to this contest poised for a potential upset and chance to get back into the NCAA tournament discussion. Michigan has won four of their last five games and stands at 5-4 in conference; 11-8 overall. They bounced back from a loss to Michigan State with an 85-79 win over Nebraska on Tuesday. They have plenty of talent - DeVante Jones is averaging 9.1 points and 3.8 assists for the Wolverines. Hunter Dickinson is averaging 13.6 points over the last 10 games for Michigan and provides a strong inside presence for Michigan, which they will need today on both ends of the floor to counter the Boilers' combo of Zach Edey and Trevion Williams. They'll need some of their other players (like Caleb Houstan or Eli Brooks and Moussa Diabate) to step up with a solid contribution.

Purdue comes into this game on a four-game winning streak following its wins over No. 16 Ohio State and on the road at Minnesota. Jaden Ivey led the Boilers in Minneapolis with 21 and tied his career best with 10 rebounds. Purdue also got a huge boost from Eric Hunter, Jr., who is playing very well of late. Hunter added 20 points with very timely shooting and decision-making. In addition to the production with scoring, he's also rounding back in to form on defense, which couldn't come at a better time for Purdue, heading into another difficult stretch of conference games.

Both these teams have struggled at times on defense, but Purdue has been one of the best teams in the country on offense and has had some better defensive performances as of late. I expect Michigan will still try to attack with the guards and also give Hunter Dickinson a chance to try and work in the paint. If Michigan shoots well today, they can cause some problems. Also, Purdue had some difficulty with the weather and travelling back home from Minnesota - will that lead to any sluggishness? I expect Purdue to continue to work inside-outside with Edey/Williams and Sasha Stefanovic....and let Jaden Ivey work from the wing and in transition. As in most games, they'll need to try and maintain an edge on the glass and avoid the turnovers that lead to scores for Michigan. On defense, they need to avoid foul issues with Jaden Ivey and the centers, which would negate their biggest advantages.

Should be a really competitive contest - will the Boilers keep things moving on track? We shall see.....

Boiler up, my friends.

isaachayes1x18x10x05xmc.jpg

i
i

Good Saturday afternoon, Ladies and Gentlemen. Today, the Michigan Wolverines come into Mackey Arena as the visitors to take on the 4th-ranked Purdue Boilermakers in what shapes up to be a really good conference battle. Tip-off is scheduled for around 2:30 pm (Eastern) with television coverage on FOX. This will be the first of two games against each other in five days as a result of some schedule reshuffling for Michigan's postponed game with Purdue earlier in the season. They'll meet up in Ann Arbor next TH, with Purdue hosting Illinois on Tuesday and Michigan travelling to Penn State.

Fair to say it's been a disappointing season overall for Michigan. Pre-season, they were the highest rated conference team, but they have struggled with team chemistry, on defense, and have had a pause from COVID protocols. However, the Wolverines come in to this contest poised for a potential upset and chance to get back into the NCAA tournament discussion. Michigan has won four of their last five games and stands at 5-4 in conference; 11-8 overall. They bounced back from a loss to Michigan State with an 85-79 win over Nebraska on Tuesday. They have plenty of talent - DeVante Jones is averaging 9.1 points and 3.8 assists for the Wolverines. Hunter Dickinson is averaging 13.6 points over the last 10 games for Michigan and provides a strong inside presence for Michigan, which they will need today on both ends of the floor to counter the Boilers' combo of Zach Edey and Trevion Williams. They'll need some of their other players (like Caleb Houstan or Eli Brooks and Moussa Diabate) to step up with a solid contribution.

Purdue comes into this game on a four-game winning streak following its wins over No. 16 Ohio State and on the road at Minnesota. Jaden Ivey led the Boilers in Minneapolis with 21 and tied his career best with 10 rebounds. Purdue also got a huge boost from Eric Hunter, Jr., who is playing very well of late. Hunter added 20 points with very timely shooting and decision-making. In addition to the production with scoring, he's also rounding back in to form on defense, which couldn't come at a better time for Purdue, heading into another difficult stretch of conference games.

Both these teams have struggled at times on defense, but Purdue has been one of the best teams in the country on offense and has had some better defensive performances as of late. I expect Michigan will still try to attack with the guards and also give Hunter Dickinson a chance to try and work in the paint. If Michigan shoots well today, they can cause some problems. Also, Purdue had some difficulty with the weather and travelling back home from Minnesota - will that lead to any sluggishness? I expect Purdue to continue to work inside-outside with Edey/Williams and Sasha Stefanovic....and let Jaden Ivey work from the wing and in transition. As in most games, they'll need to try and maintain an edge on the glass and avoid the turnovers that lead to scores for Michigan. On defense, they need to avoid foul issues with Jaden Ivey and the centers, which would negate their biggest advantages.

Should be a really competitive contest - will the Boilers keep things moving on track? We shall see.....

Boiler up, my friends.

isaachayes1x18x10x05xmc.jpg

i
i
Full house 2 min togo

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT