ADVERTISEMENT

Kansas

BvAWiFsCIAAocB6.jpg

I wanted Miles. Now that Brohm is here and hasn't shown much, let's evaluate him at season's end. He's had a bit better start than Miles, but certainly not worth what he's being paid.
Ticket sales increased and improved recruiting say he is worth what he is being paid.

back to the turd that miles is laying at Kansas, I was assured by the brain trust here thathe would turn that program around quickly

Ticket sales increased and improved recruiting say he is worth what he is being paid.

back to the turd that miles is laying at Kansas, I was assured by the brain trust here thathe would turn that program around quickly
I have little doubt now that Miles would of made the Haze look like Mark Saban had he come here. We certainly dodged a bullet there to say the least.

I wanted Miles. Now that Brohm is here and hasn't shown much, let's evaluate him at season's end. He's had a bit better start than Miles, but certainly not worth what he's being paid.
I see your frustrations but I really think that CJB Has done a pretty good job considering the cupboard was bare, last year was the most ridiculous amount of injuries ever and he’s having just yet another bit of challenges this year. I’d say he’s not in the hot seat, not for at least another year

Reactions: Purdue85 and BBG
I see your frustrations but I really think that CJB Has done a pretty good job considering the cupboard was bare, last year was the most ridiculous amount of injuries ever and he’s having just yet another bit of challenges this year. I’d say he’s not in the hot seat, not for at least another year
Anyone who is looking at win totals at this point has no idea what they are talking about. The roster was a tire fire when brohm was hired. Anyone who says otherwise is an idiot at the least

That post shows that you are either digging in your heels or have no understanding of the economics of Purdue football.
We could be playing Ohio State for the B1G championship, yet TwinDegrees and Wolegib would be talking about how Brohm isn't worth the money...

Reactions: JRowdy20
I was ok with Miles at that time as he could have pulled in a majority of his LSU staff which cannot be said now at Kansas as some of those coaches moved over over his nearly 3 year hiatus. Miles indicated he was flexible to get beyond the ground and pound and go to more spread offense approach.

Look no further than his record:
Overall145–67
Bowls8–6

When being able to pick up a chunk of the then LSU staff and have that record noted above. That would have been an upgrade in staff with what we had in Haze no doubt about it.
We are now comparing apples and oranges with some of that 2016 LSU staff moving on and settling elsewhere. I look at just the existing OC and DC and neither of those coaches were from his tenure at LSU.
Les Miles just didn't wake up in 2019 and become a crappy coach. The entire staff and rebuild is painfully underway. He may not get to see it thru after this season (who knows).
Bottom line his record at that time & potentially bringing in most if not all that entire LSU staff was appealing at that time. Those variables have changed considerably and it is easy to say not a good candidate in today's present times. I don't think Les Miles is like a Fred Akers, he was better.
His record below shows he clearly could win a lot of games.

2005LSU11–27–11st (Western)W Peach56
2006LSU11–26–2T–2nd (Western)W Sugar33
2007LSU12–26–21st (Western)W BCS NCG11
2008LSU8–53–53rd (Western)W Chick-fil-A
2009LSU9–45–32nd (Western)L Capital One1717
2010LSU11–26–2T–2nd (Western)W Cotton88
2011LSU13–18–01st (Western)L BCS NCG22
2012LSU10–36–2T–2nd (Western)L Chick-fil-A1213
2013LSU10–35–33rd (Western)W Outback1414
2014LSU8–54–4T–4th (Western)L Music City
2015LSU9–35–3T–3rd (Western)W Texas1716

I'm not sure what to think. It seems that Kansas is a career ending move. Les had better years/teams at LSU; but who wouldn't. To me the real talent is who can take a team from the bottom and take them progressively up. Les is not showing that. Well, perhaps he is, but I just don't follow Kansas recruiting. I don't know if Kansas is building their program or not; and don't really care. Right now Purdue is looking like we've made a brilliant hire.

[QUOTE Right now Purdue is looking like we've made a brilliant hire.
[/QUOTE]
I will 100% agree with this statement of Brohm being a brilliant hire.
Brohm appears to be able to able to do fixer uppers. Les Miles is more or less turnkey ready at LSU. Kansas is real brick and mortar work that Les does not appear to be ready to handle.

Les would have been Akers here. We’re not a program that coaches go to die, we’re a program that a really confident coaches can try to make a reputation by making a mediocre program into a winner. That’s our only hook, otherwise we’re IU.

I was ok with Miles at that time as he could have pulled in a majority of his LSU staff which cannot be said now at Kansas as some of those coaches moved over over his nearly 3 year hiatus. Miles indicated he was flexible to get beyond the ground and pound and go to more spread offense approach.

Overall145–67
Bowls8–6

When being able to pick up a chunk of the then LSU staff and have that record noted above. That would have been an upgrade in staff with what we had in Haze no doubt about it.
We are now comparing apples and oranges with some of that 2016 LSU staff moving on and settling elsewhere. I look at just the existing OC and DC and neither of those coaches were from his tenure at LSU.
Les Miles just didn't wake up in 2019 and become a crappy coach. The entire staff and rebuild is painfully underway. He may not get to see it thru after this season (who knows).
Bottom line his record at that time & potentially bringing in most if not all that entire LSU staff was appealing at that time. Those variables have changed considerably and it is easy to say not a good candidate in today's present times. I don't think Les Miles is like a Fred Akers, he was better.

A caveman could win at LSU based on the in state talent they get, along with the booster dollars, which is exactly what Ed Orgeron proved last year. Les Miles apparently wasn't even at caveman level...

Overall145–67
Bowls8–6

With all respect, this is the type of thinking that results in bad hires.

Whether Miles and his former LSU staff know how to coach (I’m sure they do) is irrelevant. Their overall record is irrelevant. You’re not coaching or recruiting against yourself, you’re competing against other staffs who are also talented and motivated.

What matters is how often at LSU they competed against programs with better talent and resources (rarely) and how they did against those programs (not particularly well). Having a good record at a program with superior talent and resources doesn’t translate well to a program where most of your opponents will have the advantage in both areas.

But here's the deal...Ticket sales went up with the last Purdue coach. Then what happened? I'd guess...and it's simply that and trying to stay in a civil conversation that if CB doesn't do well this year he's on a very hot seat.

Overall145–67
Bowls8–6

And that is exactly why I thought he'd be a great hire for PU.

We could be playing Ohio State for the B1G championship, yet TwinDegrees and Wolegib would be talking about how Brohm isn't worth the money...
Pat, not true at all. I've stated I hope he wins big, but I've yet to see much that would indicate he has ability to do so. This year with Moore back, and a roster FULL of HIS Players...he has to win big IMO.

And that is exactly why I thought he'd be a great hire for PU.
Brohm has equaled or beaten Hazell's average attendance number from his first year all 3 years he has coached. Additionally, when Hazell was canned average attendace was 34.5k. Average attendance last year was 54k

Reactions: Level 42
Brohm has equaled or beaten Hazell's average attendance number from his first year all 3 years he has coached. Additionally, when Hazell was canned average attendace was 34.5k. Average attendance last year was 54k
You know Nat, I questioned PU's sanity when they hired the one year wonder and stated as fact on here that I thought he was a horrible hire. I'm just trying to stay honest.

Reactions: Inspector100
You know Nat, I questioned PU's sanity when they hired the one year wonder and stated as fact on here that I thought he was a horrible hire. I'm just trying to stay honest.
Yeah, i wanted Sonny Dykes (who flopped at Cal, but i think that was Cal) or Troy Calhoun. Oh well.

Reactions: Indy_Rider
Pat, not true at all. I've stated I hope he wins big, but I've yet to see much that would indicate he has ability to do so. This year with Moore back, and a roster FULL of HIS Players...he has to win big IMO.
Let's take last season out of play, as I think you'll agree that the injuries Purdue encountered would hinder success for any coach. When you look at his two prior seasons (2017 & 2018), he went 7-6 and 6-7, with Hazell recruits. Hazell won 9 total games in his tenure. When you look at Hazell's recruiting, his 2015, 2016, and 2017 recruiting classes were ranked 67, 80, and 72nd nationally and dead last in the Big Ten each year. That's what Brohm had to work with the first two years. So you'll excuse me if I think you're being completely disingenuous when you state that you haven't "seen much that would indicate he has the ability to do so" (ie, win games)...

Yeah, i wanted Sonny Dykes (who flopped at Cal, but i think that was Cal) or Troy Calhoun. Oh well.
I wanted Dave Doeren or Sonny Dykes back in 2012. Don't recall Calhoun being on the radar screen yet back then. Doeren arguably has done the best job of anyone on the 2012 short list.

I wanted Dave Doeren or Sonny Dykes back in 2012. Don't recall Calhoun being on the radar screen yet back then. Doeren arguably has done the best job of anyone on the 2012 short list.
Yea, i didnt think Doeren would fit with Burke. He is a hell of a coach though.

Let's take last season out of play, as I think you'll agree that the injuries Purdue encountered would hinder success for any coach. When you look at his two prior seasons (2017 & 2018), he went 7-6 and 6-7, with Hazell recruits. Hazell won 9 total games in his tenure. When you look at Hazell's recruiting, his 2015, 2016, and 2017 recruiting classes were ranked 67, 80, and 72nd nationally and dead last in the Big Ten each year. That's what Brohm had to work with the first two years. So you'll excuse me if I think you're being completely disingenuous when you state that you haven't "seen much that would indicate he has the ability to do so" (ie, win games)...
Rebuilds are tough, as demonstrated by Les at KU. Kansas 2019 and Purdue 2017 are very similar starting points talent-wise. The fact that such a successful coach is having such difficulty proves what a tremendous job Brohm has done.

Kansas 4 seasons prior to Les Miles = 6-42 (0.125)
---> Avg recruiting rank = 66 (66,95,55,48)
Kansas first 15 games with Les Miles = 3-12 (0.200)

Purdue 4 seasons prior to Jeff Brohm = 9-39 (0.188)
---> Avg recruiting rank = 67 (56,71,68,73)
Purdue first 15 games with Jeff Brohm = 7-8 (0.467)

Les Miles apparently wasn't even at caveman level...
Les Miles < Caveman. :D
LOL, couldn't help but merge two subjects I enjoy (football and music) to one with Ringo Starr and John Matuszak.

John Matuszak was a local football star, NFL bad boy and lucky to be an actor that died too early due to drug abuse.

Reactions: purduepat1969
Remember this: As bad as Purdue was after Hazell left, Kansas was in a much, much deeper state of trouble. As bad as Purdue was they still would have been a 4-5 win team in the Big 12 with how poor that entire conference is compared to the B1G overall. Kansas has lost to an FCS opponent 3 times in the last ten years. Les would have done some nice things but I think would have reached his ceiling rather quickly at Purdue had he not stumbled upon a really young, talented OC that would have stuck around and possibly agreed to some sort of 'coach in waiting' type of title.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT