ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan Makes a Huge Statement With New Coach

ghostoffatjack

Sophomore
Jun 15, 2013
All kinds of media are reporting today that Harbough is their new coach and that the family will be in Ann Arbor on Tuesday for the announcement!

Quite possibly but I would bet they will be .500 or better his first year if he does become the coach!

He'll undoubtably get them back on track...and quickly...but that will come at a price.

Harbaugh is borderline psycho and will ruffle A LOT of feathers in Ann Arbor. That program needs a good kick in the ass and Harbaugh is just the guy to do it, but a price will be paid down the line.

Be careful what you wish for.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Harbaugh is half psycho but I think that's part of his genius. The guy is hyper-competitive, a work-aholic and has won big every place he's ever been. It will be must watch TV when Harbaugh coaches against Meyer and Dantonio!

Harbaugh won't wear out his welcome in 4 years. It's not like Michigan and harbaugh don't know each other. He is going to have a say in who the next ad is. His contract is actually longer than what was reported and it is heavily back loaded with a huge bonus at the end. His parent are moving to be by him. He is going to be at Michigan for a least 8-10 years

Originally posted by studed:
Harbaugh won't wear out his welcome in 4 years. It's not like Michigan and harbaugh don't know each other. He is going to have a say in who the next ad is. His contract is actually longer than what was reported and it is heavily back loaded with a huge bonus at the end. His parent are moving to be by him. He is going to be at Michigan for a least 8-10 years

I'm sure the folks at Stanford and San Fran thought the exact same thing.

Originally posted by Mroad:

Harbaugh is half psycho but I think that's part of his genius. The guy is hyper-competitive, a work-aholic and has won big every place he's ever been. It will be must watch TV when Harbaugh coaches against Meyer and Dantonio!
If he comes to U of M, don't forget about the rise of PSU and the addition of Rutgers. I think with the exception of Purdue and IU, B10 football is on the rise.

This post was edited on 12/31 10:51 AM by TwinDegrees2

Originally posted by fentonboiler:
Originally posted by studed:

I'm sure the folks at Stanford and San Fran thought the exact same thing.

He left Stanford a better place than he found it and shaw was one of his hires

If there's one thing I've learned over this search it's that that NFL

talking heads are clueless as to what is going on outside of their own "sources". Several Michigan people knew this was going to happen back in early December. To the point where as early as Friday, I heard that San Fran and JH would amicably part ways tonight (done), JH will be announced to the team tomorrow morning (remotely), dinner with regents tomorrow night, press conference at 1P on Tues and introduced to the students during the UM/Ill BBall game on Tues afternoon.

I don't know how well JH will work out at UM or how long he'll be there, but I literally LOL'd and the NFL insiders tripping over themselves about him talking to the Raiders, etc today. This thing was decided long before today. The NFL and ESPN folks could have easily found that out with a little more research than just talking to "their sources".

Harbaugh wasn't signed to this long of contract or this much money harbaugh parents didn't move to Stanford. Harbaugh didn't play football at stanford

Originally posted by NCBoiler06:
Bad for Purdue. Great for the B1G. BTN is calling their physicians after a 4+ hour erection.
I dont get how other B1G teams getting better is bad for Purdue. This is great for Purdue indirectly. This gives OSU, MSU, and Michigan all a significant chance to up their profiles nationally, and we will be playing the same teams. Better exposure to recruits, higher level of competition, whats bad about this? That we have to pull our heads out of ourselves and figure out how to run a program?

Originally posted by boiler17:
Bad for Purdue. Great for the B1G. BTN is calling their physicians after a 4+ hour erection.
I dont get how other B1G teams getting better is bad for Purdue. This is great for Purdue indirectly. This gives OSU, MSU, and Michigan all a significant chance to up their profiles nationally, and we will be playing the same teams. Better exposure to recruits, higher level of competition, whats bad about this? That we have to pull our heads out of ourselves and figure out how to run a program?
Agree 17. I think Danny Hope REALLY benefited from a down OSU in 2011(people still cite that 2011 win over a 6-6 team as something special....it wasn't..) and a down Michigan early in his tenure while he was here.

That, and the sanctions/scandal at PSU really helped keep some of the perennial football powers in the conference down. We didn't really take advantage.

The biggest difference in the Hope era vs. the Hazell era to me is simply offensive production. When Hope/Nord was here, the offense on average performed in the 70s. That's not good...but if we had that same offense this year we could have gone bowling! With Hazell/Shoop, we still haven't cracked the top 100. Anytime your units A. make the other side of the ball look worse than they really are and B. can't at least perform in the neighborhood of their recruiting rankings you have a problem.

Hazell was not the main problem. That is, until he failed to make a change and remedy the big issue that he has!

Originally posted by pboiler18:

Agree 17. I think Danny Hope REALLY benefited from a down OSU in 2011(people still cite that 2011 win over a 6-6 team as something special....it wasn't..) and a down Michigan early in his tenure while he was here.

That, and the sanctions/scandal at PSU really helped keep some of the perennial football powers in the conference down. We didn't really take advantage.

The biggest difference in the Hope era vs. the Hazell era to me is simply offensive production. When Hope/Nord was here, the offense on average performed in the 70s. That's not good...but if we had that same offense this year we could have gone bowling! With Hazell/Shoop, we still haven't cracked the top 100. Anytime your units A. make the other side of the ball look worse than they really are and B. can't at least perform in the neighborhood of their recruiting rankings you have a problem.

Hazell was not the main problem. That is, until he failed to make a change and remedy the big issue that he has!
Largely agree, but think the OSU/Michigan points are relevant when gauging the physical talent of those teams. Even on their worst years those two in particular mop the floor with us recruiting. The most interesting thing to me about those games is how well we held the LOS on both sides of the ball.

Still think Hazell is at least 50% of the problem. Even if he never hired Shoop, he is way too stubborn and slow to adjust among other points we have been over. At least with our dialog, I have something to keep me analyzing/interested in our games when we go down 20.

I do agree with a 60th ranked offense we go bowling. Its remarkable how bad they make them play.

Largely agree, but think the OSU/Michigan points are relevant when gauging the physical talent of those teams. Even on their worst years those two in particular mop the floor with us recruiting. The most interesting thing to me about those games is how well we held the LOS on both sides of the ball.

Still think Hazell is at least 50% of the problem. Even if he never hired Shoop, he is way too stubborn and slow to adjust among other points we have been over. At least with our dialog, I have something to keep me analyzing/interested in our games when we go down 20.

I do agree with a 60th ranked offense we go bowling. Its remarkable how bad they make them play.
I don't think that slow adjustment is all on Hazell. I mean, last year and even at times this year we made sweeping changes on the defensive side of the ball wether it be base alignment/system, personnel or strategy. I also don't necessarily DIRECTLY blame him for recruiting. We didn't recruit well BEFORE he got here and didn't have the players to have great results (but certainly better than we got). That said, he is recruiting on par with his predecessor...so at least recruiting has not gotten worse per se while he has been here. How Hazell is hurting recruiting is by not getting rid of Shoop (would you want to play for that guy? Ha!) and not establishing a distinct offensive identity....which is what Purdue is known for.

I think Hazell would be moderately successful here, but his choice of coordinator and subsequent slowness to remove that problem has basically made sure he will not be successful here.

I don't think the team is undisciplined. I think execution and assignment wise they have slowly gotten better (at least on defense...and I think the OL isn't our weakpoint on offense any longer). I think you forget how dismal things were in that regard when Hope was here and we penaltied and time managed ourselves out of a handful of winnable games. That's not what upsets me about this team. It's that when the offense comes out, its clear we have no identity, strengths or discernable difference in gameplan from week to week.

I don't think that slow adjustment is all on Hazell. I mean, last year and even at times this year we made sweeping changes on the defensive side of the ball wether it be base alignment/system, personnel or strategy. I also don't necessarily DIRECTLY blame him for recruiting. We didn't recruit well BEFORE he got here and didn't have the players to have great results (but certainly better than we got). That said, he is recruiting on par with his predecessor...so at least recruiting has not gotten worse per se while he has been here. How Hazell is hurting recruiting is by not getting rid of Shoop (would you want to play for that guy? Ha!) and not establishing a distinct offensive identity....which is what Purdue is known for.

I think Hazell would be moderately successful here, but his choice of coordinator and subsequent slowness to remove that problem has basically made sure he will not be successful here.

I don't think the team is undisciplined. I think execution and assignment wise they have slowly gotten better (at least on defense...and I think the OL isn't our weakpoint on offense any longer). I think you forget how dismal things were in that regard when Hope was here and we penaltied and time managed ourselves out of a handful of winnable games. That's not what upsets me about this team. It's that when the offense comes out, its clear we have no identity, strengths or discernable difference in gameplan from week to week.
Do you think recruiting is similar because of the overall rankings? I think recruting has gone from a D+/D to a D-/F. I dont really follow recruiting rankings, but the amount of guys we are the only P5 offer from greatly concerns me.

The only reason I care is regarding why recruiting is hurting? I think lack of facilities and previous success is hurting us, but largely suspect inner team turmoil to be the biggest driver right now. No solid proof/insider info; just a hunch. If there is still significant turmoil between players and coaches, we are looking at something beyond a coordinator problem.

Execution and assignments at least from the oline and D got night and day better in my book. I do remember the dismalness before, lets go back to 05 or so. It was bad, trended downward, but at least it netted out to 500ish. The last two years arent even comparable for me. Its taken people like yourself and made you question if you want to watch. I fear if I move away from traveling distance to RA without things getting better, I will do the same.

They had to do something with Meyer putting O$U in the 4 team playoff this year. O$U will be even more formidable in recruiting. UM had to make a big splash with their next coach. Harbaugh will get them turned around; but his personality will rub them raw.

I say that Harbaugh to Mich to is bad for PU b/c my theory is that the only way for PU competes for the B1G championship is to "sneak" in during a down year. It is certainly a debatable theory, but I don't see Shoop and Hazell sneaking up on anyone w/ innovative coaching methods or formations anytime soon.

Originally posted by Lionheart1:
They had to do something with Meyer putting O$U in the 4 team playoff this year. O$U will be even more formidable in recruiting. UM had to make a big splash with their next coach. Harbaugh will get them turned around; but his personality will rub them raw.
I get why people think this, but really doubt it. Michigan has been humbled and will gladly hand over the keys to him for however long he can fix it without breaking any rules.

If he returns them to top 15 status, hes there for however long he wants to be.

I say that Harbaugh to Mich to is bad for PU b/c my theory is that the only way for PU competes for the B1G championship is to "sneak" in during a down year. It is certainly a debatable theory, but I don't see Shoop and Hazell sneaking up on anyone w/ innovative coaching methods or formations anytime soon.
Gotcha. I can understand that. I'd prefer as many big games as possible in the big ten to give us a chance to play the best teams and have perpetual beatdowns cause the university/athletic department reevaluate their approach or have the program start earning momentum. Would prefer we just start winning, but significant change would feel awful good right now too.

I also think if OSU, MSU, and Michigan all achieve top 20 or 15 status it will elevate the recruits all big ten schools get. Also up for debate.

MI is interested in getting back in the national championship discussion not getting back in the top 25 or 15 or whatever. This is a brilliant move; it is the only move that makes sense especially for a program with their historical tradition.
They are looking to reap millions from this move while we are mired in the land of nickels and dimes.

I get why people think this, but really doubt it. Michigan has been humbled and will gladly hand over the keys to him for however long he can fix it without breaking any rules.

Expect him to have them in the top 10 as early as next year. Hoke didn't leave the cupboard that bare and Harbaugh will get some of the better leftovers to come this year and play for him. With U of M, MSU, and OSU it's going to be very tough for anyone other than those three to ever win the B10.

"With U of M, MSU, and OSU it's going to be very tough for anyone other than those three to ever win the B10."

Shaping up to be similar to the sec west though. If they each beat one another, it makes it more difficult to reach the final four.
Thankfully we are in the west, we have that going for us at least.
With wiscy and Nebraska coach searching, now is the perfect time to win the west... Should be purdue, but Minny is setup nicely right now for it.

Originally posted by TwinDegrees2:

Expect him to have them in the top 10 as early as next year. Hoke didn't leave the cupboard that bare and Harbaugh will get some of the better leftovers to come this year and play for him. With U of M, MSU, and OSU it's going to be very tough for anyone other than those three to ever win the B10.
No chance. For starters, who's their QB? And who is said QB going to throw the ball to?

Harbaugh: Excellent coach but a "cough sufferer." The latter part of that won't matter as long as he wins.

Will he improve UM football? Without question. Will he take them to the playoff? No. If he stuck around long enough he might, but I think he's there for four years max, then back to the NFL.

Originally posted by BoilerBiker:
"With U of M, MSU, and OSU it's going to be very tough for anyone other than those three to ever win the B10."

Let's see how MSU looks minus Pat Narduzzi. Their offense has never wowed me; defense has been their calling card and is what has won them games the last few years. I expect them to slip back a little bit, but we'll see.

Not surprisingly, I think people are making everything a bit overdramatic.

You have people saying he will wear out his welcome at Michigan. Well, I mean he didn't seem to do that at Stanford, a school with much stricter standards and expectations off the field. The NFL and college are very different animals. Obviously he prefer to have a bit more control and that's a heckuva lot easier in college. Often times, players are "bigger" than coaches in the pros. You don't have that issue in college.

You have people saying he'll get Michigan back in a piece of cake. I don't doubt Michigan will improve, but not sure it will be that fast. As you pointed out, they have some big issues to take care of on their team. Things that are not necessarily overnight fixes.

You have people saying he won't stay there long. Again, I think it goes back to NFL vs. college. He's not gonna go to a different college team I'd imagine. And he obviously ran into issues in the pro game (see above). I don't know the EXTENT of these issues - whether it's' just a timing is right thing for him to go back to Michigan or if he just had a problem with the 49ers organization specifically, etc. I'm not sure - I don't think anyone knows for sure. I wouldn't be shocked to see him move along to a pro team at some point, but I also wouldn't surprised if he's at Michigan a while if things go well.

I don't think it's a coincidence you see a lot of people that go to the NFL come back to college - and it includes guys like Nick Saban.

Hope's last full recruiting class, the year before his firing, included two four-stars and 22 three-stars out of 26 total.

Compare that with the illustrious group of commitments we have right now ... pre-poaching.

Then take your foot out of your mouth again and explain about the bare cupboard and how we're better off.

I really respect Harbaugh for leaving the NFL to return to his alma mater. No disrespect to Hazell but wouldn't you like to see Kevin Sumlin or Drew Brees come back to Purdue?

Mroad posted on 12/28/2014..."Harbaugh is half psycho but I think that's part of his genius. The guy is hyper-competitive, a work-aholic and has won big every place he's ever been. It will be must watch TV when Harbaugh coaches against Meyer and Dantonio!"

I agree! I looked at Michigan's 2015 schedule and believe Harbaugh can transform them into a winner next season. OM could be undefeated when they play O$U next season.

Originally posted by Born Boiler:

Hope's last full recruiting class, the year before his firing, included two four-stars and 22 three-stars out of 26 total.

Compare that with the illustrious group of commitments we have right now ... pre-poaching.

Then take your foot out of your mouth again and explain about the bare cupboard and how we're better off.
Rankings are decieving you here. 5 of those guys never even played...

While there may have been internal talk that occurred, Purdue could have gone after Sumlin while at Houston. But they sat on Hope probably a year too long and would have otherwise had to have competed when A&M went after him. Absolutely does not mean he would have come though.

Drew Brees would need to coach first before he's anywhere near Sumlin/Harbaugh.

Sure there will be attrition, but who's to say some of our better players in this current class will stay all 4 years?

Arguing whether Hope or Hazell is better at recruiting is slightly pointless....at the end of the day, neither achieved or are achieving the levels they should be.

Michigan knows Harbaugh's personality more than most and they universally love him....heck, he was the same way when he played their back in the mid-1980's. I am in the camp that Harbaugh to Michigan is great for the Big Ten conference, partciularly since the Big Ten has been getting beat up by the media for the past 5-10 years. Furthermore, the conference needed someone to match up with Urban Meyer and I think Harbaugh is more than up for that challenge. Harbaugh was a better football player and is at least as good a football coach as Urban. In many respects, Harbaugh is a notch above Urban which I'm sure drives him crazy. It should be epic.

I think the personality thing is overblown a bit. As I mentioned before, his "personality" wasn't an issue at Stanford, which is a place that is easier to ruffle feathers for that than Michigan.

NFL is a different beast when you're dealing with players that are "bigger" than the coach and can't be bossed around by a coach as much, especially compared to college.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT