ADVERTISEMENT

Love this headline at Hoosier.com

DcEKRVNW4AY6d00.jpg

Wonder if ACE was in the crowd that day? 🤔

They all look like ACEs.

• Haha
Reactions: Schnelk and delarno
For what it's worth (from an outsider's perspective--not deliberately asking for Indinia-style insults) this year will be a rare "stars are all aligned" moment for Purdue to hard-wire establish itself nationally. This type of year last occurred at IU in 2012, when we had Cody, Vic, and Yogi in the starting lineup. Needless to say, that team's Sweet Sixteen loss was not good enough to permanently establish Crean.

Purdue has a chance this year to cement a national reputation on two levels: 1) they have plenty of talent and experience to win against anyone, and 2) they have a true featured/lotto NBA-level developed player. Ivey is also the only player on the roster that is kind of irreplaceable--he's the only guy that can regularly break down a defense off the bounce.

If Purdue succeeds with both of those items; win commensurate to their potential, and keep Ivey healthy and as a poster child for Purdue lotto picks, the good times will sustain themselves. If not? Anything less will be a net negative. The good news for Purdue is that both criteria for sustained success are eminently achievable.
You don't have an outsiders perspective as an indinia fan, do you? Nice try. Rare opportunity? Purdue has had a few under Painter. Just off the top of my head 2010 when Purdue was a 1 seed lock when Robbie went down. No team was better than Purdue then and Purdue was all over the news. 2018 as a 2 seed when Isaac was pulled to the floor and injured...thus the hook and hold rule was born. 2019 Purdue was only a 3 seed but was a breath away from final 4 and Carsen gave Purdue a lot of pub plus Painter was NCOY. This year we have a potential lottery pick in Jaden, yes, but having a really good team provides more recognition than just having a drafty guy or two on the team.

For what it's worth (from an outsider's perspective--not deliberately asking for Indinia-style insults) this year will be a rare "stars are all aligned" moment for Purdue to hard-wire establish itself nationally. This type of year last occurred at IU in 2012, when we had Cody, Vic, and Yogi in the starting lineup. Needless to say, that team's Sweet Sixteen loss was not good enough to permanently establish Crean.

Purdue has a chance this year to cement a national reputation on two levels: 1) they have plenty of talent and experience to win against anyone, and 2) they have a true featured/lotto NBA-level developed player. Ivey is also the only player on the roster that is kind of irreplaceable--he's the only guy that can regularly break down a defense off the bounce.

If Purdue succeeds with both of those items; win commensurate to their potential, and keep Ivey healthy and as a poster child for Purdue lotto picks, the good times will sustain themselves. If not? Anything less will be a net negative. The good news for Purdue is that both criteria for sustained success are eminently achievable.
I agree to an extent, but Painter and Crean are very different coaches and I don’t think that the program will take a step back if Purdue loses in the Sweet 16 (like IU’s did).

This has been a slow build for Painter. I remember the end of the 13-14 season as kind of a low point. At the time, when programs were to be ranked in the state, many observers saw Purdue as fourth behind IU, Notre Dame, and even Butler. I remember Painter saying at the time that the key to turning it around was recruiting Purdue guys and he has done that ever since.

At this point, it’s hard to argue that Painter doesn’t have the strongest program in the state. Some might point to Woodson’s roster overhaul as evidence that IU is back, but Woodson really hasn’t proven that he has rebuilt the program yet. I do think that a Final Four appearance could help take Purdue to the next level, but the future looks bright, regardless.

Appreciate the rational post.

Agree somewhat. It's also important to note that Matt Painter's reputation (history?) is that he is a very consistent coach, recruiter, and developer.

Nobody wants to miss opportunities.

We heard similar comments before Hummel went down with his first ACL tear, then we heard that Purdue will not be able to sustain that level of talent.

We heard similar comments with Vince Edwards, Isaac Haas, Carsen Edwards, Dakota Mathias.

We heard similar comments with Carsen Edwards Jr year when they came within 0:01 of the final four.

Matt Painter has some serious talent on this roster, with additional talent coming in.

Nobody could ever replace that team with Hummel, et al. Nobody could ever replace the talent with Vince Edwards, et al. Nobody could ever replace a Carsen Edwards. I believe the same will be true with Jaden Ivey.

I doubt there are more than 4-5 active coaches that have had the sustained success Matt Painter has had over the past 16 years.

Agree somewhat. It's also important to note that Matt Painter's reputation (history?) is that he is a very consistent coach, recruiter, and developer.

We heard similar comments before Hummel went down with his first ACL tear, then we heard that Purdue will not be able to sustain that level of talent.

We heard similar comments with Vince Edwards, Isaac Haas, Carsen Edwards, Dakota Mathias.

We heard similar comments with Carsen Edwards Jr year when they came within 0:01 of the final four.

Matt Painter has some serious talent on this roster, with additional talent coming in.

Nobody could ever replace that team with Hummel, et al. Nobody could ever replace the talent with Vince Edwards, et al. Nobody could ever replace a Carsen Edwards. I believe the same will be true with Jaden Ivey.

I doubt there are more than 4-5 active coaches that have had the sustained success Matt Painter has had over the past 16 years.
Every year between 2016-2019, we had IU fans on here saying, “well they better win this year because next year they lose Hammons/Biggie/Vince, Haas etc/Carsen…”

Agree that the Hummel team was similarly prepared to win over any other team. Also agree that Painter has done an excellent job building, and that Purdue has become consistently good in a Keady-like way. Crean had some success after the Zeller/Oladipo team (a B1G championship +Sweet 16) but he was never, never consistently good. My point was that Crean had a concurrence of good stuff that he did not take advantage of.

So my summary takeaway was slightly different. I cited two criteria that could propel Purdue from a team that is consistently good into a destination school for top 20-30 talent. I'm sure I'm leaving some out, but it seems to me that super-high level talent consistently goes where they think they can win at a really high level, and where they can be a lotto/first round pick.

The Hummel and Edwards teams had only one of those two criteria -- enough horses to beat anyone. However, neither of those teams had anyone that fit the second criteria--players who were developed into the promised land of the lotto. My team has some nice recruiting advantages, and one of the most effective ones is the regular appearances of Isiah Thomas, Eric Gordon, Victor Oladipo (and now Mike Woodson) on campus. That's three eras for all family members who visit, and the tributes to Bill Garrett throughout the program are also very effective. UK, Duke, and Kansas have even more examples of their program putting guys on the biggest stage (though it took some big booster side payments to get many of them). To a 17 year old five star recruit that stuff can truly matter.

With Ivey, this Purdue team has a chance at both of those elements. He is by far the best Purdue NBA prospect since G Robinson.

Last edited:
Agree that the Hummel team was similarly prepared to win over any other team. Also agree that Painter has done an excellent job building, and that Purdue has become consistently good in a Keady-like way. Crean had some success after the Zeller/Oladipo team (a B1G championship +Sweet 16) but he was never, never consistently good. My point was that Crean had a concurrence of good stuff that he did not take advantage of.

So my summary takeaway was slightly different. I cited two criteria that could propel Purdue from a team that is consistently good into a destination school for top 20-30 talent. I'm sure I'm leaving some out, but it seems to me that super-high level talent consistently goes where they think they can win at a really high level, and where they can be a lotto/first round pick.

The Hummel and Edwards teams had only one of those two criteria -- enough horses to beat anyone. However, neither of those teams had anyone that fit the second criteria--players who were developed into the promised land of the lotto. My team has some nice recruiting advantages, and one of the most effective ones is the regular appearances of Isiah Thomas, Eric Gordon, and Victor Oladipo on campus. UK, Duke, and Kansas have even more examples of their program putting guys on the biggest stage (though it took some big booster side payments to get many of them). To a 17 year old five star recruit that stuff can truly matter.

With Ivey, this Purdue team has a chance at both of those elements. He is by far the best Purdue NBA prospect since G Robinson.
Good post.

…... I'm sure I'm leaving some out, but it seems to me that super-high level talent consistently goes where they think they can win at a really high level, and where they can be a lotto/first round pick.

The Hummel and Edwards teams had only one of those two criteria -- enough horses to beat anyone. However, neither of those teams had anyone that fit the second criteria--players who were developed into the promised land of the lotto. My team has some nice recruiting advantages, and one of the most effective ones is the regular appearances Isiah Thomas, Eric Gordon, Victor Oladipo (and now Mike Woodson) on campus…
Pul-eez….
There are WAAAY too many holes in this tortured attempt to prop up Indina as a “preferred destination” for five-star talent using your twin criteria:

- the NBA is overflowing with players who eschewed high- level winner schools— it’s the ultimate meritocracy

- furthermore, to imply that Purdue hasn’t regularly produced NBA- ready talent ignores the facts: are you saying that GRob, Etwaan Moore, Hummel( pre- knee blowout) Brian Cardinal, Brad Miller, Jerry Schisting, Frank Kendrick, Mount, all came out of Purdue “not ready” for pro basketball?? (Of course, what they accomplished once in the pros is another story).
IMO the only real distinction here is one of sheer luck— Purdue basketball has been colossally cursed with a ridiculous spate of injuries at the worst possible time…
For every Indinia hump who still moans about Scott May in 1975: you have no clue about devastating injuries!

Pul-eez….
There are WAAAY too many holes in this tortured attempt to prop up Indina as a “preferred destination” for five-star talent using your twin criteria:

- the NBA is overflowing with players who eschewed high- level winner schools— it’s the ultimate meritocracy

- furthermore, to imply that Purdue hasn’t regularly produced NBA- ready talent ignores the facts: are you saying that GRob, Etwaan Moore, Hummel( pre- knee blowout) Brian Cardinal, Brad Miller, Jerry Schisting, Frank Kendrick, Mount, all came out of Purdue “not ready” for pro basketball?? (Of course, what they accomplished once in the pros is another story).
IMO the only real distinction here is one of sheer luck— Purdue basketball has been colossally cursed with a ridiculous spate of injuries at the worst possible time…
For every Indinia hump who still moans about Scott May in 1975: you have no clue about devastating injuries!
Those Purdue guys you listed were, without exception, far, far better college players than pro players, and except for Robinson, they were not high draft picks. And other than Robinson, I’m guessing that none of them were NBA all stars, though most were rotation players at some point.

My primary point was that Ivey is the first Purdue lotto prospect since GRobinson, and that’s extremely helpful when recruiting top 25 players.

Those 17 year olds know who Isiah is (usually), they all know about Oladipo and Eric Gordon, and pretty much none of them know who anyone is on your list of Purdue greats (they don’t know about Scott May either, and he was a top five pick.)

Those Purdue guys you listed were, without exception, far, far better college players than pro players, and except for Robinson, they were not high draft picks. And other than Robinson, I’m guessing that none of them were NBA all stars, though most were rotation players at some point.

My primary point was that Ivey is the first Purdue lotto prospect since GRobinson, and that’s extremely helpful when recruiting top 25 players.

Those 17 year olds know who Isiah is (usually), they all know about Oladipo and Eric Gordon, and pretty much none of them know who anyone is on your list of Purdue greats (they don’t know about Scott May either, and he was a top five pick.)
Understand your point but it is flawed. It has been well known for years now that it doesn't matter what school you attend because the talent shows regardless. Universities have little influence on getting players to the NBA, but coaches known for development can make a difference. Recruits are well informed now and know this. Ja Morant and many others have proven the school itself doesn't matter.

Understand your point but it is flawed. It has been well known for years now that it doesn't matter what school you attend because the talent shows regardless. Universities have little influence on getting players to the NBA, but coaches known for development can make a difference. Recruits are well informed now and know this. Ja Morant and many others have proven the school itself doesn't matter.
Well stated and I agree but I’d say the point remains.

For sure, extraordinary talent like Morant or Curry can comes from anywhere. But top tier recruits, while not guaranteeing top tier results, increase the odds of them.

And for every top 25 player that chooses a program without marquee NBA players, there are a slew that choose teams that have produced NBA all stars. My point is that a final four gets some recruiting boost, and that household name NBA players get even more.

Well stated and I agree but I’d say the point remains.

For sure, extraordinary talent like Morant or Curry can comes from anywhere. But top tier recruits, while not guaranteeing top tier results, increase the odds of them.

And for every top 25 player that chooses a program without marquee NBA players, there are a slew that choose teams that have produced NBA all stars. My point is that a final four gets some recruiting boost, and that household name NBA players get even more.
Yes, I understand your point clearly, so no need to rephrase it. Let's use a real data point. Jaden Ivey, who is the potential lottery pick that you referred to in your earlier post, said he chose Purdue because of the coaching, honesty, family feel and winning nature of the current program. That to me makes more sense than a 17 year old caring about an NBA player who was drafted 40 years ago from the same school 5 coaches ago.

Let me put it this way, two of my kids are in high school and are recruiting age, and even I was only 3 years old when Isiah Thomas was drafted. I don't know him as an iu guy because I only really watched him play late in his NBA career. My kids certainly don't either.

Reactions: RossMackey

Brad Miller was an NBA All-Star.

Steve Sheffler and Carl Landry also spent several years in the NBA. Not stars, but they had nice careers.

Yes, I understand your point clearly, so no need to rephrase it. Let's use a real data point. Jaden Ivey, who is the potential lottery pick that you referred to in your earlier post, said he chose Purdue because of the coaching, honesty, family feel and winning nature of the current program. That to me makes more sense than a 17 year old caring about an NBA player who was drafted 40 years ago from the same school 5 coaches ago.

Let me put it this way, two of my kids are in high school and are recruiting age, and even I was only 3 years old when Isiah Thomas was drafted. I don't know him as an iu guy because I only really watched him play late in his NBA career. My kids certainly don't either.
The only Isaiah Thomas that kids know is the 5’-9” one who played for Boston, Cleveland, etc.

Reactions: delarno and Schnelk
Brad Miller was an NBA All-Star.

Steve Sheffler and Carl Landry also spent several years in the NBA. Not stars, but they had nice careers.

I took a look at his numbers. I knew he scored well for the Kings, but he had a loooong NBA career and was a two time All-Star, and one of those years was as a Pacer. Those career stats are strong.

He doesn't seem to get love from Purdue fans commensurate with his success compared to some others. He accomplished way more than say, Scheffler or Cardinal, yet those guys get constant mentions. Wonder why that is?

Last edited:
Reactions: BoilerAndy
The only Isaiah Thomas that kids know is the 5’-9” one who played for Boston, Cleveland, etc.
I think you underestimate da yutes today. Zeke is a top 50 all-time player and a lot of young kids know who he is.

If nothing else, most high school players locked in on the Jordan/Bulls series on ESPN last summer. They saw all kinds of Isiah vs Jordan legend through that.

I think you underestimate da yutes today. Zeke is a top 50 all-time player and a lot of young kids know who he is.

If nothing else, most high school players locked in on the Jordan/Bulls series on ESPN last summer. They saw all kinds of Isiah vs Jordan legend through that.
Yeah young players probably only know Thomas for his basketball career if they know him at all, but my most recent memories of him are more as the guy who bankrupted the CBA, and ran the Knicks into the ground. Oh and that matter of sexual harassment with the Knicks that cost them millions. His time with the Pacers, ehh that was pretty forgettable I guess.

I was going to say that Etwaun Mooore is still a player in the NBA too. While not a huge star anymore (if he ever was), he's still playing in the NBA, so, if young players today don't know who he is, they aren't paying attention to the NBA...

Yeah young players probably only know Thomas for his basketball career if they know him at all, but my most recent memories of him are more as the guy who bankrupted the CBA, and ran the Knicks into the ground. Oh and that matter of sexual harassment with the Knicks that cost them millions. His time with the Pacers, ehh that was pretty forgettable I guess.
If one and all forget everything about his time as an exec and only remember him as a player? I'm sure that would suit Isiah just fine.

If one and all forget everything about his time as an exec and only remember him as a player? I'm sure that would suit Isiah just fine.
Pete Rose says hello….

Regardless, there is no shortage of holes in your tortured button- popping about Indinia having this super-scary recruiting advantage…

I’ll take Matt Painter’s no-nonsense honestly over dusty banners and “lotto” promised land snake oil pitches every day of the week.

And it looks like more and more top- shelf in-state kids are coming to the same conclusion.

I do remember Isaiah. He was a heck of a college player at IU, for Knight. Unfortunately his notoriety will mean little to current recruits. Everything at IU that made those teams great is gone. Today’s recruits see TJD and three years of frustrations in never reaching the NCAA, versus Carson Edwards who ruled the court and made it far in the tourney. That is what “is”, and that is what is impactful to the kids looking to play at the two schools.

Century long Head-to-head records which Purdue dominates, and old dusty banners of coaches long ago at IU have little influence on the best players. They are great for flame wars between old farts like us, but little else.

:cool:

I do remember Isaiah. He was a heck of a college player at IU, for Knight. Unfortunately his notoriety will mean little to current recruits. Everything at IU that made those teams great is gone. Today’s recruits see TJD and three years of frustrations in never reaching the NCAA, versus Carson Edwards who ruled the court and made it far in the tourney. That is what “is”, and that is what is impactful to the kids looking to play at the two schools.

Century long Head-to-head records which Purdue dominates, and old dusty banners of coaches long ago at IU have little influence on the best players. They are great for flame wars between old farts like us, but little else.

:cool:
Most folks my age remember Isaiah.....
for sucker punching Rosey Barnes!

Yep— Indinia was lucky they dodged Purdue on their way to that ‘81 title😎 Rosie would have ended him!
Great observation. I often think it is the teams you play that determine how far you go in the tournament, not just your talent level.

The thing I remember most about Isaiah Thomas is him not making the dream team because no one liked him.
I long for the days when the Purdue fan base works up a real hatred for a sunnuvabitch IU basketball player. Those type of guys usually have a pretty good record of success. Not much to get pissed off about on an opponent that's compliant. Pretty sure you guys had no major issues with Al Durham or Jerome Hunter lol. Even Crean had Sheehey and, well, Crean himself. Crean raised Purdue's temperature not just because he was odd (yes-he was very very odd), but also because every other year (not every year) IU fought hard under him. Archie? No one cared about him. That is not a good sign at all.

Mike Woodson and Dane Fife were a major pain in the ass for opponents. You guys should hate Race Thompson, but so far he's played for a coaching staff that hasn't showed him how to throw shoulders and elbows. No guarantees but there is hope--Xavier Johnson is a talented hothead, and that is desperately needed IMO.

Last edited:
PS: for the past four or five years, Purdue has consistently had players that piss off the opposition. (Haarms was the worst/best). It’s a really good sign when that happens.

I long for the days when the Purdue fan base works up a real hatred for a sunnuvabitch IU basketball player. Those type of guys usually have a pretty good record of success. Not much to get pissed off about on an opponent that's compliant. Pretty sure you guys had no major issues with Al Durham or Jerome Hunter lol. Even Crean had Sheehey and, well, Crean himself. Crean raised Purdue's temperature not just because he was odd (yes-he was very very odd), but also because every other year (not every year) IU fought hard under him. Archie? No one cared about him. That is not a good sign at all.

Mike Woodson and Dane Fife were a major pain in the ass for opponents. You guys should hate Race Thompson, but so far he's played for a coaching staff that hasn't showed him how to throw shoulders and elbows. No guarantees but there is hope--Xavier Johnson is a talented hothead, and that is desperately needed IMO.
It’s one thing when fans hate a player. It’s quite another when his peers can’t stand him. Not surprising though when you see Isiah pull a cowardly stunt like walking off the floor before game 4 was over against the Bulls in 1991.

Reactions: Abugabby
It’s one thing when fans hate a player. It’s quite another when his peers can’t stand him. Not surprising though when you see Isiah pull a cowardly stunt like walking off the floor before game 4 was over against the Bulls in 1991.
Isiah has been a coach, a GM, and an NBA studio guy since then. He’s got tons of peers that are friends. He was dis-invited because he was the leader of a team that constantly threw on-court nut punches. I get that!

Most guys the opposition fans hate? The opposition players arent all that good with either at the time. But unlike MJ the players get over it. Magic and Isiah, Reggie and Isiah, pretty much all of them are good with Isiah now that playing days are over.

Isiah wasn’t well liked by anyone but the Nasty boys in Detroit. Whether he should’ve been an Olympian or not was his fault.

As for IU, Woodson had no choice but to go all portal, but it’s probably way too little for them to be much of a factor in the Big ten this year. I’m sure their fans are as delusional as ever, but that only makes the annual swoon that much more enjoyable. Besides, they have Reverend Coach Leo rowing each other to a Big ten football championship, right?

I think coach Woodson’ s biggest challenge will be to blend all the odd players he pulled off the transfer portal. IMHO, many of the players found in the portal have issues with their former team that may really be issues with their own attitudes. Did the three-headed brain trust pick carefully? Remains to be seen. Early games will not provide a true perspective because the weak opposition may be completely over whelmed by IU, and will not stress the team’s cohesion.

I took a look at his numbers. I knew he scored well for the Kings, but he had a loooong NBA career and was a two time All-Star, and one of those years was as a Pacer. Those career stats are strong.

He doesn't seem to get love from Purdue fans commensurate with his success compared to some others. He accomplished way more than say, Scheffler or Cardinal, yet those guys get constant mentions. Wonder why that is?
Good question. Maybe it's because we never hear much about his interractions with the university after he left.

In only three pages, I was able to take this thread from IU’s inflated expectations to why Brad Miller is an underrated Boilermaker.

For the win! 🙃

Reactions: BoilerAndy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT