ADVERTISEMENT

Love this headline at Hoosier.com

They have some nice pieces, so I get why they are getting votes and showing up on other preseason top 25 lists. It all comes down to how Woodson puts together a team. Nobody on that roster has won consistently at the college level, including the transfers from losing programs. Can he put guys in the correct roles and and also teach the mental toughness it takes to win over the course of a 5 month season? College and the NBA are different animals. Everyone points to Howard, but the culture and roster chemistry he took over from Belein's Michigan compared to Archie's IU is day and night. I think they will likely make the tourney and get things turned in the right direction, but it's definitely not a lock like some are projecting.

I hope Mike Woodson turns things around in Bloomington. I think he will be better than their last couple coaches. I like when Purdue and IU are both good. It puts the Purdue/IU basketball rivalry back front and center as the best rivalry in college basketball.

No matter what ESPN likes to promote.....the Keady/Knight battles were the best ever.
Eff that. I hope IU never gets back to their former status under Knight and we keep beating them game after game, IU getting better does not help Purdue in any way.

No they would not. Rivalries are mostly very very regional. only the people involved know how much emotion there is and I'm sure there's a rivalry in every state that rivals our own.
Whose in-state rival is tosu? Cleveland State (when not on probation for crimes by other schools)?

How about the Fighting Ill? Southern Ill?

Minnesota, NY, Pa, Mass, RI, Mo, etc?

I can't think of any that rival our own in hoops because Indiana the state is the hoops state.

Last edited:
Whose in-state rival is tosu? Cleveland State (when not on probation for crimes by other schools)?

How about the Fighting Ill? Southern Ill?

Minnesota, NY, Pa, Mass, RI, Mo, etc?

I can't think of any that rival our own in hoops because Indiana the state is the hoops state.
I believe Illinois' in-state rival is Northwestern.

Michigan vs MSU is a big time rivalry, especially when both schools are up, which is mostly the past 20 years. I’d say it has eclipsed the IU-Purdue rivalry in recent years because IU has been so down and uncompetitive.

That’s kinda my point. You can find a lot of people in any of the 50 states that would say Duke/UNC has been the best rivalry over the last 30 years- and it’s not because Vitale and Bilas have brainwashed them. It’s a very objective opinion to have.
No, it is because they actually have been brainwashed by hype that does not recognize the massive cheating behind the rivalry. Locally, unc fans act as if it never happened, even naming the floor after Cheatin Roy.

Keep in mind also that relatively few kids who go to dook actually grew up as dook fans, since so many of the students are rich kids from NY, NJ, and other distant places (such that a local joke is that dook is 'The University of New Jersey at Durham"). Those kids didn't know they would go to dook until their rich parents couldn't get them into harvard, yale and the other overpriced, pompous ivy schools.

In Indiana, kids grow up as clownpants fans, sadly, or Boiler fans, blessed (as do the kids of our far-flung alumni base).

Michigan vs MSU is a big time rivalry, especially when both schools are up, which is mostly the past 20 years. I’d say it has eclipsed the IU-Purdue rivalry in recent years because IU has been so down and uncompetitive.
Michigan was bad before Belein got there. They had been mediocre to bad ever since Steve Fisher was let go.

Butler and nd scare me more every year in the crossroads classic than indinia at ass hall
OOC games are important but not as much as in conference. I know what you mean (Bulter and nd having a better chance to win), but I care more about the conference games. Similar to football where I care much less now about the nd game than I used to.

While true, I guess, Illinois’ historic rivalries with Missouri (my personal favorite, given the uniqueness of that event in St. Louis), Iowa and Indiana have almost always been bigger deals.

Border Wars, but NW is your "most hated rival" according to Jim Delany.

dd1b4b5a-4b85-48d7-80bf-418cb07e178f_text.gif

First, learn how to spell. Yes, I have seen 3 banners hung. Tell me again how many PU banners that you have seen
Wow ACE. You have embarrassed your self more than you usually do. You should be giving your Athletic Department, Football team, and IU fans in general that direction on how to spell.

Last edited:
But ACE is very representative of many IU fans. IU’s banners do give their fans extra street cred, especially when in the presence of Purdue fans. Those banners are a reflection of IU fans high personal standards and demanding excellence, JUST ASK THEM.
Otherwise they are SETTLERS, like Purdue fans.

I hope Mike Woodson turns things around in Bloomington. I think he will be better than their last couple coaches. I like when Purdue and IU are both good. It puts the Purdue/IU basketball rivalry back front and center as the best rivalry in college basketball.

No matter what ESPN likes to promote.....the Keady/Knight battles were the best ever.
With all due respect, I’ve never understood (nor would I ever agree with) this line of thinking….
Purdue needs to stomp the ever-living CRAP out of Indinia every chance they get.
How in the world does Purdue ever benefit from a strong program down there? We perennially fight them for top talent in a basketball goldmine, and we’ve battled the “other school” basketball perception nationally for decades— IMO there should NEVER be a question in recruits’ minds as to which school and basketball program is superior!

For what it's worth (from an outsider's perspective--not deliberately asking for Indinia-style insults) this year will be a rare "stars are all aligned" moment for Purdue to hard-wire establish itself nationally. This type of year last occurred at IU in 2012, when we had Cody, Vic, and Yogi in the starting lineup. Needless to say, that team's Sweet Sixteen loss was not good enough to permanently establish Crean.

Purdue has a chance this year to cement a national reputation on two levels: 1) they have plenty of talent and experience to win against anyone, and 2) they have a true featured/lotto NBA-level developed player. Ivey is also the only player on the roster that is kind of irreplaceable--he's the only guy that can regularly break down a defense off the bounce.

If Purdue succeeds with both of those items; win commensurate to their potential, and keep Ivey healthy and as a poster child for Purdue lotto picks, the good times will sustain themselves. If not? Anything less will be a net negative. The good news for Purdue is that both criteria for sustained success are eminently achievable.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT