ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan State?

Iowa is just not a good team. We should/would have beaten them by 40 if we would’ve kept the top players in. I also think the guys finishing up the game let their foot off the gas to end the game.

Wonder if a bottom 3 finish ends the reign of Fran?

Iowa is just not a good team. We should/would have beaten them by 40 if we would’ve kept the top players in. I also think the guys finishing up the game let their foot off the gas to end the game.
Speaking of that, I didn't watch a minute of the game so I suppose the stats could be wrong, but the box score I saw showed Iowa State only playing EIGHT total players, including one of their guards who played 36 minutes. After the first possession of the 2nd half they never led by less than 20.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Painter tried to recruit Lance’s team mate. Unfortunately without cutting players like Morton, Painter only had one scholarship to give. Lance’s teammate chose Illinois and Lance chose Purdue. Painter tried to make it a package deal but we only had room for one. They are both very good players.
Don't know about the rest of that story, but we had 2 scholarships open at the time, so that wasn't the limiting factor.

Reactions: Roeder
@ Maryland is Purdue's next conference game - the dreaded January 2 spot and right before they host Illinois three days later. I will be very interested to see how Purdue plays/executes. Last year, Maryland was a hornet's nest @ home and erased an eight-point second half deficit against the Boilers in what seemed like the blink of an eye.

Cautiously optimistic, but that's partially due to reduced Boilerepherine levels after an Iowa beatdown. :)

Those Christmas break B1G games always worry me. Maryland should be better and this will be the classic win and fix the season game for them. Dangerous game and CANT let them get their heads up.

ILL at home without the Paint Crew will be tough too. Wisconsin got us 2 years ago and Rutgers last year in this same spot. The team always seems flat on break w/o students and unfortunately ILL is probably the only B1G team with ability to come into Mackey and walk away with a win this season.

I remember Sasha looking frustrated the crowd wasn't loud and trying to pump us up 2 years ago against Wisconsin, and remember thinking why don't you try hitting a shot or staying in front of Johnny Davis? Mackey can rock without the students, but the team needs to give them something to cheer about.

These games will tell us a lot about where this team is at mentally IMO. After these 2 I think they can and should cruise through the schedule for a bit.

Reactions: Schnelk
Those Christmas break B1G games always worry me. Maryland should be better and this will be the classic win and fix the season game for them. Dangerous game and CANT let them get their heads up.

ILL at home without the Paint Crew will be tough too. Wisconsin got us 2 years ago and Rutgers last year in this same spot. The team always seems flat on break w/o students and unfortunately ILL is probably the only B1G team with ability to come into Mackey and walk away with a win this season.

I remember Sasha looking frustrated the crowd wasn't loud and trying to pump us up 2 years ago against Wisconsin, and remember thinking why don't you try hitting a shot or staying in front of Johnny Davis? Mackey can rock without the students, but the team needs to give them something to cheer about.

These games will tell us a lot about where this team is at mentally IMO. After these 2 I think they can and should cruise through the schedule for a bit.

Haha.....yeah,.....oh man....Johnny Davis.....that was a frustrating game. Even so, Purdue still had a lead in the second-half that withered away. Then it was Cam Spencer last year. We shall see.

Wonder how they got that way? Could it be due the ones that raised them?
Absolutely. I've had some adults out in public try to say stuff to me about how I discipline my kids. I refuse to have disrespectful kids. Then had a "friend" try to say something as well. Meanwhile her kids keep getting suspended and expelled from school for bringing knives, hatchet, lighters and other reasons to school. It's row they are being raised and social media doesn't help either.

Absolutely. I've had some adults out in public try to say stuff to me about how I discipline my kids. I refuse to have disrespectful kids. Then had a "friend" try to say something as well. Meanwhile her kids keep getting suspended and expelled from school for bringing knives, hatchet, lighters and other reasons to school. It's row they are being raised and social media doesn't help either.
They brought a Hatchet to school? You need some metal detectors!!

• Wow
I see all this anecdotal evidence that this generation is soft, and then I hear they are bringing hatchets to school. What's a person to think? :p

• Haha
Don't know about the rest of that story, but we had 2 scholarships open at the time, so that wasn't the limiting factor.
I don’t know the rest of the story either. There were a bunch of stories from the Southern Illinois media that Painter was recruiting both players and kind of preferred the one that got away. I agree at the time, we had two scholarships and Painter was recruiting both players as sort of a package deal. Jones came to Purdue and his teammate went to Illinois. He could have been a nice potential starter at the 3. Maybe he felt he was a better fit at Illinois. Painter ended up giving the second scholarship to someone else .

I always wondered why they were ranked top 5 to start the year. They were just 21-13 last year. Yeah, they returned a lot but the frontcourt guys they were returning weren't good last year either. The freshman class was heralded but Booker clearly wasn't ready, Carr is a freak athlete but not a great basketball player yet and Jeremy Fears played a position they were already stacked at.

Love (and hate) Tyson Walker but he can't do it alone. Hoggard hasn't taken a step and they miss Joey Hauser's offense.

Reactions: Heads up BOILER
Izzo is just coasting into retirement. Little to no development of his relatively high ranked recruits, poor game preparation, etc. He has the HOF wrapped up so why work hard?

Never liked the morals of his recruits. Never thought Izzo played inside the rules. Maybe this year is just too much to hold everything together.

I’m enjoying this year so far.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
I always wondered why they were ranked top 5 to start the year. They were just 21-13 last year. Yeah, they returned a lot but the frontcourt guys they were returning weren't good last year either. The freshman class was heralded but Booker clearly wasn't ready, Carr is a freak athlete but not a great basketball player yet and Jeremy Fears played a position they were already stacked at.

Love (and hate) Tyson Walker but he can't do it alone. Hoggard hasn't taken a step and they miss Joey Hauser's offense.
They were the only B1G to make the S16 and returned almost everyone with a high recruiting class. The 3 guards last year were expected to take a big leap this year but Hoggard has forgotten how to play and Akins hasn’t made any type of expected jump.

They were the only B1G to make the S16 and returned almost everyone with a high recruiting class. The 3 guards last year were expected to take a big leap this year but Hoggard has forgotten how to play and Akins hasn’t made any type of expected jump.
Yet another example IMO of where people put too much emphasis on a one and done tournament and ignore the 30+ game season that precedes it.

Zero interior offense - just jump shooters. Izzo got Booker for Booker to ride the bench.
Having seen Booker play a number of times, I expected him to be a project. I never saw anything to justify his high ranking. His ranking was obviously based on his "potential" because of his height and agility. I was always underwhelmed by his effort. But I thought he would get more playing time, because I assumed Izzo would get him to play hard. He obviously needs more work than I thought.

Having seen Booker play a number of times, I expected him to be a project. I never saw anything to justify his high ranking. His ranking was obviously based on his "potential" because of his height and agility. I was always underwhelmed by his effort. But I thought he would get more playing time, because I assumed Izzo would get him to play hard. He obviously needs more work than I thought.
My thought is that Izzo just isn’t doing much work with these kids. They sure don’t seem to have the toughness and drive of MSU teams 10 years ago. Coasting, IMHO.

Maybe they will prove me wrong, but I think Izzo will retire in a couple years anyway.

Wholeheartedly agree! They weren’t great last year and really didn’t excel at the end of last season. Yah they did better in the tourney than most of the B1G but that’s not saying much. In order to be top 5 they needed the entire team to make a step up and play much better than last year. Freshmen were acknowledged early by Izzo to not be ready to play many productive minutes.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
I see all this anecdotal evidence that this generation is soft, and then I hear they are bringing hatchets to school. What's a person to think? :p
I think that when I was a kid we didn't need no stinkin' hatchets. Our fists were lethal weapons. We didn't want to kill our opponents. We just wanted to beat them bad enough to send a message.

Is Wisconsin legit? If so, Arizona might be better than '76 IU, considering they summarily dumped Wisconsin.

Imagine being Booker and sitting the bench collecting DNP after DNP to back up dudes who can’t score when you could have collected those at Purdue behind the defending NPOY.
Not sure Booker will turn into a great collegiate recruit. Izzo says he’s lacking a motor an intensity. That’s earned him time on the scout team evidently. It’s hard to teach/coach up drive, desire, determination, self motivation and work ethic. Hopefully for his sake he gets there but from feedback it seems he’s got a ways to go.

Is Wisconsin legit? If so, Arizona might be better than '76 IU, considering they summarily dumped Wisconsin.

Better than an undefeated NC team. How so? I think let's let them play their schedule before we compare them to other years teams.

One thing for certain. This year AZ is elite. They could blow us out too.....as we could them....or anywhere in the middle.

As far as Wisc. They are a decent team in a weak league.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT