ADVERTISEMENT

Mason's legacy

Schmedly_Whiplash

Sophomore
Nov 5, 2022
I just saw a pic of Mason with other Dukie's and I'm realizing that if they are successful it's going to be "natural" to not like him too much. I'm happy he's getting paid and thrilled that he gets a shot at being more involved offensively than he was here. (maybe)
But I can't help but think that he's trashed his legacy with a lot of fans (or will in time) as far as his place in the winningest class of all time (Boilers).
And that seems like a real shame. I don't think for a minute that the coaches and players will do that, they clearly don't with others that have already taken that path.
But we fans aren't so charitable or accepting I think.
Myself, he's been one of my favorite blue collar Boilers of all time. With him choosing to play elsewhere, does that take some shine off??? Time will tell.
But I expect a few curse outs Mason's way if he has a decent season.
JMO

• Haha
Reactions: pboiler18
I just saw a pic of Mason with other Dukie's and I'm realizing that if they are successful it's going to be "natural" to not like him too much. I'm happy he's getting paid and thrilled that he gets a shot at being more involved offensively than he was here. (maybe)
But I can't help but think that he's trashed his legacy with a lot of fans (or will in time) as far as his place in the winningest class of all time (Boilers).
And that seems like a real shame. I don't think for a minute that the coaches and players will do that, they clearly don't with others that have already taken that path.
Myself, he's been one of my favorite blue collar Boilers of all time. With him choosing to play elsewhere, does that take some shine off??? Time will tell.
JMO
He didnt have a scholarship here at the time. Duke threw $$$ at him. Let him go. His legacy here is great and I imagine most fans will be incredibly supportive until they play us. Even if they play us Indont think anybody will be as butt hurt about it as you are.

It’s a win/win in my opinion. He gets paid and likely gets more playing time there than he would here. It allows us to get our young guys more time at the 3-4 positions and set us up for a 2025/2026 run.

Let it go. Be happy for the guy.

JMO
I wish Mason only the best and I'm happy he landed where he wanted. I'll be rooting for him unless Purdue plays Duke.

He's a Boiler. It was a mutual split in this weird Covid era for someone who spent 5yrs on campus and earned a Masters Degree.

Now if Duke knocks Purdue out in March that's a conversation for another day.

I personally think it was time for Purdue to let some new guys carve out roles in the post Edey era.

JMO
What a weird post. If it weren’t for Covid, he’d be done with college bball.

He’s a boilermaker through and through and I will never “curse” him out. I hope he is first team all ACC. I hope he wins the acc regular season, tournament and gets to a final four and wins a natty (if we don’t that is 😂).

But, it was time for all involved to move on.

I will always have a Smile on my face when thinking about Gillis's play.

That is unless somehow we end up playing Duke in the NCAAT.

I wish him well. He’s eat my respect.

I wonder how the fans on this forum would react if Edey had decided to stay in college for another year but decided to transfer to another school much like Dickinson did!

Would you all hate Edey if he decided to transferr to Duke or Kentucky?

I wonder how the fans on this forum would react if Edey had decided to stay in college for another year but decided to transfer to another school much like Dickinson did!

Nope not at all. I would wish him well…if not for Covid year, this wouldn’t even be a thing.

Reactions: Professor Emeritus
What a weird post. If it weren’t for Covid, he’d be done with college bball.

He’s a boilermaker through and through and I will never “curse” him out. I hope he is first team all ACC. I hope he wins the acc regular season, tournament and gets to a final four and wins a natty (if we don’t that is 😂).

But, it was time for all involved to move on.
Shmedly is weird to begin with, so not surprising he has an odd take on Gillis.

Who here wouldn't take 6 figures to go play 1 year at a school like Duke?

Shmedly is weird to begin with, so not surprising he has an odd take on Gillis.

Who here wouldn't take 6 figures to go play 1 year at a school like Duke?
Agreed. Especially when it is your sixth year of college and your dream school. And a great atmosphere for college bball, as well as a great degree. Mason ain’t not dummy…he’s a smart kid.

Reactions: bonefish1 and DrEss
Gillis would have to go to great lengths to trash his Purdue legacy.

He would have to whine like Wojo and Collins, flop like Paulus, trip like Allen, stomp like Laettner, AND turn into a completely pedantic Duke nerd to sully what he did in West Lafayette.

Mason Gillis is the embodiment of Purdue basketball. He is a very good student, worked so hard to overcome injury, sacrificed in various ways for the good of the team every season, and improved greatly as a player and more so as a human being, particularly after a significant lapse in judgment.

His leadership will be missed. I wish Mason nothing the best so long as, to paraphrase Vito Corleone, his interests don't conflict with ours.

JMO
One of my all-time favorites, too. I hope he does well. But for me, if Duke plays Purdue, I definitely won't want him to have a good game. But I will have a really hard time booing him like I would a Ronnie Johnson.

Agreed. Especially when it is your sixth year of college and your dream school. And a great atmosphere for college bball, as well as a great degree. Mason ain’t not dummy…he’s a smart kid.
I agree that he ain't not dummy. ;)

Maybe it's like your kid decides to go to IU because of his major (horror of horrors!). You want your kid to do well, but your still going to root against IU in everything else.

Good question. What if he transferred within the Big Ten?

Good question. What if he transferred within the Big Ten?
Edey had a year left. and could have made a nice chunk of money from the NIL from some school. Who would have thought Dickinson would have left Michigan for Kansas ? Strange things do happen when money becomes involved.

I still remember posters here got upset when ivey and Edwards left for the NBA early rather than staying to win a championship.

my wife got her Biology degree from Purdue and then got her Doctorate from IU.

i guess the reason you hate me so much is after getting my EE degree from Purdue , I further enhanced my knowledge with degrees from UTSA, USF and Georgia. I guess I should have been more loyal to Purdue and stayed here for 8 years.

Edey had a year left. and could have made a nice chunk of money from the NIL from some school. Who would have thought Dickinson would have left Michigan for Kansas ? Strange things do happen when money becomes involved.

I still remember posters here got upset when ivey and Edwards left for the NBA early rather than staying to win a championship.
Why would he come back for a ton less money and risk his future?

i guess the reason you hate me so much is after getting my EE degree from Purdue , I further enhanced my knowledge with degrees from UTSA, USF and Georgia. I guess I should have been more loyal to Purdue and stayed here for 8 years.
No one hates you. I think your choice of words about Purdue education weren’t well thought out.

He didnt have a scholarship here at the time. Duke threw $$$ at him. Let him go. His legacy here is great and I imagine most fans will be incredibly supportive until they play us. Even if they play us Indont think anybody will be as butt hurt about it as you are.

It’s a win/win in my opinion. He gets paid and likely gets more playing time there than he would here. It allows us to get our young guys more time at the 3-4 positions and set us up for a 2025/2026 run.

Let it go. Be happy for the guy.
I can assure you my butt is just fine.

I hope you're all right but I suspect you're not if Duke does well.
I really don’t care how Duke does. They’ll def. be fun to watch with multiple 2025 projected nba first rounders—potentially 3 in the lotto…I think it’s at least 4 overall? Mason surrounding himself with lotto picks yet again…told ya he was smart.

I hope you're all right but I suspect you're not if Duke does well.
Why would we care? Duke generally does well every year.

If they do well this year Mason will be a piece of the puzzle and not the sole cause…just like he was here.

I hope they do well. Just not better than us. And if they are better than us…oh well. That stuff happens sometimes when you get the #1 HS player in the country.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
Why would we care? Duke generally does well every year.

If they do well this year Mason will be a piece of the puzzle and not the sole cause…just like he was here.

I hope they do well. Just not better than us. And if they are better than us…oh well. That stuff happens sometimes when you get the #1 HS player in the country.
/projected number 1 overall pick.

Mason will protect him haha

Who are you talking to?

Reactions: cjcollie

Edey got over $1M from Purdue. How much more was he going to get transferring?

And wasn't he the highest paid player in NCAA men's basketball? No one was going high enough to lure him from Purdue. No one but the NBA.
Also Zach doesn’t seem like the kid who would just chase money. He loved Purdue and the staff because they believed in him when no one else really did. He appreciated that and appreciates the same with the grizzlies drafting him 9th overall…although that may change a bit when he realizes pro sports are a business. Hope they doesn’t happen to him!

Love Gillis. He was/is one of my favorite Boilers. However, I will never hope for a Duke win for MANY reasons. Hope Mason has a great season himself, but would be just fine with Duke having a terrible season. If I were to ever bump into him in the future, the first question I would ask him would be which arena did he enjoy playing in the most, Mackey or Cameron. I've never been to a game at Cameron, but I would think they would have to make up for it's small size.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT