ADVERTISEMENT

Marshall Game - Ellis not playing tonight due to her shoulder

After 1Q 25-11. Purdue hitting threes 5/9 and 8/15 overall. Purdue has taken away the ball repeatedly and is dominating in rebounds. Only 4/8 at the FT line.

Last edited:
Marshall cuts Purdue’s 14 pt lead in half 28-21 with 6:39 left in the 2nd Q. Purdue’s shooting has gone cold and at least one really terrible charging foul called against us.

Purdue has a poor 2nd Q and its lead is only 4 at half 37-34. Shooting went cold 4/14 and Marshall finished on 7 pt run. Outscored in 2nd Q 12-23. Post defense disappeared for us. Hardin has now hit 3x3PT shots but is only 3/8. We definitely miss Abbey Ellis.

Points in the paint in the first half favored Marshall 20-8, mostly from drives to the basket.

Last edited:
Reactions: JeffBoiler
Half way through the 3rdQ and Purdue’s lead continues tenuous at 51-47. Purdue has never trailed but Marshall has drawn to 1 pt failing to go ahead. Both teams are shooting well but Purdue unable to defend.

Man, Harper has hit two 3Pt shots. What a weapon if she can continue to down those.
Having your center shooting a lot of threes unless she shoots 50% is not a winning strategy IMHO, you aren't pressuring their inside defense, not in position for offensive boards and not drawing fouls. An exclusively jump shooting team will always be an inconsistent team depending on IF the shots are falling that night.

Having your center shooting a lot of threes unless she shoots 50% is not a winning strategy IMHO, you aren't pressuring their inside defense, not in position for offensive boards and not drawing fouls. An exclusively jump shooting team will always be an inconsistent team depending on IF the shots are falling that night.
Stretches the D when you have your center able to do it. No? And so far she has hit 50%.

Reactions: Russ Ford
After 3Q, Purdue 58-53. ROshawa Scott for the Thundering Herd is really their only consistent scorer - 20 pts so far. Purdue has been unable to stop her.

Stretches the D when you have your center able to do it. No? And so far she has hit 50%.
If she can't hit at least 40% you just let her take them and pack the D into the paint to overload to get the rebounds. Marshall outscored Purdue 20-8 at one point in the paint with our center playing on the perimeter.

5:40 left in 4th Q - Purdue by 5 at 62-57. But Harper now sitting on the bench with 4 fouls and we can little afford that.

5:40 left in 4th Q - Purdue by 5 at 62-57. But Harper now sitting on the bench with 4 fouls and we can little afford that.
Petree with 4 fouls, not Harper.... and for all the talk of us having depth this year, we are only going to play 7 players meaningful minutes this game. Hardin once again shooting only threes and not hitting enough of her attempts to justify. her minutes. I also don't like Layden playing at the top of the offense setting the table for others instead of being the primary offensive threat.

Terry comes up with some clutch shots and assists (9 so far) and Purdue is in control 70-60 with 42.6 secs to play.

Purdue leads start to finish winning 73-61. The actual game was closer. Used only 7 players. Petree fouled out in the final seconds. Terry had some clutch baskets and assists and scoring was very even - Harper leading with 17 pts.

Reactions: JeffBoiler
Final 73-61 Purdue, Petree fouled out. Five Purdue players got double digit shot attempts, 4 of them scored in double digits. Terry and Smith easily the best back court players for Purdue, Terry got the 5th ever double double in BT women's history without getting double digit points. Some good in this game and a lot more questions than answers being challenged for 3 quarters by supposedly the 10th best team in the Sun Belt this season.

Reactions: DocRon
Purdue leads start to finish winning 73-61. The actual game was closer. Used only 7 players. Petree fouled out in the final seconds. Terry had some clutch baskets and assists and scoring was very even - Harper leading with 17 pts.

Correction, Purdue used 8 players, but only 6 got meaningful minutes, LEarn with only 5 minutes and Woltman with 9 and neither contributed anything but 2 rebounds each in their few minutes played.
Ellis when healthy will give the ladies 9 players that log minutes, looks like the Frosh aren’t ready yet. I agree about Hardin, she needs to be a 10-15 minute max player.

Petree with 4 fouls, not Harper.... and for all the talk of us having depth this year, we are only going to play 7 players meaningful minutes this game. Hardin once again shooting only threes and not hitting enough of her attempts to justify. her minutes. I also don't like Layden playing at the top of the offense setting the table for others instead of being the primary offensive threat.
Thanks for pointing out my error re Harper/Petree.

BTW, Harper made 66.7% of her 3PT shots. :)

Oh Goodgrief she's not going to shoot many 3's. But it's nice to know she has the range to hit 3's

Thanks for pointing out my error re Harper/Petree.

BTW, Harper made 66.7% of her 3PT shots. :)
And all in the first half, second half she was staying in the paint and we ended up winning the battle in the paint scoring after being down 20-8... Flat out of this is our strategy for the BT, we won't do as well as last year IMHO. It won't stretch the D, they'll just let her jack them up, same as teams did with Meadows 20 years ago.

Last edited:
I think Jayla had her best game for Purdue tonight. She's the reason they won that game imho. She really stood out and was the best player on the floor.
Smith was certainly one of the best, but I don't think you appreciate how special Terry's game was tonight. Definitely agree with it being Smiths best game of her career.

Smith was certainly one of the best, but I don't think you appreciate how special Terry's game was tonight. Definitely agree with it being Smiths best game of her career.
I agree Terry was great as well tonight. I just thought this may have been a sorta coming out party for Jayla tonight. The young sophomore putting the game on her shoulders.

In looking back on the game, you have to credit Coach Gearlds for adjustment to shut down Roshala Scott in the 4th Q. She had 18 pts coiming into the quarter but only scored one early-in-the-quarter two pt basket over the last 10 mins and none in the final minutes when Purdue pulled away.

Reactions: MichaelRR
Final 73-61 Purdue, Petree fouled out. Five Purdue players got double digit shot attempts, 4 of them scored in double digits. Terry and Smith easily the best back court players for Purdue, Terry got the 5th ever double double in BT women's history without getting double digit points. Some good in this game and a lot more questions than answers being challenged for 3 quarters by supposedly the 10th best team in the Sun Belt this season.
No one knows how good Marshall is (including me) since the team is completely revamped with almost no players left from last year’s squad. We will see.

While I also find Hardin’s streaky shooting frustrating, I give her credit for excellent defense in the 2nd half while not even attempting a shot.

While I also find Hardin’s streaky shooting frustrating, I give her credit for excellent defense in the 2nd half while not even attempting a shot.

I agree Terry was great as well tonight. I just thought this may have been a sorta coming out party for Jayla tonight. The young sophomore putting the game on her shoulders.
This is just the beginning for Jayla. I'm hoping the confidence she gained from this performance to carry over to the next game and beyond. She's a special player who is just beginning to show what she is capable of.

I was not able to watch or listen to the game, but noticed that Learn only got 5 minutes of PT, while Hardin got 38 minutes, max for the team. Based on last year, I was expecting a bigger role for Ava, even with the transfers taking front court minutes, allowing Ava to play more of a wing position. Anyone closer to the program with insight into Ava’s role this year?

I was not able to watch or listen to the game, but noticed that Learn only got 5 minutes of PT, while Hardin got 38 minutes, max for the team. Based on last year, I was expecting a bigger role for Ava, even with the transfers taking front court minutes, allowing Ava to play more of a wing position. Anyone closer to the program with insight into Ava’s role this year?
I think Hardin played more because we did not have Ellis. I was also surprised at the limited mins for Learn, especially since she seemed to bulk up a little. But I think Petree will now take some of her mins.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT