ADVERTISEMENT

Make or break season.

Level 42

Senior
Jan 9, 2020
For me this is Brohm's make or break season and whether we should cut him loose or not. I am still on his side and think he can turn things around, but another crappy season and all excuses are out the window.

There is enough talent on the roster to at least get enough wins to make a bowl game and barring any significant injuries, uninspired football and a losing record would be the final straw. As I said I am still in Brohm's corner because he has shown he can do it, we just need to see it.

There are legit concerns going in to the next season because the explosive offense seemed to disappear and the whole defense debacle. I can stomach a crappy defense this year but the offense needs to get back to it's high scoring ways.

His buyout is big enough that i doubt he is canned this season. It would take a massive meltdown.

Reactions: Indy_Rider
For me this is Brohm's make or break season and whether we should cut him loose or not. I am still on his side and think he can turn things around, but another crappy season and all excuses are out the window.

There is enough talent on the roster to at least get enough wins to make a bowl game and barring any significant injuries, uninspired football and a losing record would be the final straw. As I said I am still in Brohm's corner because he has shown he can do it, we just need to see it.

There are legit concerns going in to the next season because the explosive offense seemed to disappear and the whole defense debacle. I can stomach a crappy defense this year but the offense needs to get back to it's high scoring ways.
Who are you replacing him with ?

Reactions: BCfanatic2020
His buyout is big enough that i doubt he is canned this season. It would take a massive meltdown.
Agree. Which to me that is 5 wins or less if I am honest and I would think the admin would have to find a way if it gets that bad. If not, then even the next season would be a huge debacle with no fans in the stands.

I want Brohm to succeed. But I have a lot of doubt after the past 2 seasons. Hopefully we won't have to replace him.

Reactions: BBG and Level 42
Agree. Which to me that is 5 wins or less if I am honest and I would think the admin would have to find a way if it gets that bad. If not, then even the next season would be a huge debacle with no fans in the stands.
Taking a quote from the old Al Davis page,"Just win Baby!" Nothing more needs to be said. Get a bowl and he stays. Underachieve, then it is time to ask serious questions with the level being paid. Better have a winning non-conference record or the slope gets slippery. I'll be honest, I'm tired of last 2 seasons, excuses and poor performances.
Do I believe it can change with the coaches brought in? Yes, the defense should improve.
Do I believe they can make a bowl? Yes, their is enough talent remaining to do so.
Will they do it? Dunno, not sure how the team Chemistry is. Also, will Brohm will get back to using calculated risks for success and knowing when to take 3 points vs 0 points. I think our special teams REALLY needs to step up and perform at average to above average levels or it will be the achilles heal for a botched season. I hope I emphasized really in the most appropriate way possible. They have played at piss poor loser levels since Coach Tony Levine left Purdue. I wish Purdue would hire him as a working from home consultant and zoom in meetings with coaches and players. He was that damn good.

Last edited:
Taking a quote from the old Al Davis page,"Just win Baby!" Nothing more needs to be said. Get a bowl and he stays. Underachieve, then it is time to ask serious questions with the level being paid. Better have a winning non-conference record or the slope gets slippery.

Yep. Just win. I could care less about spring games, his handling of the media, etc etc.

Win, and all else will take care of itself.

5 wins isnt catastrophe. 2 wins is a catastrophe. If he wins 3 or 4, id look for staff changes on offense to be "suggested" by the AD.

5 wins isnt catastrophe. 2 wins is a catastrophe. If he wins 3 or 4, id look for staff changes on offense to be "suggested" by the AD.
Fair enough but to me it would be especially with the post-season drought we would be in. And while I am not suggesting we are a national title contender every year, going to a bowl game should be a reasonable expectation.

Fair enough but to me it would be especially with the post-season drought we would be in. And while I am not suggesting we are a national title contender every year, going to a bowl game should be a reasonable expectation.
Yeah, i think a reasonable expectation would be a bowl 2 out of 3 years. The program was in such a bad spot when he took over (despite a couple morons who think otherwise) that we are just now getting a reasonable number of his players become upperclassmen.

I added an edit to my previous comment. Special Teams can make or break a couple of games. I don't like hearing that Field Goal team is not doing well and they are still looking for Punter to emerge. That is two or more games by having solid field position vs punts blocked or shank for poor position. I hope post practice media conf calls were more of a poker bluff than a crappy hand so to speak.
Coming right out of the gate with Oregon State and having ND on the schedule will have to find a way to win or worst case split to get going in the right direction.

Reactions: Level 42

Yes, I think that is fair. If you fire Brohm at the end of this season, then I imagine a lot of players will transfer. I think there are enough signs the program is heading in the right direction. Brohm brought in Alaimo and has Allen as a commitment at QB, which are upgrades to the previous recruits. The offensive line recruiting is improving.

The new defensive staff is on its first year and the special teams coach is only on his second year. I think Purdue needs some stability, and I am willing to be patient. The Big Ten West is tougher than many people think, and every team in the division seems to be improving along with Purdue. Also, the transfer rule and extra year of eligibility will allow Brohm to plug any holes from the weaker 2021 and 2022 classes. I don't think it would be prudent to start from scratch at this juncture.

I added an edit to my previous comment. Special Teams can make or break a couple of games. I don't like hearing that Field Goal team is not doing well and they are still looking for Punter to emerge. That is two or more games by having solid field position vs punts blocked or shank for poor position. I hope post practice media conf calls were more of a poker bluff than a crappy hand so to speak.
Coming right out of the gate with Oregon State and having ND on the schedule will have to find a way to win or worst case split to get going in the right direction.

I don't think Ansell has practiced yet, and he will get an opportunity to win the punting role. I don't know what advantage bluffing about Purdue's kicking and punting situation gets you, so I think the concerns are genuine.

I don't think Ansell has practiced yet, and he will get an opportunity to win the punting role. I don't know what advantage bluffing about Purdue's kicking and punting situation gets you, so I think the concerns are genuine.
Ansell wont be on campus until this summer. Its his to lose.

Coaches speak cautiously all the time. Heck, Lou Holtz was going to lose every game in '88 on his way to a National Championship in his weekly words to the media.

He's paid way too much for the minuscule results. If this team fails to win at least seven this year, pay his buyout and help him pack his suit case. JMHO How many on here believe he's even close to Allen at IU?

He's paid way too much for the minuscule results. If this team fails to win at least seven this year, pay his buyout and help him pack his suit case. JMHO How many on here believe he's even close to Allen at IU?
Allen inherited a better program and has a losing record head to head.

Also, NFW purdue pays 20M coming off a pandemic year.

Reactions: Indy_Rider
Yes, I think that is fair. If you fire Brohm at the end of this season, then I imagine a lot of players will transfer. I think there are enough signs the program is heading in the right direction. Brohm brought in Alaimo and has Allen as a commitment at QB, which are upgrades to the previous recruits. The offensive line recruiting is improving.

The new defensive staff is on its first year and the special teams coach is only on his second year. I think Purdue needs some stability, and I am willing to be patient. The Big Ten West is tougher than many people think, and every team in the division seems to be improving along with Purdue. Also, the transfer rule and extra year of eligibility will allow Brohm to plug any holes from the weaker 2021 and 2022 classes. I don't think it would be prudent to start from scratch at this juncture.
If the team struggles again this fall, the ensuing "program correction" should depend on the specific reasons behind the struggles. For most of those reasons, firing Brohm would be too drastic of a move, if for no other reason than it would tank the talent pool again for several years.

For many other reasons, lack of positional development, strength and conditioning, etc., there are discrete actions that can be taken to tune up the program without ravaging any progress of the past 4 years. You can throw a lot of money to address these specific problems for more ROI than the Brohm buyout. Whether it is adding a layer of administration, upgrading staff, whatever.

My guess is, if this season is a failure, it will be due to underperforming and undersize big uglies, insufficient physical development. Sweeping changes in the S&C program may be in order.

Allen inherited a better program and has a losing record head to head.

Also, NFW purdue pays 20M coming off a pandemic year.
So, like that lemon YUGO your bought with no warranty, you just keep putting money into it even though it's junk. Nat...I know you support the guy, but when is enough...enough?

And maybe, if he changes coaches enough he might win 6.

So, like that lemon YUGO your bought with no warranty, you just keep putting money into it even though it's junk. Nat...I know you support the guy, but when is enough...enough?

And maybe, if he changes coaches enough he might win 6.
Support has nothing to do with it. The financial realities of Purdue Sports and the ability to fund the buyout. That and common sense.

Les deserved to be fired...on results alone. Brohm should be gone by now too. JMO But you have to give him credit for being the Little Arch of Purdue.
Brohm shouldn't be fired at this point. However, this season and next will determine his fate. IMHO, if he has anything less than 6 wins this season, the fan base will be calling for his head, regardless of what he inherited vs other schools. That doesn't mean Purdue will do anything this year. It would likely be after the 2022 season if he fails to generate some success. The school made some pretty sizeable investments in both his pay/retention bonus relative to other B1G coaches and infrastructure. Losing the fan base after this season would not be a good look for he or Bobinski...

Reactions: BBG
Brohm shouldn't be fired at this point. However, this season and next will determine his fate. IMHO, if he has anything less than 6 wins this season, the fan base will be calling for his head, regardless of what he inherited vs other schools. That doesn't mean Purdue will do anything this year. It would likely be after the 2022 season if he fails to generate some success. The school made some pretty sizeable investments in both his pay/retention bonus relative to other B1G coaches and infrastructure. Losing the fan base after this season would not be a good look for he or Bobinski...
Pat, would you honestly be happy with just six wins after all this time here? His teams have done nothing but regress in my opinion

Pat, would you honestly be happy with just six wins after all this time here? His teams have done nothing but regress in my opinion
Never said I would be happy with it. I said the fan base would be calling for his head. When I look at the schedule and what he's done this far, I have my doubts he'll hit six wins. I hope I'm wrong. I'd like nothing better than for him to turn things around.

I'd like nothing better than for him to turn things around.
I have little doubt this is the sentiment of the entire fanbase. I would much rather have our current coach be super successful than have to get a new one every 4 years. We've seen the dumpster fire that can create at other schools.

Reactions: purduepat1969
I have little doubt this is the sentiment of the entire fanbase. I would much rather have our current coach be super successful than have to get a new one every 4 years. We've seen the dumpster fire that can create at other schools.
Absolutely. Who the heck wants to go thru a 4 to 5 year rebuilding process every 4 to 5 years?

Reactions: Level 42
He was the Master of "Woe is us".
IIRC, I remember Lou convincing the media that the Navy midshipmen were much better than they appear on paper and said something to the affect that ND could lose to them. Result 22-7 win late in the season.
I did peak at the schedule and sadly, Purdue was throttled 52-7 that season making it ND's largest margin of victory that year. Was glad that Joe Tiller came to town in '97 and turned that around and beat and throttled them. He was about 50-50 against ND and openly spoke of his disdain for them during prep week for ND. Sorry, I digressed, but liked the fact that a Catholic young boy grew up a man to coach and despise their arrogance.

Back to subject at hand, with as much as our coach is careful to not tip his hand, I do hope that our Special Teams will not be as under performing as he has talked about. Painful to see another 5-7 / 4-8 or worse season.

While I would wish for an Purdue to be an upper tier football school, I'm being realistic and hope we can be near mid-pack, beat I.U. and go bowling. That is setting the expectation bar high enough to stretch and hopefully achieve. End a losing streak to either ND at 7 losses or WI at 14 losses would be cherry on the top of the sundae.
I don't expect a W against either FWIW. I just hope we compete till the end, keep it close, and make a play to get a W against one of those two teams.

• 6 months from now we'll have a good idea if we are trending up, down, or even W/L.
  • 7 months from now, we'll know if off season adjustments were good enough or how hot that seat will be.
  • 8 months from now, we either beat IU & go bowling or are mad & waiting for basketball season.
"Woe is us" to be waiting. ;)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT