ADVERTISEMENT

Keys' defense passes test; pre-OSU notes/video ...

KODK

All-American
Nov 9, 2004

Andreona Keys likes to frustrate an opponent.

And lately, that’s happened frequently. Purdue’s junior wing might be playing the best defense of her career, and it’s showing up in the results. During the Boilermakers’ three-game winning streak, she’s limited the opponent’s top scorer, particularly Michigan State’s Tori Jankoska and Penn State’s Teniya Page.

And when those opponents get a little flustered, that’s when Keys feels she’s won.

“To me, that makes me excited because I’m like, ‘Yes, I’m really messing with you this much,’” she said.

Keys has been a defensive tone setter. In the last three games, the Boilermakers are allowing only 54 points per outing. That’s likely to get tested by No. 11 Ohio State, the league’s second-highest scoring team at 88.5 points per game, at 3:30 p.m. Sunday in Mackey Arena.

But Keys feels Purdue (12-6 overall, 3-1 in the Big Ten) is as ready as it could be for the Buckeyes (14-5, 4-1). And a reason is her own defense. Keys forced Jankoska into 6-of-18 shooting, allowing her 16 points but forcing her into six turnovers; and Page had only six points on eight field goal attempts.

Keys, a versatile 5-foot-10 wing, is using her physicality to her advantage. Although she might not be the quickest, she understands angles and positioning, and frequently can use her strength.

“I’m feeling more confident about defense now and really just trying to get after people and make guarding the best player on the other team something that I really want to do and something that I enjoy,” Keys said. “It’s becoming more natural for me.

“I take a lot of pride in it. I know that if that person doesn’t score, it forces other people to try to score. It’s not so much about limiting everything that they do, but Coach (Sharon Versyp) says limit their points, limit what they do. I just want to make it tough for them. Sometimes, I need a quick break and tell a teammate to guard them, but then I’m right back to it.”

Keys wasn’t playing as well early in the season, she thought, but started to embrace the role lately. And it’s been a major reason why Purdue has played more effectively of late.

She’ll face a major test Sunday in OSU guard Kelsey Mitchell, who averages 23.2 points per game.

“Early on, she didn’t think she was playing very good defense and we didn’t either,” Versyp said. “But I think she was challenged by that and watched a lot of video, and get back to your identity and that’s who she is. That’s really what helps create our team. She is playing at another level and we need her to continue to do that through the Big Ten.”

• The Buckeyes can score, featuring six players who average at least eight points per game.

But beating Ohio State isn’t only about limiting its scoring; it’s as much about scoring, because the Buckeyes’ defense has been leaky. They rank second-to-last in defense in the Big Ten, allowing 72.6 points per game. And when Michigan State beat OSU on Tuesday, it scored 94 points.

“They put up a bunch of points,” Keys said of the Buckeyes. “And that’s what we’re going to have to do if we want a chance at beating them.”

Purdue will have to exceed it’s season scoring average, of 65.8 (10th in the Big Ten), if it wants to have a chance. But it still needs to defend and rebound.

“I think we’re a pretty solid defensive team,” said Versyp, whose team ranks first in points allowed, giving up only 55.4 points per game. “With them being able to score the ball well, it’s two-fold: We need to score the ball. … People are scoring against them. We’ve got to keep doing what we’re doing and do a better job on the rebounding end, and then obviously we’ve got to be able to take advantage of opportunities. When we have open looks, we’ve got to be able to knock those shots down.”

• Purdue might get Nora Kiesler back Sunday after the sophomore center has missed the last five games and six of the last seven.

“Hoping she gets through two more practices with contact,” Versyp said Friday. “Everything seems fine, so hopefully the neurologist will let her play on Sunday.”

Kiesler, a 6-6 reserve, is averaging 2.2 points and 2.2 rebounds per game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT