ADVERTISEMENT

Kevin Sumlin Homecoming

Nov 19, 2020
Looks like Sumlin will be looking for employment sooner rather than later. Sure it isn’t pretty at the moment, but he was great at A&M. I say we give him a shot at his alma mater. Surely can’t be worse than what we have going for us now. Who says no?

Reactions: N1bruns
Looks like Sumlin will be looking for employment sooner rather than later. Sure it isn’t pretty at the moment, but he was great at A&M. I say we give him a shot at his alma mater. Surely can’t be worse than what we have going for us now. Who says no?

Buying out Jeff Brohm only to hire Kevin Sumlin would be the most Purdue thing ever. And I’m here for it.

Reactions: mikeysharps1776
Oh, it could be worse. Much worse. Remember Danny Hope. Remember who came after him?

I've become convinced Sumlin got lucky with Manziel as he has not come anywhere to reproducing that success since.

So no, he's not the answer, just another mediocre retread at this point.

Reactions: SKYDOG
I've become convinced Sumlin got lucky with Manziel as he has not come anywhere to reproducing that success since.

So no, he's not the answer, just another mediocre retread at this point.
He did well at Houston before that also, but I’d agree that seems he’s finished now. 0-5 and lose 70-7 to an 0-2 ASU. Ouch.

Reactions: 4IUSox2
Crazy Covid season or not, will be shocked if Sumlin finishes the season out. After 70-7 vs your biggest rival, he may not have a job by Monday afternoon. Not sure what his AZ buyout is, but iirc he made a good amount of $$ on his A&M buyout. Must be nice to cash those kind of checks NOT to work/coach.

Reactions: SKYDOG
I’m all for it, but only as an assistant coach.

Reactions: DAG10 and boiler800
Yeah, all this team needs right now is a head coach or even an assistant coach that has, or had, a drinking problem...

Crazy Covid season or not, will be shocked if Sumlin finishes the season out. After 70-7 vs your biggest rival, he may not have a job by Monday afternoon. Not sure what his AZ buyout is, but iirc he made a good amount of $$ on his A&M buyout. Must be nice to cash those kind of checks NOT to work/coach.
I’m jealous. I would have taken the job for half the price with about the same results. Lol

Reactions: DAG10 and 4IUSox2

Shouldn’t you be busy spying on our b-ball team to make sure they aren’t out at the bars? Could be a wild few days after a win last night.

I wanted Jim Tressel despite the NCAA limitations on hiring him. People are always giving losing coaches second chances. Why not give winning coaches second chances!

the point is Purdue is not financially able to buy Brohm out for several more years! They had a hard enough time buying out Hazell. And Brohm makes twice as much!

and for those who disagree, I encourage you to review previous posts about when people wanted to buy out Hazell. It took Purdue a year longer than fans wanted to be able to afford to buy out Hazell. And in so doing, Purdue didn’t just buy out Hazell and replace him with Brohm. A part of Hazell’s buyout was deferred! There is no way Purdue could hire somebody at Brohm’s current salary and also pay the amount to buy out the rest of his current contract or for that manner pay two head coaching salaries!

it is possible to replace a few assistant coaches! They also say players typically choose schools based on their assistant coaches. Assistant coaches tend to also be better recruiters than head coaches! Yanni supposedly loved Michigan and was ready to commit several years ago before their assistant coach left! Maybe when thinking of replacing and hiring coaches, Brohm should find a way of luring that assistant to Purdue!

I suspect that he will rehabilitate his career in Tuscaloosa as an volunteer (cough, cough consultant) analyst working for Saban. It has been the path of redemption for a handful of HC’s who have been put into coaching purgatory.

I wanted Jim Tressel despite the NCAA limitations on hiring him. People are always giving losing coaches second chances. Why not give winning coaches second chances!

the point is Purdue is not financially able to buy Brohm out for several more years! They had a hard enough time buying out Hazell. And Brohm makes twice as much!

and for those who disagree, I encourage you to review previous posts about when people wanted to buy out Hazell. It took Purdue a year longer than fans wanted to be able to afford to buy out Hazell. And in so doing, Purdue didn’t just buy out Hazell and replace him with Brohm. A part of Hazell’s buyout was deferred! There is no way Purdue could hire somebody at Brohm’s current salary and also pay the amount to buy out the rest of his current contract or for that manner pay two head coaching salaries!

it is possible to replace a few assistant coaches! They also say players typically choose schools based on their assistant coaches. Assistant coaches tend to also be better recruiters than head coaches! Yanni supposedly loved Michigan and was ready to commit several years ago before their assistant coach left! Maybe when thinking of replacing and hiring coaches, Brohm should find a way of luring that assistant to Purdue!

Jim Tressel is now 68 years old.

I'm very familiar with Jim Tressel. I used to (somewhat) admire Jim Tressel. Reality is, like most people, you have no idea the baggage he had when he left OSU.

Unfortunately, bigs, this is yet another thing you're pulling out of thin air. Tressel would NOT have been a good fit for Purdue, nor would he have survived the screening process.

There's a reason the only "gig" he had was as a "consultant" for the Colts... then a few years later became President of Youngstown State.

I know a lot more about his baggage than you would ever give me credit for. And unlike some, I at least have original ideas and the courage to speak them rather than being a bad wagon fan and saying yup I liked Brom too just because some other poster liked him. I laughed long and hard at how many people loved Hazell when he was first hired and still said after his first 2 years that we should still give him a chance. And then like typical Purdue fans on this board all hated Hazell after his third year!

at the time when asked, I said my choice was Tressel despite his baggage.

as for his age, how old is our current President? What’s the average age of our Senate? If we have no problems with our Congress and President being over 70, why should we care how old a football coach is? Can coaching football be more strenuous than leading our country?

I’d sure like others to be as honest as Twin and actually admit who their choice was rather than be bandwagon fans and just go along with the majority rules! I find it sad with so many intelligent posters on this board that when asked who they would choose to be a football coach, They could only come up with 3-5 names and so many posters rather than using their intelligence and courage to come up with their own personal choice just went along with what somebody else who posts a lot proposed!

I liked Tressel because I felt he could bring in intelligent assistant coaches, would be an effective recruiter in Ohio, had a history of winning at several schools. And I liked his vest!

sure the NCAA filed sanctions against him. Didn’t they do the same against IU’s Sampson? And haven’t many other coaches did the exact same thing? Except they had losing programs so the NCAA looked the other way. Do you truly believe coaches like Pete Carrol and others are clean?

I know a lot more about his baggage than you would ever give me credit for. And unlike some, I at least have original ideas and the courage to speak them rather than being a bad wagon fan and saying yup I liked Brom too just because some other poster liked him. I laughed long and hard at how many people loved Hazell when he was first hired and still said after his first 2 years that we should still give him a chance. And then like typical Purdue fans on this board all hated Hazell after his third year!

at the time when asked, I said my choice was Tressel despite his baggage.

as for his age, how old is our current President? What’s the average age of our Senate? If we have no problems with our Congress and President being over 70, why should we care how old a football coach is? Can coaching football be more strenuous than leading our country?

I’d sure like others to be as honest as Twin and actually admit who their choice was rather than be bandwagon fans and just go along with the majority rules! I find it sad with so many intelligent posters on this board that when asked who they would choose to be a football coach, They could only come up with 3-5 names and so many posters rather than using their intelligence and courage to come up with their own personal choice just went along with what somebody else who posts a lot proposed!

I liked Tressel because I felt he could bring in intelligent assistant coaches, would be an effective recruiter in Ohio, had a history of winning at several schools. And I liked his vest!

sure the NCAA filed sanctions against him. Didn’t they do the same against IU’s Sampson? And haven’t many other coaches did the exact same thing? Except they had losing programs so the NCAA looked the other way. Do you truly believe coaches like Pete Carrol and others are clean?

Wow. Just... wow.

You should have played the "ignorance" card. Not a chance in hell he would have been hired at Purdue. For you to claim you know about his background, yet take the position you would have welcomed him into the Purdue family? That's a horrible look.

His willingness to "turn a blind eye" toward (possibly even facilitate) violations is extensive, and even goes back to his YSU days as a head coach. Numerous scandals have been documented around Mr. Tressel, all with credible evidence.

When he left OSU, it was a foregone conclusion they hadn't scratched the surface. (They hadn't.)

You seem to be willing to accept all that. Anything for the $$$$$$, eh??!

Good grief, bigs. Of all the things you pull out your arse, this ranks right up there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT