ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Spring Portal Tracker

Just make it a two for one special tonight. Any idea on how the bass visit went dub?

None of the ones theyre going after look like top tier talent. But the speed of everything makes me think they arent grasping at anything that moves and it’s more targeted.
Bass is taking an overnight. Should be there now, will leave tomorrow.

Reactions: BoilerRingside
Purdue is in the unofficial top four for Bass, who is still considering Marquette, Iowa State and Mississippi State.

I wouldn’t expect a commitment until those visits are completed. (I do not know when those are).

Purdue is in the unofficial top four for Bass, who is still considering Marquette, Iowa State and Mississippi State.

I wouldn’t expect a commitment until those visits are completed. (I do not know when those are).
That must mean the other bat signal is likely Petree. Specialty player, hopefully, a wing that can score and a big like Bass are brought in.

There hasn’t been much buzz on her of late, but I don’t think you can rule out Nani Falatea just yet as well. (BYU transfer guard)

With highly-ranked Gordon and Reynolds slated to arrive soon, I had hoped for higher impact transfers, but it unfortunately doesn't seem likely this year. How many years before we can actually see an uptick in our program? Years 1 and 2 under Gearlds looked promising, but with the significant back-step this year, I'm not quite as optimistic. Few more low-performing years and we won't be in the conversation for those high ranked HS'ers either.

With highly-ranked Gordon and Reynolds slated to arrive soon, I had hoped for higher impact transfers, but it unfortunately doesn't seem likely this year. How many years before we can actually see an uptick in our program? Years 1 and 2 under Gearlds looked promising, but with the significant back-step this year, I'm not quite as optimistic. Few more low-performing years and we won't be in the conversation for those high ranked HS'ers either.
Purdue is looking for the likes of Amiyah Reynolds, Mary Ashley Stevenson, Sophie Swanson and Rashunda Jones to be the leaders on the court next year.

Transfers being brought in are for more complimentary roles than overtaking the young core.

Reactions: Russ Ford
Purdue is looking for the likes of Amiyah Reynolds, Mary Ashley Stevenson, Sophie Swanson and Rashunda Jones to be the leaders on the court next year.

Transfers being brought in are for more complimentary roles than overtaking the young core.
In that case, it may be another rough year.

Makes sense for continuing to grow this 23' class but giving them some depth/experience to lean on. Bass would seem to be the only real big difference maker they are looking at currently while they sprinkle in these complimentary pieces as mentioned.

Reactions: DubJellison
Makes sense for continuing to grow this 23' class but giving them some depth/experience to lean on. Bass would seem to be the only real big difference maker they are looking at currently while they sprinkle in these complimentary pieces as mentioned.
Right on the money.

In that case, it may be another rough year.
There are alot of Big Ten teams that lose alot this offseason, so while it may seem like we haven't added a bunch of talent, many of these big ten teams won't be as good as this prior year. Don't forget that although Amiyah is a freshman, she's been able to practice a bunch already with the team and could very well be our best player by the end of next season.. she'll be our best "addition" for next season.

Reactions: Gesysp
There are alot of Big Ten teams that lose alot this offseason, so while it may seem like we haven't added a bunch of talent, many of these big ten teams won't be as good as this prior year. Don't forget that although Amiyah is a freshman, she's been able to practice a bunch already with the team and could very well be our best player by the end of next season.. she'll be our best "addition" for next season.
According to an interview with KG before the BTT Amiyah has only been running the practice team, she hasn't gotten any practice on Purdue's offense or defensive sets. Not sure if that will be much help for next season.

Reactions: tomgloe
Definitely looking forward to seeing what Amiyah brings next year.

Reactions: tomgloe
According to an interview with KG before the BTT Amiyah has only been running the practice team, she hasn't gotten any practice on Purdue's offense or defensive sets. Not sure if that will be much help for next season.
It's gotta help some just being able to practice against other college players. What I meant was she should be more prepared to come in and contribute right away unlike a regular freshman. CKG gushed about her everytime she was brought up, and I don't think it was just coach speak.

If we wanted a difference maker, Reagan Beers from OSU is in the portal. But I am guessing I have a better chance in the lottery than Gearlds has of landing her.

It's gotta help some just being able to practice against other college players. What I meant was she should be more prepared to come in and contribute right away unlike a regular freshman. CKG gushed about her everytime she was brought up, and I don't think it was just coach speak.
CKG gushes about Smith all the time as well, despite her on court results. I feel CKG may be overly enamored with athleticism and expects basketball skills just automatically appear, since she lacked the former as a player and the latter came easy to her.

Someone asked how long should we have to wait to see results from hiring CKG? I have said from the start that A) you have to give a new coach 5 years to evaluate them and B) her chances of success coming in from where she did were in the range of winning the Powerball odds. To her credit CKG is far ahead of where I expected in high school recruiting, and that is showing a lot of promise to be an upper half BT team in 2-3 years if we don't screw up team chemistry from marginal portal kids. In game coaching? I give CKG a D. I don't feel she game plans well and is even worse in in-game adjustments. Third main coaching skill is player development. She gets an I right now as only 4 players have completed 3 years under her tutelage. I don't want to form a firm judgement off of that sample, BUT none of the 4 have improved since her first year here, and in fact 2-3 of the 4 regressed last season to have one of their worst years here. If this is in fact who CKG is as a coach, we likely have already seen her high water mark and seasons going forward will continue to get progressively worse. This is why no AD that cares even a little about their program would hire an NAIA coach with not one day of D1 coachign experience.

Reactions: Brya31
CKG gushes about Smith all the time as well, despite her on court results. I feel CKG may be overly enamored with athleticism and expects basketball skills just automatically appear, since she lacked the former as a player and the latter came easy to her.

Someone asked how long should we have to wait to see results from hiring CKG? I have said from the start that A) you have to give a new coach 5 years to evaluate them and B) her chances of success coming in from where she did were in the range of winning the Powerball odds. To her credit CKG is far ahead of where I expected in high school recruiting, and that is showing a lot of promise to be an upper half BT team in 2-3 years if we don't screw up team chemistry from marginal portal kids. In game coaching? I give CKG a D. I don't feel she game plans well and is even worse in in-game adjustments. Third main coaching skill is player development. She gets an I right now as only 4 players have completed 3 years under her tutelage. I don't want to form a firm judgement off of that sample, BUT none of the 4 have improved since her first year here, and in fact 2-3 of the 4 regressed last season to have one of their worst years here. If this is in fact who CKG is as a coach, we likely have already seen her high water mark and seasons going forward will continue to get progressively worse. This is why no AD that cares even a little about their program would hire an NAIA coach with not one day of D1 coachign experience.
I either missed those videos of her gushing about Smith or interpreted differently than you did. I remember her talking about Smith in the post season and how no one believes in Jayla more than CKG but I never got the sense of excitement towards one player like CKG has been about Amiyah.

Who knows how good Amiyah will be since she hasn't played a game yet, but from everything I've heard, everything I've seen, and the offers she accumulated out of HS, I think she'll be a very good player for us.

No doubt CKG needs some time, she offered alot of the top state kids early on and we should start seeing her reap the rewards next season.

Amiyah was her first offer, Poole I think they were on early, Kira and Avery the following season CKG got on early. So more talent is continuing to trickle in because of her early relationships with these players.

I'm with you on the player development, this coming season is a big decider on if she can develop players. We need to see a nice jump from Stevenson, Jones, and Swanson.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT