ADVERTISEMENT

Make or break season.

Wow, so you must think Fleck should be gone too.

Big Ten Record: 15-19
Bowl Games: 2
Bowl Wins: 2

Fans shouldn't support mediocrity like this!
Fact is, I'd take the Boatman over Brohm. How can you support Brohm's lack of accomplishments at your school? And he's simply become a more at risk hire the longer he's here. And Les nor Fleck should be a part of the conversation IMO.

My friend....overall. That means total. Yeah, Les was a bust in his last job. Brohm pretty much the same.
LSU and OSU don’t count. Everyone wins at those schools. Saban handed him a natty.

And he had to cheat to win at OSU.

So comparing their most recent jobs, how is 1-16 comparable to Brohm in any way?

Will you please explain this to me and everyone else on the forum?

Precisely what is it fans are doing/saying that leads you to believe they are "accepting 5-6 wins", and precisely what it is you believe they should be doing to (presumably) join you in not "accepting 5-6 wins"??
1z9up6.jpg

Reactions: DAG10
There's no doubt that Allen inherited a better overall roster than Brohm, but it is important to note that Brohm inherited a far better QB than did Allen. The difference between Richard Lagow and David Blough is enormous and at least part of the reason that Brohm had better earlier success.

My view is that Brohm will turn things around this year if he gets consistent QB play and stays healthy in the trenches.

Reactions: Matt Tiger
There's no doubt that Allen inherited a better overall roster than Brohm, but it is important to note that Brohm inherited a far better QB than did Allen. The difference between Richard Lagow and David Blough is enormous and at least part of the reason that Brohm had better earlier success.

My view is that Brohm will turn things around this year if he gets consistent QB play and stays healthy in the trenches.
Allen inherited Ramsey. Good qb who for some reason they kept trying to replace. Kid was a winner.

Allen inherited Ramsey. Good qb who for some reason they kept trying to replace. Kid was a winner.
I love Ramsey but as a freshman and sophomore, he wasn't the guy you saw the last two years. He struggled with turnovers and had trouble staying healthy. Allen was smart enough to replace Lagow with Ramsey in Ramsey's redshirt freshman season but Ramsey got hurt and it was Lagow who finished the season.

No doubt the seat is getting warmer. As others have eluded, he'll likely get both this year and most likely next to prove his last two years were blips on the radar to us fans. At this point, I'm in the questioning mode.
I'm not getting paid $4.9 Million to figure it out, but not happy with the last 2 seasons. There was literally no excuse to not do well after the Iowa win. Blame to Diaco and defense can only go so far. The buck stops with Brohm.
Unlike some posters on here, I'd be happy to at least see .500 this season and anything above that would be a cherry on the sundae. Go below .500 and the bottom is falling out. It is that simple and might be time to # crunch and go a different direction. It will cost a $15-16 million, but time is wasting if we continue to see losses piling and excuses to the media. Brohm can be a likable guy, but the time is now to show the results in a critical and pivotal year.

Reactions: purduepat1969
At this point, if we fire him, we look like a coaching graveyard.
I disagree. See what this season brings, if success, keep him as that is a no brainer.
Losing season, fire him. Replace with an up and comer with energy and use the Grad Transfer market and transfer portal (which I'm not a big fan of) as aggressively as possible. A .500 season and bowl is a real measuring stick. My loyalty is to Purdue not coaches making nearly $5M / Yr.

I disagree. See what this season brings, if success, keep him as that is a no brainer.
Losing season, fire him. Replace with an up and comer with energy and use the Grad Transfer market and transfer portal (which I'm not a big fan of) as aggressively as possible. A .500 season and bowl is a real measuring stick. My loyalty is to Purdue not coaches making nearly $5M / Yr.
Who are you gonna GET??!

TD, were you ever able to figure out how to articulate what it means for fans to be "accepting 5-6 wins", and/or what they need to do to demonstrate they're NOT "accepting 5-6 wins"?

I'm genuinely curious how this works.
Okay...one question. Will you be happy with 5 wins this year? Six? You're very vocal about keeping Brohm, so what would transition you to a "he needs to go now" PU fan? Do you care about wins? Losses? Would you and the others on here have the fortitude to contact the AD and express that disfavor?

Lol, some people already have season chalked up as a losing season. Why don't we wait and see, instead of anticipating a bad season and talking about what to do about it. Hate to have those people on my team in a sport.

Okay...one question. Will you be happy with 5 wins this year? Six? You're very vocal about keeping Brohm, so what would transition you to a "he needs to go now" PU fan? Do you care about wins? Losses? Would you and the others on here have the fortitude to contact the AD and express that disfavor?
You're trying to avoid answering the questions. You first ignored them, now you're deflecting. That doesn't work.

Address the questions:

Will you please explain this to me and everyone else on the forum?

Precisely what is it fans are doing/saying that leads you to believe they are "accepting 5-6 wins", and precisely what it is you believe they should be doing to (presumably) join you in not "accepting 5-6 wins"??

Reactions: Inspector100
You're trying to avoid answering the questions. You first ignored them, now you're deflecting. That doesn't work.

Address the questions:
Well I personally will accept 5 wins .. it’s a rough schedule and hiring Diaco/ignoring a lot of roster holes has led to a season where I think we can go 5-7 and have it be the kind of 5-7 that gives us hope for the future ..

Nebraska and Tennessee fans say the same thing when they fire their coaches every 3 to 4 years.
Hah. True, but doesn’t mean they don’t attract a ton of good candidates. The hard part is choosing the right one. It takes some luck and a good AD.

Nonsense. The Purdue job will be attractive to a young up-and-comer coach.
Ahh you’re almost there...

attractive to an up and comer who will STAY if he has a good year and becomes a hot commodity? No.

to an up and comer who will tell his agent to get him the f out of here if he has an 8-4 season? Sure.

• Wow
Reactions: Inspector100
Ahh you’re almost there...

attractive to an up and comer who will STAY if he has a good year and becomes a hot commodity? No.

to an up and comer who will tell his agent to get him the f out of here if he has an 8-4 season? Sure.
Did Jeff Brohm bail after one good year when he became a hot commodity?

Hah. True, but doesn’t mean they don’t attract a ton of good candidates. The hard part is choosing the right one. It takes some luck and a good AD.
Yep. Tennessee fans also ran Schiano out of town, because they didn't think he was a good coach. Rutgers currently has the 6th best 2022 recruiting class on 247, and Tennessee is still a dumpster fire.

Did Jeff Brohm bail after one good year when he became a hot commodity?
So you want another brohm? I thought you meant a young guy who comes in here and gets way more than Tennessee wanting him with a 6-6 season ...

I was only ever excited that brohm could build us long term not that we’d have great progress in year 2..

He benefitted from what I call “the things that the fired coach could do that you can’t do.”

well “what does that mean?” Hazell .. as shitty as he was, got us a Jim tressel tough defensive line by the time he left. I saw no evidence that brohm could replicate that in the short term .. long term with high level recruits? Sure. Short term, no.

Reactions: TwinDegrees2
So you want another brohm? I thought you meant a young guy who comes in here and gets way more than Tennessee wanting him with a 6-6 season ...

I was only ever excited that brohm could build us long term not that we’d have great progress in year 2..

He benefitted from what I call “the things that the fired coach could do that you can’t do.”

well “what does that mean?” Hazell .. as shitty as he was, got us a Jim tressel tough defensive line by the time he left. I saw no evidence that brohm could replicate that in the short term .. long term with high level recruits? Sure. Short term, no.
Re that defensive line, one of them was a hope recruit and brohmmoved Robinson into his correct position. The depth was paper thin too.

Re that defensive line, one of them was a hope recruit and brohmmoved Robinson into his correct position. The depth was paper thin too.
And that’s still better than than the shit we saw when those guys graduated.

brohm is only now hitting the transfer market like he should have been then. They should have been camped out at southern New Mexico Wesleyan looking for a grad transfer or two right after the Santa Clara bowl

Reactions: DAG10
And that’s still better than than the shit we saw when those guys graduated.

brohm is only now hitting the transfer market like he should have been then. They should have been camped out at southern New Mexico Wesleyan looking for a grad transfer or two right after the Santa Clara bowl

he’s hit the transfer market the whole time. Also, just because someone is available doesn’t mean they are worth recruiting or a fit.

he’s hit the transfer market the whole time. Also, just because someone is available doesn’t mean they are worth recruiting or a fit.
He’s hit it the entire time like this offseason? I don’t think so. Also, hitting the market doesn’t mean closing the sale. I’d say that this off-season, his transfer recruiting has finally come in line with his regular recruiting.

although the regular recruiting may take a hit now that we’ve lost for a few years and Hodges is gone

He’s hit it the entire time like this offseason? I don’t think so. Also, hitting the market doesn’t mean closing the sale. I’d say that this off-season, his transfer recruiting has finally come in line with his regular recruiting.

although the regular recruiting may take a hit now that we’ve lost for a few years and Hodges is gone
Look at the number of grad transfers he has brought in. Every year he has added at least one.

this year is unprecedented in the transfer market for all teams.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT