ADVERTISEMENT

Kicker Daniel Obarski Offered last night

BigTimeAt69

All-American
Nov 27, 2005
Westfield
Kicker Daniel Obarski according to Twitter was offered last night. Seems to be at Purdue a lot and dad is an alumn. Guessing he commits. Ranked #8 kicker (5star) by the clothing store Kohls.

just curious. Why are we offering a scholarship to a kicker when we already have Dellinger as a junior? Do we really need two kickers on scholarship? Admittedly I said the same thing last year when we signed Evans.

Yes. You should always have two kickers.

We currently have 5 kickers and 2 punters on our the roster - with 2 kickers and 1 punter on scholarship. Do other teams have 2 kickers and 1 punter all on scholarship?

I see a lot of big name school interest shown for punters and kickers, , but I'm not seeing other big name schools making actual offers other than Purdue. Cormier had a lot of interest, but only one scholarship offer; from Purdue. Obarski has offers from Army and Air Force.

I recall Austin McGehee was a punter who chose Purdue over Arkansas because we offered him a scholarship and Arkansas offered him to be a preferred walk-on. Purdue was his only big name scholarship offer and the only reason he signed with Purdue. he later left without ever playing for personal reasons. he ended up at Fullerton College and is now headed to North Texas. if Purdue hadn't offered him a scholarship, he would have gone to Arkansas as a walk-on.

this makes me ask the question, if other schools can get punters and kickers as walk-ons, why does Purdue use a scholarship? and why would Purdue use 2 scholarships for their kickers? and 1 for their punter? to me that's like NFL teams using a 1-2 round draft pick on a kicker when there are plenty just as good who are willing to sign on as FA.

I'm not questioning their talent or ability. I just believe Purdue should be able to attract a kicker and punter who are just as good as walk-ons rather than dedicating 3 scholarships to our kicking game.. I'm not really thrilled about giving a scholarship to a long snapper or kick holder either. they are important positions, but to me, not worth giving out a scholarship. .

We currently have 5 kickers and 2 punters on our the roster - with 2 kickers and 1 punter on scholarship. Do other teams have 2 kickers and 1 punter all on scholarship?

I see a lot of big name school interest shown for punters and kickers, , but I'm not seeing other big name schools making actual offers other than Purdue. Cormier had a lot of interest, but only one scholarship offer; from Purdue. Obarski has offers from Army and Air Force.

I recall Austin McGehee was a punter who chose Purdue over Arkansas because we offered him a scholarship and Arkansas offered him to be a preferred walk-on. Purdue was his only big name scholarship offer and the only reason he signed with Purdue. he later left without ever playing for personal reasons. he ended up at Fullerton College and is now headed to North Texas. if Purdue hadn't offered him a scholarship, he would have gone to Arkansas as a walk-on.

this makes me ask the question, if other schools can get punters and kickers as walk-ons, why does Purdue use a scholarship? and why would Purdue use 2 scholarships for their kickers? and 1 for their punter? to me that's like NFL teams using a 1-2 round draft pick on a kicker when there are plenty just as good who are willing to sign on as FA.

I'm not questioning their talent or ability. I just believe Purdue should be able to attract a kicker and punter who are just as good as walk-ons rather than dedicating 3 scholarships to our kicking game.. I'm not really thrilled about giving a scholarship to a long snapper or kick holder either. they are important positions, but to me, not worth giving out a scholarship. .
Perhaps Brohm views with interest the NFL stat that 6 of the top 12 scorers in the league last season were kickers

I think the higher rated kickers get scholarships. We could probably get lower rated kickers as walk ons. I know I would like a Wiggs type kicker again. He was a real weapon for us. Our placekicking has not been the same since he graduated.

Reactions: BoilerFan89
If you could get the #8 kicker why wouldn't you. With his dad being an alum we probably have a real shot at it. We offered Evans knowing we would have two scholarship kickers for two years, why wouldn't we do the same for two kickers for one year? I know Evans was more of a known commodity but he wasn't exactly top 10 material either. If it is true he is preferred walk-on I assume that comes with a wink-wink he will be our scholarship kicker his sophomore year after Dellinger leaves provided he can deliver. That is best case scenario as you then have a year to make sure a guy works out for you before you commit to giving him full time kicking duties and lock up a scholarship for multiple years.

he could also red shirt his freshman year.

it just strikes me odd that Purdue will be signing two of the best kickers and punters in the country , and neither has a scholarship offer other than from Purdue.

What do those other power schools do?

he could also red shirt his freshman year.

it just strikes me odd that Purdue will be signing two of the best kickers and punters in the country , and neither has a scholarship offer other than from Purdue.

What do those other power schools do?

Well there are only 65 power conference teams nd if you only want one Schollie kicker and punter that means you offer 1 per 4 years so less than 20 will probably get scholarships each year and many will only get 1 or 2 offers. It is only June, I suspect since they can afford to be picky most teams are waiting to make their offers until after they can evaluate the players during their senior season. Last year many ended up g erring scholarships. Wasn’t there a lot of drama behind the Georgia kicker that he was a walk on all year and his family was upset he did not have a scholarship despite being ones of the top kickers?

I also remember several walk-on punters and kickers at Purdue who were better than their scholarship counterparts. That is why I questioned last year why we gave a scholarship to Evans when we already had a kicker on scholarship.

I can see the need to have several kickers and punters on the roster. but when so many other successful big name schools use walk-ons, it makes me wonder why Purdue doesn't follow their lead.

I repeat - it's not about the talent. it's more about the efficient use of available scholarships.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT