ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Spring Portal Tracker

Can confirm Purdue reaching out to Falatea.

Another name to watch is Terren Ward. 5-foot-11 guard from Georgia Southern. Averaged 22 points and 9 rebounds per game this season, career 35% shooter from three.

Interesting that Miss. Falatea mysteriously walked away from the BYU team in December, 2023 after playing in 3 games. She is a 5'9" point guard who had a very good Sophomore year, the year before. She had a nagging injury up to that point that limited her 2023 suit-up time, but she was starting to play again. Her fiancé' was an all-conference Offense Lineman on the BYU football team in 2023. Doesn't mean anything, but it is a bit odd with the timing and vagueness of the report. Could be 100 different reasons though.

Purdue/Gearlds was initially part of her recruitment out of high school. Native of Ohio. Presumably 2 years left. Averaged 5 ppg and 4 rpg this year in ACC but may excel more in a B10 environment.

Reactions: Russ Ford

Perhaps she has formed a relationship in the recruiting process with Komara? Coach K does follow her on IG. Would be another good shooter this team needs. She was one of the top 3 point shooters in the country this season.

Reactions: Russ Ford

Grad transfer I believe. She would be exactly what we need next year. Komara connection. Also she’s a civil engineering major. Purdue has the #4 ranked civil graduate program in the country….

Last edited:
No more than 2 imo.

A post and a shooter. Preferably grad transfers with 1 year left.
Probably, if there’s a third it’s likely a 5th/6th year grad transfer as roster filler. We’ll see if just McKenna leaves, might be another player or two as well.

Okay, maybe we need an experienced point guard from the portal, because we got nothing but freshmen for that spot next year.

Reactions: Brya31
Okay, maybe we need an experienced point guard from the portal, because we got nothing but freshmen for that spot next year.
I’ll have a post tomorrow talking about the off-season, but I think Purdue to go after a scoring combo guard, a wing and a post.

Don’t count out a multi year player at that combo guard spot, either.

Watching this girls game it was mentioned that USC starts 3 Ivy League transfers, that’s crazy when you think about it. I realize they got JuJu but damn, didn’t know that. Also, so nice to see LSU eliminated!

Watching this girls game it was mentioned that USC starts 3 Ivy League transfers, that’s crazy when you think about it. I realize they got JuJu but damn, didn’t know that. Also, so nice to see LSU eliminated!
Ivy doesn't allow a fifth year, so once they got one, the other two followed, all from different teams in the IVY. USC has a top 5 class coming in next year already signed, they will stay tough.

I’ll have a post tomorrow talking about the off-season, but I think Purdue to go after a scoring combo guard, a wing and a post.

Don’t count out a multi year player at that combo guard spot, either.
Excuse me, make that Wednesday

Any news on players leaving? I imagine we know one, any others expected?
Players actually have until May 1st to enter the portal. So might not be anything to report on for a few weeks. Most enter soon after their season ends to have as many options as possible. Coaches typically don’t share who they are speaking with until it’s a done deal, unless visits occur then it’s obvious. I look to hear who we have gotten out of the portal before we’d hear who they are speaking to. I think players are more likely to reveal who they’re talking to before coaches would. Excited to see who we land!

Reactions: DubJellison
Players actually have until May 1st to enter the portal. So might not be anything to report on for a few weeks. Most enter soon after their season ends to have as many options as possible. Coaches typically don’t share who they are speaking with until it’s a done deal, unless visits occur then it’s obvious. I look to hear who we have gotten out of the portal before we’d hear who they are speaking to. I think players are more likely to reveal who they’re talking to before coaches would. Excited to see who we land!
Thanks for this, when is the cutoff for players to choose?

Thanks for this, when is the cutoff for players to choose?
The reality is that several who enter the portal
don’t even get picked up. Another school picking you isn’t guaranteed: Unless I’m mistaken, once in the portal, there is no deadline for a player to pick their school. The issue becomes however, what options the player has to choose from. Wait too long and opportunities are snatched up by other players making quicker decisions. The portal date was moved up to May 1st because Coaches complained that allowing kids to still be entering the portal well into the summer months, didn’t allow for them to get their rosters set for the upcoming season. Moving the date up and shortening the time a player has to decide to enter the portal, allows coaches to know who will be exiting their program, so they can then plan accordingly.

don’t even get picked up. Another school picking you isn’t guaranteed: Unless I’m mistaken, once in the portal, there is no deadline for a player to pick their school. The issue becomes however, what options the player has to choose from. Wait too long and opportunities are snatched up by other players making quicker decisions. The portal date was moved up to May 1st because Coaches complained that allowing kids to still be entering the portal well into the summer months, didn’t allow for them to get their rosters set for the upcoming season. Moving the date up and shortening the time a player has to decide to enter the portal, allows coaches to know who will be exiting their program, so they can then plan accordingly.
Great point. Earlier players jump in the portal, the better. I think that goes for all parties.

I'd imagine admission timing is key for these players as well. They need to be approved by the university and enrolled to be eligible to play.. some schools have deadlines while others have a "rolling admission.".

I'd imagine admission timing is key for these players as well. They need to be approved by the university and enrolled to be eligible to play.. some schools have deadlines while others have a "rolling admission.".
I would think it might depend on the academic program they would be going into as well. I would assume one of the many perks of being a college student athlete is some of those processes and procedures get expedited for them.

Reactions: tomgloe
Couple names to keep an eye on:

Destini Lombard: 5-9 guard. Averaged 10.1 points, 4 rebounds, 4 assists for Stephen F. Austin this year. Started career at LSU

Tess Heal: 5-10 guard. Averaged 19.5 points, 4.9 assists and shot 35% from three for Santa Clara this year.

Lombard was the WAC Defensive POY. Assume she would be a grad transfer with year left. She did have a 19 pt 3 Reb 3 ast game in a 5 pt loss to a good Alabama team this year. Seems very athletic.

Heal from Australia from Santa Clara, looks like a good get, similar to Ellis but taller maybe? She had some good games against good teams.

Carmin mentioned Ricki Harris from OSU today, also mentioned Petri’s younger sister coming on a visit. The Bass girl was also mentioned, she’d be a nice get. Carmin said 3 seem about right for transfers.

Reactions: tomgloe
Mahri Petree, Lasha’s sister is in the portal out of UTEP. Would seem to be a grad transfer with 1 year left. 6’ wing similar to her sister. Transferred to UTEP last year from Bradley. Played in 2 games before suffering a season ending injury. Averaged 8.3 ppg, 3.7 rebounds, this year. A career 39% 2fg shooter. 34% 3fg shooter.

Not an overwhelming stat line… nor would be a very exciting add.

Reactions: Gesysp and tomgloe
I feel we will be an attractive spot for one or two under the radar additions. Unless there is a tie-in like a brother/sister, coach tie, location to home, etc., it may be tough to get a well-sought pick-up here right now. But, you never know. Stats can lie a bit sometimes with injuries, upperclassmen ahead of them, personal stuff, etc.

Mahri Petree, Lasha’s sister is in the portal out of UTEP. Would seem to be a grad transfer with 1 year left. 6’ wing similar to her sister. Transferred to UTEP last year from Bradley. Played in 2 games before suffering a season ending injury. Averaged 8.3 ppg, 3.7 rebounds, this year. A career 39% 2fg shooter. 34% 3fg shooter.

Not an overwhelming stat line… nor would be a very exciting add.
As the third brought in with 1 year left I suppose it’s ok, I agree though, not going to move the needle.

Reactions: Gesysp
Destini Lombard and Mahri Petree will both be on campus this weekend for official visits, per source.
I was thinking of taking 1 or the other. Not thrilled and slightly perplexed about adding both as they seem to be very similar players. Tall, athletic wings. Neither seem to have been demonstrated scorers at their lower level conferences. We need players who can put the ball in the hoop. Badly. Not 2 more Smiths.

Last edited:
Reactions: SKYDOG and Gesysp
I was thinking of taking 1 or the other. Not thrilled and slightly perplexed about adding both as they seem to be very similar players. Tall, athletic wings. Neither seem to have been demonstrated scorers at their lower level conferences. We need players who can put the ball in the hoop. Badly. Not 2 more Smiths.
Petree hasn’t really done much, plus coming of an injury, I mean Purdue needs more than that. The girl from Australia that played for Santa Clara was something I was hoping happened. I guess we’ll see, of these two Lombard seems like the better player.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT