ADVERTISEMENT

Lots of skeletons starting to come out about Hazell's time...this one is unreal...

I think it was right across from where Potbelly's is now but I'm not sure what actually exists in that same location.
Egyptian Cafe and Hookah Lounge. Worked for them for a number of years as a live DJ on the weekends. Place used to get crazy when the state allowed 18+ until they began to over regulate bars/restaurants about 10 years ago. Great Mediterranean/Middle Eastern food with an American flavor to it. Recommend the buttered chicken or the spicy fries if you go and the hookah is the only place in town you can smoke flavored tobacco. Same people own the coffee shop that is around the corner (not Greyhouse).

Looks like chains galore. Scotty's is a local chain but that has been pretty good. I read about the State Street project last fall which will completely change the Chauncey area if/when they do that.
They want it to be much more like Broadripple and I think the effect could be positive if they actually connect the Landing to Chauncey a bit more.

What was the bar on the levee next to the McDonalds where all the under aged football players would go, and then get caught under aged drinking? There were the two in Lafayette on 6th street called the Chatterbox and something else when you got kicked out of one, you crossed the street and went into the other one?

Across from the Chatterbox was the Squirrel Cage.

Ah yes, the squirrel cage. I thought that was the name. I have relatives who lived a block away and they talk about all the rats who would crawl out of the chatterbox and go into the squirrel cage.

And I always thought the Peking was a very classy restaurant . Although as a student, it was too classy and expensive for me. But now, it would be a place I would probably go to once a week.

As for current restaurants, sometimes the oldest are still the best. xxx, Bruno's, mountain Jacks, MCL, Dog and Suds are still around for a reason. Sargent Prestons is ok. The Italian restaurant inside the Holiday Inn in Downtown Lafayette is Ok. We visited Purdue two months ago. Two restaurants we really liked were down in the levee near Bruno's. One was an Italian restaurant that I saw the football coaches eating lunch at: Pucinni's The other was an Irish pub and grill that had great food and a nice change of pace from pizza , steak and all the franchise restaurant food: Nine Irish brothers

Last edited:
Veno's pie was really good too.
Didn't Veno's start out in that little corner spot on the NW corner on University? A lot of different places have been in there over time. In the early 70s it was the Student Onion then later I think Veno and Olga ran it.

Didn't Veno's start out in that little corner spot on the NW corner on University? A lot of different places have been in there over time. In the early 70s it was the Student Onion then later I think Veno and Olga ran it.
FYI, Veno Paraskevas was a linebacker on Purdue's 1967 Rose Bowl team and was unanimous all Big-Ten, first team, in 1969.

FYI, I've been around Purdue since the early 60s. I know who Veno is and used to hang out at his place many years ago.

It was also the B&G, I think in-between. We used to refer to it as the Barf and Gag.

Olga is a realtor in West Lafayette.

Just read Brohm's thoughts about the team in the review posted by G&B. He probably shakes his head every day wondering what the hell the old coach was doing. Zero depth everywhere. The state of Indiana never recruited. O-line horribly under developed. Huge chunks of the team recruited at the same time which leads to even bigger recruiting imbalances. This is a true resurrection project gentlemen. The next two years wont be good in terms of wins.

Reactions: Bippus33
Just read Brohm's thoughts about the team in the review posted by G&B. He probably shakes his head every day wondering what the hell the old coach was doing. Zero depth everywhere. The state of Indiana never recruited. O-line horribly under developed. Huge chunks of the team recruited at the same time which leads to even bigger recruiting imbalances. This is a true resurrection project gentlemen. The next two years wont be good in terms of wins.

part of the problem was Hazell recruited projects and then never developed them. So two years later, most of them are still projects. As Nat noted, we are currently two over our scholarship limit. We have the max amount of players. Our problem remains a lack of quality depth. Many of the projects Hazell recruited and redshirted are still not ready to make significant contributions. this is what caused me to hate redshirting players, because under Hazell, they didn't bulk up or improve, and some took a step backwards by being a redshirt. the key to our future success is player development. the key to our immediate success is how many of brohm's recruits can make significant contributions their first year at Purdue. .We've got to have 1-2 of his offensive line recruits step up and play. We need Beach to be a beast !

Something I like about brohm is that he added more Jucos and transfers than any previous coach. he knew we had glaring holes, and was looking for immediate fixes while allowing others time to develop. hopefully, those more experienced players can contribute immediately rather than just provide bench depth.

another rumor: Brohm's 2018 recruiting class will not be the worst in the BIG 10.

It was Tiller who left huge holes in the depth chart, Hope who ignored Indiana in recruiting, and Hazell who added a fuel truck to the already burning dumpster fire. It's always easy to point the figure at just the predecessor but this train wreck has been 12 years going.

It was Tiller who left huge holes in the depth chart, Hope who ignored Indiana in recruiting, and Hazell who added a fuel truck to the already burning dumpster fire. It's always easy to point the figure at just the predecessor but this train wreck has been 12 years going.
Sorry but you haven't been around long enough. Athletic Director George King took a perrennial top ten football team and transformed it into the Mother of All Train Wrecks. What Joe Tiller did was a small miracle.

Myles Brand was a genius compared to George King.

Sorry but you haven't been around long enough. Athletic Director George King took a perrennial top ten football team and transformed it into the Mother of All Train Wrecks. What Joe Tiller did was a small miracle.

Myles Brand was lucky compared to George King.
FIFY!!! I agree Tiller performed a miracle then became tired of the fight with the tight-fisted MB at the end and just played his string out.

I'm well aware of what Tiller did while he was here. But Tiller's last two recruiting classes basically set up Hope for failure, and Hope didn't address those holes while losing the state of Indiana along the way, and then Hazell just dug the hole a whole lot deeper.

Reactions: csboiler
In a recent ESPN article covering Blough's trip to a South African orphanage (link below), Blough was quoted as saying:

"After one of Purdue’s early spring practices in which he made too many mistakes, Blough went back to the football complex around 9 p.m. to watch film. He thought he was alone in the building until Brohm popped into the meeting room. Brohm spent the next 90 minutes breaking down the film with Blough, at one point even getting down on the floor to illustrate where Blough should feel the weight of his plant foot.

“I probably talked to coach Brohm more that night than I did in the last few years with the head coach,” Blough said. “It’s special to me, because he cares.”

HOLY Shhhhhhhh! The starting QB says he has spent more time in one evening of watching film than he did in multiple years under Hazel. More and more I begin to think the biggest inhibitor to the program was Hazel's total lack of any ability to coach. That showed with Parker BUT still his scent was on the program.

Link: http://www.espn.com/blog/bigten/pos...-spring-break-helping-south-african-orphanage

I doubt that you would find Tiller talking technique with the QB late at night. Tiller was more of a CEO coach then people remember. Tiller was successful using the CEO approach (but I think Tiller was more hands on in recruiting)

I'm well aware of what Tiller did while he was here. But Tiller's last two recruiting classes basically set up Hope for failure, and Hope didn't address those holes while losing the state of Indiana along the way, and then Hazell just dug the hole a whole lot deeper.
So are you saying that Hope would have had great success IF Tiller had left him stocked with All Americans and that he would have turned the reigns over to Hazzell and left him equally well stocked and equally successful??? Nope. Hope didn't address the shortcomings and was not even average as a coach followed by the biggest thief with the least ability to be a successful D1 head coach in history. No amount of high end recruiting by JT was going to fix their shortcomings as coaches.

Reactions: pboiler18
Morris Bryant was on the NW corner of US 2 and Morehouse Road where you turn to go to Tippecanoe Memory Garden.

Revisionist history but if Hope was left with some semblance of an o-line and a secondary, we likely would seen a few more wins and he might have got an extra year, thus Hazell wouldn't have got hired, and who knows from there.

Revisionist history but if Hope was left with some semblance of an o-line and a secondary, we likely would seen a few more wins and he might have got an extra year, thus Hazell wouldn't have got hired, and who knows from there.

Hope never should have been fired when he was anyway. They should have waited one more year and let him coach the team in 2013 with a bowl game mandate.

Hope couldn't recruit and Haze was worse. That's the Number One problem that needs to be fixed.

Hope had us in back-to-back bowl games. 2013 was a horrible schedule for us to bring in a new coach anyway. I'd have let him coach one more year and when he failed to make a bowl game in 2013 I'd have brought in a new coach then. Probably would be in a much better place today assuming we end up with someone better than Hazell at the end of all that.

Too bad internet boards weren't available in the horrendous 70s and 80s for Purdue football. Should have been depressingly entertaining back then.

The Peking, it was very good.
The Peking was introduced to us by a friend of my dad's who worked at the Alumni Association, Mei Chen. Mei had dated the owner and chef Harry Wu and they were still good friends. Harry had studied at the Imperial School in Peking and after selling the West Lafayette business opened a new location in Beverly Hills where he did very well.

part of the problem was Hazell recruited projects and then never developed them. So two years later, most of them are still projects. As Nat noted, we are currently two over our scholarship limit. We have the max amount of players. Our problem remains a lack of quality depth. Many of the projects Hazell recruited and redshirted are still not ready to make significant contributions. this is what caused me to hate redshirting players, because under Hazell, they didn't bulk up or improve, and some took a step backwards by being a redshirt. the key to our future success is player development. the key to our immediate success is how many of brohm's recruits can make significant contributions their first year at Purdue. .We've got to have 1-2 of his offensive line recruits step up and play. We need Beach to be a beast !

Something I like about brohm is that he added more Jucos and transfers than any previous coach. he knew we had glaring holes, and was looking for immediate fixes while allowing others time to develop. hopefully, those more experienced players can contribute immediately rather than just provide bench depth.
Keep in mind.... These athletes are one year contract players...Jim Colletto had to let several guys go from the Akers Team because he was afraid that they would get hurt or just could not compete.......

Hope had us in back-to-back bowl games. 2013 was a horrible schedule for us to bring in a new coach anyway. I'd have let him coach one more year and when he failed to make a bowl game in 2013 I'd have brought in a new coach then. Probably would be in a much better place today assuming we end up with someone better than Hazell at the end of all that.
While we are on the topic of bringing in a new coach on a rough up coming schedule!!!
This time we had no choice.....I remember Jim Young`s first year at Purdue.... For a Purdue Football Fan it was a fun season to watch a well coached team that played to their strengths and did not make stupid mistakes...Hoping that is what we see this season!!!

The best place down there was Alphonso's(?) or Alfanos(?) pizza, not so much for the pizza but for the stuffed breadsticks. I remember they were in the coupon book you got when you purchased books at Follett's. The deal was 2 stuffed breadsticks with 2 toppings and with 2 drinks for $9.95. It was the "roommate special" although I always bought it for myself and had one each day. These things were the size of a football. It was so good until maybe fall of 1997 then they vanished. Would not answer the phone then it was disconnected. I later met a delivery person and he said it was like the Baltimore Colts- just left in the middle of the night. I believe it was in Lafayette- never went there only did delivery. Man were those things bright spots in an otherwise pizza desert.
Oh yeah! I'd have to give their radio commercial jingle an A+, being that as soon as I read this post their old jingle went through my brain with their phone number at the end "SEVEN FOUR THREE - 0 NINE THREE NI-HINE...YEAH! Lol

Reactions: RegionWarrior101
Keep in mind.... These athletes are one year contract players...Jim Colletto had to let several guys go from the Akers Team because he was afraid that they would get hurt or just could not compete.......

I don't recall that, but I distinctly remember that being the case with Joe Tiller when he first arrived and him getting rid of several members from Colletto's team; are you possibly confusing the two time periods?

Myles Brand was a genius compared to George King.
IU has been through a lot of ADS in the last 50 years and I don't know what Football Coaches Brand hired ,but none of them had great success either.Mackey hired Bob DeMoss and I think King hired Agase,Young,Burtnett and Akers.I think George hired Coletto also.Tiller did perform a miracle .I will always admire Brand for having the guts to fire Knight.

Reactions: nagemj02
I don't disagree about the fault ultimately being with the head coach but really I think the person I'd look at under that staff that should have been developing the QBs is John Shoop. Our QBs literally got worse the longer they played under him. Then they transferred and started at decent SEC programs. The one season we had under Malone was the only time a QB appeared to get better.

Just saying that I understand why the head coach would be the guy to interact more with the QBs on this staff than on most other coaching staffs, including our last one.

While I was never impressed with Hazell from the day he was hired (as many here were and are reluctant to admit it...), I agree that this is not exactly earth shattering.

Football head coaches don't spend tons of "hands on" time with players, particularly on an individual basis.

Reactions: TC4THREE
Remember when Frank Kmet came off the field and decked one of the coaches?

Morris Bryant was on the NW corner of US 2 and Morehouse Road where you turn to go to Tippecanoe Memory Garden.

Boy that’s a blast from the past..... Morris Bryant’s. Football team use to eat there a lot! ( back in the day....)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT