ADVERTISEMENT

Miami Heat Q&A

Gman544

Redshirt Freshman
Feb 20, 2018
From the Fort Lauderdale newspaper column Ask Ira :

Q: Sure hope Zach Edey’s there when the Heat pick. He’s more athletic than most people realize, and while not fat, he’s also not in Heat shape. Edey at 280 would still be a giant, but shedding 20 pounds would improve all his agility aspects. The Heat as we all know suffered from lack of rebounding, offensive rebounding, rim protection and easy buckets. He checks all those boxes. We had far too many empty possessions the past few years and Edey would give us easier two-point opportunities plus open up 3s with a much higher offensive-rebounding percentage with him underneath. – Brian, Fort Lauderdale.

A: But drafting Zach Edey, if he is there for the Heat, also has to factor in whether Erik Spoelstra would play two big men together, whether Bam Adebayo can increase his 3-point volume, and whether there is a Heat defensive system than can counter Edey’s limited mobility, no matter his playing weight.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
From the Fort Lauderdale newspaper column Ask Ira :

Q: Sure hope Zach Edey’s there when the Heat pick. He’s more athletic than most people realize, and while not fat, he’s also not in Heat shape. Edey at 280 would still be a giant, but shedding 20 pounds would improve all his agility aspects. The Heat as we all know suffered from lack of rebounding, offensive rebounding, rim protection and easy buckets. He checks all those boxes. We had far too many empty possessions the past few years and Edey would give us easier two-point opportunities plus open up 3s with a much higher offensive-rebounding percentage with him underneath. – Brian, Fort Lauderdale.

A: But drafting Zach Edey, if he is there for the Heat, also has to factor in whether Erik Spoelstra would play two big men together, whether Bam Adebayo can increase his 3-point volume, and whether there is a Heat defensive system than can counter Edey’s limited mobility, no matter his playing weight.
I'd be really surprised if Zach could cut even 15 pounds (5%) in body fat. I do expect that Zach's mobility will continue to improve

I want to see him go to San Antonio because 8li think it'd be hilarious. Watching a Wemby/Edey pick and roll. But I think he will get shoved to the side by NBA coaches because they are scared to go against the grain of today's style.

I want to see him go to San Antonio because 8li think it'd be hilarious. Watching a Wemby/Edey pick and roll. But I think he will get shoved to the side by NBA coaches because they are scared to go against the grain of today's style.
San Antonio would be a great match. He could learn from Tim Duncan and be coached by Pop. And Edey and Wemby would be amazing at the 4 and 5…wouldn’t need to worry about the “ bad PnR defense” by edey cuz Wemby would be there at the rim to protect.

I think if spurs had picks outside the top 10 they would be going for it but at 4 and 8…nah. Unless they trade back.

I'd be really surprised if Zach could cut even 15 pounds (5%) in body fat. I do expect that Zach's mobility will continue to improve
Not fat, he’s also not in heat shape.” That’s comical, obviously didn’t watch much as he was playing 35-40 minutes a game. He is unlikely to lose much if any weight and it’s not necessarily needed for him to get quicker.

Not fat, he’s also not in heat shape.” That’s comical, obviously didn’t watch much as he was playing 35-40 minutes a game. He is unlikely to lose much if any weight and it’s not necessarily needed for him to get quicker.
If anything, Clingan needs to lose some weight, since Zach was more athletic and quicker than him in practically (if not all) combine events

Reactions: northside100
San Antonio would be a great match. He could learn from Tim Duncan and be coached by Pop. And Edey and Wemby would be amazing at the 4 and 5…wouldn’t need to worry about the “ bad PnR defense” by edey cuz Wemby would be there at the rim to protect.

I think if spurs had picks outside the top 10 they would be going for it but at 4 and 8…nah. Unless they trade back.
Edey is worth #8 in this draft.

Reactions: dumpsterFyre
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT