ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan State vs. Purdue: MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD

It really makes me sick that this season is playing out as a combination of the worst case scenario flashbacks.

Last year, we had rock fights in the big ten tournament games and we looked unprepared for March and that was true.

Other years: Hummel, Haas injuries

This time: injury close calls and a rock fight in BTT tourney game 1

I really don't want them to paly tomorrow
Me either. I want to put my head in sand and pretend Im not seeing all the things I have seen in terror before

Two quick points:

Officiating was atrocious and one of the reasons BIG doesn't fair well in the Dance. Someone is going to get seriously injured.

I TOTALLY disagree with playing Braden Smith. No way that should have happened. That's Painter's fault. He has to learn to trust Heide and Colvin.

Reactions: boilermaker75
Say what you want about Izzo but the guy can flat out bitch.

I received no love for this post . . . .

Big Ten considering rule changes for next year.

This modification will apply to:

Section_VII_Officiating_Fees_and_Policies_8_23

When Michigan State University is playing, 4 officials will be assigned to the game.

The three least senior members will officiate the game as usual.

The most senior member will have the duty to sit on the end of the scorer's table nearest the Michigan State University bench. His/her only responsibility will be to coddle and placate Thomas Michael Izzo. His/her primary goal will be to keep Thomas Michael Izzo from foot stomping, yelling, entering the playing floor, crying, whining and intimidating the other officials. He will carry with him the necessary equipment, but no whistle. He should also keep plenty of dry crying towels with him/her.

This addition to the rules will be voted on by the commissioner of the Big Ten and the governing board.

I'm glad Smith is ok. I actually am ok with him going back in the game, not bad perhaps to just test it game speed since the game was close and we are in a tourney but who knows.

It was a bit strange to see Braden with those two travels in the same spot in addition to completely ignoring open shooters out on the wing all game.

Two quick points:

Officiating was atrocious and one of the reasons BIG doesn't fair well in the Dance. Someone is going to get seriously injured.

I TOTALLY disagree with playing Braden Smith. No way that should have happened. That's Painter's fault. He has to learn to trust Heide and Colvin.
He doesn't even need to trust them. THIS GAME MEANT NOTHING. Sure play for the BTT title, until your two best players are dinged up........then pull them, lick your wounds and go home. Sure this team isn't rotating deep right now, and any injury to our top 6 (starters + gillis) would be devastating to our chances. Edey or Smith get injured, we may as well not even show up.

Mixed bag today for sure - Purdue defended as well as they have all year on the perimeter - but really got out-competed on the glass. Holding Walker, Hoggard, and Akins to 27 on 11/37 shooting was enough I guess. Quintessential survive and advance game - may end up helping down the line. Edey and Jones have to clean up the FT leakage, though.

Colvin getting some meaningful minutes and adding some production is big, too.

Lot of the MSU rebounds bounced a ways beyond the rim, Purdue should have gotten a few more of them but the team with more athleticism and quickness has an advantage.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
Mixed bag today for sure - Purdue defended as well as they have all year on the perimeter - but really got out-competed on the glass. Holding Walker, Hoggard, and Akins to 27 on 11/37 shooting was enough I guess. Quintessential survive and advance game - may end up helping down the line. Edey and Jones have to clean up the FT leakage, though.

Colvin getting some meaningful minutes and adding some production is big, too.
A lot of that was their push and if not scoring then causing a mismatch in size and then Zach going to help and them hitting a diver. Purdue let them get one shot for about 4 possessions or so in the last 6 minutes???? by playing better D and Zach staying on his man. They were quick to the ball and showed experience grabbing long bounced missed shots. ;) Some of the rebounding also appeared due to what seems to me that Purdue is plugging the lane a bit more the last couple of games...a little more sag that leaves gaps

Lot of the MSU rebounds bounced a ways beyond the rim, Purdue should have gotten a few more of them but the team with more athleticism and quickness has an advantage.
Not everyone was hustling to the ball. Too many plays Purdue was standing waiting for it to bounce to them or acting like a teammate was going to get it. MSU ran to the ball. Their hustle kept them in the game.

I know Smith wants to be out there, but Painter is the HC and needs to be a good one. THIS GAME MEANS NOTHING and our stars are both 1) hurting 2) not performing.

WTF IS HE DOING?
I know some posts on the subject tried to explain such, but if you catch after the game with Zach he says the same thing. Every game they play they want to win.

Reactions: Chi-Boiler
A lot of that was their push and if not scoring then causing a mismatch in size and then Zach going to help and them hitting a diver. Purdue let them get one shot for about 4 possessions or so in the last 6 minutes???? by playing better D and Zach staying on his man. They were quick to the ball and showed experience grabbing long bounced missed shots. ;) Some of the rebounding also appeared due to what seems to me that Purdue is plugging the lane a bit more the last couple of games...a little more sag that leaves gaps

Yeah TJ.....plenty of times Boilers were too deep in the paint.....also just not quick enough to the ball on some. Credit Michigan State - you knew they would bring the fight, and they did. Purdue probably loses that game last year.

Yeah TJ.....plenty of times Boilers were too deep in the paint.....also just not quick enough to the ball on some. Credit Michigan State - you knew they would bring the fight, and they did. Purdue probably loses that game last year.
That was their experience I mentioned with "missed shots"... ;) They were running Zach and getting the ball out and going while Zach was still trying to get back. Hit the Fts a bit better and not give up the 6 pts I mentioned early in thread about no safety when Braden drives the ball and this is easily a double digit win even with the other things.

This was a very good game "for Purdue".
1)It reminded them of the physical play needed at times.
2)It created a lot of adversity
3)It took focus to close
4) Braden played very little
5) Lance did okay handling the ball. Not as good as Braden in that aspect, but Purdue did not lose the lead as a result
6)Purdue survived the quick, athletic physical play that has been a problem in the tourney
7) Refs were not very good in calling some touch and letting some physical play go...did call some charges and one Lance got he shouldn't.
8 ) TEams are really focusing on the boards against Purdue
9) Myles got some minutes and got his first FTs "under pressure" in a game that I'm aware
10)Team buckled down and didn't panic without Braden or when MSU was making some mini runs.

People should go through the entire thread as there is some crazy stuff

Reactions: wallyboiler79
Can’t wait to watch Izzo’s “woe is me” post game presser.

Lots of empty seats on that train. Gonna be a lonely ride to nowhere.
We don't make the sweet 16 this year, and there will be some passengers

We don't make the sweet 16 this year, after Smith or Edey are out because we played them injured in the BTT and the train will start to fill up quickly.

But what exactly was the injury? Should we know before we demand the coach's head?
Smith was on the ground for a while, and left. Was immediately put back in, and was having trouble on defense. Let's say he tweeked anything in his leg, do we want to overexert it before we get a diagnosis? He clearly wasnt in the locker room long enough to be diagnosed.

Edey was plowed into by Sissoko on Sissokos last foul, his ankle rolled. He also wasn't the same after that.

Our path in the big ten is getting mugged by MSU, then getting mugged by Wis/NW. Was this game really that important to risk anything? "fire painter" might be a little extreme, but this seems extremely short sighted, or just plain dumb IMHO.

Lots of empty seats on that train. Gonna be a lonely ride to nowhere.
So we had the media discuss Matt listening to the players in the huddle concerning if Fletcher could throw the lob. That was praised. Now we have Braden wanting to play, wanting to do his part for the team and telling Matt he could go and Matt listened again.

That relationship with the players is something every coach seeks. Could you imagine…Team I know Braden wants to play and I do understand all of you worked your asses off for months and wanted to be at your best for the hardware, but in spite of Braden and the trainer saying no harm in playing, I think Braden doesn’t need to play because we need him in Indianpolis for the 16 seed in a few days

Smith was on the ground for a while, and left. Was immediately put back in, and was having trouble on defense. Let's say he tweeked anything in his leg, do we want to overexert it before we get a diagnosis? He clearly wasnt in the locker room long enough to be diagnosed.

Edey was plowed into by Sissoko on Sissokos last foul, his ankle rolled. He also wasn't the same after that.

Our path in the big ten is getting mugged by MSU, then getting mugged by Wis/NW. Was this game really that important to risk anything? "fire painter" might be a little extreme, but this seems extremely short sighted, or just plain dumb IMHO.
Are any games important enough to risk injury to a player? What are we really worried about here? Are we concerned about the player's health, or the fan's desire to advance in the tournament?

So we had the media discuss Matt listening to the players in the huddle concerning if Fletcher could throw the lob. That was praised. Now we have Braden wanting to play, wanting to do his part for the team and telling Matt he could go and Matt listened again.

That relationship with the players is something every coach seeks. Could you imagine…Team I know Braden wants to play and I do understand all of you worked your asses off for months and wanted to be at your best for the hardware, but in spite of Braden and the trainer saying no harm in playing, I think Braden doesn’t need to play because we need him in Indianpolis for the 16 seed in a few days
In any sport, the coach asks a player if he/she is good to go after an potential injury (unless, of course, they are carried off the court or field). If a doctor or trainer has checked the injury and he and the player both say they are good to go, no coach is going to contradict them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT