ADVERTISEMENT

Lots of skeletons starting to come out about Hazell's time...this one is unreal...

JohnnyDoeBoiler

All-American
Sep 23, 2013
West Lafayette
In a recent ESPN article covering Blough's trip to a South African orphanage (link below), Blough was quoted as saying:

"After one of Purdue’s early spring practices in which he made too many mistakes, Blough went back to the football complex around 9 p.m. to watch film. He thought he was alone in the building until Brohm popped into the meeting room. Brohm spent the next 90 minutes breaking down the film with Blough, at one point even getting down on the floor to illustrate where Blough should feel the weight of his plant foot.

“I probably talked to coach Brohm more that night than I did in the last few years with the head coach,” Blough said. “It’s special to me, because he cares.”

HOLY Shhhhhhhh! The starting QB says he has spent more time in one evening of watching film than he did in multiple years under Hazel. More and more I begin to think the biggest inhibitor to the program was Hazel's total lack of any ability to coach. That showed with Parker BUT still his scent was on the program.

Link: http://www.espn.com/blog/bigten/pos...-spring-break-helping-south-african-orphanage

In a recent ESPN article covering Blough's trip to a South African orphanage (link below), Blough was quoted as saying:

"After one of Purdue’s early spring practices in which he made too many mistakes, Blough went back to the football complex around 9 p.m. to watch film. He thought he was alone in the building until Brohm popped into the meeting room. Brohm spent the next 90 minutes breaking down the film with Blough, at one point even getting down on the floor to illustrate where Blough should feel the weight of his plant foot.

“I probably talked to coach Brohm more that night than I did in the last few years with the head coach,” Blough said. “It’s special to me, because he cares.”

HOLY Shhhhhhhh! The starting QB says he has spent more time in one evening of watching film than he did in multiple years under Hazel. More and more I begin to think the biggest inhibitor to the program was Hazel's total lack of any ability to coach. That showed with Parker BUT still his scent was on the program.

Link: http://www.espn.com/blog/bigten/pos...-spring-break-helping-south-african-orphanage
This is so nuts, and nobody ever noticed or cared, maybe we should feel fortunate to get as many wins as we did.... was it 9 I think?

Well Brohm has a ton of experience playing that position. Makes sense he would have more to offer than a WR coach.

Well Brohm has a ton of experience playing that position. Makes sense he would have more to offer than a WR coach.

In review of our posts. There isn't a lot we disagree on. But the NBA and this we're in disagreement. Not an excuse for not getting better play out of your QB. Buck stops at head coach.

Reactions: JohnnyDoeBoiler
Clearly something was going on or not going on for the Boilers to be as bad as they were. Brohm should be able to make noticeable improvements right away. The wins will then come.

Hazell is yet another piece of Burke's unremarkable legacy with the major sports.

In review of our posts. There isn't a lot we disagree on. But the NBA and this we're in disagreement. Not an excuse for not getting better play out of your QB. Buck stops at head coach.

I don't disagree about the fault ultimately being with the head coach but really I think the person I'd look at under that staff that should have been developing the QBs is John Shoop. Our QBs literally got worse the longer they played under him. Then they transferred and started at decent SEC programs. The one season we had under Malone was the only time a QB appeared to get better.

Just saying that I understand why the head coach would be the guy to interact more with the QBs on this staff than on most other coaching staffs, including our last one.

Reactions: Indy_Rider
Clearly something was going on or not going on for the Boilers to be as bad as they were. Brohm should be able to make noticeable improvements right away. The wins will then come.

I think this as well. People look at some anecdotal evidence and shake their heads about how bad the last coaching staff was as if the evidence on the field wasn't enough.

I do believe the team Brohm inherits is thin at spots and will lack the talent to win much near the top of the Big Ten in the first year or two (beyond that it's about his recruiting) but I tend to think we will see noticeable improvement fairly quickly and we'll be more competitive than people think. That just comes from switching from a coach that did not know what he was doing to even just a decent coach. I think Brohm might be far better than just "decent" but even if that's all he is then it will be a great improvement and that will show.

CEO head coach to a fault. To others' point though. What kind of input could Hazell even give him other than "Don't turn the ball over" and "Here read this manual". Jeff and Brian Brohm are QB's by trade which is why if you are going to call yourself the cradle of quarterbacks, and attract talent at that position, you should have coaches that think like one.

There are many, many aspects of the game that would have required Hazell to work closely with the QBs apart from just the techniques of QB play. These include leadership, implementing the game plan, etc. Doesn't matter that he was formerly a WR coach. His role at Purdue was HC, not WR coach. But the big takeaway is that Blough seems to think Hazell didn't care. Wow

There are many, many aspects of the game that would have required Hazell to work closely with the QBs apart from just the techniques of QB play. These include leadership, implementing the game plan, etc. Doesn't matter that he was formerly a WR coach. His role at Purdue was HC, not WR coach. But the big takeaway is that Blough seems to think Hazell didn't care. Wow

I don't think all head coaches have the same degree of involvement with the same areas equally. The point was that anyone would expect Brohm to be more engaged with the quarterbacks. Also, if it took this story to clue anyone in that some things just weren't going well under Hazell then they just weren't paying attention.

Reactions: pboiler18

I bet Hazell was too busy taking
REALLY hard looks at the film to bother with talking to Blough.

This is really eye opening.

How do film corrections and review actually happen? Do the coaches watch and then review with players? Do the players re-watch an entire game? How does scouting work? Do the players know what to look for?

I would think that at this level- learning how to "watch tape" would actually need to be taught. Maybe I'm crazy, but I would think the amount of tape in High School vs College is materially different. Learning what to actually do with it and how to study would seem to be a 'learned skill'. I'm sure some HS programs have amazing video. I'm guessing some of the players we are getting - may not have had such an opportunity.

I think the most positive comment is that Brohm was in the building at 9PM in the spring.

Reactions: nagemj02
This is really eye opening.

How do film corrections and review actually happen? Do the coaches watch and then review with players? Do the players re-watch an entire game? How does scouting work? Do the players know what to look for?

I would think that at this level- learning how to "watch tape" would actually need to be taught. Maybe I'm crazy, but I would think the amount of tape in High School vs College is materially different. Learning what to actually do with it and how to study would seem to be a 'learned skill'. I'm sure some HS programs have amazing video. I'm guessing some of the players we are getting - may not have had such an opportunity.

I think the most positive comment is that Brohm was in the building at 9PM in the spring.
Talked to one of the wives of the coaches yesterday afternoon and she mentioned that the staff was pretty amazed at the total lack of culture and toughness within the program. What was also mentioned was the lack of depth and how it was pretty evident that what was ahead of the coaches was a big challenge. From her words though, the coaches are confident in getting it turned around and believe that there are some very good pieces to work with but 'a dam needs more than just a few pieces to patch the hole that is causing the leak.' Thought that was a pretty good analogy.

Talked to one of the wives of the coaches yesterday afternoon and she mentioned that the staff was pretty amazed at the total lack of culture and toughness within the program. What was also mentioned was the lack of depth and how it was pretty evident that what was ahead of the coaches was a big challenge. From her words though, the coaches are confident in getting it turned around and believe that there are some very good pieces to work with but 'a dam needs more than just a few pieces to patch the hole that is causing the leak.' Thought that was a pretty good analogy.

That's crazy...Not to pick at an old scab - but this is where Mitch Daniels and the BoT failed. He sat in that stadium week after week - watched attendance drop, watched the program fall - and he didn't make a change.

Of course - he's the President of the University - not an Athletic Director - but.... for goodness sake - don't you just send someone (with a football mind) over there to poke around and see what the heck is going on. If it was that much of a mess - I would have thought someone with a football mind would have sorted it out quickly.

I think Mitch was in denial that there was a problem (probably getting that from Burke) - and he let the problem fester for too long (at least 1 year too long, I think 2 years). I would expect that when he retires and people ask him about mistakes he made - there is a chance this makes the list.

Good news that the new coaches are working hard. It will take some time - but if we are at least moving up in trajectory - that will be great.

Reactions: dbartn
Ultimately its unfair Hazel stayed as long as did. Brohm will put people in the stands. Just p*sses me off we wasted years being the laughing stock of the conference.
No different than The Clapper at IU. If somebody is going to give you free money for screwing up you take it without being embarrassed.

That's crazy...Not to pick at an old scab - but this is where Mitch Daniels and the BoT failed. He sat in that stadium week after week - watched attendance drop, watched the program fall - and he didn't make a change.

Of course - he's the President of the University - not an Athletic Director - but.... for goodness sake - don't you just send someone (with a football mind) over there to poke around and see what the heck is going on. If it was that much of a mess - I would have thought someone with a football mind would have sorted it out quickly.

I think Mitch was in denial that there was a problem (probably getting that from Burke) - and he let the problem fester for too long (at least 1 year too long, I think 2 years). I would expect that when he retires and people ask him about mistakes he made - there is a chance this makes the list.

Good news that the new coaches are working hard. It will take some time - but if we are at least moving up in trajectory - that will be great.

Mitch should have cut bait earlier, but they needed to deal with Burke first.

To be honest, I don't think much attention had been given to Purdue football for the past 7+ years by a Purdue President. Football was kind of taken for granted in the later Tiller years as if a coach could work miracles without an infrastructure, financial alumni base, and university support. I believe being part of the BIG 10 network and the revenue it provided made our administration a little lazy in its oversight of its biggest and most significant sport and cash cow. The idea of building a new sports facility is welcomed as a start. But there is so much more needed to regaining a winning culture, spirit and PRIDE.

I personally find this comment very true. After blindly walking in to Tiller and his success, Burke still fumbled that away by not giving Tiller not only what he wanted but what he needed.

Personally, I don't think Burke's job description had winning as the top priority. I think his job was first and foremost to stay on budget. Win as much as you can within that budget, but stay within it. As revenues skyrocketed while Burke was in office and others poured money back into their programs, Purdue chose not to. I don't think Burke chose the budget he had to work within although he might have been better served to speak up and say that we needed to do more to stay competitive with our conference peers.

At least that was my view of the situation. Burke was just a "yes" man to the President and BOT which served him well because that's who he ultimately had to answer to. Until the football program became embarrassingly bad under Hazell, neither the President (any of them) or the BOT were motivated (due to fan and alumni discontent) to solve those issues.

Reactions: TheGunner
Personally, I don't think Burke's job description had winning as the top priority. I think his job was first and foremost to stay on budget. Win as much as you can within that budget, but stay within it. As revenues skyrocketed while Burke was in office and others poured money back into their programs, Purdue chose not to. I don't think Burke chose the budget he had to work within although he might have been better served to speak up and say that we needed to do more to stay competitive with our conference peers.

At least that was my view of the situation. Burke was just a "yes" man to the President and BOT which served him well because that's who he ultimately had to answer to. Until the football program became embarrassingly bad under Hazell, neither the President (any of them) or the BOT were motivated (due to fan and alumni discontent) to solve those issues.

I would ultimately agree with that. Burke was given a budget, and he didn't have any cost over run. But he also didn't try to increase his revenues to increase his budget. As I look at Purdue, I also look at the restaurants around it. The XXX and Dog and Suds have been there forever, but have put very little back into their business. They exist primarily based on past tradition. In the 70's and 80's you had Mountain Jacks, the Oaks, Cork and Cleaver, Morris Bryant, MCL cafeteria, Pizza King and Pizza Keg, Noble Romans, the Chocolate Shop, Sarge Biltz, Hour Time, and Bruno's. The older posters will remember those places. The younger posters will wonder what I'm talking about. Many of those places no longer exist. But Bruno's remains one of West Lafayette's best restaurants because it saw the need to move, and reinvest in itself.

And so it is with Purdue football. It's great to stay within a budget, and talk about traditions and the old days . It's great to relive the Breese years. But if that is all you do, you will end up being an old memory just like Morris Bryant (a 4 star restaurant) and the many other old Lafayette area restaurants. To be continually successful, you can't rest on the past accomplishments. You need to reinvest in your self and your future. that's what Bruno's did.

Reactions: Mobes and nagemj02
"Morris Bryant was partially destroyed by a fire on April 23, 1994. Rebuilt a year later, it was completely destroyed not by a fire but by a tornado on its grand reopening day. Soon thereafter, thoughts of resurrection were abandoned once and for all."

https://pardonmyredundancy.wordpress.com/tag/morris-bryant-smorgasbord/

Eerily similar to Purdue Football. J.T. leaves, M.B1 turns to D.H1 who did his best and it was ok like a partial fire, then M.B1 turns to D.H2 and from opening day on, it was destroyed by a tornado. A few Purdue Presidents came and went, then a necessary change had to occur. M.B2 was hired, then fired D.H2 in the first half season of Football. Coach J.B. hired bringing pretty much an entire staff including his brother and Purdue will rise from the ashes. I'm confident that by year 2 we will be entertaining on the scoreboard similar to scoring was when Tiller was here.

My wish list for intangibles to get recruits on target:
  • Get the ROTC's in the endzone with the Howitzer going. Loud as hell and fun for TD's
  • Get the Av. Techs chartering flights to targetted recruiting bases. Pick up the paying alums along with a key recruit to bring them here for a Saturday afternoon game. Gray area I know...but do it anyway. Charters are public flights and can be scheduled in advance.
  • Half the home games need to be Late afternoon or Night games.
  • Add more speakers around the stadium for Train Horn to blare at Decibels just under "pain level" ~ 110 dB. Every point scoring, Turnover recovery, and Win should get the blast.

"Morris Bryant was partially destroyed by a fire on April 23, 1994. Rebuilt a year later, it was completely destroyed not by a fire but by a tornado on its grand reopening day. Soon thereafter, thoughts of resurrection were abandoned once and for all."

https://pardonmyredundancy.wordpress.com/tag/morris-bryant-smorgasbord/

Eerily similar to Purdue Football. J.T. leaves, M.B1 turns to D.H1 who did his best and it was ok like a partial fire, then M.B1 turns to D.H2 and from opening day on, it was destroyed by a tornado. A few Purdue Presidents came and went, then a necessary change had to occur. M.B2 was hired, then fired D.H2 in the first half season of Football. Coach J.B. hired bringing pretty much an entire staff including his brother and Purdue will rise from the ashes. I'm confident that by year 2 we will be entertaining on the scoreboard similar to scoring was when Tiller was here.

My wish list for intangibles to get recruits on target:
  • Get the ROTC's in the endzone with the Howitzer going. Loud as hell and fun for TD's
  • Get the Av. Techs chartering flights to targetted recruiting bases. Pick up the paying alums along with a key recruit to bring them here for a Saturday afternoon game. Gray area I know...but do it anyway. Charters are public flights and can be scheduled in advance.
  • Half the home games need to be Late afternoon or Night games.
  • Add more speakers around the stadium for Train Horn to blare at Decibels just under "pain level" ~ 110 dB. Every point scoring, Turnover recovery, and Win should get the blast.
I didn't know Morris Bryant was destroyed by a tornado. What a shame as we went there before or after every game.

1800 block of US 52 North. In general area on east side of hwy where Menards is now.

From the early 1960's up thru around 1992 or so you could eat at the smorgasboard on friday nites- it was all you could eat, roast beef, ribs, scallops, crabs, shrimp and my favorite lobster tail for around $ 15- $ 20.

On football home game weekends during those years Purdue teams would leave the Union on friday night and team buses would empty out at Morris Bryants. I remember rubbing elbows with Bob Griese, Leroy Keyes,Mark Herrman, Bart Burrell etc, while standing in line

1800 block of US 52 North. In general area on east side of hwy where Menards is now.

From the early 1960's up thru around 1992 or so you could eat at the smorgasboard on friday nites- it was all you could eat, roast beef, ribs, scallops, crabs, shrimp and my favorite lobster tail for around $ 15- $ 20.

On football home game weekends during those years Purdue teams would leave the Union on friday night and team buses would empty out at Morris Bryants. I remember rubbing elbows with Bob Griese, Leroy Keyes,Mark Herrman, Bart Burrell etc, while standing in line

They had a fire and were planning/starting to rebuild to modernize the building and expand. A little over a month after the fire and construction began, the tornado that struck West Lafayette (http://www.nytimes.com/1994/04/28/us/indiana-twister-kills-2-in-path-of-destruction.html) in 1994 ran through the building. They decided to simply leave the business and sell the land to what is there now...Village Pantry.

Reactions: SIBoiler2
and Morris Bryant was more than just an all you can eat Smorgasbord . it was an elite restaurant - one you took your prom date to or ate at for Mothers Day. Rather than just serving roast beef , gravy and mashed potatoes, it served slices of prime rib, lobster, shrimp and other fine foods.

and that's how I remember Purdue football. At one time Purdue football was an elite program. but it seemed like its owner just didn't want to try to build it back up to where it once was. I know purdue football can be elite. I've witnessed and experienced it. But to be elite, you have to want to be and that comes fro the top down!

Pizza Keg or Pizza King? I grew up on Pizza King.

Pizza king used to have a big restaurant on HWY 52 and Salsbury. Now they are more into delivery like Dominoes. Their pizza was always great . Arnies in Lafayette Square was the same. Pizza keg was across the street from Vons next to Follett's University book store. . Noble romans had a reputation for their deep dish square pizza. the pizza I liked best was from a place next to Vons called Gryners(?) - I believe.

I spent more time eating than watching football.

Pizza king used to have a big restaurant on HWY 52 and Salsbury. Now they are more into delivery like Dominoes. Their pizza was always great . Arnies in Lafayette Square was the same. Pizza keg was across the street from Vons next to Follett's University book store. . Noble romans had a reputation for their deep dish square pizza. the pizza I liked best was from a place next to Vons called Gryners(?) - I believe.

Growing up I always loved Garcia's Pizza...currently Hot Box.

Was gryners that big place on the corner of the strip mall? blarf

My dad always picked up from the pizza king on klondike. Grandmother and aunt always ate at arnies.

I thought the quality of Morris Bryant declined quite a bit before they closed. Was not much better than Old Country Buffet last time I was there. Also, there were a lot fewer patrons. Mountain Jacks is still around, and was still pretty decent last time I was there, although again, a much smaller crowd than in its hey day. New restaurants have come in like Nine Irish Brothers, McGraws and others that are good in their own way and drawing the crowds.

I see the same for Purdue FB. Rather than try to recreated Morris Bryant in its hey day, time for a new brand of Purdue football that is tuned to this era.

My dad always picked up from the pizza king on klondike. Grandmother and aunt always ate at arnies.
Arnies was still awesome as hell in the 2002-2006 time slot. The meat lovers was a thing of beauty. My big eatin' friends and I used to call the joint Meatsquares.

Hey where you guys headed... meatsquares. You in?

That was Garcias pizza if you're talking about Chauncey

and Morris Bryant was more than just an all you can eat Smorgasbord . it was an elite restaurant - one you took your prom date to or ate at for Mothers Day. Rather than just serving roast beef , gravy and mashed potatoes, it served slices of prime rib, lobster, shrimp and other fine foods.

and that's how I remember Purdue football. At one time Purdue football was an elite program. but it seemed like its owner just didn't want to try to build it back up to where it once was. I know purdue football can be elite. I've witnessed and experienced it. But to be elite, you have to want to be and that comes fro the top down!
Elite? Maybe back in Jack Mollenkopf's day.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT