ADVERTISEMENT

Kanon Catchings...has anyone on staff or Kanon himself commented on the status of his commitment?

So AAU season kicked off in Atlanta. Indy Heat lost their first game to Boo Williams

Kanon was 4/8 from 2 and 1/2 from 3 for 13pts to lead Indy Heat. The other team had a kid drop 29.

Reactions: SKYDOG and tenwest
With the Billions Nike makes off amateur athletes, one would think the could develop a decent web presence for checking results. Seriously, this is one of the dumber things I’ve seen, and I’ve seen a lot of dumb things.

• Haha
Reactions: Lee3370 and SKYDOG
This is exactly why this loss fell on the shooters/guards/wings shoulders. We depended on Zach all year and we were winning. To bash a guy that helped us in so many ways is just wrong. He was the most efficient player and we surrounded him with guys that weren't hitting shots when needed. Blame the guys not hitting shots....wouldn't that be more logical.
Wow! Somebody who actually watched the game and understood what happened ! Thank you. Any of these fools who thinks we lost because of Edey is just not worth your time responding.

KJ Windham is having an impressive session for MeanStreets. 50% for 3 and averaging 8pts/game. 12 assists to 4 TOs. Still curious the story why we stop showing interest.

Reactions: TooPoorToBleedGold
KJ Windham is having an impressive session for MeanStreets. 50% for 3 and averaging 8pts/game. 12 assists to 4 TOs. Still curious the story why we stop showing interest.
Looks like we’re not the only ones. Offers are all from mid majors. I suspect that now more than ever a 6’1” kid who isn’t a true pg is going to end up starting at a mm and transferring up if they’re a star more often than not. Fewer flyers taken on undersized kids out of hs.

Link - KJ 247

There are going to be a lot of coaches telling those borderline players ‘we really like you but we don’t have room right now. Go kill it at Kent State and call us if you ever think about transferring.’ To the chagrin of many I don’t think Painter will play it that way but many staffs will.

Looks like we’re not the only ones. Offers are all from mid majors. I suspect that now more than ever a 6’1” kid who isn’t a true pg is going to end up starting at a mm and transferring up if they’re a star more often than not. Fewer flyers taken on undersized kids out of hs.

Link - KJ 247

There are going to be a lot of coaches telling those borderline players ‘we really like you but we don’t have room right now. Go kill it at Kent State and call us if you ever think about transferring.’ To the chagrin of many I don’t think Painter will play it that way but many staffs will.
You know who he reminds me of? Nijel Pack. Not a true PG but a tough kid who can get buckets anywhere on the court. Proven winner in high school as well.

Maybe offering now is the logical answer because his price tag after a year or 2 at a MM will make him too expensive for us.

Link - KJ 247

I feel like the tournament was filled with these type of players.

I can remember going to watch IU get beat by IPFW(PFW) and an undersized small forward(John Koncher) chewing them up. It's been happening for a while now.

You know who he reminds me of? Nijel Pack. Not a true PG but a tough kid who can get buckets anywhere on the court. Proven winner in high school as well.

Maybe offering now is the logical answer because his price tag after a year or 2 at a MM will make him too expensive for us.
I’ve not seen the kid play so I can’t comment on him specifically. You’re right though, it ’s going to be tough to find the right balance. Painter is already sticking with hs kids more than most at top 25 level programs, I just don’t see him having the luxury to take many flyers. You’re also right in that there will be kids we pass on that in retrospect would have helped. Tough job.

I feel like the tournament was filled with these type of players.

I can remember going to watch IU get beat by IPFW(PFW) and an undersized Small forward(John Koncher) chewing them up. It's been happening for a while now.
I agree. The problem at Purdue’s level is you don’t have a lot of opportunities to roll the dice on the type of kid that works out 20% of the time. Not saying they couldn’t do better but not a lot have a better rep for talent evaluation than Painter. Everyone misses, it’s a matter of how often.

I agree. The problem at Purdue’s level is you don’t have a lot of opportunities to roll the dice on the type of kid that works out 20% of the time. Not saying they couldn’t do better but not a lot have a better rep for talent evaluation than Painter. Everyone misses, it’s a matter of how often.
I agree. This is where Paint seems to be very good. He's great at bringing in guys that mesh well with his current group.

You mean 'system' guys? Isn't that one of Painters downfalls in recruiting?
I think it depends if you buy into the narrative that all of our players are "one-trick ponies" or aren't athletic enough.

I don't see anything wrong with getting guys who are very good at one or two things and play well as a team in a system

You mean 'system' guys? Isn't that one of Painters downfalls in recruiting?
Who would you say is a 'system' guy on the roster? His 'system' has won games, but his 'system' struggles in the tournament. I wouldn't call Edwards, Ivey, Colvin or Catchings system guys. These are players that do not need his system to be good. These are players that can create offense on their own.

I think it depends if you buy into the narrative that all of our players are "one-trick ponies" or aren't athletic enough.

I don't see anything wrong with getting guys who are very good at one or two things and play well as a team in a system
The problem is, Painter's "system" doesn't work in March. It works great in Nov-Feb, but they don't give our rings for the regular season success.

Additionally, when you have guys that are good at one or two things, what happens when the defense takes that away? An opposing coach knows these one or two things a player likes to do or is good at. When you take that away and make him do things he's not comfortable with, that's where we run into problems with some of our players.

Who would you say is a 'system' guy on the roster? His 'system' has won games, but his 'system' struggles in the tournament. I wouldn't call Edwards, Ivey, Colvin or Catchings system guys. These are players that do not need his system to be good. These are players that can create offense on their own.
I agree on Edwards and Ivey. They're the exception to the Painter rule, and wouldn't ya know it, they went to the NBA....

But if you ask me who our system guys are now:
Loyer, Gillis, Morton, TKR.
Colvin and Catchings haven't stepped foot on the court yet.

I agree on Edwards and Ivey. They're the exception to the Painter rule, and wouldn't ya know it, they went to the NBA....

Yes, but most top 50 guys seem to meet your narrative and 3 out of the 6 don't....so, what gives?

Colvin, I'm assuming is the biggest guarantee to play here. Catchings committed (verbally) under the NIL rules....so, what gives?

If, we lost Catchings it would have more to do with the lack of tournament success than NIL.

Yes, but most top 50 guys seem to meet your narrative and 3 out of the 6 don't....so, what gives?

Colvin, I'm assuming is the biggest guarantee to play here. Catchings committed (verbally) under the NIL rules....so, what gives?

If, we lost Catchings it would have more to do with the lack of tournament success than NIL.
I'm not seeing your point on 3 out of 6?

As another poster said no news is good news. I do think we successfully weathered the storm and at this point I’m expecting him to stay committed to us otherwise he probably would have opened his recruitment back up, but who knows things can change in a hurry. It was never clear exactly why he almost chose to decommit but supposedly it was not nil. Apparently it wasn’t our tournament loss either but that’s where I start to disagree.

All speculation, but after he became a 5 star and we had our ugly loss in the tournament, not only did he most likely have a lot of new attention from schools that weren’t previously recruiting him, but I think he was under a lot of peer pressure and constantly had friends/peers in his ear about the fdu debacle.

Loyer is a versatile scorer. I look for a big sophomore season from him.

We always expect guys to make a big jump between freshman and Soph years, but there's several players that never saw that happen: Newman, Morton, Gillis, Furst.
I hope you're right, but he needs to get a lot stronger.
I would compare him to Purdue freshman guards under Painter who averaged double digit scoring. Loyer is one of a handful who accomplished that and the others had great sophomore seasons/careers.

ADVERTISEMENT